or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › CES 2013 expected to showcase 'embarrassingly large' smartphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CES 2013 expected to showcase 'embarrassingly large' smartphones - Page 4

post #121 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


Let's assume they did and Apple decided to build one, what size would they go with? I don't see them going to the Galaxy S3 size (4.8"), it just looks too bulky:

You have to imagine that display size with Apple's design around it. They have a certain curvature they use in their products and it won't look right if they shrink the bezels down. If they scaled up the iPhone 5 to the same overall height of the S3, the screen actually wouldn't be that much bigger at all:

That means it needs an entirely new design. Their home button is also quite iconic so it's not likely they'll just throw it away.
Well the big phones are just the newest models 1wink.gif. Apple will report the iPhone 5 numbers in a couple of weeks and they'll probably match any of Samsung's best quarters. Samsung also has a habit of reporting shipped units and not sold units. Their tablet sales were actually a very small fraction of what they reported.
But anyway, you could similarly survey S3 buyers and ask if they'd have preferred a smaller phone:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19913940
'"I think from Samsung's point of view its about offering breadth and depth of choice.
There's lots of people out there who think the Galaxy S3 is an amazing phone, but there's a lot who think it's just too big."
He said the impressive early sales of the iPhone 5 will have spurred the need for a smaller competing device.'
Bigger, smaller, it's all subjective. I think the iPhone 5 is just right. It'll never be a perfect size because one size doesn't fit all but as I say I think it's the closest to a single size that works for everyone and still retains a nice iconic design.
Samsung didn't have an iconic design in the Galaxy S series, they made the Galaxy S like the 3G and the S2 like the iPhone 4. The S3 is now their own design finally and that's ok but it wouldn't be ok for Apple to go the same way.
How many people have said this? It's common for people to base these things on their own experience as in "everyone I know..." but it's not really possible to extrapolate that into meaningful stats. Samsung's best-selling phone was recently reported to be Samsung's best-selling phone:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-Prevail-leads-the-way-for-Samsung-in-the-U.S.-from-June-2010-2012_id33180
This is a 3.2" phone with 320x240 resolution. Its selling point is price and that seems to be the defining benefit of Android phones - you can get one for under $200 paid outright with no contract.

Completely agree and I've said similar things in this thread.

 

The top selling Androids are 3 inch phones lacking features even the 3GS had. 

 

Also in the picture you have above of the S3 and iPhone5 the screen size difference doesn't look to be that great and the iPhone is a much better proportioned device.

 

The S3 is ridiculous, and I'm sure a lot of the sales that Samsung includes in S3 numbers are of the S3 Mini which has a 4 inch screen and is half the price (price being the main selling point of any Android phone). All that to say S3 sales numbers are inflated.

post #122 of 193

The Galaxy Note 2 is already buy one get one free. Three months after launch. I love it.

 

You want to talk about disposable crap, I've kept disposable cameras longer than these morons punch out new phones.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #123 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

How many people have said this? It's common for people to base these things on their own experience as in "everyone I know..." but it's not really possible to extrapolate that into meaningful stats. Samsung's best-selling phone was recently reported to be Samsung's best-selling phone:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-Prevail-leads-the-way-for-Samsung-in-the-U.S.-from-June-2010-2012_id33180

This is a 3.2" phone with 320x240 resolution. Its selling point is price and that seems to be the defining benefit of Android phones - you can get one for under $200 paid outright with no contract.

It is interesting that when people read that Android-based phones are leading over the iPhone that it's assumed that it must be because of the models with the gigantic displays in the LTE flagship models. I have no doubt there are plenty of people that love their huge display phones but what is the market size? There were people that absolutely love the 17" MBP and that doesn't seem to have been big enough for Apple to continue. And there were people that thought the netbook was future of computing and yet we're only barely into 2013 when we find out that the last netbook makers are closing shop.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #124 of 193
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
And there were people that thought the netbook was future of computing and yet we're only barely into 2013 when we find out that the last netbook makers are closing shop.

 

They all hadn't already? Been five years, for crying out loud! 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #125 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post


And not just phablets. Most Samsung smartphones today (and basically all other decent smartphones) are well over 4"
I love my iPhone.... but Apple only recently got to a 4" 16:9 screen... something the original Galaxy S had in 2010. And Samsung smartphones have grown ever since.
Galaxy S 4.0"
Galaxy SII 4.3"
Galaxy SIII 4.8"
How big is too big? I dunno... but I'd like the option to get a larger iPhone. Just a little larger 1wink.gif

 

I don't really think I need a bigger phone but I'd love to have a bigger font option on some screens... my vision is a bit poor.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #126 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They all hadn't already? Been five years, for crying out loud! 

Most had but Asus and Acer are finally closing down production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I don't really think I need a bigger phone but I'd love to have a bigger font option on some screens... my vision is a bit poor.

Settings » General » Accessibility » Large Text

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #127 of 193
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

…ultimately I have to choose the phone that works best for me and that means a large display above all else. 

 

Here you go. Two years old, so it should be pretty cheap.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #128 of 193

"phablet"?

 

This has Ballmer's fingerprints all over it. 

post #129 of 193

If Apple was to go to a 4.3" screen like my old Droid-X with the HD screen and the higher resolution screen it would be wonderful. I have found that looking at the 4" screen of my Iphone 5 vs my old Droid-X you can see much more in a equally balanced screen where with the I-phone 5 it is not of the same value. I totally agree that the big screen smartphone are nothing but crazey....Apple keep up the great work and make the screen just a little larger, but will fit in a shirtpocket etc...

post #130 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Here you go. Two years old, so it should be pretty cheap.

Hahaha comical lol.gif

 

 

post #131 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Hahaha comical lol.gif

 

 

Which begs the question --  which is funnier, a phone that's extra big or one that's extra small?   1wink.gif

 

700

 

Heck, remember just a few years ago, when many fans predicted an iPhone Mini ?    No one guessed back then that the next iPhone change would be to a bigger screen!

post #132 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Indeed.  But if you look into the sales figures you will find that despite the press they get, phones over 4.5" in size are fairly rare.  The large phones are prominent in advertising and in web discussions among tech geeks, but they aren't actually a large part of sales.  Check it out and you will find that even if you look exclusively at Android phones, the majority are iPhone sized by far, and the larger ones don't sell as much as people assume they do.  

*Most* phones (even Android phones) are still 4.5" or less even after several years of the industry pushing this "big ass phone" stuff on us.  It's arguable that large phones are neither super-popular, nor anything more than a fad. I wouldn't say Apple will never make a phone in this size, but it's unlikely to happen soon.  

At the very least, you will see phones and tablets from Apple that support styluses before you will see the debut of a "phablet."
Stylus support is the main trigger for more and different iOS device sizes.  Once they have that, you might then see larger and smaller devices than the current three we have now. 

Anyone foolish enough to think that Apple is coming out with a phablet this year or even next, is probably foolish enough to believe that rot about Apple making "smart watches" also.  
Neither are going to happen.   1rolleyes.gif

I'm glad someone said it. Apple and Samsung don't divulge information on which device models sell best, so where do people get this idea that massive phones are selling by the millions? It's entirely possible that the largest share of Android devices belongs to the smaller phones. That would certainly explain why 74% of the smartphone profits end up in Apple's coffers.

And I agree: the next big change for Apple will be the addition of the stylus and handwriting recognition. That's when we'll probably see a wider screen.
post #133 of 193
I would love an iPad or iPad Mini type of device, especially a Mini, that had a phone option. I cannot hear on my iPhone 5. I could not hear well on my iPhone 4 either. As an Apple fan, I hate to make this negative comment, but my flip phones worked better as phones. By the way, isn't the iPhone supposed to be a phone first ?

This is not bad hearing. I have great audio tests and the MD.
post #134 of 193


Like someone has already state about vision and font size, and in my previous post in some other thread as well, there are certain languages, culture and areas where a bigger phone would be better.

 

There is a 11" and a 13" Macbook Air, i dont see why there cant be two size for iPhone as well. There will never be a one size fits all solution.

Apple already has the BEST one handed Phone devices, ( actually i would argue the iPhone 4S was slightly better for one hand ), how about a two handed devices? 

( Actually i just record Apple mentioning how iPad Mini is also a one handed devices as well..........  )

 

For Chinese, or any other type of languages that has complex fonts, larger fonts is much needed. Added with the general poorer visions of users.

 

And NO, the Fonts size solution, large text does not work. It feels everything are out of scale. 

 

I just wish Apple had make the iPhone 3.8" and a 4.5". Same Resolution, just PPI is different.

 

Tablet is both a Content Creation and Consumption devices. I am not so sure on Content creation part on a 5 - 6 inch devices....

post #135 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz 
the next big change for Apple will be the addition of the stylus and handwriting recognition. That's when we'll probably see a wider screen.

They really just need to make your finger behave like a stylus. With a 3D sensor like LEAP, they can detect your finger above the screen. You can see that here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_d6KuiuteIA#t=8s

Say someone comes to the door with a package you need to sign for, they just turn the screen to face you and you just sign your name in mid-air with your finger. If it had a fingerprint scanner of course that would be easier, maybe face detection or a retinal scanner.

Styluses need holders and there is no way Apple will ever compromise that space for a writing stick.

Tactile feedback is another feature I expect to crop up. Imagine the game experiences you'll get being able to feel different types of surfaces. These things I'd expect in the iPhone 6 in 2014 iOS 8 and then they'll have a faster version of that in 2015 iOS 9. By 2016, if they double the performance year on year, phones and iPads will be as powerful as today's desktops and could have 2GB or more of RAM. Perhaps they'll allow you to connect iPads to computer displays and be able to use them as desktop-like machines (iOS X?).

They don't have to have a keyboard/mouse or pointer because you can just sit the tablet flat on the desk in front of the display and have the 3D sensor and capacitive screen for control without looking at the tablet. Internet cafes will simply be BYOD (bring your own device) and you just plug them into a display or use wireless display connection - this is safer for data protection as you are just using your own device.

I still like the idea that Google Glasses aims to satisfy, which is having no real display at all in which case the display size is irrelevant. They can overlay images into your normal vision. This is like what you'd see in Deus Ex Human Revolution or Terminator where objects are identified and highlighted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=inPijjFNNSI#t=46s

You could be sitting on a plane and have a virtual 30" display in front of you and nobody would know. Current tech makes this tricky but a tiny display/projector wuld use much less power than a smartphone display and in a few years, the power draw of the components can be a fraction of what they are now for current performance. If they can fit a battery into the legs of the glasses with a small APU and projector, future smartphones might look like this:



I know people say that everyone wearing glasses (or really just a headband) is not ideal but you wouldn't have to wear them all the time, just when you need to use the device. You still need to take a smartphone out of your pocket. It's not such a big problem putting a pair of glasses on. It's automatically hands-free while driving. Showing someone else what you're looking at is harder but you rarely need to do that with a phone and they can have a wireless link capability.

If they can figure out how to power/charge the device from your body heat and movement, even better.
post #136 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

The elephant in the room that few want to talk about is that the largest group of smart phone customers are the 35-45 year old group. And the over 45 group are also a very large segment of the contract smart phone market as well which makes sense given that it can cost $100  or more per month for services and even with family plans it can be expensive. 

 

Not all of this older group have poor vision, but it certainly is a major factor.  After 40 it makes it harder to focus up close and you need to hold your smart phone a little farther away. This is when a larger display can really help. As more and more over 40 iPhone users get to play with their friends or family members Android phones and see just how much easier it is to read and see objects on the display, this could be a real problem for Apple. Increasing text size is not really a solution because then it looks disproportionately large and it also only works on text messages and email but not the apps people need to use. 

 

I am not saying that only older people with poor vision want larger displays. There are plenty of younger people with perfect vision that also are attracted to it for other reasons. But it seems silly to assert that in 2013 one company can hope to continue to gain market share with a one size solution. 5 or 6 years ago it worked because frankly the competition just plain sucked. The iPhone was leaps and bounds ahead. This is no longer true and it is time for Apple to sell a second model iPhone. Call it the iPhone Pro, iPhone HD, or whatever they want, but they need to compete in this space or risk losing tens of millions of current and future customers.  

 

 

Well, my Wife and I are certainly not young. Our eyesight aint that great. I gave my Wife a 4S as a present in 2011. Since then she has had the opportunity to look at a few Android phones. Regardless of the size of the screen she thought they felt cheap and she liked the feel of the 4S in her hand. Remembering of course that the majority of women have smaller hands.

 

So... what I am saying is that in direct proportion to failing eyesight is declining strength in the hands, smaller hands at that. Hands that find smaller phones much easier to grip.

 

Of course we're both talking in conjecture and anecdotes so it's really difficult to say what the real outcome will be and whether Apple will actually "need" to compete in this space.

 

Oh... and by the way... Apple has a 2 size solution and my Wife absolutely loves the iPhone 5... it fits in her hand even better.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #137 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

They really just need to make your finger behave like a stylus. With a 3D sensor like LEAP, they can detect your finger above the screen. You can see that here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_d6KuiuteIA#t=8s
Say someone comes to the door with a package you need to sign for, they just turn the screen to face you and you just sign your name in mid-air with your finger. If it had a fingerprint scanner of course that would be easier, maybe face detection or a retinal scanner.
Styluses need holders and there is no way Apple will ever compromise that space for a writing stick.

.
agreed styluses are not needed just a finger. Not to mention one of the things Steve jobs would never support is styluses even if there are off brand ones sold, all you need is a hot pen tip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


Tactile feedback is another feature I expect to crop up. Imagine the game experiences you'll get being able to feel different types of surfaces. These things I'd expect in the iPhone 6 in 2014 iOS 8 and then they'll have a faster version of that in 2015 iOS 9. By 2016, if they double the performance year on year, phones and iPads will be as powerful as today's desktops and could have 2GB or more of RAM. Perhaps they'll allow you to connect iPads to computer displays and be able to use them as desktop-like machines (iOS X?).
They don't have to have a keyboard/mouse or pointer because you can just sit the tablet flat on the desk in front of the display and have the 3D sensor and capacitive screen for control without looking at the tablet. Internet cafes will simply be BYOD (bring your own device) and you just plug them into a display or use wireless display connection - this is safer for data protection as you are just using your own device.
some smartphones already have 2 GB of ram, not to mention one on the iPhone 5, is more than needed.
I see what you mean but this is what tablets is for, no need for a larger screen that is still, not to mention you will not need wires, just wifi which is usually at these coffee shops.
IOS X would be IOS 10, I think you meant Mac OS on IOS devices. Cafes will probably only have wifi. Or tablets with wires connected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


I still like the idea that Google Glasses aims to satisfy, which is having no real display at all in which case the display size is irrelevant. They can overlay images into your normal vision. This is like what you'd see in Deus Ex Human Revolution or Terminator where objects are identified and highlighted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=inPijjFNNSI#t=46s
You could be sitting on a plane and have a virtual 30" display in front of you and nobody would know. Current tech makes this tricky but a tiny display/projector wuld use much less power than a smartphone display and in a few years, the power draw of the components can be a fraction of what they are now for current performance. If they can fit a battery into the legs of the glasses with a small APU and projector, future smartphones might look like this:

I know people say that everyone wearing glasses (or really just a headband) is not ideal but you wouldn't have to wear them all the time, just when you need to use the device. You still need to take a smartphone out of your pocket. It's not such a big problem putting a pair of glasses on. It's automatically hands-free while driving. Showing someone else what you're looking at is harder but you rarely need to do that with a phone and they can have a wireless link capability.
If they can figure out how to power/charge the device from your body heat and movement, even better.
the screen would be a futuristic clear, where all you see is it(or through it, wireless link of courses and I guess it would be smart glasses.
post #138 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post


Because I fucking want one!
Also... when I bought a bigger monitor for my desktop... I didn't do it so I could sit further from the screen. I just wanted a bigger screen.
Let me want that!

Want and need are 2 very different things but people often confuse the 2.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefoid View Post

Are you serious?  My TV is situated around 18 feet away from my sofa.  Are you saying I should use a 32" TV and move my sofa ten feet forward?  The reason TV's are getting bigger is because that is what people want, and often it is for practical reasons. 

There's that word again "want". When you were sitting there in front of your 22" analogue TV 20 years ago did you really really WANT that 32" DLP that you saw in the magazine? Of course you did. People want bigger and bigger but they really don't need bigger and bigger. When you had a small analogue TV in your house, was it 18 feet away from your sofa then? I'm guessing not. I'm guessing you just sat closer.

I just don't get why people get bigger TVs so they can just sit further away.

post #139 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

agreed styluses are not needed just a finger. Not to mention one of the things Steve jobs would never support is styluses even if there are off brand ones sold, all you need is a hot pen tip.

 

The trouble with fingers is they visually get in the way.  Most of us don't fingerpaint all day in real life.   We use writing instruments like pens and pencils for better precision, finer control, the ability to see the target without a lump of flesh in the way, etc.

 

This is why there are so many dumb stylii available for the iPad, and it's why more precise active pens are becoming popular with both iPads and competing devices.

 

(A stylus is just a stick that substitutes for a finger or fingernail to a touchscreen.   An active pen uses its own locating and pressure sensing system.)

post #140 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

agreed styluses are not needed just a finger. Not to mention one of the things Steve jobs would never support is styluses even if there are off brand ones sold, all you need is a hot pen tip.

...and yet Apple files for another stylus patent, published just last week. Don't believe all of Apple's public statements. What they say and what they do can appear to be 100% at odds.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/12/apple-invents-advanced-active-stylus-to-work-with-idevices.html

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #141 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Guy at work has the Note 2. He upgraded from an iPhone 4. We were comparing it to my iPhone 5, and yes, the Note 2 screen looks great. Then he started loading up common Apps and I was surprised how badly they looked. There was so much white space because the Apps were scaled. They didn't really display any additional information with the larger screen, it was just spread out with unused space between.
Big screens (including tablets like the iPad) are terrible if the software isn't taking advantage of it.

Can you explain to me how this scaling works? The Note 2 has a resolution of 1,280 x 720 (720p) so there's almost NO reason whatsoever for an app to scale. This is the most common resolution in Android phones today. Can you tell me what app that he was using that has "so much white space"? My brother has a Galaxy Note 2, and so far, I haven't noticed any of "so much white space" issue with the apps that he uses (a lot). It's pretty obvious that a 720p on a 5.5" vs. 4.3" is going to look bigger, but the PROPORTION should be unchanged.

post #142 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

agreed styluses are not needed just a finger. Not to mention one of the things Steve jobs would never support is styluses even if there are off brand ones sold, all you need is a hot pen tip.

A hot pen tip? Either you're not referring to something that is readily available, or capacitive touch screens don't work the way you think it works. The only reason the current system seems pixel-accurate is the loupe, which isn't that efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

...and yet Apple files for another stylus patent, published just last week. Don't believe all of Apple's public statements. What they say and what they do can appear to be 100% at odds.
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/12/apple-invents-advanced-active-stylus-to-work-with-idevices.html

Apple files a LOT of patents, most of them don't become part of an Apple product.
post #143 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

No. Phablets are selling like hotcakes and can be very profitable business. I bet samsung is making a lot of money from each note2 sold.

 

Obviously, phones like the note sell because they are based on hype and their buyers are stupid or have special needs (huge people, poor vision, etc). As soon as phablets lose fashion status (people are seeing a big screen phone as a more advanced phone, despite the fact that the iPhone as a device is 100 steps ahead on everything), phablets (like the note, etc) sales are going down, because they just can't go "bigger".

 

..

Wow such arrogance and over-generalization in your assertion. The Galaxy Note 2 is actually very thin and light for the dimension of 5.5" screen, and it's selling quite well for something that's "stupid". Just because people use it doesn't mean that they are "stupid" or "huge people" or "poor vision". I guess you like to insult people who have different needs than you do.

post #144 of 193
Originally Posted by KevinN206 View Post
…and it's selling quite well…

 

Buy one get one free.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #145 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

[...] I just don't get why people get bigger TVs so they can just sit further away.

 

With due respect, no insult intended, I honestly think you may be the only person in the world who doesn't.

 

We get bigger TVs so we can sit farther away because TV size is a lower priority than room layout.

 

We buy bigger TVs now than we did when TVs used CRTs because we can. Great big CRTs didn't exist so we compromised our preference for practical realities. Now that one can get a big TV for short coin, we don't have to make that compromise anymore.

 

We buy bigger TVs for the same reason people go to theatres. It's more immersive and therefore more enjoyable.

 

We buy big TVs for the same reason we buy Hummers and sports cars or fancy jewelry -- to call attention to our social status. It's a stupid reason, but frankly just the way humans are. Actually, lots of other animals do the same thing, they just do it with intimidating body language or peeing on others.

 

All that aside, screen size has implications for a smartphone that aren't an issue with a TV: selecting items on the screen with a large, imprecise pointer -- a finger. I often accidentally hit adjacent links on web pages and find the iOS keyboard too small for comfort at the present size screen. I would find it much easier to use if the screen were simply scaled up. Scaling up would reduce the pixel density, but given a choice between ease of use and a slightly prettier display, I'll take the former, thanks.

post #146 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Buy one get one free.

 

For the Note 2?   Where?   

 

BOGO is overrated, though.   It's not Get One Free, because the second one requires a thousand+ dollar commitment just like the first one.

 

BOGO is really more like:  buy two identical phones, each with two year contracts, at half price each. 

post #147 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

I'm glad someone said it. Apple and Samsung don't divulge information on which device models sell best, so where do people get this idea that massive phones are selling by the millions? It's entirely possible that the largest share of Android devices belongs to the smaller phones.

 

True, however my purely anecdotal, unscientific observations of my tiny little microsection of the world suggest a shift away from iPhones to big-screen devices.

 

I started taking the train to work in September. I was surprised to see that almost everyone, sitting or standing, was doing something on a phone. I was also surprised to see that almost ALL of them were iPhones. There were a couple of non-Apple phones, but not many.

 

Now, just four months later, I see lots and lots of big screens. I have no idea what kind they are (I'm not up on current offerings) but whatever they are, people are buying them now. I very rarely see an iPhone 5, maybe one every couple of days.

 

The conclusion one draws is that in this admittedly microscopic sampling -- people who commute downtown to work at the same time I do -- iPhones are being replaced with big-screen alternatives, and not many of that group have purchased an iPhone 5.

 

My point is that even if the bulk of Android sales are cheap feature phones, I'm personally seeing such a flood of big-screen phones in my personal life that I believe they are a genuinely significant product segment.

post #148 of 193
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post
For the Note 2?   Where? 

 

Verizon.


BOGO is overrated, though.

 

Totally missing the point.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #149 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If those big-screen devices are truly "embarrassingly large" then it won't be something Apple offers, nor will they be market successes for others. 

And some people thought that Apple would never offer a smaller iPad...

I will NEVER pay $679 for an 8GB plastic cell phone
Reply
I will NEVER pay $679 for an 8GB plastic cell phone
Reply
post #150 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Verizon.

 

Got a link to anything that shows the Verizon Note 2 in a BOGO deal?   (If anything, I think it was BOGO for a cover.)   Thanks!

 

 

Quote:
Totally missing the point.

 

Why go for BOGO anything else, when you could instead get two iPhone 4 in a GOGO deal (Get One Free, Get One Free)

 

Maybe it's because people want the model they're getting.

 

Prices are not the sole reason why a phone is popular, especially in the USA where people tend to spend $100 - $300 extra for a top of the line model.

 

Otherwise the FREE iPhone 4 would outsell the iPhone 4S and 5.

post #151 of 193
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post
Got a link to anything that shows the Verizon Note 2 in a BOGO deal?   (If anything, I think it was BOGO for a cover.)   Thanks!

 

It was an ad on TV. I'll take a picture if I see it again.

 

 

Why go for BOGO anything else, when you could instead get two iPhone 4 in a GOGO deal (Get One Free, Get One Free)

 

The point is it isn't selling. It's a brand new phone, three months old, and they have to give one away for free to get people to take them.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #152 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Want and need are 2 very different things but people often confuse the 2.

Bottom line: If Apple offered a larger screened phone... I would buy it instead of the smaller one.
post #153 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The point is it isn't selling. It's a brand new phone, three months old, and they have to give one away for free to get people to take them.

Verizon is actually in the business of selling contracts... not phones.

They will "give away" a phone in order to lock you into $90 a month for the next 24 months. It can be any phone... from a cheap flip-phone to a Note 2.

Apple doesn't allow their phones to be used in such promotions. But that's not a problem... Verizon doesn't care which phone you get as long as you're paying $90 a month for the next 2 years.

As for the Note 2 not selling.... who knows for sure. I doubt Verizon has a warehouse of 3 month old Note 2s that they are dying to get rid of.

Verizon always has a few phones used in BOGO promotions at any given time. Those phones aren't necessarily overstocks.

They are simply used to sell... contracts.
post #154 of 193
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
Apple doesn't allow their phones to be used in such promotions.

 

The most telling is that Samsung does.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #155 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

And? If they get $600 from Verizon for a phone do they really care if Verizon charges the customer $199 or gives one away for free? They still get their money so exactly why would or in fact should they care. You act as if modern business should be conducted along the lines of Victorian England and that is shameless or without honor. Get a clue, it is business. 

And by the way you were dead wrong, I just saw that Verizon commercial and it said get a free FLIP COVER when you buy one. So your whole argument was just based on a lie. The Note II is $299 which is $100 MORE than the cheapest iPhone 5 and people are still buying them in huge numbers. 

You make a lot of false presumptions. It's possible that Verizon has bought so many extra phones from vendors at $600 a pop and with a contract that doesn't allow them to return unsold merchandise which is forcing them to sell them Buy One, Get One Free but it's not very likely. Check the sale in the US. Which smartphone vendor sells the most high-end smartphones? Which smartphone vendor pulls customers from other carriers if they don't offer this brand? There is only one. Apple can easily get carriers to pay a premium for their product and carriers can easily recoup from a $400 subsidization to the customer with the iPhone, but you can't get that with any run of the mill Android smartphone. They don't even hold their value like an Apple product.

What more commonly happens is vendors make deals with distributors (carriers are also distributors in this case). If they sell the product, great, if not, they can send them back. The contracts are often complex in that they have to sell x-many before they can send any back otherwise face a penalty or buy x-many before they get a certain discount. This is how channel stuffing works to prop up shipping numbers on the books, but it only works for a short time. At some point you have to move those devices or write them off. What is likely happening with most BOGO is the vendor is giving the vendor a huge discount on the product if they help sell them. They both win in that the carrier can advertise a great bargain and the vendor can move more product that hopefully is getting some profit even if it's minuscule.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #156 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Pot, may I introduce you to Mr. Kettle. Unless you are a very high ranking executive from one of the carriers, everything you said was pure speculation and conjecture.

You really need to learn to comprehend what you read.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #157 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The most telling is that Samsung does.

The manufacturers understand their relationship with the carriers. The manufacturers get paid when the carriers order a phone... and the carriers get paid when a customer signs a 24 month contract.

Samsung doesn't care what happens to the phone after it leaves their warehouse. Why should they? Their work is done.

I've seen many phones from all manufacturers advertised for BOGO on the sign outside of a Verizon store.

As has been stated before... I doubt the phones used in the BOGO promotions are simply the result of a massive overstock.

Verizon (and all carriers in the US) are only concerned with selling you service with a contract. Whatever they have to do to get you in the door and sign up... they will do it.

I don't know exactly how Verizon gets phones from a manufacturer... but I doubt they ordered millions of the Note 2 ahead of time and now they are over-run with them.

I would imagine each Verizon store gets shipments multiple times per week. Since they offer dozens of different products from flip-phones to smartphones, tablets and mobile hotspots... I bet they only carry a limited stock.

BOGO phones are just a way to sweeten the deal to get you to sign a contract. That's it. Carriers have offered "free" phones for years... so all those phones the result of an overstock?

No.... it's just how carriers push subsidized phones to make money on the contract. Because the contract, after all, is how Verizon makes money.
post #158 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The point is it isn't selling. It's a brand new phone, three months old, and they have to give one away for free to get people to take them.

And their giving iPhone 5's away for no upfront cost as well so not sure what your point is.  Whatever deals carriers offer has no bearing on how well a device is selling, its all about the contract.  The phone manufacturer still gets paid for the device and the carrier makes their money over the lifetime of the contract.

 

edit - I see this bit of the discussion was based on a false assumption anyway, but my point still stands.


Edited by reefoid - 1/7/13 at 1:38am
post #159 of 193

 

Is this even a legitimate website? Apologies, but I often can't tell with British sites… 

 

And since O2's official plan at £31 has the phone at £179… I really wouldn't trust whatever that is to give me legitimate information.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #160 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Is this even a legitimate website? Apologies, but I often can't tell with British sites… 

 

And since O2's official plan at £31 has the phone at £179… I really wouldn't trust whatever that is to give me legitimate information.

They're one of the largest independent phone retailers in the UK, so yes the information is legitimate.

 

However, seeing as this part of the discussion was all based on a false declaration by yourself, its all irrelevant now.

 

edit - and even the 02 site is showing the iPhone 5 with no upfront cost, so another false declaration.  Twice on one page, good going!!


Edited by reefoid - 1/7/13 at 8:50am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › CES 2013 expected to showcase 'embarrassingly large' smartphones