or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › US MacBook sales drop 6% over 2012 holidays, NPD says
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

US MacBook sales drop 6% over 2012 holidays, NPD says - Page 2

post #41 of 90

Dooooooooomed.

 

Why? Because it's Apple and I don't recall the last time I heard anyone claim that Microsoft was doomed, or that anyone would be upset by that. 

post #42 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

(Response to:
Quote:
how important is MS Office for computer shoppers?...because iOS doesn't do MS Office. Or is MS Office a non-issue?
I'd say roughly zero percent. The iPad isn't suffering for lack thereof; it has iWork. The Surface isn't succeeding (by anyone's definition!) because it has Office; it's just terrible.

Let's just say you're completely out of touch with reality.

A laptop without Office would be seriously hindered. That doesn't mean that it's useless or that no one would buy it, but pretending that a laptop that didn't run Office has zero disadvantage is just plain absurd.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #43 of 90

If Apple drops prices on the MacBooks, they will dominate the laptop market.

post #44 of 90
Probably one factor is that a number of users are waiting to upgrade to a retina MBP. It represents the greatest leap in laptop tech for Apple since the Intel transition, at least if you use your laptop for anything photography related (including pr0n).
post #45 of 90
Now my question is if they can come up with macbook sales numbers... Why aren they doing the same for the iphone which is infinitely more important!?

How did they come up with this number?
post #46 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I'd say roughly zero percent. The iPad isn't suffering for lack thereof; it has iWork. The Surface isn't succeeding (by anyone's definition!) because it has Office; it's just terrible.

 

And if you're talking all iOS devices, that's even more readily apparent. All Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone (is it still phone when phone, or is it just "Windows") 8 devices never took off, despite having access to Office. 

 

I mean, iWork exports to DOC. Even in environments where Office still has a greater presence than iWork, that exporting is apparently all that is needed.

 

One of my biggest dreams right now is that the DOC format is dead in the first world by January 1, 2020. By extension, all of Microsoft Office. That'll require a push by Apple on two fronts: first into business as a whole and second to make iOS iWork and OS X (XI) iWork have absolute feature parity. They'll need to be identical applications, simply with different UI and UX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

That might happen, but I doubt it.  Unless Apple can make their current iWork Suite of Apps just as capable as Office Apps, it will still be around for another 7 years or more.

 

The current complaint i hear A LOT is that iWork is just not as capable as Office.  Sure Pages reads and writes to .doc format (i might also mention the current standard, post-Office 2010 is .docx) but iWork Apps often have issues in the translations and compatibilities.  I'm going to give iWork a chance to be my home/personal use Apps, but the world of business would never (right now or in the near future) rely 100% on it.  Office is a much better Suite of programs than most Mac Users realize. Sure it's highly complex suite of Apps, but they need to be for business to function.

And from what most of the people I know say, it's more like what antkm1 is saying which is that MS Office still affects their buying decisions when it comes to computers...in fact, affects whether they buy a tablet versus a laptop?  It's not so much the touch vs non-touch... rather, it's getting an OS that can support MS Office.

 

I would say that the younger generation is a bit more savvy when it comes to flexibility using iWork/GoogleDocs/Open Office...but for those still in school or in a corporation, MS Word and Excel is a mainstay.

 

TS: I dream the same dream...but for now, it's more to the tune of Les Miserables.

post #47 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

A cheaper, lighter, longer-battery, arm-based notebook would destroy PC sales. Throw in LTE FTW

You've just described the iPad... and yes, it is destroying PC sales...

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #48 of 90

At some time there will be a tipping point between the capabilities of an Apple Laptop and an Apple Tablet -- for many, if not most, uses.

 

It has to do with:

  • raw CPU and GPU power
  • other hardware capabilities
  • OS Capabilities
  • App availability and portability
  • I/O and UI capabilities
  • Cloud Services availability

 

Apple has a desktop OS and a mobile OS that share a lot of common capability (and two-way porting of capabilities).  We know we can run iOS (apps and most iOS system capabilities) on OS X using the simulator.  I suspect, that somewhere in the labs at Apple, they are running full iOS on desktops and laptops.

 

The Xcode developer tools and APIs have matured to a point where you could compile an App to run on OS X, then recompile the same source to run on iOS -- and it would run on either system -- UI and Horsepower issues aside.   I realize that there are APIs and Frameworks that are not common to both OS X and iOS -- but that is an ever diminishing issue.

 

This is not to say that OS X and iOS will be combined into a single OS -- rather, each separate OS will be able to run the apps of either OS (to a greater or lesser degree of performance and success.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #49 of 90
COMPLETE CRAP..... They have NO ACCESS TO APPLE'S INFO, THEREFORE CANNOT REPORT ON APPLE's PERFORMANCE.

LIARS....
post #50 of 90
@majjo I hope you're right
post #51 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

And from what most of the people I know say, it's more like what antkm1 is saying which is that MS Office still affects their buying decisions when it comes to computers...in fact, affects whether they buy a tablet versus a laptop?  It's not so much the touch vs non-touch... rather, it's getting an OS that can support MS Office.

 

I would say that the younger generation is a bit more savvy when it comes to flexibility using iWork/GoogleDocs/Open Office...but for those still in school or in a corporation, MS Word and Excel is a mainstay.

 

There is a downside to Office when it comes to a "touch" interface, and that is it's so full of bells and whistles that it becomes nearly impossible to implement. Even Microsoft seems to cede that point on the Surface RT. Word, for example, has grown in complexity to the point where it can nearly perform as a word-processing program. That's a good thing for a sub-set of users that are highly skilled at designing with Word.

 

The broader set of users want to open whatever they want, read it, edit it, and create much simpler documents. A pdf document serves most of these functions except the last, and iWorks satisfies the bulk of latter.

 

Apple, on the other hand, seems to be of the mind to keep the iWork apps lean and clean and in balance with the overall iPad experience.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #52 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwinski View Post

COMPLETE CRAP..... They have NO ACCESS TO APPLE'S INFO, THEREFORE CANNOT REPORT ON APPLE's PERFORMANCE.
LIARS....

That is incorrect.

For example, they could survey sales of Apple resellers and compare last year to this year. Granted, they'd have to extrapolate and assume that the sales at the retailers are representative of Apple's sales as a whole, but that's not a huge stretch - especially given that Apple's resellers include a wide range of organizations including Best Buy, Amazon, etc.

Or, they could have done some kind of sampling process.

Now, it could be argued that without access to Apple's own Apple Store and online sales numbers that these numbers should be taken with a grain of salt, but to argue that they're complete crap or that NPD is lying is not a reasonable conclusion.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #53 of 90
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
Let's just say you're completely out of touch with reality.
A laptop without Office would be seriously hindered. That doesn't mean that it's useless or that no one would buy it, but pretending that a laptop that didn't run Office has zero disadvantage is just plain absurd.

 

Really? Because I've never had Office on any of my Macs at any point and… I get along just fine. So do millions of others. And hundreds of millions of iOS users.


Originally Posted by peter236 View Post
If Apple drops prices on the MacBooks, they will dominate the laptop market.

 

Why would they do that when they're already dominating the laptop market at their current prices? Make less profit for no reason? Why?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #54 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Let's just say you're completely out of touch with reality.
A laptop without Office would be seriously hindered. That doesn't mean that it's useless or that no one would buy it, but pretending that a laptop that didn't run Office has zero disadvantage is just plain absurd.

TS was writing about tablets, and is correct. You changed to topic to Laptops, where you are correct. Whether MS Office will remain as dominate as it once did remains to be seen as Enterprise and government's adaption to the iPad and iPhone does not seem to be an issue as they also transition to iWorks. 

 

It's this latter transition that should worry the hell out of MS as it really does undercut the old "Office" mindset going forward. 

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #55 of 90

In fact Apple sold zero MacBooks during the period in question. Yes! — zero, not a one.

Why? Because the last MacBook (model 7,1) was discontinued in July 2011.

 

So if you hear that the pundits don't know what they're talking about, you can take that literally.

post #56 of 90

Another Moron making up numbers, these guys act like they know something that everyone else does not, No one will know the numbers until Apple announces them. These guys are assuming a decline due to other things happening in the market which may or may not apply to Apple, however, Apple has continue to grow in a down or declining market. 

post #57 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

Apple MUST introduce touch screens to ALL their laptops. As an avid iPad user, I am constantly swiping up and down the screen on my MacBook Air 13" after using my iPad. It is the most intuitive and speedy way to scroll up and down a web page or document, and pinch to zoom is the most intuitive manner in which to, well, zoom in or out or or scale an item. (Grafio on iOS uses pinch to zoom to scale objects - and once you have tried it, there is no going back to slower less precise methods.)
 
Consumers are going to get used to touch screens thanks to tablets/phones and want laptops that do the same, as are creative pros like myself. Those who claim touch screens are tiring are wrong, what IS tiring is performing gestures in the air, but that is not the same.
 
If the 2013 MacBook Airs don't do touch, their sales will fall as people migrate to increasingly powerful Android or Windows transportables, where apps will appear in parallel with the increased sales rendering Apple's current value proposition (superior apps) redundant.
 
(Sorry if this appears twice, I didn't login before and not sure if prior post was accepted.)

While I disagree with your conclusion that Apple is doomed if they don't do this on your time table, I do think you may be correct as far as general trends are concerned. Eventually, there's going to be a generation of kids that grew up having used touched screens as their primary mode of input. Figuring out what they want over the next 5-10 years will be the challenge. Will it be some kind of tablet or convertible laptop? What will large screen desktops look like? Does the touch input paradigm scale up to 25-inch and larger screens? Multiple monitor workstations? I do think Apple is on to something with their current trend towards larger multi-touch trackpads controlling an onscreen pointer. The future desktop might be something like that: a combination of touch gestures directly manipulating "selected objects" on screen, with a pointer to make selections.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #58 of 90

My local Apple store didn't have a single Mac mini or Mac Pro on display over the holiday season.  It seemed like that space was used for their express table of iPhones/iPads/iPods.  What's even stranger, they don't stock the mini with the Fusion Drive (BTO only from Apple.com).  With the supply chain constraints on the iMacs, it probably wouldn't have hurt to at least have other options to show people...
 

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #59 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

Even a two year old can find an Elmo app on an iPad. A two year old toddler would pop all the keys on a laptop/netbook and put them in his mouth.

Hahaha, 2 yo playing on ipad...  I bet his eyes will be ruined (nearsighted) by age 5.

post #60 of 90
Originally Posted by ipen View Post
Hahaha, 2 yo playing on ipad...  I bet his eyes will be ruined (nearsighted) by age 5.

 

Why?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #61 of 90
Pop out Airs with Retina displays and I suspect they'll see a very nice sales bump. I know I'd love one, and there's no chance I'm moving from my Air 11 back to a 4.5lb 'Pro' laptop to get one.
post #62 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

A cheaper, lighter, longer-battery, arm-based notebook would destroy PC sales. Throw in LTE FTW

Great idea. They should call it an iPad!
post #63 of 90
T
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingChael View Post

stock getting crushed again today on seemingly endless bad news.  so much for tax selling... where is the news on further cuts and drop in production??  should be front and center, no?
The shorts are making use if any bad news to short the stock and yesterday we have this company that supposed to have detected a fall in the usage of the iPads.

Well we can't change the old thinking of these analysts who think that it is important to count the numbers but this method has been effectively destroyed by amazon and google who sell their products without profits.
And for them individual product line is more important than the total profits made whereas for Apple competitors they are given a blank cheque.
There is no quick fix because after SJ Apple is experiencing a sort of renewal throes and until Apple start pulling off better sales quarter after quarter then its critics will be silence and until then this is keep on happening especially whenever any negative rumor surface and you bet they will keep popping up curtesy of the shorts.
post #64 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

TS was writing about tablets, and is correct. You changed to topic to Laptops, where you are correct.

Really? Then why did he state:
Quote:
Really? Because I've never had Office on any of my Macs at any point and… I get along just fine. So do millions of others

Furthermore, TS' post that I was commenting on was in response to:
Quote:
However, it does beg the question (and I'm serious about this question for which I do not have the answer, but believe it often impacts computer purchases)... how important is MS Office for computer shoppers?...because iOS doesn't do MS Office. Or is MS Office a non-issue?

Considering that the thread is about MacBooks and the comment mentioned 'computer purchases', just what makes you think it's about tablets?

Again, TS is grossly out of touch with reality. The fact that he doesn't use MS Office doesn't mean that it's of no value. The fact that some other people don't use it doesn't make it useless. LOTS of people need Office.

It's just like the iPad Mini stuff. TS thinks that everyone should bow down and worship every pronouncement from his mouth. No one else is entitled to an opinion that disagrees with his.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #65 of 90
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
Really? Then why did he state:

 

Because YOU mentioned computers.


Furthermore, TS' post that I was commenting on was in response to:

 

Which specifically mentions both.


Again, TS is grossly out of touch with reality. The fact that he doesn't use MS Office doesn't mean that it's of no value.

 

You'll notice I didn't say it was, just that people obviously don't care about it, making it nonessential. Perhaps you're out of touch with something.

 

It's just like the iPad Mini stuff. TS thinks that everyone should bow down and worship every pronouncement from his mouth. No one else is entitled to an opinion that disagrees with his.
 

Pretend to believe whatever you want to believe. It's almost like this is PO… *rimshot*

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #66 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I do think Apple is on to something with their current trend towards larger multi-touch trackpads controlling an onscreen pointer. The future desktop might be something like that: a combination of touch gestures directly manipulating "selected objects" on screen, with a pointer to make selections.

 

I think it's possible that, eventually, hardware keyboards will become a thing of the past. That we'll use something with a touchscreen that can be a keyboard, trackpad, and other types of controls, including application defined. But that this "control panel" will remain separate from the screen, even though we use it somewhat like we use an iPad today.

post #67 of 90

When citing predictions made by market research companies, analysts, psychics, etc., it would be nice to know what the predictor's historic track record has been on similar predictions that are now verifiable.

post #68 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

Overall retail sales in the US disappointed this holiday season. If this report is accurate, Apple actually outperformed considering that they dropped only 6% vs. 11% for Windows PC manufacturers, and managed a larger increase in average selling price. My guess is that the 13" rMBP is a bit pricey for a Christmas gift for most (the one I bought on 12/26/12 apparently was 4 days too late for NPD).

Had to go to my local Apple Store. They still have roped off with stanchions and man counter at the front with more iDevices and Mac notebooks for quick sales. There were about 20 people in the store and they were all busy with customers. I wonder if post-Xmas sales from money and gift cards are popular. It sure appeared that to me in my quick visit today.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #69 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The decline is due to the iPad. 
Not entirely.
Quote:
The "notebook" paradigm is over 30 years old.
This is a problem but the people that need OS access won't be able to settle for an iPad.
Quote:
You can also argue a little more reluctance in consumer spending, but not much else. 
I can argue that the unknowns related to the economy are in fact a huge factor. People will be losing a significant portion of their income to taxes and if you are already in a crunch as far as $$$$$ go then holding off to see how the economy holds out makes very good sense. Loosing 2% of your income might be bearable by most, a 5% lost of income can be very serious for many.
Quote:
Apple's quarterly report will tell the actual tale, where we'll see actual YoY numbers. 

Yep, theses sorts of reports have been grossly wrong in the past. However I'm of the opinion that the laptop has had its day as a must have. Laptops won't give up markets share very fast but the market will change to reflect the fact that many don't need laptops anymore.
post #70 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Assuming NPD's numbers are correct, I think that explains it almost entirely.
I will just wait for Apples numbers myself. As for Christmas sales I have this feeling that it wasn't a hot year for any market sector.
Quote:
Another, minor at this time, factor is that I think notebook sales are at, or close to, their peak. As tablets become ubiquitous, and more than capable to handle the mobile needs of the vast majority of users, I think a lot of sales are going to switch back to desktops. Notebooks as a primary computer have always been a compromise solution -- relatively heavy to carry around, and cramped by relatively tiny screens -- as well as overkill for what most people need to do away from home or the office. With the advent of useable tablets -- i.e., iPads -- more and more people are likely to opt for more of a no-compromise approach to computing, picking the devices that work the best for what they are used for and where they are used. Even a 21" iMac is better and more productive than a 15" MacBook for stationary use. An iPad or iPhone is much easier to carry around for mobile use, with all the functionality that most users need. Most people don't have to compromise any longer, and they aren't going to want to.
As a current 2008 MBP owner I'm leaning towards a desktop, hopefully late this year. The big problem there is that the entire desktop lineup sucks Right now. Especially when compared against Apples own laptops, the value equation is just terrible.
Quote:
Notebooks have also been sort of a "fashion" trend for the last decade, with people buying them even when they don't need to carry them around. Now it's much cooler to be seen with an iPad than even a MacBook Air. So the "fashion" aspect of choices will also fuel this trend. For those who really do need a "full computer" on the go -- and that's really a relatively small number of people -- MacBook Airs with Retina displays will be the standard hardware in a couple of years as the MBP line will gradually be phased out in its favor.
I don't see that happening for years if ever. Like it or not laptops are a strong 80% of Apples Mac sales. I could see the desktops consolidating before the laptop line shrinks. Beyond that there is the simple reality that some users honestly need the performance of Apples Pro computers.
Quote:

It will be interesting to see what Apple does with its desktop line over the next several years as the expected uptick in desktop sales takes off. I'm skeptical that we'll ever see the xMac, but perhaps another 1 or 2 iMac options, or more variation in the Mini line.
I'm really thinking that this year will be very interesting in that regard. The Mini is ripe for a rethink, the Mac Pro we know is getting overhauled and finally the iMac I don't care about.
post #71 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


It doesn't matter of your finger is touching air or a display, I'd your arms are outstretched in front of you for extended times you'll get gorilla arm.

 

Why would you have your arm outstretched in front of you for an extended period of time?  Or do you have some strange idea that you would spend all of your time inputting through the screen?   Never mind a laptops screen is never far out of hand to start with.  

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #72 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macboy Pro View Post

I think behind all the hype, Apple has disappointed with the retina Macbook Pros.  The 13" model is the worst of the set.   The Macbook Pro Retina with 13" screen, 128GB SSD, and 8GB RAM has a value NO WHERE EVEN CLOSE to $1699 + Tax. 
This is a valid issue and I do believe that Apple is learning the hard way. However, they also know that they are the market leader with a technology that is slowly ramping. Thus they can moderate sales by pricing at they top tier while production ramps. In two years retina will be mainstream at mainstream prices.

So yeah the 13 rMBP is a terrible deal unless you really really want the machine.
Quote:
They even have a 13" retina MBP configuration at $2700 + Tax.   It is downright laughable.     The icing on the cake is that they are using proprietary SSD blades, soldering the RAM to the $1200 logic board and virtually making the thing non-upgradeable and non-user serviceable.    So you spend $1800-$2900 on a 13" laptop that has an shorter than normal lifespan due to technology advances and the fact that you can't upgrade normal basic components.
I will agree that the top end is laughable pricing wise but have to disagree with respect to the short lifespans. These machines could end up demonstrating reliability far in excess of what is normal of a laptop,
Quote:
No need to bring out the haters.    I own 2 iMacs, 2 MBPs, 3 iPads, 3 iPods, 3iPhones in my family.  I love Apple Products which is why I spend more to buy them than I would have to if I bought PC, but if Apple thinks this year they are going to slim down to Macbook Airs and Macbook Pro Retinas, neither are serviceable by a user, I will be done with Apple Laptops and will need to find another.
Protest all you want but the whole market will be going in that direction.
Quote:
   Nice to offer the Retinas to those that have the money to blow on them, but if you want a common user group, you will need to maintain some type of reasonable line of laptops.

IMHO :-)

As wacky as Apples laptop line up may appear, it is 100 times more rational than the desktop lineup.
post #73 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Despite slower sales, the average selling price of MacBooks was up nearly $100 from a year prior to $1,419.
 

This says that even though sales were down, the price was up by $100.

How about sales were down because the price was up by $100?

post #74 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamacguy View Post

No 17 inch (our company would have purchased 3 of them if they were sill available) and no optical drive (necessary for our video productions and file distribution to customers).

Except for editing on location, why would any company doing video production use a laptop or a 17" screen to create/edit content or make DVDs?

post #75 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Why would you have your arm outstretched in front of you for an extended period of time?  Or do you have some strange idea that you would spend all of your time inputting through the screen?   Never mind a laptops screen is never far out of hand to start with.  

I wouldn't, which is why I don't think a gesture and touchscreen based Mac will replace a mouse/trackpad and keyboard as your primary input devices. Minority Report was cool but it's not practical. Same goes for the see through displays in Avatar and many other sci-fi films.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #76 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macboy Pro View Post

The Macbook Pro Retina with 13" screen, 128GB SSD, and 8GB RAM has a value NO WHERE EVEN CLOSE to $1699 + Tax.

You are either basing this on a personal definition of the regard that something is held to deserve based on your subjective feeling and use for the device or you are adding up the sum of the materials to come to your conclusion. In either case it's pointless. We know Apple makes a profit on their HW which nullifies the latter definition and if you go by the first definition you can reasonably only apply that to yourself. If the value is too low the product will not sell at that price. Do you think that will happen? I don't.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #77 of 90
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post
Except for editing on location, why would any company doing video production use a laptop or a 17" screen to create/edit content or make DVDs?

 

I think that's it; I think that's a big thing the 17" afforded. I mean, from aught three to '12, the 17" MacBook Pro was the machine used in that situation, and many others. Not saying people didn't take 15's on location, but I've always heard 17, 17, 17… 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #78 of 90

Same here.....I drop a SSD 240GB and replace my dead DVD with another 1TB HDD on my early 2008 Macbook Pro......it's a like driving an old Toyota with a turbo charge 10 litre engine now.1biggrin.gif

 

Upgrade for me can wait until it dies off....... 

post #79 of 90

Video editing is not the only situation 17" laptop was/is used (on location is a big one). The 17" laptop was the standard of the recording industry. Logic (or other DAW's) is simply to difficult to work on a 15" retina screen (live mobile situations). Many people in the recording industry would have bought a new laptop (even though the market is small). It is sad that people want to belittle those of us who wanted and were willing to pay for the extra's that came on a 17".

post #80 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I think that's it; I think that's a big thing the 17" afforded. I mean, from aught three to '12, the 17" MacBook Pro was the machine used in that situation, and many others. Not saying people didn't take 15's on location, but I've always heard 17, 17, 17… 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabu22 View Post

Video editing is not the only situation 17" laptop was/is used (on location is a big one). The 17" laptop was the standard of the recording industry. Logic (or other DAW's) is simply to difficult to work on a 15" retina screen (live mobile situations). Many people in the recording industry would have bought a new laptop (even though the market is small). It is sad that people want to belittle those of us who wanted and were willing to pay for the extra's that came on a 17".

I know several coders that like the large display on the 17" paired with being portable. Means they can do "real" work from virtually any location. It's clear it was the lowest selling Mac notebook but I would have thought that it would have been popular enough to continue making.

Perhaps the move to the new design forced engineering issues on them they couldn't easily resolve without making it more expensive to a point they didn't feel was worth producing. Or perhaps it's just being delayed until the Mac Pro update this year. A professional event, so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mao View Post

Same here.....I drop a SSD 240GB and replace my dead DVD with another 1TB HDD on my early 2008 Macbook Pro......it's a like driving an old Toyota with a turbo charge 10 litre engine now.1biggrin.gif

Upgrade for me can wait until it dies off....... 

Did you set up your two drives as a Fusion drive? I have had a similar setup with OptiBay in my MBP since 2010 but only until the announcement of Fusion did I do the logical pairing of the drives. I like it much better now over having my SSD as my boot/app drive and my entire 1TB HDD as my ~/user folder.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › US MacBook sales drop 6% over 2012 holidays, NPD says