or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's super-slim iMacs remain in short supply months following their introduction
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's super-slim iMacs remain in short supply months following their introduction - Page 3

post #81 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

 

Yeah...  It appears that the physical objects have an unique fingerprint that is recognizable by the software.... I could see that being a puck on a CAD or drafting system.

 

I would buy that instantly if you could run Final Cut Pro X on it -- there are some things you can do better by getting your "hands dirty" -- rather than through the indirection of a mouse and keyboard.  I also like the ability to work standing or sitting as your mood/need arises.

I used to work with a sound engineer in post who had a touch controller. That was at least 15 years ago! I think touch is much more intuitive than a mouse or a track pad. As you know from editing, before computers there was video and before that it was very physical - the original 'touch'. The problem with touch and the the 'tired arm' syndrome has perhaps more to do with repetitive strain than 'tired arm'. Some people use Steinbeck style controllers... ;)

post #82 of 101
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
WTF? Why would you even suggest your only two options are to live it with or to have not bought it all?

 

Well, you know him, living in a world of absolutes: 


Originally Posted by v5v View Post

The world is not a place of black/white absolutes. There is an infinite spectrum of compromises…

 

Oh. Wait.

post #83 of 101
The new iMac is a powerful beautiful beast. When I ordered mine it said to expect delivery December31 to January 9. It arrived over a week before Christmas much to my delight. This is the 27" model.

You're not loosing anything with no optical drive in the iMac. The super drive is only $79 and can be used with all of your Macs. I have an older PC that came with a portable CD/DVD drive which is huge and unwieldy. It also does not work well, it sticks and lags. The Super Drive does not. People survived the floppy drive being removed, they'll survive and probably like this as well. I do

This machine is amazingly fast and beautiful. I've had very expensive, top of the line PC's, built my own, other Macs, nothing comes close to this, it's sublime. I can only suggest trying one and returning it if you do not like it. They have a no hassle return policy.

The person said that this is a whole new league of Mac is accurate. The new low glare, with the images appearing to be on top of the screen description are true too. It's beautiful. I don't need a retina display with this. I'm more than happy.
post #84 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Well, you know him, living in a world of absolutes: 

 

Oh. Wait.

 

Since I don't seem able to block you the way I have Soli, may I humbly request that you block me from your feed please? I think it'll be better for everyone if we just don't cross paths at all.

post #85 of 101
Originally Posted by v5v View Post
Since I don't seem able to block you the way I have Soli, may I humbly request that you block me from your feed please? I think it'll be better for everyone if we just don't cross paths at all.

 

Request denied. I don't block anyone. That's the digital equivalent of sticking my fingers in my ears and going LALALALALALALALA.

 

"Best if we don't cross paths". That's a good one! 

post #86 of 101
That Lenovo video is insane. The music, the wiggy headwear on the kids, the careful double-kissing when the the guests come over, the wife schlepping the giant panel with no handle . . .

We are blessed that Apple has an ad agency with taste.
post #87 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Request denied. I don't block anyone. That's the digital equivalent of sticking my fingers in my ears and going LALALALALALALALA.

 

That's not the part that's bothering me. It's when you take your thumb out of your mouth and go BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH.

 

I understand that you don't like me and I'm okay with that. I just wish you didn't find it necessary to take shots at me every single time I post. If you don't want to engage in useful discussion, please, block me, ban me or just ignore me and shut the hell up.

post #88 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

That Lenovo video is insane. The music, the wiggy headwear on the kids, the careful double-kissing when the the guests come over, the wife schlepping the giant panel with no handle . . .
We are blessed that Apple has an ad agency with taste.

Are you talking about the 27" tablet? How much power does that display need? What about the CPU? It has to be an Intel Core CPU. How heavy are we talking and how long will the battery last. I just don't get it.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #89 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Are you talking about the 27" tablet? How much power does that display need? What about the CPU? It has to be an Intel Core CPU. How heavy are we talking and how long will the battery last. I just don't get it.

1. 17 pounds.

2. Two hours on the battery.

3. Three days till "what else can we do with it?"

 

Cheers

post #90 of 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

They are amazing machines.

Agreed! 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

I won't be upgrading to the new iMac due to the lack of an optical drive.

Terrible reason not to upgrade to the new iMac. External optical drives are extremely affordable. Apple's Super Drive seems tailor made for the new iMac, if you want/need an optical drive. I bought one when I ordered my new iMac because I still buy music CDs occasionally and import them Apple Lossless. Even still, I have yet to use it because most of my new music I download from HDTracks.com.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

 

Well, I've got my 2007 iMac next to my new 27'' new iMac. The difference is quite amazing. You simply cannot compare these 2 machines. It's another league...

I've got my 2006 iMac next to my 27" new iMac, and you're right. The difference is almost as great as the difference between WALL-E and EVE! Not one regret about upgrading. Not one!

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply
post #91 of 101
WOT:

Apple should buy Frito-Lay or vice versa!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #92 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Are you talking about the 27" tablet? How much power does that display need? What about the CPU? It has to be an Intel Core CPU. How heavy are we talking and how long will the battery last. I just don't get it.

Yes, the 27" table-ette(TM). It may be a snappy new form factor for all I know, but the video that Dick linked to is just insanely annoying. Not Dick's fault, of course.

Imagine if Apple put out a promotional video thing like that. The stock would drop to $50. There would be a siege on Infinite Loop.
post #93 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You want to hang your iMac on the wall? Really? It's work of art for sure, but I can't really see a reason to hang it on the wall. It looks prettier standing on a desk or table. Even the old version - the ports were on the back, including the power chord. 

 

A desktop benefits from being thin because it makes it more beautiful and everything benefits from being more beautiful. I can't really see where they can go from here. (I am actually beginning to think we are moving towards an iMac that can be pivoted down to horizontal position with a touch screen. - Yes, TS, I'm beginning to lean your way - If that is where the iMac is going then thin is definitely better)

 

 

There is a small shopping center near where I live and they have iMacs on the wall next to every escalator.  

 

 

There are people who want to do this.  They have particular needs that don't match the desktop form factor.  How much Apple needs to tailor to these needs is another question.  Ditto for example the optical drive.  They obviously thought they could ditch it and get away with it.

 

For work, I still regularly get requests to burn stuff to CD, DVD.  I also have to make BluRays.  But I also see the future and know that these things are on a path to the end and am fine with the OD's absence.  Apple has to make decisions to jump at certain points.  That means they will irritate a certain percentage of customers. 

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #94 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

For work, I still regularly get requests to burn stuff to CD, DVD.  I also have to make BluRays.  But I also see the future and know that these things are on a path to the end and am fine with the OD's absence.  Apple has to make decisions to jump at certain points.  That means they will irritate a certain percentage of customers. 

If you truly do video for a living and you say you are going to live without an optical drive for delivery... you don't do much video. I have no customers that have requested a wedding video at 6mbs verses the full 36mbs that bluray can deliver. The optical drive will evolve with video. It is the optimal platform for play anywhere. Bluray has already gone from 25 to 50 to 128 gig in disc capacity. 500 gig burners are in testing. As 4K video comes of age you will need he cheap optical platters to deliver on. A typical movie in 4K in H.264 will consume about 500 gig. Do you want to buy a new hard drive every time you buy a movie? How about waiting for that baby to download... And imagine trying to stream the thing. Optical is not going away. The only thing it may do is transform to holographic storage.

post #95 of 101

One thing I enjoy about this thread is that either (a) engineer types are getting better are writing or (b) liberal arts types are getting better at understanding technology.  Either way you slice it, no one can deny that the insight of Steve Jobs of living at the intersection of technology and liberal arts is changing our world. 

post #96 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamacguy View Post

If you truly do video for a living and you say you are going to live without an optical drive for delivery... you don't do much video. I have no customers that have requested a wedding video at 6mbs verses the full 36mbs that bluray can deliver. The optical drive will evolve with video. It is the optimal platform for play anywhere. Bluray has already gone from 25 to 50 to 128 gig in disc capacity. 500 gig burners are in testing. As 4K video comes of age you will need he cheap optical platters to deliver on. A typical movie in 4K in H.264 will consume about 500 gig. Do you want to buy a new hard drive every time you buy a movie? How about waiting for that baby to download... And imagine trying to stream the thing. Optical is not going away. The only thing it may do is transform to holographic storage.

 

 

I know my customer base.  You know yours. Apple surely knows theirs.  

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #97 of 101
I placed my order Dec 31st. My status has always said "shipping in January". Since it wasn't changed to 3-4 weeks, does that mean it will ship before 3 weeks? ha.. wild ride.
post #98 of 101
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

I understand that you don't like me…

 

Hardly. You simply hold a double standard depending on whether something is applied to Apple's or others' failures. We tend not to tolerate that.

post #99 of 101
I ordered my iMac 21.5" on Sunday. It has already shipped. 2 days it shipped in, they're not as constrained as mentioned here. And it was custom, too.

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply
post #100 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

I ordered my iMac 21.5" on Sunday. It has already shipped. 2 days it shipped in, they're not as constrained as mentioned here. And it was custom, too.

The ones that are constrained are the 27" models which are now down to 3-4 weeks. The 21.5" models have a 7-10 days ship time. Still, 2 days is pretty fast for a custom build.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #101 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Great idea! Next .. put what on the thumb drive? lol Anyone that technologically backward has to running XP! 1frown.gif So how do I explain they watch the content of said thumb drive on their 60" TV in HD?
I have decided to take my iPad and an Apple TV and an AE plus an HDMI cable to their house and show them the 21st Century and see what happens 1wink.gif
Many DVD players use it, some tv's. Not to mention the chances they have a computer that it will hook to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There is a reason why one of these are doing very well in the market and the other isn't. Can you spot the difference? 1tongue.gif
The funny part is, they are both old versions, Mac improvements are thinner and less cords, dell inprovements are new design changes(to computer only, monitor designed to look better, new keyboard and mouse(still corded) so looking at a modern picture the difference would be worse, yet revised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Except that the customer asked for a CD so they could play it on their TV. Not very many TVs or DVD players have USB ports.
Still, the solution is almost that simple - an external CD drive for the few people who might need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

… You're kidding.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's super-slim iMacs remain in short supply months following their introduction