or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › 802.11ac Gigabit Wi-Fi experts sought by Apple
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

802.11ac Gigabit Wi-Fi experts sought by Apple

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
With Apple rumored to be interested in releasing new Macs with superfast 802.11ac wireless connectivity this year, a new job listing by the company advertises a position for engineers experienced with Gigabit Wi-Fi.

Job


The mention of 802.11ac comes from a new job posting listed by the company on Sunday, first highlighted by AppleBitch. The role of "System Test Engineer" will be based at Apple's corporate Campus in Cupertino, Calif., and focuses on Wi-Fi connectivity.

In the job listing, Apple notes that the position requires "technical knowledge" of the Wi-Fi standard in all forms, including the next-generation 802.11ac. The ideal candidate will include "experience on consumer-facing hardware/software products."

The new job posting comes only days after a rumor surfaced claiming that Apple plans to add Gigabit Wi-Fi to its 2013 Mac lineup. The so-called "5G Wi-Fi" standard offers up to 1.3Gbps data transfers with a three-antenna design.

Current Macs and other Apple devices feature 802.11n networking, the current industry standard for Wi-Fi. That allows transfers of up to 450Mbps with three antennas ? a feat that 802.11ac can accomplish with just one antenna.

Time Capsule


Apple is rumored to have struck a deal with Broadcom to potentially debut 802.11ac in this year's Macs. The Broadcom chips reportedly remain in development and are not yet available to use.

Apple has a history of being on the cutting edge with Wi-Fi ? it was among the first to bring Wi-Fi to the masses in 1999, while Apple secretly included support for the "Draft-N" specification in some of its devices in 2006 before the 802.11n standard was officially ratified.
post #2 of 35
I wonder how many years it will be before we look back and 'remember' when there was a concept of band width or any form of limit on what we can send or receive?
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #3 of 35
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post
I wonder how many years it will be before we look back and 'remember' when there was a concept of band width or any form of limit on what we can send or receive?

 

If the telecoms have their way?

Millennia. 

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #4 of 35
I am curious how this line in the job description "Technical knowledge of WiFi (802.11a,b,g, ac) and Ethernet network environments", turns into the headline "802.11ac Gigabit Wi-Fi experts sought by Apple"?

Judging by the listing, 802.11ac knowledge is no more important than any of the other requirements they listed.

Gotta get those clicks?

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply
post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If the telecoms have their way?


Millennia. 

I wasn't thinking about that aspect, rather technologically speaking. It maybe in Scandinavia not here for the reasons you give of course. I was thinking as in the way we don't watch conventional TV and think about how much data is coming down that wire or if it will stutter ... one day there will simply be so much available band width it will be like traditional TV to a user in those terms. Perhaps that can only happen when we get better and more spectra made available.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I wasn't thinking about that aspect, rather technologically speaking. It maybe in Scandinavia not here for the reasons you give of course. I was thinking as in the way we don't watch conventional TV and think about how much data is coming down that wire or if it will stutter ... one day there will simply be so much available band width it will be like traditional TV to a user in those terms. Perhaps that can only happen when we get better and more spectra made available.

Even TV bandwidth is constrained. VHF is 30 to 300MHz, and if I remember correctly, each channel has a 6MHz band. The only way we have so many channels now is digital and IP.

I can't see how there will ever be too much bandwidth. If we get to a point where the speed is so fast we aren't utilizing it we'll likely always find ways to use it. We don't even have 4K video at 48fps to our homes yet.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #7 of 35
Of course Apple is interested. Of course they would like it to be as soon as is feasible under their quality standards. Of course they are looking for folks with knowledge.

And when even faster wifi standards are created they will want to use that. same with better video and audio compression, more efficient processors and displays, better batteries.

Tell us something we don't know

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Even TV bandwidth is constrained. VHF is 30 to 300MHz, and if I remember correctly, each channel has a 6MHz band. The only way we have so many channels now is digital and IP.
I can't see how there will ever be too much bandwidth. If we get to a point where the speed is so fast we aren't utilizing it we'll likely always find ways to use it. We don't even have 4K video at 48fps to our homes yet.

 

I think you're missing the poster's original point.  TV bandwidth may be constrained but the end user does not know about it nor have to experience any problems related to it.  For instance, one of the dirty secrets about things like Netflix is that sometimes it has bandwidth problems and just won't work for a few minutes while some cache is being accessed somewhere on some part of the network between you and the source.  

 

It rarely if ever happens that the TV stops halfway through a show while it buffers, but with Netflix, Hulu etc., it does fairly regularly.  The same with the app store or iTunes etc. 

 

One also has to worry about data caps and compression as well.  

 

I believe the poster was wondering how long it will be before these little pauses, glitches, and other worries will disappear, thus making the new stuff seem as reliable and invisible to the end user as the old TV is/was. 

post #9 of 35
I really hope Apple's next Airport Extreme supports an iOS-compatible VPN. It is really a pain that you have to use a computer to do it now... or buy a Cisco ASA.
post #10 of 35
Originally Posted by cnocbui 
OSX is a bit of failure as far as connecting to free WiFi networks goes.

 

This has to be trolling.


Edited by Tallest Skil - 1/7/13 at 1:22pm

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

This has to be trolling.

 

Yep.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #12 of 35
Originally Posted by cnocbui
OSX is a bit of failure as far as connecting to free WiFi networks goes.  Apple really should fix this before they concentrate on faster WiFi.

Care to explain how OS X can only connect to paid WiFi networks?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

This has to be trolling.


No, I wish it were.

 

I recently went on a trip via two Airports that offered free WiFi.  I couldn't connect to either Airports WiFi with my 15" Macbook pro Retina running ML.  My son tried with a 13" Macbook Pro running Leopard, but it failed too.  However, when he booted it into Linux, he got a connection.  My Daughter tried with her ancient Toshiba laptop running Windows 7 and had no problem connecting.  I was able to get a connection on my Samsung Phone, and my son likewise.  The two phones run diffferent OSs, so 4 different OS's could connect without problem, yet two different versions of OSX couldn't.

post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Care to explain how OS X can only connect to paid WiFi networks?


I have no idea.

post #15 of 35
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post
I have no idea.

 

Then don't claim there are any problems!

 

😩やれやれ。。。

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #16 of 35

Forgive me for my ignorance. But if something like this is to be included into new Mac-Book Pros, will the older version be upgradeable? Not upgradable from a stance of taking it back for a newer one. But actually opening up the MBP and changing out whatever needs to be changed out to attain the Gigabit Wifi. Hopefully this post makes since. Just curious because I just purchased my first Mac-Book Pro a couple weeks ago.

post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

I think you're missing the poster's original point.  TV bandwidth may be constrained but the end user does not know about it nor have to experience any problems related to it.  For instance, one of the dirty secrets about things like Netflix is that sometimes it has bandwidth problems and just won't work for a few minutes while some cache is being accessed somewhere on some part of the network between you and the source.  

 

It rarely if ever happens that the TV stops halfway through a show while it buffers, but with Netflix, Hulu etc., it does fairly regularly.  The same with the app store or iTunes etc. 

 

One also has to worry about data caps and compression as well.  

 

I believe the poster was wondering how long it will be before these little pauses, glitches, and other worries will disappear, thus making the new stuff seem as reliable and invisible to the end user as the old TV is/was. 

Not quite, it may not stop, but it frequently starts doing those classic, squares and rectangled areas of the screen (pixelating) of hdtv signals  which is essentially the same thing especially during high action and sports oriented filming.

Pixelation on HDTVs is not always caused by the set's inability to keep up with the images it receives; television producers often use pixelation to obscure images deliberately to cover up nudity on non-adult programming or to hide someone's face to protect his identity on a news segment or interview.

Other causes of pixelation include bad weather; the HDTV set is older or a lower-end model; the HDMI cable is low quality; and faulty or substandard cable boxes.



Read more: What Causes Pixelation in HDTV? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8370250_causes-pixelation-hdtv.html#ixzz2HKOKuJYh
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Then don't claim there are any problems!

 

😩やれやれ。。。


Your lack of logic escapes me.  It smacks of the Emperors new clothes.  'There is no problem unless you can explain why it exists.'  Try again. You explain why 4 different OS's were able to connect without issue, while two versions of OSX couldn't.

post #19 of 35
Originally Posted by kaptivator View Post
But if something like this is to be included into new Mac-Book Pros, will the older version be upgradeable?

 

Not a chance. But welcome!


Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post
You explain why 4 different OS's were able to connect without issue, while two versions of OSX couldn't.

 

You're doing it wrong.

 

That's as accurate an explanation as anyone can give, since you've offered zero information about the situation.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptivator View Post

Forgive me for my ignorance. But if something like this is to be included into new Mac-Book Pros, will the older version be upgradeable? Not upgradable from a stance of taking it back for a newer one. But actually opening up the MBP and changing out whatever needs to be changed out to attain the Gigabit Wifi. Hopefully this post makes since. Just curious because I just purchased my first Mac-Book Pro a couple weeks ago.

Simple answer: no.

Complex answer: The newest MBPs use this card for WiFi (and BT). That could technically be removed and replaced with one that also included 802.11ac but there is no guarantee such cards or the proper drivers will be available for those MBPs.

There is one example of Apple including the chips that support 802.11b/gn but only advertising and selling the units as supporting 802.11b/g. Once the driver was ready they sold it for $1.99. Based on card info that seems unlikely this time around.

Because the card is easily swapped Apple could start selling all their Macs with 802.11a/b/g/n/ac as soon as the new AirPort routers announced with a silent HW upgrade to these machines, but that would affect anyone who already owns one unless one of the other options are available.

In the end it doesn't really matter right unless you really need two or more PCs to have faster connections to each other on a Wireless LAN. Most people still have the internet as their bottleneck.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

If the telecoms have their way?

Millennia. 

Hey your back.  We missed your aspersion type and tender of precocious nature.  LOL.  lol.gif

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post


Your lack of logic escapes me.  It smacks of the Emperors new clothes.  'There is no problem unless you can explain why it exists.'  Try again. You explain why 4 different OS's were able to connect without issue, while two versions of OSX couldn't.


You fail to list of circumstances, no systematic troubleshooting techniques used. No details whatsoever but you want your claims to be taken seriously that OS X can't connect to free WiFi networks. I connect to them all the time. Before you claim that all of OS X is the issue when suggesting they remove people from one department to work on something else perhaps you should verify exactly what the problem is and where it resides. The answer may surprise you.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Not a chance. But welcome!

 

Thanks!

post #24 of 35
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post
Hey your back.  We missed your aspersion type and tender of precocious nature.  LOL.  lol.gif

 

Well, if you can offer a better explanation for why the price of Internet access hasn't changed in the past decade… Oh, and why somehow certain companies only serve certain parts of a city or town while others take the other half…

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui 
OSX is a bit of failure as far as connecting to free WiFi networks goes.
This has to be trolling.
Not entirely. N-Enabled access points not made by Cisco and a few of the other major vendors have plenty of problems with Macs... as well as current iPhones and iPads.
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Not entirely. N-Enabled access points not made by Cisco and a few of the other major vendors have plenty of problems with Macs... as well as current iPhones and iPads.

That doesn't mean it's an OS X issue. And least you elude to connection issues with certainly wireless vendor's access points. cnocbui statement is that it's an OS X issue with "free" WiFi.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


You fail to list of circumstances, no systematic troubleshooting techniques used. No details whatsoever but you want your claims to be taken seriously that OS X can't connect to free WiFi networks. I connect to them all the time. Before you claim that all of OS X is the issue when suggesting they remove people from one department to work on something else perhaps you should verify exactly what the problem is and where it resides. The answer may surprise you.


You turn on the WiFi and are presented with a list of access points, all but the free public one being locked.  Select the Free one and you get the WiFi symbol in the menu bar in grey with an exclamation mark on it and text saying something to the effect that there is no ISP.

 

When you launch Firefox or Safari and try and load a page, you just get an error to the effect you don't have a connection.

 

On all the other OS's, you launch the browser, or load a page and you get a redirect to the free WiFi web page where you accept their terms etc by clicking a button, after which you then have access.

 

I tried the connection doctor process but it just said it couldn't diagnose the problem.

 

"It just works"  Well not for me, unless you are talking about my phone, Linux, Windows and even a Samsung 'feature' phone.

 

I tried manually entering the address for the access page, as displayed on my phone, and managed to get the page to load, but clicking the accept button on the page just got me the message that I didn't have a connection.

post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post


You turn on the WiFi and are presented with a list of access points, all but the free public one being locked.  Select the Free one and you get the WiFi symbol in the menu bar in grey with an exclamation mark on it and text saying something to the effect that there is no ISP.

When you launch Firefox or Safari and try and load a page, you just get an error to the effect you don't have a connection.

On all the other OS's, you launch the browser, or load a page and you get a redirect to the free WiFi web page where you accept their terms etc by clicking a button, after which you then have access.

I tried the connection doctor process but it just said it couldn't diagnose the problem.

"It just works"  Well not for me, unless you are talking about my phone, Linux, Windows and even a Samsung 'feature' phone.

I tried manually entering the address for the access page, as displayed on my phone, and managed to get the page to load, but clicking the accept button on the page just got me the message that I didn't have a connection.

That is certainly a better response than before but you still can't draw a conclusion as to where the issues resides based on that data.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #29 of 35

Just because you, or in this case the original poster, can't define the problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist.   I have had in fact very similar issues with my old 2008 MBP on certain WiFi access points that wasn't corrected until after Apples latest OS update.   Well that and some hand editing of files to clear out stuff that had gotten corrupted.     The fact that you personally may not have experienced these issues doesn't make the issues an figment of somebody else's imagination.   The fact of the matter is that WiFi in OS/X has been iffy for a couple of OS revisions now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Then don't claim there are any problems!

 

😩やれやれ。。。

post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Just because you, or in this case the original poster, can't define the problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist.   I have had in fact very similar issues with my old 2008 MBP on certain WiFi access points that wasn't corrected until after Apples latest OS update.   Well that and some hand editing of files to clear out stuff that had gotten corrupted.     The fact that you personally may not have experienced these issues doesn't make the issues an figment of somebody else's imagination.   The fact of the matter is that WiFi in OS/X has been iffy for a couple of OS revisions now.

It's fine that the OP wasn't able to determine the source of the issue but it's not fine that they made claims as fact that they couldn't back up.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #31 of 35

Sure he can.   If other devices connect fine, even other OS'es running on the same hardware it is pretty hard to blame anything other than OS/X.   At one library i make use of the front desk even became well versed at explaining how to reset the Macs WiFi subsystem to get around the problem.

 

You seem to be hell bent on defending Mac OS/X's WiFi support without knowing or wanting to know the background information that is out there to take an informed position.   Further you can't really expect non technical people to give a detailed explanation of the problem when they might not even know what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


That is certainly a better response than before but you still can't draw a conclusion as to where the issues resides based on that data.
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Sure he can.   If other devices connect fine, even other OS'es running on the same hardware it is pretty hard to blame anything other than OS/X.   At one library i make use of the front desk even became well versed at explaining how to reset the Macs WiFi subsystem to get around the problem.

You seem to be hell bent on defending Mac OS/X's WiFi support without knowing or wanting to know the background information that is out there to take an informed position.   Further you can't really expect non technical people to give a detailed explanation of the problem when they might not even know what it is.

No, that is a non sequitur fallacy. This is basic troubleshooting and it has no barring on whether it was OS X, iOS, Android, Windows or any other OS or other troubleshooting issue. All you can say is that you are unable to connect x to y, but you can't claim that it's x's fault because you were successful connecting z to y.

I never once said that it couldn't be an issue with OS X, but based on the data available there is no way to draw that conclusion. All he can say is that he was able to get OS X to connect to a router and hypothesize that the issue resides in OS X. Until you eliminate all other possibilities for a lack of connection you can't claim as a reasonable statement that the issue is with a particular OS.
Edited by SolipsismX - 1/7/13 at 7:11pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post


You turn on the WiFi and are presented with a list of access points, all but the free public one being locked.  Select the Free one and you get the WiFi symbol in the menu bar in grey with an exclamation mark on it and text saying something to the effect that there is no ISP.

 

When you launch Firefox or Safari and try and load a page, you just get an error to the effect you don't have a connection.

 

On all the other OS's, you launch the browser, or load a page and you get a redirect to the free WiFi web page where you accept their terms etc by clicking a button, after which you then have access.

 

I tried the connection doctor process but it just said it couldn't diagnose the problem.

 

"It just works"  Well not for me, unless you are talking about my phone, Linux, Windows and even a Samsung 'feature' phone.

 

I tried manually entering the address for the access page, as displayed on my phone, and managed to get the page to load, but clicking the accept button on the page just got me the message that I didn't have a connection.

Did you have pop-up windows blocked? This is why you couldn't connect to the window that was supposed to pop up. I would have asked someone before assuming it was Apples fault.This will cause the problem you described.

 

My friend came to my home recently, with his Windows PC. Tried to connect to my home WiFi. Nada. Turns out it was a Windows problem. He had to download a patch to be compatible with the 802.11an wireless frequency.

 

Questions. How old were the Macs? How up to date was your OS? If you were missing something, say an update, it's hardly the problem of the OS is it? If your scenario applies to my friend, then its Microsofts problem that his outdated OS couldn't work with my 21st century WiFi. A bad worker always blames his tools.


Edited by Kr00 - 1/8/13 at 1:48am
post #34 of 35

I can't believe this thread is drifting so bad.  

 

This is an astounding rumor.  A new wireless standard is in existence, and Apple will at some point adopt it!

post #35 of 35
Oh boy as said Ac is wanted for a job, of course all this says is that there is over a 80% chance it on device by 10 years from now but hooefully it means it availible by 2014, Hopefully as wanted on all wifi devices by the first of 2016.(apple)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › 802.11ac Gigabit Wi-Fi experts sought by Apple