or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Lenovo's IdeaCentre Horizon 'table PC' is a 27" portable computer

Lenovo's IdeaCentre Horizon 'table PC' is a 27" portable computer

post #1 of 48
Lenovo on Monday unveiled an interesting, if not completely useful, "slate" PC in the IdeaCentre Horizon, a 27" multitouch all-in-one that can convert into a tablet-like device reminiscent of Microsoft's original Surface concept.

IdeaCentre Horizon
Lenovo's IdeaCentre Horizon Table PC. | Source: Lenovo

While obviously not designed to be used as a tablet, the Horizon boasts a large built-in battery the company says is good for two hours of on-the-go use, though portability is questionable as the unit weighs in at 17 pounds.

Lenovo is calling the computer a "table PC" in that it can be used as a traditional all-in-one, but transforms into a huge tabletop screen once its rear kickstand is folded down. When the unit is laid on a table, a specialized user interface dubbed "Moon Dial" pops up, allowing users to interact with the computer from any angle.

The Horizon features a ten-point multitouch screen with gesture controls suited for multi-person use either at work or at home. Also available are a number of accessories aimed at family gaming, including joysticks, dice and an air hockey mallet, all of which are designed to interact with the screen. Lenovo calls this functionality "phygital," a combination of "physical" and "digital."

In addition to the unique Moon Dial mode, users can switch to the base Windows 8 UI, though the resulting full-screen application windows appear to be somewhat clunky.

On its website, the company is branding the IdeaCentre Horizon as a "Tabletop Gaming PC" and lists the expected release date as Summer 2013.
post #2 of 48
i just don't understand the thinking on this product. Is Ballmer running Lenovo? Tablets are meant to be portable.
post #3 of 48
The notion of carrying this around seems wack but I have played with the Surface table and thought it rather keen. I wouldn't mind a table sized iPad especially if it was my home remote. Even just a table with a cutout for my iPad would work. Have a place for the dock connector cable to go underneath, some kind of safety glass piece to prevent spills. Could be awesome

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #4 of 48
How about 40" iTV but weighing less than 10 pounds that could also work as a table multi-touch computer?
post #5 of 48
stupid
post #6 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

The notion of carrying this around seems wack but I have played with the Surface table and thought it rather keen. I wouldn't mind a table sized iPad especially if it was my home remote. Even just a table with a cutout for my iPad would work. Have a place for the dock connector cable to go underneath, some kind of safety glass piece to prevent spills. Could be awesome

With a 27" multitouch display and what I assume is an Intel Core processor and a GPU capable of running that display how long will it last on the battery? At 17 pounds I'm guessing not very long since even the new 27" iMac is over 20 pounds.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #7 of 48

lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif 

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

post #8 of 48

Screencap from a video at mobileindustryreview.com that shows how Lenovo thinks this might be used...

post #9 of 48
One day in the future when the apps are there I see a large desk version of an iPad but it's a while off as of yet. For certain uses such as music and video editing a powerful enough touch interfaced Mac/iPad would be wonderful but the power needed for video editing puts it in another class from battery driven devices I suspect. What I imagine may be more likely a future Mac not an iPad.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #10 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

So pretty much like the information iPad display units at Apple stores?

post #11 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

With a 27" multitouch display and what I assume is an Intel Core processor and a GPU capable of running that display how long will it last on the battery? At 17 pounds I'm guessing not very long since even the new 27" iMac is over 20 pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

One day in the future when the apps are there I see a large desk version of an iPad but it's a while off as of yet. For certain uses such as music and video editing a powerful enough touch interfaced Mac/iPad would be wonderful but the power needed for video editing puts it in another class from battery driven devices I suspect. What I imagine may be more likely a future Mac not an iPad.

This is why Apple isn't rushing to make a 20+ inch iPad. Battery technology isn't there yet. Who wants to try to carry some 20 pound computer around there house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Screencap from a video at mobileindustryreview.com that shows how Lenovo thinks this might be used...

lol.gif HILARIOUS!

post #12 of 48
Don't laugh. This is the prototype for the next Samsung Galaxy Note smartphone.
post #13 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

......the Horizon boasts a large built-in battery the company says is good for two hours of on-the-go use.....

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #14 of 48
Not as bad as Samsung's 85-inch 4K TV. So this is what all the hype was about? lol.giflol.giflol.gif

post #15 of 48

This is actually a pretty cool idea, but I'm not sure it's being completely capitalized upon.  Given a thin enough, light enough, and large enough surface, this product would be ideal for board games.

Look at all the board games at your local walmart or target ... now imagine all those games loaded into a single device you can lay flat on your kitchen table!  Family game night reinvented!  Your next great game comes in the form of an app, not more cardboard and plastic bought at brick and mortar store.

I'd like to see Apple create something like their iPad Mini ... but in an iPad Maxi form where you can have a surface even larger than 10" while staying ultra thin and light.

post #16 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Don't laugh. This is the prototype for the next Samsung Galaxy Note smartphone.

LOL. You beat me to the punchline 1smile.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #17 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Screencap from a video at mobileindustryreview.com that shows how Lenovo thinks this might be used...

Does it come with a hernia belt?
post #18 of 48

like carrying your own tombstone around!

post #19 of 48
This is the sawed off shotgun approach to innovation. There was bound to be some stray buckshot.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #20 of 48
I don't like picking up my 5.5 lb laptop, this wont sell at all
post #21 of 48

This is one of the stupidest ideas I have ever seen!

post #22 of 48

Where's base for this computer display?

;)

post #23 of 48
Flat surface table top games. If the price is reasonable, it could generate interest. Intriguing idea actually. Put on a drafting table, ... Lots of potential is the specs are suitable.
post #24 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

...the Horizon boasts a large built-in battery the company says is good for two hours of on-the-go use...
post #25 of 48

When is Apple going to come out with something cool like this?

post #26 of 48
#fail
post #27 of 48

Surely this is a joke?

If the commercial/promo was about a store display, I'd take it seriously. But lugging it from one room to the next for video chat?

post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
Quote:

...the Horizon boasts a large built-in battery the company says is good for two hours of on-the-go use...

That is good engineering design, if you ask me. After all, what's the point of a battery that lasts soooo much longer than any one can carry the slab?

post #29 of 48

It's absurd, but it's not all that far off from what will be the future of professional (not home) desktop (not portable) computing. This feel like the Newton to me: cool, but not fully useful, and ahead of its time. I'm sure it's where Apple is carefully headed in the long run: pro computers that lie flat instead of tiring you out with arms raised.

For home use, the form factor is hilarious! I can certainly think of possible home uses, but I'm sure most actual personal users can think of far more uses for an iPad or Mini.

post #30 of 48
I like this. Obviously it's not a "tablet", it's a movable tactile computer.

I hope some fun games are developed for it 1biggrin.gif

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Not as bad as Samsung's 85-inch 4K TV. So this is what all the hype was about? lol.giflol.giflol.gif

After all that hype, they were bound to fall flat to be honest. Horrible design, if I could even call it design. It looks more like a blackboard and the asymmetry focuses more on the gaps in between than the screen itself!

A table top tablet might be interesting indeed for family board game nostalgia. If large enough and intelligent enough to allow areas of the screen to be used for different things at the same time. Much the same way as Samsung multitask split screen feature but much more dynamic and useful. I could catch up on the latest news while my partner surfs net and kids are doodling at the same time.

Inspiration begins with google

Inspiration begins with google

post #32 of 48
Being a gamer geek, I could see using something like this for table top role playing games. Especially with the multi-touch capability. Ideally, it should be bigger, though, and while the idea of a battery is cool, I think it adds unnessary weight to the device. Something that big isn't really "portable" in the same sense as a tablet, so the additional weight and inconvenience of an external power supply would be insignificant balanced against the decreased weight resulting from ditching the battery. Especially when the battery only lasts two hours.
/bs
/bs
post #33 of 48
This is why I'm an Apple fan. They're not into gimmicks that the media passes off as "innovation". I read somewhere once the comment that the difference between Apple and, say, Google is Apple asks the question "why?" whereas Google asks the question "why not?" That's how I think of PC OEM's these days. They're just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks. And consumers for the most part have indicated they're not clamoring for all these new form factors. Just like they're not clamoring for "smart TV's". Jony Ive has said that new & different are easy but better is hard. I'm glad Apple takes more of a conservative approach, even if it allows for the charge that they're not innovating. I mean in the TV space I'd rather wait for Apple to do something "insanely great" than just come out with a me-too "smart TV" type product that's already been tried by Gogle and Samsung and no one really wants.
post #34 of 48

I must say those of you calling this product a failure have no imagination. Have you not seen TRON with its desktop computer interface. The original MS Surface was an amazing tech demo. Some seriously cool concepts. No, I don't think it will be very practical as a primary PC. But as a gaming surface it could be great. There's also some serious professional uses such a surface could be used for: reviewing documents with a client, collaborating with a group, doing sales presentations at a desk. Any place where you end up with a person across from you and you want to share a screen would be a great application of this. In a real estate or law office, could this be used for signing documents?

Check out the "AppGrear" and "Apptivity" products at Toys R Us. They're little toys you put on the tablet. They have conductive dots on the bottom that let them be identified by the tablet.

I'm not sure ten-point multitouch will be enough though. For a small tablet, you can only fit a few things on it, but something this large could end up with many more items on it. I'm not sure how you'd identify all the unique items. Can shape of the touch points be used?

No, I don't think this will be the way we're all interacting with our PCs next year. And yes, without the right apps this could fail miserably. But I give the company credit for trying something new. In a few years after others have stumbled around a bit, maybe Apple will step in with a "whole package" product and we'll all be cheering how innovative they are.

But I think the primary market for something like this will be professionals, not a market Apple goes after.

- Jasen.

post #35 of 48
Bound to become a flop product!
post #36 of 48

You would probably rarely move the device, but the battery is there so you can without shutting down.  I think that's handy.

Here's the ad with all the silly carrying around (it should have a handle for that!):

Here's the Verge's first look:

Here's a demo of more modes and proposed table options (you have to see these -- check out the motorized version at 1:40)...

Side note:  we've had an older HP Touchsmart large screen touch computer in the kitchen for years.   Handy for internet news, weather, calendar, email, Skype, some touch games, etc.   It also has a TV tuner, DVR mode, and DVD player.  So I believe in large screen devices as being useful.

Edited by KDarling - 1/8/13 at 7:27am
post #37 of 48
post #38 of 48
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
Tablets are meant to be portable.

Well, right now.

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed the irony (and outright humor) there. While I was watching it, I actually looked around my empty room for confirmation as to the seriousness of the scene…

Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post
…something cool like this?

Cool as in terrible?

When is Apple going to come out with

Hopefully never. Their desktop touchscreen will be something people actually use.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #39 of 48

I like it. In table mode it is essentially what the surface was striving to be. I remember from the Surface demo when they set the phone on the table and then you could access that phone's data. Then photos on the Surface you can "swoop" back to the phone. That looks like the direction they are heading and that's pretty cool from a syncing and gaming aspect.

I don't know how many homes this is going to show up in, though. The part in the commercial where the wife and mom carries it to a new room was pretty hilarious. That just isn't happening very often. And I'm definitely not trusting kids to take this $1,500+ device from the office and put it on the floor. Still pretty interesting.

Edited by alcstarheel - 1/8/13 at 9:36am
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #40 of 48
Those physical accessories and games show that Lenovo has invested a lot of time and effort into this, which includes thinking about users would interact with this device which exceeds what MS did with the original Surface. Still, I can't help but expect this to fail in the consumer market but I wish them well.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Lenovo's IdeaCentre Horizon 'table PC' is a 27" portable computer