or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Sharp hypes IGZO displays, Apple called a 'prime candidate' to use

Sharp hypes IGZO displays, Apple called a 'prime candidate' to use - Page 2

post #41 of 54
Actually ITER is an international effort that just happens to be located in France. As it is it takes far to much in the way of research funs that ends up sucking money from other possible avenues of fusion research.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

The 10sq miles Topaz Solar farm project in California will be able to produce a peak zenith about 500MW and solar power like wind power are not reliable and steady power sources, at best over a year they can only produce at 50% of the time. The other big issue is energy storing, we don't have any efficient way to store unused electrical energy. That is why we still depend so much of gas and coal central for peak period.
The big issue is the waste of land mass. This is what sucks about solar "plants". Think about it coal strip mines don't have the long lasting impact on the environment that solar plants do.
Quote:
Beside I'm thrilled about the French fusion reactor project ITER, sure is a proof of concept, have you see the size of that thing it need for being the first fusion reactor to break even? The next phase DEMO due for mid 2020s will be the first commercial fusion reactor, but we still have a long way to go before mastering fusion reactor like we do for fission. 
Honestly it has been managed like a jobs program for physicists. Between that and the fact that it drys up funs for alternative systems I don't think our money's are being well spent. Or maybe better said well allocated.
post #42 of 54
This technology is unrealistic now, really my blanquette a computer, stupid. Scary.
post #43 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

This technology is unrealistic now, really my blanquette a computer, stupid. Scary.

Well if we are giving the film's concept ideas credence (I would love it all to come true but suspect it is a ways off), such a blanket would be a very useful medical tool. I don't see anything scary or stupid about it all.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #44 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well if we are giving the film's concept ideas credence (I would love it all to come true but suspect it is a ways off), such a blanket would be a very useful medical tool. I don't see anything scary or stupid about it all.

You can parse that? I had absolutely no idea what he was trying to say.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #45 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And I'm in favor of the "launch the spent material into the sun" idea, myself. First, it's launching crap into the sun, which is always cool. Second, it gives us a nice new high-volume cargo technical goal for future spaceflight, which we need. Third, it gets rid of the mess without lead-lined, miles-deep concrete bunkers.

You might want to check the launch requirements first.

It takes more deltaV to dump a package into the sun than it would to send the same package out of the solar system.

post #46 of 54
Interesting, why would that be? Really you have the sun creating this huge gravity well that you would think would be easy to drive a load into.

I'm not up on the physics so this is true curiosity. I would think that as you get closer to the sun you could user alternative methods to drive that load.

Beyond that why bother with a trip to the sun when Venus and Mercury could pass as reasonable dumps. Itis highly unlikely that we will be able to terraform Mercury, Venus isn't possible with current technology but that may change in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveH View Post

You might want to check the launch requirements first.

It takes more deltaV to dump a package into the sun than it would to send the same package out of the solar system.
post #47 of 54
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
Beyond that why bother with a trip to the sun when Venus and Mercury could pass as reasonable dumps. Itis highly unlikely that we will be able to terraform Mercury, Venus isn't possible with current technology but that may change in the future.

If you had to pick, definitely Mercury. Venus we'll terraform long before any waste we dump on it is safe. It's too perfect a second home not to take advantage of. A base on Mercury? Sure; plenty to explore there. But no real worries about extra radiation, as the place is just… hostile.

But I think those might be harder than the sun, too. Depends on where everything is at any given time.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #48 of 54

I've seen speculation on it going in the iPad Mini, and then extending that, maybe into the rest of the iDevice lineup.  What I am wondering is would it go into Apple Displays/iMacs/(theoretical) Apple TV Set.

Edit: I am also including the Macbook line in the above comment.

post #49 of 54
Quote:

If you had to pick, definitely Mercury. Venus we'll terraform long before any waste we dump on it is safe. It's too perfect a second home not to take advantage of.
That would be a most interesting day, that is seeing humans living on Venus. However I think we are a long long way from having the technology to do that.
Quote:
A base on Mercury? Sure; plenty to explore there. But no real worries about extra radiation, as the place is just… hostile.
I don't see a chance in hell of us ever living there either.
Quote:
But I think those might be harder than the sun, too. Depends on where everything is at any given time.

My thinking was or is this, you can use the approach to the sun to your advantage. Use that solar radiation to generate electricity to power some sort of plasma or impulse engine that should in theory have more power as it got closer to the sun. At some point the radiation would fry what ever system you have used but it should be able to get the ship to the point of no return. I'm not at all familiar with the dynamics of the systems here so maybe I'm full of BS.

In any event I think the long term solution is to learn to reprocess the hot waste until it is totally spent. Sadly research here has been so thin that it may take another 100 years or more to get the knowledge base where it needs to be. Imagine if Apple spent just one billion a year of its cash supporting research into new nuclear methods. ITER, while interesting, drains far to much in the way of research funds away from alternative ideas.

Maybe what we need from Apple is a new iPad with a nuclear power source. Something that would make a Timex proud (it keeps on ticking).
post #50 of 54
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
That would be a most interesting day, that is seeing humans living on Venus. However I think we are a long long way from having the technology to do that.

I give it… three centuries. That sounds short to many, but all the right technologies should exist long before that; the extra hundred or so years is to get it cheap enough to make megaengineering projects based around it "considerable" by a committee (though terraforming Venus would pay for itself a googol-fold). 

Of course, it's another century beyond the start of the process before humans can go anywhere near the surface without massive protection. 

I don't see a chance in hell of us ever living there either.

A well-dug-in base near one of the poles, though, for science? Solar and Mercurian? I can see. Maybe no more than 10 people there at any one time ever, but it'd be our first warning of any solar activity throughout the entire system, so spaceflight inward (and outward) could be better planned. 

My thinking was or is this, you can use the approach to the sun to your advantage. Use that solar radiation to generate electricity to power some sort of plasma or impulse engine that should in theory have more power as it got closer to the sun. At some point the radiation would fry what ever system you have used but it should be able to get the ship to the point of no return. I'm not at all familiar with the dynamics of the systems here so maybe I'm full of BS.

Hmm. Hadn't thought of that! I thought solar cells operated like wind farms: too much of the energy source available and they have to shut down due to overload.

post #51 of 54
It most likely depends upon Sharps ability to ramp production. I have to agree though that iPad Mini is where the biggest payoff is. The regular iPad isn't far behind there either. Both of these devices would benefit due to their use patterns where the screen is on for extended periods. Obviously gamers that use their Touch iPods would argue that they need the screens too. However the thing there is that the Touch iPods aren't the places where Apple puts bleeding edge tech.

Apple TVs are certainly a possibility but again this assumes Sharp has ramp production to the point that they can make truly large screens in volume. If Apple got an exclusive for use of the screens in TVs I could see that as a huge win for Apple. Imagine being able to advertise TVs that use 50% less power for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendog52404 View Post

I've seen speculation on it going in the iPad Mini, and then extending that, maybe into the rest of the iDevice lineup.  What I am wondering is would it go into Apple Displays/iMacs/(theoretical) Apple TV Set.

Edit: I am also including the Macbook line in the above comment.
post #52 of 54
Quote:

Hmm. Hadn't thought of that! I thought solar cells operated like wind farms: too much of the energy source available and they have to shut down due to overload.

Well they would burn up at some point. I'm not sure how intense radiation impacts space based solar cells, I would imagine power would increase until at some point a saturation level is reached. Now this would be with today's cell technology. The other possibility would be the use of the heat differential possible as the vehicle gets closer to the sun.

In any case the idea is to use the energy gain as you get closer to the sun to overcome the nature of objects to orbit the sun instead of falling into it. In any event we are a bit off thread here. It is most shameful that we waste so much here in this country on welfare in the present and basically mortgage the future of our children instead of doing the research that could make that future brighter.
post #53 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I know it a good tool but in comfortable would be the blanket is a plastic(or other uncomfortable material) with it bright light all night(this technology if I understand never turns off)
Quote:

I give it… three centuries. That sounds short to many, but all the right technologies should exist long before that; the extra hundred or so years is to get it cheap enough to make megaengineering projects based around it "considerable" by a committee (though terraforming Venus would pay for itself a googol-fold). 

Of course, it's another century beyond the start of the process before humans can go anywhere near the surface without massive protection. 

A well-dug-in base near one of the poles, though, for science? Solar and Mercurian? I can see. Maybe no more than 10 people there at any one time ever, but it'd be our first warning of any solar activity throughout the entire system, so spaceflight inward (and outward) could be better planned. 

i think solar cells get a maximum and then ignore any more than a certain level.
post #54 of 54
A full HD display, at 1920x1080, using this technology, would be 4.45". Oh yes, that's what I want the next iPhone to be!
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Sharp hypes IGZO displays, Apple called a 'prime candidate' to use