or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › 2013 smart TVs dismissed as 'not that smart,' leaving opportunity for Apple
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2013 smart TVs dismissed as 'not that smart,' leaving opportunity for Apple

post #1 of 69
Thread Starter 
Smart HDTVs being showcased at this year's CES aren't actually that smart, according to one analyst, who believes a lack of innovation in TVs has created a huge opportunity for Apple.

Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets is at CES in Las Vegas, Nev., this week, and he's been unimpressed by the HDTVs he's seen. So-called "smart TVs" on display "really aren't that smart," he said in a note to investors on Thursday.

Of note at this year's show is Samsung's Evolution Kit, a hardware upgrade that will boost functionality in last year's HDTV sets. The kit is expected to be available in the second quarter of this year, and Samsung has promised a three-year commitment to customers, so that a 2012 smart TV can use 2015 features.

Samsung
Left, Apple's Siri logo. Right, Samsung S-Recommendation (via Business Insider).


Samsung is also pushing its "S-Recommendation" voice control technology this year. White noted that Samsung's voice recognition feature has a logo "nearly identical to Apple's Siri."

"Needless to say, we were less than impressed with Samsung's smart TV user interface and capabilities at the show," he said.

With existing TV makers unable to wow in 2013, White believes it will take Apple to reinvent the TV experience. His checks within the industry suggest that Sharp will be providing display panels to Apple out of its Gen 10 plant in Japan.

Last month, Apple CEO Tim Cook fanned the flames on rumors that his company is working on a television set or a expanded set-top box functionality. In an interview with NBC's Rock Center, Cook said current televisions make him feel like he's "gone backwards in time by 20 to 30 years," and he admitted that the television market is an area of "intense interest" for Apple.
post #2 of 69

Brian White's been pretty chatty the last few days. 1rolleyes.gif

 

http://appleinsider.com/topics/Brian+White


Edited by Gatorguy - 1/10/13 at 10:26am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #3 of 69
So, let me guess, today Brian White is not a braindead analyst trying to tank APPL. He's nothing short of brilliant, the Prophet, etc?

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #4 of 69
on Sammy's logo. c'mon, that's the only microphone image ever created so of course it's gonna look familiar. /s

Again, I dont' see a actual tv set from Apple. I do see an Apple TV/Siri hybrid of some sort that can access the majority of live channels.
post #5 of 69
Samsung doesn't know what features to add until Apple releases their smart TV. They aren't even capable of creating an original icon.
post #6 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

on Sammy's logo. c'mon, that's the only microphone image ever created so of course it's gonna look familiar. /s

Again, I dont' see a actual tv set from Apple. I do see an Apple TV/Siri hybrid of some sort that can access the majority of live channels.

Johnny would make a beautiful TV though

post #7 of 69

Remember the pre-iPhone era? History is repeating itself.

 

Back then PCs were the central to how people use technology. So manufacturers tried to cram what worked on PCs into smart phones, while others tried to cram PCs into tablets, and both results were terrible.

 

Now that smart phones are the hottest thing, people start to cram what worked on smart phones into the device of the next battle field -- TVs. "Look! You can do all those cool things that your smart phones do right on your TV! Yay! We beat Apple to it!"

 

I may not speak for everyone, but I do not want to use my TV as a computer or a smart phone. I do not care for FB on my TV screen, nor do I care for web browsing at 10 feet away. I want to be able to sit down and enjoy TV -- all my favorite shows, at any time I want. There are quite a few contenders in this space, but so far none has met my requirement. Whoever can make a TV that does this will get my money.

post #8 of 69
iTV
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #9 of 69
Quote:
...according to one analyst...
 
...according to one analyst...
 
...according to one analyst...
 
...according to one analyst...
 
...according to one analyst...
 
 
...according to one analyst...

DOOMED!

DOA!

 

One analyst said so. 1smoking.giflol.gif

"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
Reply
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
Reply
post #10 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE10 View Post

Remember the pre-iPhone era? History is repeating itself.

Back then PCs were the central to how people use technology. So manufacturers tried to cram what worked on PCs into smart phones, while others tried to cram PCs into tablets, and both results were terrible.

Now that smart phones are the hottest thing, people start to cram what worked on smart phones into the device of the next battle field -- TVs. "Look! You can do all those cool things that your smart phones do right on your TV! Yay! We beat Apple to it!"

I may not speak for everyone, but I do not want to use my TV as a computer or a smart phone. I do not care for FB on my TV screen, nor do I care for web browsing at 10 feet away. I want to be able to sit down and enjoy TV -- all my favorite shows, at any time I want. There are quite a few contenders in this space, but so far none has met my requirement. Whoever can make a TV that does this will get my money.

I agree totally. I sometimes wonder if Steve and Tim decided to pretend they were thinking of a TV from Apple (as opposed to AppleTV) just to see everyone in the industry jumping around like cats on a hot tin roof trying to guess ahead of Apple releasing one, what might be coming.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #11 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

on Sammy's logo. c'mon, that's the only microphone image ever created so of course it's gonna look familiar.

Why does it have to be a mic? Here is something for Sammy to steal... A talking person's head, talking Samsung robot...
post #12 of 69

Samsung's microphone is the result of them not copying Apple, which further illustrates that they can't design anything nice without copying everyone else.

post #13 of 69

I keep saying it.  Just give me an A6 Apple TV with Apps so I can have Pandora, Amazon Instant Video, HBO Go, Showtime.  Tie that all in with an integrated search function, and bluetooth so I can hold a button and just ask siri in the remote (with auto-mute feature while I'm doing this) to go to "x" and it'll give me options.  That's all I need.

 

If they include it as a box & guide for U-Verse (or Fios, or any ITV provider)- I would be in Hog-heaven.  Oh the integrated search just becons me.  if this happens, we would also need built-in DVR capabilities (or at least the option for it to record to Time Capsule or Mac HD)

 

Something else that would be good- but I, personally, don't care about would be Games.

 

 

Look, Apple doesnt need to reinvent the TV.  Just give me the above and that would be the best set-top box on the market.  Right now, Roku is seriously adding features by the month that Apple is behind on.  And for cheaper.  And the XBox- although I'd never use it- is pretty freakin' impressive in it's own right.  Put a hurt on 'em Apple!

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #14 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvanvelzer View Post

Here's Apple's chance to regain the technology lead. They're getting mauled in the phone arena and the same will soon happen on the tablet front.

Right....

post #15 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I keep saying it.  Just give me an A6 Apple TV with Apps so I can have Pandora, Amazon Instant Video, HBO Go, Showtime.  Tie that all in with an integrated search function, and bluetooth so I can hold a button and just ask siri in the remote (with auto-mute feature while I'm doing this) to go to "x" and it'll give me options.  That's all I need.

 

If they include it as a box & guide for U-Verse (or Fios, or any ITV provider)- I would be in Hog-heaven.  Oh the integrated search just becons me.  if this happens, we would also need built-in DVR capabilities (or at least the option for it to record to Time Capsule or Mac HD)

 

Something else that would be good- but I, personally, don't care about would be Games.

 

 

Look, Apple doesnt need to reinvent the TV.  Just give me the above and that would be the best set-top box on the market.  Right now, Roku is seriously adding features by the month that Apple is behind on.  And for cheaper.  And the XBox- although I'd never use it- is pretty freakin' impressive in it's own right.  Put a hurt on 'em Apple!

Totally agree, and with the right accessories an Apple TV with apps could send XBox and every other gaming machine into a death spiral.

post #16 of 69
I don't want my TV to be smart. I want it to have a beautiful picture and that's that. Audio has already been pretty much eliminated for TV's so that's already done. Just give me a great monitor and a STB that won't hurt much when it becomes outdated. Pretty much what AppleTV is now except I'd really like to see them (Apple) go full bore into getting the most out of it.
post #17 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

on Sammy's logo. c'mon, that's the only microphone image ever created so of course it's gonna look familiar. /s

Again, I dont' see a actual tv set from Apple. I do see an Apple TV/Siri hybrid of some sort that can access the majority of live channels.

While I always thought a smarter Apple TV would be enough, watchiing my parents try to navigate the pile of remotes they have for all of the boxes hooked up to their TV I can see that an integrated solution makes more sense in usability. 

post #18 of 69

What, exactly, lets these people keep their jobs, much less get published? 

 

What are their credentials?

I mean, I, personally, myself, look at past trends, past sales, current sales, current marketshares, future trends, and speculative future tech, and I make decisions and guesses on the future of technology and products based on this information.

 

I guess that disqualifies me for being called an "analyst" because I actually did some research? I don't know; you tell me.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #19 of 69

I'm going to base my guess off what Tim Cook said, that cable companies currently control the experience... I've been writing my opinion on the matter on my website...  http://www.obviouslogic.com:8080/opinions/apple-tv.php

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #20 of 69
Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets is at CES in Las Vegas, Nev., this week, and he's been unimpressed by the HDTVs he's seen. So-called "smart TVs" on display "really aren't that smart," he said in a note to investors on Thursday.

 

Agree.  Adding internet complexity on top of legacy desktop computer complexity doesn't make TVs "smart."

Jamming features into the box without re-thinking the whole experience is not the way forward.

Just ask WebTV / Google.

 

... and Samsung has promised a three-year commitment to customers, so that a 2012 smart TV can use 2015 features.
 

 

I wonder if Samsung made any such promise to customers who bought one of their 2010 - 2012 3D TVs.

I kind of doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #21 of 69
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What, exactly, lets these people keep their jobs, much less get published? 

 

What are their credentials?

I mean, I, personally, myself, look at past trends, past sales, current sales, current marketshares, future trends, and speculative future tech, and I make decisions and guesses on the future of technology and products based on this information.

 

I guess that disqualifies me for being called an "analyst" because I actually did some research? I don't know; you tell me.

 

I like to think of tech stock analysts as being in "show business for spreadsheet jockeys."  None of them knows what the next big "hit" is going to be, so they all try their best to come up with something that will give them their big break.  All trying to be this year's overnight sensation.

 

All it takes is one correct prediction that nobody else got right, and BOOM.  We have our next rock star analyst.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #22 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

White noted that Samsung's voice recognition feature has a logo "nearly identical to Apple's Siri.".

I guess Topeka Capital Markets hires the blind.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #23 of 69
My take on smartTV. Instead of flipping through hundreds of channels to find what's good and what fits your current mood. The TV should allow for viewer to create a set of customized channels by users id who is controlling the remote. Daddy, ID 1. Mommy ID 2 etc... Then, each channel can comprise of any categories such as channels, actor, genre, rating, and fromdifferent sources such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Apple, Sat, Cable, Vimeo, Youtube etc... Hence, each person in the house would have just a dozen or so channels to flip through to get to the movies or shows they prefer to watch. Once selected each channel can further be sorted or filtered by preference such as newest, most popular, currently watching, etc.. . So, theoretically, a viewer find the exact show or movies he likes to watch in just 3-5 clicks.
post #24 of 69
Apple (or anybody else) needs to build a TV that lets me watch the channels I want to watch instead of just what my provider makes available to me.
post #25 of 69
This is similar to Zite or Flipboard app on the iPad for reading news. The smart part is the engine that goes out to fetch the movies based on your preferences and bring them to your "channel" as you rate your viewing habits.
post #26 of 69

I've got a Samsung TV. It's a nice piece of kit but the smart aspect of it isn't so great. The interface is really slow and clunky - it's like using a pre-iPhone smartphone. It feels like a tick-box list of features rather than anything that the designers have thought long and hard about. All of the pieces are there but not in a thoughtful and integrated manner. Where possible, I use my Apple TV instead. It's only really BBC iPlayer that's stopping me from using the Apple TV for everything.

 

The one thing I do really like about it is the fact that you can plug any old USB harddrive or memory stick into it and have it act as a DVR. That's pretty neat.

post #27 of 69
post #28 of 69

I broke down and got my girls an Xbox for Xmas, so they could have their friends over and play the Kinnect games. Kind of hurt to have to buy Microsoft hardware but I love that they actively use it to jump around with their friends. The interface is only poor to fair, lots of room for improvement in that department. I think the whole social games/exercise area with an improved, built-in Kinnect like sensor is a ripe market for Apple to enter. 

post #29 of 69
One recurringly biased and oriented analyst speaking of himself as "we". Thanks for the intel.
post #30 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post

The icon is patented.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/11/27/apple-patents-siri-microphone-icon

 

So? Considering that the Samsung logo looks almost completely different from the Apple one, what's your point?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #31 of 69
Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post
The icon is patented.

 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/11/27/apple-patents-siri-microphone-icon

 

I don't really see how they could do that. Trademark? Absolutely. Tear Samsung a brand new one (now they have a baker's dozen ones!) for their pathetic knockoff thereof? Absolutely. But patent? It's… not really patentable.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #32 of 69
As long as Samesong makes copies that look so terrible Apple has nothing to worry about , really look at it: a black silloette inside crappy mess of colored hexagon, jeex what was the graphic artist smoking LOL

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

Reply

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

Reply
post #33 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


So? Considering that the Samsung logo looks almost completely different from the Apple one, what's your point

post #34 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I don't really see how they could do that. Trademark? Absolutely. Tear Samsung a brand new one (now they have a baker's dozen ones!) for their pathetic knockoff thereof? Absolutely. But patent? It's… not really patentable.


Patent:

 

The ornamental design for a display screen or portion thereof with icon.

post #35 of 69
Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post
Patent:

 

The ornamental design for a display screen or portion thereof with icon.

 

That just doesn't sound patentable. That sounds like an idea. A very broad idea.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #36 of 69

Siri is not the key, or key, at all. Key in content, hardware design, software integration, an App Store and a good go-to-market strategy (which relies essentially on content).

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #37 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


So? Considering that the Samsung logo looks almost completely different from the Apple one, what's your point?

It's very weird. It obviously doesn't look the same as the Siri logo, but why did they decide on a microphone at all? And why pick the same kind of microphone as Apple? A phone would have some kind of telephone for a logo, a voice recording app might naturally have a microphone for a logo, but why a microphone for Siri or the Samsung app? It's not immediately obvious how a microphone relates to Siri or the Samsung app. Apple chose a microphone, that's their choice. Samsung then chooses a microphone for their app - why? And the same kind of microphone - there are many different styles of mics. It's blatant brainless copying. Wow, they changed the border, and darkened the microphone - very creative. It's funny that they made it very ugly.

post #38 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

As long as Samesong makes copies that look so terrible Apple has nothing to worry about , really look at it: a black silloette inside crappy mess of colored hexagon, jeex what was the graphic artist smoking LOL

They got caught putting a white phone receiver facing right on a green background, and had to explain it was the only way to depict a phone function.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #39 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post




The Samsung logo looks almost entirely different than the Apple logo. So, again, what's your point?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #40 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


The Samsung logo looks almost entirely different than the Apple logo. So, again, what's your point?

 

No, this is almost entirely different.  On the continuum of different, Samsung's is pretty close.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › 2013 smart TVs dismissed as 'not that smart,' leaving opportunity for Apple