or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › 2013 smart TVs dismissed as 'not that smart,' leaving opportunity for Apple

2013 smart TVs dismissed as 'not that smart,' leaving opportunity for Apple - Page 2

post #41 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Johnny would make a beautiful TV though

They already exist.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #42 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

It's very weird. It obviously doesn't look the same as the Siri logo, but why did they decide on a microphone at all? And why pick the same kind of microphone as Apple? A phone would have some kind of telephone for a logo, a voice recording app might naturally have a microphone for a logo, but why a microphone for Siri or the Samsung app? It's not immediately obvious how a microphone relates to Siri or the Samsung app. Apple chose a microphone, that's their choice. Samsung then chooses a microphone for their app - why? And the same kind of microphone - there are many different styles of mics. It's blatant brainless copying. Wow, they changed the border, and darkened the microphone - very creative. It's funny that they made it very ugly.

That microphone icon was in use before Apple used it. Are you also going to say "Samsung’s building TVs now that Apple is"?
post #43 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE10 View Post

Remember the pre-iPhone era? History is repeating itself.

Back then PCs were the central to how people use technology. So manufacturers tried to cram what worked on PCs into smart phones, while others tried to cram PCs into tablets, and both results were terrible.

Now that smart phones are the hottest thing, people start to cram what worked on smart phones into the device of the next battle field -- TVs. "Look! You can do all those cool things that your smart phones do right on your TV! Yay! We beat Apple to it!"

I may not speak for everyone, but I do not want to use my TV as a computer or a smart phone. I do not care for FB on my TV screen, nor do I care for web browsing at 10 feet away. I want to be able to sit down and enjoy TV -- all my favorite shows, at any time I want. There are quite a few contenders in this space, but so far none has met my requirement. Whoever can make a TV that does this will get my money.

Why buy one TV that can do that when it's better to buy multiple boxes and have all your TVs do it?
post #44 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE10 View Post

Remember the pre-iPhone era? History is repeating itself.

Back then PCs were the central to how people use technology. So manufacturers tried to cram what worked on PCs into smart phones, while others tried to cram PCs into tablets, and both results were terrible.

Now that smart phones are the hottest thing, people start to cram what worked on smart phones into the device of the next battle field -- TVs. "Look! You can do all those cool things that your smart phones do right on your TV! Yay! We beat Apple to it!"

I may not speak for everyone, but I do not want to use my TV as a computer or a smart phone. I do not care for FB on my TV screen, nor do I care for web browsing at 10 feet away. I want to be able to sit down and enjoy TV -- all my favorite shows, at any time I want. There are quite a few contenders in this space, but so far none has met my requirement. Whoever can make a TV that does this will get my money.

Could not agree more, and think it is funny now that you put it into text, as to how everyone is trying to make the next thing like the last, while Apple is innovating new ways to interact with content no matter where it might be. 

post #45 of 69
I was in a show case booth last year with Samsung's latest smart TV's. I was so underwhelmed. You know, it was full of all the apps and stuff, but... it quite frankly just didn't work. Voice didn't work. Motion didn't work. Apps didn't work. Typing with an old school TV remote didn't work. Track padding with the newer remote didn't work. It was aweful. I can't believe how such refined hardware (the display was good) was complemented with such aweful software.

Indeed it's leaving an opportunity for Apple... or anyone else with a vision for that matter.
post #46 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Indeed it's leaving an opportunity for Apple... or anyone else with a vision for that matter.

Only Apple can do it.

I'm with Cook, I use my iPad and iPhone 80% of the time. (I remember not too long ago, when people on these boards were questioning how the iPad would fit in between the iPhone and laptops/desktops.)

The future is, relatively inexpensive Apple iOS devises with small screens, small SSD's using iCloud to access all your "stuff!" At home you will have a 50" to 90" Apple TV that is designed for movie watching and TV watching and maybe games. It will have an elegant design, elegant interface and seamlessly interact with said iOS devices as far as music, photos, video, etc. It will be controlled by Siri.

The hold up is a handful of backward thinking, price gouging Cable companies, whose days are numbered, btw.

P.S. And, eventually, Apple will have a dedicated iOS device in your car. Perfect!

Edited by christopher126 - 1/10/13 at 3:41pm
post #47 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Only Apple can do it.

I'm with Cook, I use my iPad and iPhone 80% of the time. (I remember not too long ago, when people on these boards were questioning how the iPad would fit in between the iPhone and laptops/desktops.)

The future is relatively inexpensive iOS devises with small screens, small SSD's using iCloud to access all your "stuff!" At home you will have a 50" to 90" Apple TV that is designed for movie watching and TV watching and maybe games. It will have an elegant design, elegant interface and seamlessly interact with said iOS devices as far as music, photos, video, etc. It will be controlled by Siri.

The hold up is a handful of backward thinking, price gouging Cable companies, whose days are numbered, btw.

In case you didn't hear revenue was up for the TV industry this past year. Apple has no leverage to change things.
post #48 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

No, this is almost entirely different.  On the continuum of different, Samsung's is pretty close.

Look at the pictures in the article. Just how blind do you have to be to think they're the same?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #49 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

In case you didn't hear revenue was up for the TV industry this past year. Apple has no leverage to change things.

Agreed...perhaps it will be up to the 20 to 30 year olds that aren't watching TV in a traditional way.

post #50 of 69
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
Just how blind do you have to be to think they're the same?

Color. That's it.

Please don't tell me you're honestly pretending they aren't as similar as legally (or not) possible. 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #51 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Look at the pictures in the article. Just how blind do you have to be to think they're the same?

While I would agree they are not the same, the mark is likely heavily inspired from it.

If, hypothetically speaking, there was a trademark or copyright lawsuit and no prior art, Apple may have had a good case on plagiarism IMO.

These days a case like this would be very hard to win. The specific mic had been used many times over in varying glyphs. Adding a circle and florishes wont be considered unique enough. A trademarked logo maybe, but it won't be open shut case.

Inspiration begins with google

Inspiration begins with google

post #52 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillie View Post

While I would agree they are not the same, the mark is likely heavily inspired from it.

If, hypothetically speaking, there was a trademark or copyright lawsuit and no prior art, Apple may have had a good case on plagiarism IMO.

These days a case like this would be very hard to win. The specific mic had been used many times over in varying glyphs. Adding a circle and florishes wont be considered unique enough. A trademarked logo maybe, but it won't be open shut case.

Android has had a similar microphone icon on it's keyboard since 2009. A full 2 years before Apple used it for Siri.
post #53 of 69

The problem with Apple is that they don't have technology for display screens. In the foreseeable future, Apple will have to rely on other vendors for the new flexible 4K OLED. screens for the new Apple smart TV.

post #54 of 69
Originally Posted by peter236 View Post
The problem with Apple is that they don't have technology for display screens. In the foreseeable future, Apple will have to rely on other vendors for the new flexible 4K OLED. screens for the new Apple smart TV.

Apple's not gonna use OLED for anything of theirs. They've spent billions to get around OLED.

post #55 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

"Flexible 4K OLED"?  I think you might be kind of jumping the gun. I don't think Apple was planning on making a $15K novelty one off.

They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #56 of 69

Anyway, here's what will happen if Apple brings forth a successful TV integration solution:  some of the same people posting on this thread will rush to remind us that Apple isn't doing anything new or innovative, since folks like Samsung already were offering what they called "smart TVs", despite that such products haven't really caught on because they pretty much suck.  It's enough that there's a preexisting category that an Apple product could be roughly assigned to.   Some will claim that Apple's solution was "inevitable" and "obvious" and that therefore no innovation can be credited; the fact that such people cannot, at this point, explain to us what that obvious solution looks like until Apple offers it up will in no way mute their bellowing.  Because such people are shameless fucking shit heads.

Finally, if Apple is successful, every other manufacturer of "smart TVs" will immediately start releasing products that mimic Apple's as closely as possible without necessarily triggering litigation.  When anyone points that out, the same folk will express horror and disgust that obvious and inevitable things can be patented or copyrighted, that Apple better not try to stifle innovation by suing anyone, and that Apple's customers are dim-wiited fucktards for imagining that Apple is the only company that can figure stuff out.  Because, again, such people are just completely contemptible assholes.

post #57 of 69
Some have called it S recommendation some call it S-Voice but here is what I see it as
Siri intelligent voice assistant then
Siri Voice assistant or recommendation the bold is what is in the name obviously the first is Apples.
post #58 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Some have called it S recommendation some call it S-Voice but here is what I see it as
Siri intelligent voice assistant then
Siri Voice assistant or recommendation the bold is what is in the name obviously the first is Apples.

How about Samsung Voice? You're so biased that it didn't cross your mind.
post #59 of 69
The author of this article and I appear to have wide divergent definitions of "nearly identical". If those are "nearly identical", then I am "nearly identical" to Brad Pitt.
/bs
/bs
post #60 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

I broke down and got my girls an Xbox for Xmas, so they could have their friends over and play the Kinnect games. Kind of hurt to have to buy Microsoft hardware but I love that they actively use it to jump around with their friends. The interface is only poor to fair, lots of room for improvement in that department. I think the whole social games/exercise area with an improved, built-in Kinnect like sensor is a ripe market for Apple to enter. 

I also got my son the Xbox with Kinect. The native UI isn't all that bad but it is on some of the games. I'm also glad that he's more physically active during these winter months. I recommend the game Kinect Rush, it's based on Pixar movies.
post #61 of 69
Where is that "new Samsungtv" that was supposed to come out? Was it just that slightly curved one?
post #62 of 69
Quote:

How about Samsung Voice? You're so biased that it didn't cross your mind.
Well my first thought is Siri, of course then Samsung, but it copy's it so much (including the icon) it seems (and is) that they were to lazy to come up with a name for it.
post #63 of 69
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post
Where is that "new Samsungtv" that was supposed to come out? Was it just that slightly curved one?

The "revolutionary shape"? It was the one in the easel.

post #64 of 69
Quote:

Well my first thought is Siri, of course then Samsung, but it copy's it so much (including the icon) it seems (and is) that they were to lazy to come up with a name for it.

The one with the microphone that's been on Android for years before Apple used it?
post #65 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung
Left, Apple's Siri logo. Right, Samsung S-Recommendation (via Business Insider).

Samsung is also pushing its "S-Recommendation" voice control technology this year. White noted that Samsung's voice recognition feature has a logo "nearly identical to Apple's Siri."

Last month, Apple CEO Tim Cook fanned the flames on rumors that his company is working on a television set or a expanded set-top box functionality. In an interview with NBC's Rock Center, Cook said current televisions make him feel like he's "gone backwards in time by 20 to 30 years," and he admitted that the television market is an area of "intense interest" for Apple.

Quote:

The one with the microphone that's been on Android for years before Apple used it?
No well the one above that has a similar name/icon as Siri. (Shown above)
post #66 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

While I always thought a smarter Apple TV would be enough, watching my parents try to navigate the pile of remotes they have for all of the boxes hooked up to their TV I can see that an integrated solution makes more sense in usability. 

My mom just bought one of those Samsung smart TV's for my dad's birthday, she was also talked into buying the keyboard for it which turned out to be a brilliant purchase as anyone who has ever tried to select a single letter to make up a word while use a remote can contest that it is probably more enjoyable pulling out ones toenails. Anyway, what a piece of crap, the TV's picture is awesome no question about that but the Smart part is so slow and buggy that I think it's going to put my parents into a early grave. Skype did work though which turned out to be the only app that did, the rest of the them never stayed up long enough to be of any use. Thankfully though my brother had bought my dad a Boxee for Christmas, in which of course he immediately put in the garage next to the unopened golf rug golf putter from Sharper Image that I bought him two years ago and a waving Santa that hasn't worked since 1975. First time I have ever gotten to see a Boxee but my brother swears by them, so we hooked it up and I have to say it's not all that bad. Interface is snappy, surfing was actually enjoyable and all of the apps like Hulu and HBO Go worked flawlessly.

So if anyone is planning on getting one I would skip it, not worth the headache. The real shock of the night was me discovering that my mom is a pirate, my brother is to blame of course. He had given her a Samsung Tab 7.7 that he received as a gift/bonus from work, he showed her a website where you can download movies from and boy has she been downloading. I threatened to turn her in if she didn't give me her set of these really cute 50's dishes of a black cat showing it's but hole while turning it's head towards you. After showing her how to stream her pirate booty using Samsung's AllShare, a DLNA program ,to their new TV I got to take home the dishes. 

When did parents become so irresponsible and how do I get my hands on the matching kitty butt hole punch bowl with ladle.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #67 of 69
Quote:

No well the one above that has a similar name/icon as Siri. (Shown above)

Samsung had the logo back in 2010, the black microphone logo actually originated from Google. The Rainbow Pentagon thing has been around even longer then that. I still have the original box from my Galaxy S1 and it has that rainbow on it. Not everything is a conspiracy. Forget about all that, Apple bought the company Siri, it's not even a in house project and if it wasn't for that purchase Siri would be an Android only app right now.

Edited by Relic - 1/25/13 at 8:14pm
post #68 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

My mom just bought one of those Samsung smart TV's for my dad's birthday, she was also talked into buying the keyboard for it which turned out to be a brilliant purchase as anyone who has ever tried to select a single letter to make up a word while use a remote can contest that it is probably more enjoyable pulling out ones toenails. Anyway, what a piece of crap, the TV's picture is awesome no question about that but the Smart part is so slow and buggy that I think it's going to put my parents into a early grave. Skype did work though which turned out to be the only app that did, the rest of the them never stayed up long enough to be of any use. Thankfully though my brother had bought my dad a Boxee for Christmas, in which of course he immediately put in the garage next to the unopened golf rug golf putter from Sharper Image that I bought him two years ago and a waving Santa that hasn't worked since 1975. First time I have ever gotten to see a Boxee but my brother swears by them, so we hooked it up and I have to say it's not all that bad. Interface is snappy, surfing was actually enjoyable and all of the apps like Hulu and HBO Go worked flawlessly.

So if anyone is planning on getting one I would skip it, not worth the headache. The real shock of the night was me discovering that my mom is a pirate, my brother is to blame of course. He had given her a Samsung Tab 7.7 that he received as a gift/bonus from work, he showed her a website where you can download movies from and boy has she been downloading. I threatened to turn her in if she didn't give me her set of these really cute 50's dishes of a black cat showing it's but hole while turning it's head towards you. After showing her how to stream her pirate booty using Samsung's AllShare, a DLNA program ,to their new TV I got to take home the dishes. 

When did parents become so irresponsible and how do I get my hands on the matching kitty butt hole punch bowl with ladle.

Post of the Year !
lmao
post #69 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic 
When did parents become so irresponsible

It likely started with the Post PC thing. There's nothing to stop them now that they have easy access to technology and they haven't gone through the conditioning the rest of us have. It's probably a good idea to stay off Chatroulette until they get accustomed to it otherwise you might see more than the black cat doing that and it won't seem quite so cute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic 
what a piece of crap, the TV's picture is awesome no question about that but the Smart part is so slow and buggy that I think it's going to put my parents into a early grave

I need to get my parents one. This is another aspect of the long running will-Apple-make-a-TV saga. The TV was obviously bought without any testing of those features. This has to be the case if it's bought online. Once you get a large TV in your house, there's no incentive to send it back just because of a sluggish UI.

People will buy based on price, not test it, dislike it but then live with it because most of the time, it's just playing content. An iTV or whatever would be low volume, low margin, still more expensive than the competition and people won't test it to see why it's better. If Apple's going to do this, they are going to need one hell of a marketing strategy and let's face it, time is ticking on. What's the expiry date on this TV rumour, 5 years?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › 2013 smart TVs dismissed as 'not that smart,' leaving opportunity for Apple