or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple's Mac shipments decline in U.S. as PC market slows
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's Mac shipments decline in U.S. as PC market slows

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
Preliminary PC shipment estimates released on Thursday from market research firm IDC show an overall contraction of 4.5 percent year-over-year in the fourth quarter of 2012, and Apple followed suit with a 0.2 percent negative growth rate.

IDC Shipments
Unit shipments are in thousands. | Source: IDC


According to IDC's quarterly estimates, Apple shipped roughly 2.03 million Macs over the three-month period ending in December, just 3,000 units shy of last year's performance. Despite showing negative growth in quarter four, Apple managed to gain market share over other PC vendors like Toshiba, which took huge hits over the same period.

It can be speculated that rollout issues with the newly redesigned iMac are to blame for Apple's slip into the red, with the all-in-ones still in short supply more than a month after being launched at the end of November.

Overall, U.S. PC shipments fell to 17.75 million from 18.6 million a year ago, representing a negative growth rate of 4.5 percent.

"Although the third quarter was focused on the clearing of Windows 7 inventory, preliminary research indicates the clearance did not significantly boost the uptake of Windows 8 systems in Q4," said Jay Chou, senior research analyst with IDC's Worldwide Quarterly PC Tracker. "Lost in the shuffle to promote a touch-centric PC, vendors have not forcefully stressed other features that promote a more secure, reliable and efficient user experience. As Windows 8 matures, and other corresponding variables such as Ultrabook pricing continue to drop, hopefully the PC market can see a reset in both messaging and demand in 2013."

Once again, HP held on to the top spot, bucking the downward trend to gain 12.4 percent for the quarter on shipments nearing 4.8 million units. The company now accounts for 27 percent of the U.S. market. In the No. 2 spot was Dell, which suffered a hefty 16.6 percent year-to-year loss on slightly less than 3.5 million shipped units, dropping its share of the market down to 19.6 percent.

Apple retained its third place ranking well behind Dell with a 11.4 percent market share for quarter four, but was ahead of both Lenovo and Toshiba. Aside from HP, Lenovo was the only major vendor to show year-over-year growth, gaining 11.6 percent in the last quarter of 2012. The company trailed Apple by some 500,000 shipped units, but rocketed past Toshiba which suffered a massive decline, posting 33.9 percent negative growth. For the fourth quarter, Toshiba saw 1.26 million PCs shipped, a drop of almost 650,000 units from last year. The company's U.S. market share fell from 10.2 percent to 7.1 percent.
post #2 of 39

Apple is unequivocally doomed.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #3 of 39
But their market share went up from 10.9% to 11.4%, a 4.6% increase!
post #4 of 39

At -16.6 and -33.9, Dell and Toshiba are getting spanked.

 

I'm not a Windows guru, but I wonder why the sales decline is hitting them so hard?

post #5 of 39

They also are not shipping iMacs! Maybe if they offered computers that they could actually ship, it would help.

post #6 of 39

I sort of think that people are missing something here: PCs arent going unused, they just work longer, teh laptop i bought in 2004 needed to be replaced in 2006, and that one needed replaced in 2008. the one from 2008 worked fine for me till mid last year, and I plan to make my current PC work till at least q1 2015 - On the other hand, the flip phone on my belt in 2005 worked just fine untill 2008 when I got an iphone, which I replaced in 2009, 2010, and early 2012 - I will soon be replacing the 2011 ipad, and will have to replace the new one in late 2014 or early 15.

 

People replace phones and tablets way more than PCs now BC PCs are mature.

You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhands View Post

But their market share went up from 10.9% to 11.4%, a 4.6% increase!
According to this chart there share of the market went up by 0.5%. It's been a long day but I think you're correct in Apple's market growth being 4.6% of the market even though their unit share dropped by about 3,000.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #8 of 39
What was the PC market without Apple year over year?
post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhands View Post

But their market share went up from 10.9% to 11.4%, a 4.6% increase!

Bigger piece of a shrinking market.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #10 of 39

Apple was not shipping iMacs through much of the fourth quarter and when they did ship the new models production was extremely limited. This would have a larger impact on overall shipments than a decline in the PC market.

post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple is unequivocally doomed.

And Apple can't make their iMacs fast enough.  Hmmmm...  Oh OK.  So how does IDC get these numbers when Apple hasn't released their final numbers>?

post #12 of 39

Well, now we know what impact Windows 8 had on the PC market when it came out in the 4th quarter.  It killed it.

 

Microsoft is starting to enter a RIM-like death spiral.  They're huge compared to RIM - and more diversified with their Office app monopoly and back-end products like Exchange and SQL Server - so they can circle the drain for years.  But Windows is a huge chunk of their revenue and profit and the reason why they're so dominant with Office apps and in the backshop.  As that dominance collapses, it'll open ever larger opportunities for Microsoft rivals like Google and Apple when it comes to user-focused applications (like Office), and on the backend for firms like Oracle.

 

Actually, now that I think about it, it's more like an HP death-spiral than a RIM death spiral.  Still huge, but increasingly irrelevant and with ever-shriveling profits based on obsolete bits of once-crucial technology being rapidly displaced in the market by offerings from numerous other competitors. 

 

In other words, they're a giant, poorly-run buggywhip factory.

post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

And Apple can't make their iMacs fast enough.  Hmmmm...  Oh OK.  So how does IDC get these numbers when Apple hasn't released their final numbers>?

Guessing. How accurate we're they in previous quarters?
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

I sort of think that people are missing something here: PCs arent going unused, they just work longer, teh laptop i bought in 2004 needed to be replaced in 2006, and that one needed replaced in 2008. the one from 2008 worked fine for me till mid last year, and I plan to make my current PC work till at least q1 2015 - On the other hand, the flip phone on my belt in 2005 worked just fine untill 2008 when I got an iphone, which I replaced in 2009, 2010, and early 2012 - I will soon be replacing the 2011 ipad, and will have to replace the new one in late 2014 or early 15.

You should have no trouble, then, explaining why Apple performed so relatively well despite having the most reliable, long lasting computers (according to every reliability study) out there.  Go! :)

post #15 of 39
It just goes to show you how important laptops are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcomeau View Post

They also are not shipping iMacs! Maybe if they offered computers that they could actually ship, it would help.
Just imagine. We are talking probably a loss of 300,000 in sales just counting iMacs. Factor in Mini and Pro release issues and it is pretty amazing that Apple did as well as they did.
post #16 of 39

That's very good, isn't it?

 

I seriously hope they terminate production of cMBP, current Mac pro and maybe even the mini, so they can focus everything on Airs and rMBP. Better screens and Haswell for Airs, cheaper rMBP (400$ at least), dGPU for 13" rMBP, updated dGPU for 15", Haswell for rMBP, mavbe a 17" model with something special. New desktop model to substitute the Mac Pro.

 

Then, more focus on the software side of things, please. Better iWork, true quicktime pro replacement. A new OS or 10.8.x updates to address skeoumorphism (?) and to focus on speed and stability, not features.

 

p.s: We are talking about Apple. Making an Office suite that's more user/friendly, good looking and more stable than MSoffice isn't enough. Making a better OS than Windows isn't enough. Apple is huge, they must focus more on OSX. They always had the best OS, but they have to be "much better", as OSX was against XP and vista.  


Edited by pedromartins - 1/10/13 at 6:13pm
post #17 of 39

Yes, there are consequences to mediocre products.

post #18 of 39

People are slowing spending for a variety of reasons... For one, there is the widespread belief that we may be headed for another financial crash, brought on by the irresponsible spending of our government (and the insistence of the public that no cuts are acceptable). Most economists I'm aware of (who are not Keynesians) are very pessimistic about the state of the economy in the near and long-term future in the US.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #19 of 39

Yes. If the factory produces 5 Macintoshes per day; Apple is not making them fast enough.

post #20 of 39

Maybe they should make a mac and someone will buy one.  

 

I've been wanting to buy a new Mac Pro for 3 years but I'm not spending several thousand on several year old tech.  Aren't APPLE the biggest company in the world?

 

You can make iphones and mac pros you know.  It's possible.

post #21 of 39
Very poor title for this article. Should have read "Apple beats market with -0.2% decline compared to -4.5% for market"
post #22 of 39

Which also witnessed a rise in iPad shipments. 

post #23 of 39
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple is unequivocally doomed.


"Ever since Steve died..." /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #25 of 39

No one but Apple can estimate their shipments to four significant digits.

 

The headline is just WRONG. These are estimated shipments. A change from an estimated 2033 to an estimated 2030 is FLAT within the margin of error! 

 

"APPLE MAC SALES FLAT IN US WHILE OTHERS LOSE as PC MARKET SLOWS" is the correct conclusion. The Subhead is "Mac market share grows as PC-makers sales decline"

post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

People are slowing spending for a variety of reasons... For one, there is the widespread belief that we may be headed for another financial crash, brought on by the irresponsible spending of our government (and the insistence of the public that no cuts are acceptable). Most economists I'm aware of (who are not Keynesians) are very pessimistic about the state of the economy in the near and long-term future in the US.

 

Most economists who are Keynesians are pessimistic too, not because government is "spending irresponsibly", but because certain factions in Congress are governing irresponsibly, or not governing, depending on how you look at it.

post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

 

Most economists who are Keynesians are pessimistic too, not because government is "spending irresponsibly", but because certain factions in Congress are governing irresponsibly, or not governing, depending on how you look at it.

 

People are not spending when they don't need it. Very little to do with politics. 

 

There's really no need for another computer when most families have more than 2 per household. 

post #28 of 39
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post
People are not spending when they don't need it.

 

You're sure?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

And Apple can't make their iMacs fast enough.  Hmmmm...  Oh OK.  So how does IDC get these numbers when Apple hasn't released their final numbers>?

 

IDC is the greatest employer of psychics. I thought everyone knew that. 

post #30 of 39
That's quite a bad result. I know the iDevices are naturally the focus these days but it would be nice if they could walk and chew gum at the same time.
post #31 of 39
For a whole month they sold no imacs.. Not as a result of lack of demand but because they did not have and to sell.
So if one looks at actual demand side..and if supply was there..... there would have in be en a gain yoy.
post #32 of 39
I recall reading that Apple's ASP went up $100 yoy, while WinPC was up something like $2. Retina FTW
post #33 of 39

"NEGATIVE GROWTH"... wth.
 

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

 

IDC is the greatest employer of psychics. I thought everyone knew that. 


Or maybe they asked? :p

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

You should have no trouble, then, explaining why Apple performed so relatively well despite having the most reliable, long lasting computers (according to every reliability study) out there.  Go! 1smile.gif

There's some truth to a_greer's comment.

He said that the market is down because computers last longer. I believe that's a true statement. Several factors are involved:
1. Even older hardware is more than fast enough for what most people do with their computers. I used my Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro for 6 years - roughly twice as long as I used previous Macs.
2. Long, drawn-out economic problems with fears for the future. While we've had recessions before, this one is notable for its length. At some point, people start saying "maybe I shouldn't splurge on expensive items".
3. Current versions of operating systems are better. While WIndows 95 became nearly unusable after a year or two due to 'bit rot', that's not as true for Windows 7.

Combine those things and it's not surprising that the total market is down.

However, your statement is true, as well. Even in a down market, Apple is gaining share due to the things you cite - reliability, service, and longevity.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #36 of 39
If you subtract Apple's sales from US total, WINTEL saw a 9.3% drop!!!!! So near double digit drop. Welcome to post-PC.
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

That's very good, isn't it?

I seriously hope they terminate production of cMBP, current Mac pro and maybe even the mini, so they can focus everything on Airs and rMBP. Better screens and Haswell for Airs, cheaper rMBP (400$ at least), dGPU for 13" rMBP, updated dGPU for 15", Haswell for rMBP, mavbe a 17" model with something special. New desktop model to substitute the Mac Pro.

Then, more focus on the software side of things, please. Better iWork, true quicktime pro replacement. A new OS or 10.8.x updates to address skeoumorphism (?) and to focus on speed and stability, not features.

p.s: We are talking about Apple. Making an Office suite that's more user/friendly, good looking and more stable than MSoffice isn't enough. Making a better OS than Windows isn't enough. Apple is huge, they must focus more on OSX. They always had the best OS, but they have to be "much better", as OSX was against XP and vista.  

Apple is a hardware company. It doesn't care if you use MS office on a Mac. It cares that you got the Mac in the first place.

In addition, it is always working on a new OS version, hence the yearly updates.
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Computers have a longer useful lifespan today. For most people, a computer with a Core 2 duo or better is plenty fast enough. In fact, a Power Mac G5 is more than fast enough for 90% of people and is only limited since you can't upgrade later than  OS X 10.5 and older apps especially no newer flash, silverlight or even Apple apps like Safari or iTunes. There is just a lot less reason to upgrade so often anymore for Macs or PC's since older computers can do everything that is required and are not slow at doing it. 

You do recognize that despite your impeccable logic, the fact that reality doesn't fit your description of what is fast enough for most people means that you are wrong... right?

post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Computers have a longer useful lifespan today. For most people, a computer with a Core 2 duo or better is plenty fast enough. In fact, a Power Mac G5 is more than fast enough for 90% of people and is only limited since you can't upgrade later than  OS X 10.5 and older apps especially no newer flash, silverlight or even Apple apps like Safari or iTunes. There is just a lot less reason to upgrade so often anymore for Macs or PC's since older computers can do everything that is required and are not slow at doing it. 


Yup, I'm still running a home built Core 2 Duo with Ubuntu Linux that doubles as my server and likely will for the next five years.  With it's new-ish graphics card it even runs modern games quite well.  And this is a great point - there simply isn't a compelling reason for most people to upgrade right now. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple's Mac shipments decline in U.S. as PC market slows