or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung nixes plans for Windows RT tablets in US, citing 'modest' demand

Samsung nixes plans for Windows RT tablets in US, citing 'modest' demand - Page 4

post #121 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

But if a search query has results those remain visible after returning to the search page. Though they could change the Apps in the Dock with predefined, customizable Settings, like Brightness, Airplane Mode, WiFi

I was going to say the exact same thing earlier, but that's a "swipe-tap" away (to clear the keyboard), and people would whine about that.

So put the switches in the open space between the keyboard and the search field, disappearing when you start to search. It's ugly, it's the wrong way to do it, but they won't whine about it.

Well, they will. Some would still want it on the Springboard proper. They'd want them to be locked onto the first Home Screen, unmovable.

But a Swipe-Up panel would be a solution as well, no?
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #122 of 128

Do you mean swipe up from the Springboard proper or swipe-up from the search screen?

I've always liked the idea of just putting it in the "swipe-over" area of the Multitasking Bar. I mean, media controls don't need to show up there unless you're actually playing media: put settings there. They already have the "other setting" for the physical switch there.

post #123 of 128
Quote:

Swipe up was demonstrated in this video concept that came out before the iPhone 5 was announced at about 1:55 in. Pretty nifty looking but I'm not sure how practical it would be especially with games and such.

Quote:

Do you mean swipe up from the Springboard proper or swipe-up from the search screen?

I've always liked the idea of just putting it in the "swipe-over" area of the Multitasking Bar. I mean, media controls don't need to show up there unless you're actually playing media: put settings there. They already have the "other setting" for the physical switch there.

I agree, that the multitasking bar would be a great place to put settings instead of Media Controls.

post #124 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Not sure who Dewey is, but I know Linnaeus...

Never heard/used the Dewey Decimal System?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #125 of 128
Quote:

Either, just like Notificatrion Center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Swipe up was demonstrated in this video concept that came out before the iPhone 5 was announced at about 1:55 in. Pretty nifty looking but I'm not sure how practical it would be especially with games and such

But the NC is available currently during games. A Swipe-Up addition wouldn't change much - well, except for doubling the risk of leaving your game lol
post #126 of 128
Quote:

Either, just like Notificatrion Center.
But the NC is available currently during games. A Swipe-Up addition wouldn't change much - well, except for doubling the risk of leaving your game lol

They'll probably do that or add Settings to the NC. I imagine they could add a Settings Widget that could be turned on or off to the NC. Or they could add some settings to the Multitasking Bar. Anything thats fast and accessible from any app would be better than what we have now.

post #127 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Connell View Post

I both agree and disagree.  I don't think the traditional Windows UI necessarily dooms a tablet to failure, much to the contrary, I think if you're vastly exceeding the cost of a full-on notebook, the full capabilities of Windows (the full desktop and the ability to run all you're x86 applications) is very important.  I know iPads sell like hotcakes, but I, and a lot of others, simply aren't willing to spend upwards of $800 for a glorified smartphone.  Which is why, despite some of their decisions, I think Microsoft is on the right track with Windows 8 - provide a tablet friendly UI for basic and on-the-go tasks, and the full desktop for when you need to be productive with the "real" applications you need to use.  I know there's some overlap between "apps" and traditional "applications", but there's no denying that when real work needs to be done, there's no replacement for full desktop applications.

Clearly what's dooming Windows RT is that it's essentially nearly all the cost of a full Windows Pro system with none of the benefits - unlike iOS or Android tablets, the available app selection is extremely limited and limiting.  So you don't have access to your traditional applications, you don't have access to much in the way of apps, and the whole Metro UI is essentially barely out of beta status. 

On the other hand, give it a generation or two, and I think Windows RT will be gone and Windows Pro will make a very compelling OS for truly dual-purpose tablets - a touch friendly UI when it's used as a tablet, drop it into a dock and you have a full desktop OS for when you need those capabilities. 

I think this is spot on. MS is trying to squeeze an extra $ or two at this stage, but I am expecting RT tablets to go down with price significantly during 2013, while offering better hardware. Tegra 4 looks promising, and Samsung has already released RT tablet based on Qualcomm's SoC (http://www.anandtech.com/show/6528/samsung-ativ-tab-review-qualcomms-first-windows-rt-tablet) which is bettering Tegra 3 in pretty much every way. They will want to sell it, but they also might be keen to force MS to tune down licensing fees, thus a bit of arm-wrestling over MS's home market.

Most of people here make mistake of thinking that RT/W8/WP8 sell slow because of weak UI. I think that is not correct - Modern is great UI for phones and tablets, if not agreeable with everyone's taste for desktops. Reason they sell slow is the same as why original iPhone wasn't runaway success, and why Android tablets are still behind Android handsets sales - market is inert, and these are first gen products. But dismissing them is making the same mistake as calling iPhone sales "rounding errors". You don't underestimate any of big 3, if you have any grey cells in your head.
post #128 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

I played with a Windows RT tablet at an office store. I found that when changing basic settings, Windows RT drops you into the desktop environment which is not designed to be used with a touch screen. It is obvious that Metro UI is just a thin skin over traditional Windows and that it is not ready to take on all aspects of the operating system. I can't understand while Microsoft released it like this. I really think that this is the end of Windows.

Um, I really have to disagree with you on this one. As a die hard Unix/OSX girl I to was always really against Windows, in fact my last home machine to have it ran Windows NT. I thought it to be clunky, ugly, prone to diseases, etc. However with the release of Windows 8 I have defiantly changed my mind, I actually like it now. iOS and Android though nice entertainment OS's just aren't made for the business environment. I'm kind of tired of owning 3 different tablets and 2 laptops, it would be nice to have one device that does it all and Windows 8 is the closest OS that can provide that. 

I currently own a Asus VivoTab 810c and a Lenovo ThinkPad 2 that work gave me. The Asus was a Christmas gift, I like it a lot but the 11.6" screen, though the brightest I have ever scene is a tad on the large side when in tablet mode. The Lenovo on the other hand is one of the best tablets I have ever used. Windows 8 flies on both of them, the transitions are seamless, apps start immediately, the battery for the Lenovo is 10 hours and the Asus when combined with the keyboard is over 17 hours.

As a programmer I have access to all of my development apps as well as a locally installed version of Oracle. The Metro interface compliments the desktop and I find it to be very elegant. Yes the apps are still far and few but I really just need my news, Internet TV, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and mail apps and by the end of this year it should be fully stocked. Windows 8 also plays every media file I can through at it including Flash and Divx something I really miss on my iPad. Last year I took our families 500 plus DVD collection and converted them all to Divx. I had plenty of time as I'm down due to cancer. I chose Divx over MP4 because I was consistently getting a better image quality at the compression settings I chose.

Look if Apple came out with a OSX tablet today I would be the first one in line to purchase it but they haven't thus far so Windows 8 is the next best thing. It is in my opinion a well rounded business/development/leisure tablet. NFC is also quite neat, I bought three Nokia speakers when I bought my Nokia N9 so when I'm in the kitchen I simply tap my tablet on the speaker and it plays whatever music I was listening to. I think a lot of you are just going off of what you have read in this forum or are just biased because it isn't a Apple product. I am almost certain if some of you would have access to the Lenovo or Asus for a week your minds would change or at least come to appreciate what Microsoft is trying to do.

I am not a Microsoft apologist, like I said before I have never liked their OS's, now that tablets are starting to reign over our IT world though some of us are in need of a professional tablet OS that has more then what iOS or Android can offer.

Oh and Windows RT is a dumb idea, I don't get it either and I to think it will fail but the x86 version in a good tablet is defiantly another story.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Samsung nixes plans for Windows RT tablets in US, citing 'modest' demand
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung nixes plans for Windows RT tablets in US, citing 'modest' demand