or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Car slams into Chicago Apple Store during business hours [u]

Car slams into Chicago Apple Store during business hours [u]

post #1 of 56
The Lincoln Park Apple Store was the site of an apparent automobile accident on Sunday night when a car smashed through the outlet's all-glass facade and into a wall of accessories, leaving one person with minor injuries.

Lincoln Park Accident
Aftermath of Lincoln Park Apple Store accident. | Source: The Verge

Update: A report from the Chicago Tribune notes paramedics were called back to the scene to take one injured person to a nearby hospital in "good condition."

There were no injuries in the Lincoln Park, Chicago, crash, reports The Verge, which ironically involved a Lincoln Town Car that hopped a curb and traveled some distance before breaking through the Apple Store's glass doors.

On-scene pictures from Twitter users reveal moderate damage to the Apple Store's interior, including a display table filled with MacBooks, accessory shelving and a flat-screen window display that was twisted 180 degrees from its original position after being clipped by the car.

Exterior
Source: Chicago Tribune

There has been no official word regarding how the accident occurred, however it appears that the incident was unintentional unlike a recent Apple Store "smash and grab" burglary that took place in California last year. Apple has yet to release a statement regarding the accident, but we will update this article when one is issued.
post #2 of 56
Bet that car was controlled with Ford Sync. Can computers commit hate crimes?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #3 of 56

Well, obviously the solution to the problem is to ban all cars, and then nothing like this can ever happen again.

post #4 of 56
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

"It looks like you haven't asserted your hatred of my competitors today. Would you like some help with that?"

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #5 of 56
Quote:

That might be a possible explanation.

Another possible theory is that the driver picked up his phone to make a phone call, and the phone was one of those gigantic Android Phablets that are bigger than a person's face, thus completely obstructing the driver's view, causing the car to understandably veer out of control and crash into the Apple store.

Another likely theory is that it could have just been a drunk douchebag behind the wheel.

post #6 of 56
I cannot understand why Apple hasn't made the investment in outdoor waist-high pylons that would defeat these accidents (and previous robbery attempts).

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #7 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/155444/cars-slams-into-chicago-apple-store-during-business-hours-u#post_2258276"]
That might be a possible explanation.

Another possible theory is that the driver picked up his phone to make a phone call, and the phone was one of those gigantic Android Phablets that are bigger than a person's face, thus completely obstructing the driver's view, causing the car to understandably veer out of control and crash into the Apple store.

Another likely theory is that it could have just been a drunk douchebag behind the wheel.

Or it was too awkward to hold so it feel out of his with the weight of the device pressing down on the gas pedal. 1biggrin.gif

post #8 of 56
Quote:
[" url="/t/155444/cars-slams-into-chicago-apple-store-during-business-hours-u#post_2258271"]Well, obviously the solution to the problem is to ban all cars, and then nothing like this can ever happen again.

Great. So now we'll have to deal with this all the time:
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/01/05/horse-buggy-accident-reported-in-burbank/
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #9 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I cannot understand why Apple hasn't made the investment in outdoor waist-high pylons that would defeat these accidents (and previous robbery attempts).

Appearance?

Apple is in a great position to invent force fields.

post #10 of 56

Or RubberGlass*. Smack into it, it springs you back the other way. Good for slingshotting. 

*Do not throw a superball at RubberGlass. We think it reverses entropy.

post #11 of 56
Damn Android extremist have gone too far! They are now sending in Android suicide bombers to Apple stores? Luckily the bomb was also programmed using a custom Android ROM and it crashed.

Apparently these Android SB's are offered regular OS updates and 70 new custom keyboards in the afterlife. The joke will be on them though when they are stuck on jelly bean for eternity.
post #12 of 56

This is what happens when you use Apple Maps....

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #13 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jivanile View Post

Damn Android extremist have gone too far! They are now sending in Android suicide bombers to Apple stores? Luckily the bomb was also programmed using a custom Android ROM and it crashed.

You might be on to something there. It has been reported that at least two witnesses overheard the driver shouting out "Death to Apple!" and "There is no Operating System greater than Jellybean!" in the moments before the crash.

post #14 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

On the contrary. If the driver was looking for the Apple store, then I'd say that they found it just fine. He or she couldn't have gotten any closer or more precise using anything else.

post #15 of 56
Off night with the jokes.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #16 of 56
Must of been using Apple Maps
post #17 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

On the contrary. Maps showed the driver exactly where the store was located.
post #18 of 56
Quote:
[" url="/t/155444/cars-slams-into-chicago-apple-store-during-business-hours-u#post_2258295"]
On the contrary. If the driver was looking for the Apple store, then I'd say that they found it just fine. He or she couldn't have gotten any closer or more precise using anything else.

Lol. You beat me to it.
post #19 of 56

I have a great idea! Put your phone down while driving and you will be less likely to end up parked in a store show room. Seriously, nothing you have to say is that important.

post #20 of 56

Waitwaitwaitwait…is that an iMac G4?

post #21 of 56
Originally Posted by Shunnabunich View Post
Waitwaitwaitwait…is that an iMac G4?

Yeah, someone would have brought it in for work. 

post #22 of 56
Well this did some damage.
post #23 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, someone would have brought it in for work. 

Ohh, OK, that makes a lot more sense.

post #24 of 56
Spelling error in the title... Car, not cars. Unless there were multiple cars, in which case it would be slam, not slams.
post #25 of 56

On a more serious note ... there supposedly used to be a gas station at that location. If so, given the fact that the vehicle was driven by an elderly person, the truth is probably closer to some sort of dementia happening, or perhaps a medical episode of some sort ... stroke, perhaps.

post #26 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Off night with the jokes.

post #27 of 56

Sammy just claimed a car slammed in one of its stores. Luckily it was normal business hours so no one was in the store at the time.

post #28 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Ive is still working on making them thin enough.

post #29 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Sammy just claimed a car slammed in one of its stores. Luckily it was normal business hours so no one was in the store at the time.

Hahaha

Exactly how it happened according to an 'iWitness'.

post #30 of 56
Quote:

Not one single hit though.
post #31 of 56
Quote:

Nah... Transparent Aluminum I think.

post #32 of 56
Quote:

Not one single hit though.

At least you're living up to your self-assigned title.

post #33 of 56
Quote:

At least you're living up to your self-assigned title.

I don't suffer fools lightly lol
post #34 of 56
Quote:

I don't suffer fools lightly lol

That seems to imply that trying to entertain others with jokes is foolish. I certainly don't expect every joke I make to be funny or that everyone will enjoy my sense of humor but I do try.

post #35 of 56
Apple needs Gorilla Glass for their store fronts.

Is that an oversized ACD there or a 'prop' displaying items for passing pedestrians?
post #36 of 56

The first Apple Store with a drive-thru window.

post #37 of 56
Finally, somebody's figured out a way to beat those long Genius Bar waits...
post #38 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Since when do douchebags buy Lincoln Town Cars? I thought only limo companies old people bought them. Hmmmm.... I think we have an answer.

post #39 of 56

The driver was holding the steering wheel wrong.

post #40 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Well, obviously the solution to the problem is to ban all cars, and then nothing like this can ever happen again.

Perfectly logical thinking. /s

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Car slams into Chicago Apple Store during business hours [u]