or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to begin preliminary 'iPhone 5S' builds in March for June/July launch - report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to begin preliminary 'iPhone 5S' builds in March for June/July launch - report

post #1 of 75
Thread Starter 
Apple will begin preliminary builds of the successor to the iPhone 5 in March, setting up for an earlier-than-expected debut in June or July, according to a new report.

Jefferies analyst Peter Misek said in a note to investors this week that two future iPhone prototypes are currently testing. At least one of these is said to be a so-called "iPhone 5S," while the other could be Apple's rumored low-cost iPhone.

Misek previously predicted in December that Apple will launch an incremental upgrade to the iPhone 5 this summer. He also believes the company's next-generation iPhone, referred to as an "iPhone 6," will sport a larger 4.8-inch display.

iPhones


As word of the "iPhone 5S" production begins to spread, Misek expects there to be a slight slowing of demand for the iPhone 5.

He expects Apple to sell 44 million iPhones in the current March quarter ? a number he noted is "still well above" recent concerns that shipments might be in the mid-30-million range.

Like some other analysts, Misek believes an apparent decline in iPhone 5 component orders from Apple is not related to significantly reduced demand for the popular handset. Instead, he believes the order cuts are related to three factors:
  • An assembly bottleneck that caused component inventories to rise in the holiday quarter.
  • Planning for preliminary production of the next iPhone in March.
  • Demand may be either in line or "slightly below optimistic expectations," Misek believes.

While Misek expects Apple's next iPhone to launch sooner than expected in the June-July timeframe, he also believes Apple is separately planning a low-cost iPhone that would be geared toward emerging markets like China. Such a device may already have been greenlit, he said.

"Similar to the iPad mini, we expect a concentrated low-cost iPhone rather than a 'cheap' one," he said. "Likely specs: polycarbonate case with 4" non-Retina display and no LTE."

In his view, a less expensive iPhone would increase Apple's smartphone market share, but would also decrease the company's gross margins. He does not expect the rumored product to have much of an effect on the company's earnings per share.
post #2 of 75

Why would they bother, when the iPhone 5 is selling so poorly¡ They may as well give up on the iPhone altogether¡

post #3 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why would they bother, when the iPhone 5 is selling so poorly¡ They may as well give up on the iPhone altogether¡

 

Doesn't the annoying sarcasm ever get old for you and every other member who constantly does it? 

post #4 of 75
@Mac Daddy: doesn't the evidence suggest otherwise? I think your question was answered before you asked it.

I don't find it terribly annoying. Sometimes it can even be pretty clever. Almost entertaining.


Meanwhile, try not to let it bother you. Don't worry, be happy.
post #5 of 75
He says Apple is testing 2 prototypes: A cheap 4" iPhone and an incremental upgrade to the iPhone 5 (becoming iPhone 5s). Then he goes on to mention the iPhone 6 with a 4.8" screen. So they're testing 2 prototypes or 3?

I'm pretty sure the iPhone 5s will retain the exact same size and shape as the iPhone 5. Doesn't Apple usually retain the same size/shape for 2 generations? So then basically he thinks Apple will release the cheap phone and the 5s this summer, then the 6 at the same time or in the fall?

I don't see that happening.
post #6 of 75
Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post
Doesn't the annoying sarcasm ever get old for you and every other member who constantly does it? 

 

We do it so that the people who actually "believe" (either because they do or they're paid to) these things don't post their idiotic ideas. It's like how you'll keep your house clean even if you don't have an infestation of any sort. Preventative posting.

post #7 of 75
Perhaps one of them is a China Mobile compatible?

If Cook's visit was whiff that'd be too bad.
post #8 of 75
OK. So now all the people who used to complain that Apple took too long between upgrades can start arguing that Apple must be doing poorly because they're now forced to upgrade their products more frequently. Another excuse to drive the stock down.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #9 of 75
And Peter knows these things because.....

I don't remember this many rumors or "knowledgable" information happening while Jobs was still alive. Is this because he would have gone after them with a hot poker or because analysts just don't care anymore what kind of garbage they spew.

I highly doubt he got this information from Apple or even trusted Apple parts suppliers. Again, where's the disclaimer listing whether he has AAPL stocks? Where is the SEC when all these stock manipulation rumors just won't quit?
post #10 of 75
With the iPhone being the flagship device it does make sense to launch it before other products. It certainly doesn't make sense to launch the iPods, iPhone and iPads all at the same time. I could see the iPhone moving back to Summer with the iPods and iPads being released for the Holidays. However that would mean there is a opening in the Spring. I think we might see a new product category arrive this year to fill that gap. A new Mac Pro, Apple Display and AirPort routers won't cut it.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #11 of 75

That wouldn't be a bad cycle.  Incremental every summer and big one every fall.  But trying to nail down when Apple does anything is near impossible.  They fooled us with iPods, iPhones, iPads, Macs.... all in the last 2 years its all been all over the map.  When you think iPads are every year, they arent.  When iPhones come every Summer, they push to the fall.  And when iPods get updated every fall, they skip a whole year.

 

Please, analysts... spare us.  A 4.8" iPhone?  I'd be ok with it... but seriously.....

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #12 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

I don't remember this many rumors or "knowledgable" information happening while Jobs was still alive.

I do.  Nothing has changed.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #13 of 75
The smartphone/tablet market is a very hotly contested product category, so the technological pace is accelerating with everybody trying to one up each other. Even though Apple is seemingly doing well, it has to keep up, there-for the need for bi-annual product updates.

Oh and didn't Mr Schiller put to bed any rumour's of a cheaper iPhone already? That particular subject seems to be more a case of wishful thinking on the analysts part rather than an imminent reality - we'll see...
post #14 of 75

more stock manipulation reports: new iphone heading for june debut = wait for the new iphone = lower sales metrics for qtrs ahead of new iphone release = lower stock price = buy for myself = change outlook higher = sell at higher price = retire with proceeds.

post #15 of 75

Here's a question - how do they expect an iPhone with similar build specs to the iPhone 3GS (non retina and plastic backed) to be in the "sweet spot" of $150-$200?  Was the 3GS  $200?

 

Uh, no. 

 

EDIT: This could have been posted on the other article mentioning the 3GS but it fits here, too.

post #16 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Here's a question - how do they expect an iPhone with similar build specs to the iPhone 3GS (non retina and plastic backed) to be in the "sweet spot" of $150-$200?  Was the 3GS  $200?

 

Uh, no. 

Obviously because the prices of those chips/memory/screen/battery have dropped significantly less than they were almost 4 years ago.  But it still most likely isn't going to happen- and I really hope it doesn't.  I like Apple to be a premier product- not an "every man's" product.

 

And 1983- Apple said forever theyd never have an iPad.  :)

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #17 of 75
Actually june - july launch makes more sense than september launch, fall is too late and basically leaves most of the year to the competitors
Apple for long time used iPod as it's holiday new product line, but since the iPod in decline the iPad is most suited as an iPod replacement for the holiday than an iPhone and I think Apple realized that, hence the surprising iPad 4 launch timing.
Getting a new iPad, iPad mini, iPod and iPhone released together is too much even for Apple, moving iPhone to June makes more sense.
Mac upgrades largely depends on new processors from intel which is outside Apple control unlike the ARM version Apple make.
If Apple launched an earlier than expected iPhone is not because iPhone 5 is a flop or they will do 2 iPhones per year but because it is logical.
English is not my native language so feel free to correct me.
Reply
English is not my native language so feel free to correct me.
Reply
post #18 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Obviously because the prices of those chips/memory/screen/battery have dropped significantly less than they were almost 4 years ago.  But it still most likely isn't going to happen- and I really hope it doesn't.  I like Apple to be a premier product- not an "every man's" product.

 

And 1983- Apple said forever theyd never have an iPad.  :)

 

Agree on costs dropping, but if the rumor is true, still wouldn't see an iPhone at those prices.  Like you, I have my doubts on it's existence anyway.

post #19 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

I don't remember this many rumors or "knowledgable" information happening while Jobs was still alive. Is this because he would have gone after them with a hot poker or because analysts just don't care anymore what kind of garbage they spew.

This is the result of doubling down on secrecy..

 

But yes, it did happen while SJ was around, too. I think it is very very hard to keep this sort of thing secret when you are as big with so many suppliers, as Apple. That, and the fact that because of Apple's famous secrecy the secrets have attained a value beyond any other news. There is a whole industry based on Apple rumours and leaks.

post #20 of 75
@tallest skil it may not of hit their predictions but it still took the samsung g3 and wiped it on the floor.. so not the greatest for apple .. still is better then samsung is done.. plus they want to get back on a cycle of once a year releases.. unlike androids 20 per month
post #21 of 75
Originally Posted by jecaron View Post
…plus they want to get back on a cycle of once a year releases.. unlike androids 20 per month

 

Do they? They might move to two. I don't like that myself; they don't need it. But they might.

post #22 of 75

Hopefully Apple will release a big screen iPhone to sell alongside the iPhone 5.  Personally I like the size of the 5 and even the 4S is fine for myself, but Apple are losing sales to 'Droids with big screens.  A 6" Retina iPhone could nip that trend in the bud.

post #23 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

I don't remember this many rumors or "knowledgable" information happening while Jobs was still alive. Is this because he would have gone after them with a hot poker or because analysts just don't care anymore what kind of garbage they spew.
 

 

There were more rumors back then.  First the rumor of a new product, then the rumor that Steve Jobs threw a phone across a room and changed suppliers when he discovered the new product was leaked.  

 

I still remember when ATI accidentally leaked the new video cards for a Mac before the official release.  Jobs got so pissed he switched the line to Nvidia for a cycle.  At least that was the rumor :)

post #24 of 75
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post
…Apple are losing sales to 'Droids with big screens.

 

[citation needed]

 

  A 6" Retina iPhone could nip that trend in the bud.

 

New. From Apple. The 30" iPhone. Because now the whiners will finally shut up.

post #25 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

[citation needed]

 

There's clearly a market for larger display sizes, but since Apple doesn't offer one, Apple loses sales to large screen Android handsets that do. QED.

 

Now I wouldn't advocate Apple addressing every Android product offering with a corresponding one of its own, but it seems disingenuous to imply that there's not a sales consequence to that. I'd be very surprised if Apple were to introduce a larger display size of any kind; the big honkin' phone just isn't Apple's style.

 

A more interesting question is just what an iPhone 5S design would consist of. Faster? OK, but the 5 is pretty much state-of-the-art fast as it is. More RAM? The 5 doesn't seem to need it. SoC process shrink? OK, but that's not really something that users can perceive, except maybe in incremental battery life improvement. Up the ante to 128GB of storage? Fine, but that could be a running change that doesn't call for a new model series.

 

LTE is already here, NFC doesn't look like it's coming, and the iPhone 5 is already almost ridiculously thin. So what's on the tech horizon that could call for an iPhone 5S in a near horizon? IGZO display...?

post #26 of 75
"We are expecting the iphone 5s to sell 10 billion on its opening week. If it sells anything less then that apple is doom" This is how anaylist think
post #27 of 75
I don't see the cheaper iPhone having a 4 inch screen.

I think it'll be smaller and function as an iPhone Mini.

I think next year we will see a 5 inch iPhone but I think Apple will have a 4 inch and 5 inch model (Classic and Plus).
post #28 of 75
Isn't this just the same rumors repackaged as a different 'story'?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #29 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

OK. So now all the people who used to complain that Apple took too long between upgrades can start arguing that Apple must be doing poorly because they're now forced to upgrade their products more frequently. Another excuse to drive the stock down.

People will always complain. There's never a correct way for 100% of the people. IMO the yearly refresh is optimal
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #30 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

There's clearly a market for larger display sizes, but since Apple doesn't offer one, Apple loses sales to large screen Android handsets that do. QED.

Now I wouldn't advocate Apple addressing every Android product offering with a corresponding one of its own, but it seems disingenuous to imply that there's not a sales consequence to that. I'd be very surprised if Apple were to introduce a larger display size of any kind; the big honkin' phone just isn't Apple's style.

A more interesting question is just what an iPhone 5S design would consist of. Faster? OK, but the 5 is pretty much state-of-the-art fast as it is. More RAM? The 5 doesn't seem to need it. SoC process shrink? OK, but that's not really something that users can perceive, except maybe in incremental battery life improvement. Up the ante to 128GB of storage? Fine, but that could be a running change that doesn't call for a new model series.

LTE is already here, NFC doesn't look like it's coming, and the iPhone 5 is already almost ridiculously thin. So what's on the tech horizon that could call for an iPhone 5S in a near horizon? IGZO display...?

IGZO so probably record breaking battery life.

Hopefully HUGE upgrades to the OS as well. But I was thinking they could skip the 5S and just add a smaller and larger model this year.

The iPhone 5 can stay as is because its still an awesome phone for $199.

Wouldn't it be interesting if Apple unleashed a 3 inch phone in the summer and a surprise 5 inch model this fall?

It would take everyone by surprise.
post #31 of 75
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post
It would take everyone by surprise.

 

Not the word I'd use. lol.gif

post #32 of 75
So wait...Apple's going from a 4" phone to a 4.8" phone and they're already in the build stage? Where are all the prototypes/leaked cases of this device? Seems odd that we've seen no hardware related to this alleged larger phone (or the smaller/cheaper one for that matter). I mean if Wall Street analysts know about this device I have a hard time believing someone wouldn't be leaking cases. 1hmm.gif
post #33 of 75

Apple offers a larger screen, the cellular data iPad mini. AND there's no $^&*&^$# expensive voice contract which is great because, let's be real, how many people really want to hold some huge slab up against their heads?

 

Oh and it just went on sale in China: further tweaking China Mobile.

post #34 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

 

There's clearly a market for larger display sizes, but since Apple doesn't offer one, Apple loses sales to large screen Android handsets that do. QED.

 

Now I wouldn't advocate Apple addressing every Android product offering with a corresponding one of its own, but it seems disingenuous to imply that there's not a sales consequence to that. I'd be very surprised if Apple were to introduce a larger display size of any kind; the big honkin' phone just isn't Apple's style.

 

Apple might lose some sales because of larger screen offerings from Android vendors but "how many" is up for question.

 

Does Apple lose them because of the larger size or is it a matter of the price difference?

 

I'm guessing the vast majority is because of the price difference... but this has all been covered previously.

 

This isn't to say that I believe that Apple should not have a larger phone. As I've mentioned before; that would give Apple the ability to keep to a yearly release cycle but they could update each size at a different time (or offer two phone updates at the same time and another at a different time.).

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #35 of 75
For the umpteenth time, two times per year refreshes make little to no sense for iPhones that are stuck on two year contracts. Not enough people to buy both models.

I think Apple does need to go back to splitting up the release times for its products. It keeps interest year round and allows people time to save up for each different item.

Valid arguments can be made for both sides of the low cost and screen size debates. Apple will decide which they like better, however to blindly say one or the other side is wrong is shortsighted stupidity.
post #36 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Apple might lose some sales because of larger screen offerings from Android vendors but "how many" is up for question.

Does Apple lose them because of the larger size or is it a matter of the price difference?

I'm guessing the vast majority is because of the price difference... but this has all been covered previously.

This isn't to say that I believe that Apple should not have a larger phone. As I've mentioned before; that would give Apple the ability to keep to a yearly release cycle but they could update each size at a different time (or offer two phone updates at the same time and another at a different time.).

Big screens are a differentiation strategy for companies that are not Apple. Apple doesn't need to be different from Apple. It just needs to be Apple.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #37 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

New. From Apple. The 30" iPhone. Because now the whiners will finally shut up.

Posted before, but ok

I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #38 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

 

 

LTE is already here, NFC doesn't look like it's coming, and the iPhone 5 is already almost ridiculously thin. So what's on the tech horizon that could call for an iPhone 5S in a near horizon? IGZO display...?

 

I wonder about this one.  Granted, NFC isn't a perfect technology and doesn't solve all problems - but if every W8 and Android phone/tablet has NFC, plus all the major carriers backing ISIS, not to mention Google & others...doesn't Apple pretty much NEED to put NFC in the next phone?

post #39 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


Big screens are a differentiation strategy for companies that are not Apple. Apple doesn't need to be different from Apple. It just needs to be Apple.

 

Big screens are a differentiation strategy? Citation please.

 

People were asking for bigger screens and other companies made them and are now selling them in droves.

 

If what you say is true then the opposite could be said. Smaller screens. Poof! There goes the iPad Mini.

 

[I know the pain it would cause you if Apple started to sell even 15 to 20 million extra phones per quarter but you'll just have to grin and bear it]

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #40 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why would they bother, when the iPhone 5 is selling so poorly¡ They may as well give up on the iPhone altogether¡

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

 

Doesn't the annoying sarcasm ever get old for you and every other member who constantly does it? 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

Hopefully Apple will release a big screen iPhone to sell alongside the iPhone 5.  Personally I like the size of the 5 and even the 4S is fine for myself, but Apple are losing sales to 'Droids with big screens.  A 6" Retina iPhone could nip that trend in the bud.

 

The sarcasm needs to continue to combat bullshit artists like Junkyard Dawg who make statements with absolutely no evidence to back it up.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple to begin preliminary 'iPhone 5S' builds in March for June/July launch - report
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to begin preliminary 'iPhone 5S' builds in March for June/July launch - report