or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's 2013 product pipeline to feature new iPhones and all-Retina iPad and MacBook Pro lineups

Apple's 2013 product pipeline to feature new iPhones and all-Retina iPad and MacBook Pro lineups - Page 2

post #41 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Not only that but such a high pixel density in a Mini might actually lead to a poorer user experience. The GUI could literally draw lines or dots on screen that most people won't be able to see. On the flip side iOS is somewhat resolution independent so you won't get the same results anyways as you get with iPad.

The other problem is that retina does impact performance of the computer it is installed in. Since I'm not expecting a process shrink again for 2013 it is hard to imagine excellent performance in an iPad Mini. The only thing we could hope for is Sharps IGZO screens which might allow for a clock speed bump in the processors. As for Mac Book AIR there you have an Intel GPU running at a low clock rate, that would need to be upgraded to support Retina.

Does a Retina display have an effect on performance? Sure, but it's worth remembering what happened with iPad 3 ("New iPad"). While most reviews felt that it was an improvement over the iPad 2, it didn't really have the necessary internals to smoothly drive the display (At least without putting the GPU under pressure - Potential heating concerns on this model). Even if the A7 (or possibly A7X) isn't a die shrink and instead a new architecture, they've had 2 previous generations of iPad with the same kind of display, so we probably will see better performance in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So he's taken all the previous rumours and said he believes them, too. What a treat these analysts are¡ Note there isn't a single comment about the Mac Pro, Apple Display, or AirPort routers.

The "roadmap" (if we can call it that - this is Apple, after all) makes sense, no one's surprised by that.  However, I do wish that the timing doesn't end up being as spread out as he believes it will be.  The Retina MacBook Pro hasn't seen an update since June of last year, I highly doubt that they would wait an entire year to update the flagship of their notebook lineup.*

As far as AirPort is concerned, it seems like they are waiting on 802.11ac before releasing new models, do we know if Haswell (or Broadcom, I guess) includes support for this? I would also like them to potentially drop "b" compatability, the last 802.11b device I have that gets any use is a Wii and with the recent introduction of the Wii U, I'm not holding my breath waiting for any further system updates.

On a different note, seeing this kind of forecast makes me miss the time period when Snow Leopard was the focus (2009-2011), Apple understood that they had Pro customers that depended on Mac OS X and couldn't abandon them just to chase gains (however profitable) in terms of consumer marketshare.  They were proud of the Mac and it showed. Now, not so much.**

* Owners of the 13" MacBook Pro or MacBook Air may disagree, but the 15" has, and will likely continue to be the technology flagship for the laptop line, a move to update the 13" model was only really done to bring the display to that form factor. 

** See also the removal of Apple's "Science" website in recent weeks.

post #42 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As for Apple's MacBook, the analyst sees an end of life for non-Retina MacBook Pros, which will be replaced by an all-Retina lineup that eschews optical drives. Pricing should be reduced to help move units. The MacBook Air will see little change besides a bump in internal specs as sizing down the high-resolution Retina display is seen as too steep a challenge at this time. Because the Air will not see a significant design change, the tweaked models are expected to arrive earlier in the year, with the all-Retina MacBook Pro line coming in quarter three.

Please let this not be true. I'll happily take the retina display (I paid the extra $92 [with my corporate discount] to upgrade my early-2011 15" to the high-res matte display), but I do.not.want a laptop that has its innards wired to the logic board! While I don't need the optical drive, I do need its bay so that I can have two internal hard drives (a small but fast SSD in the SATA-III bay, and a slow but large HDD in the SATA-II bay). I'm also not crazy about the inability to upgrade RAM in the future. My laptop came with 4gb and was immediately upgraded to 8gb. I like that I can ultimately upgrade to 16gb as the price of RAM falls.

C'mon Apple - please keep the word "pro" in the PRO lineup. 1bugeye.gif

post #43 of 78
Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post
While I don't need the optical drive, I do need its bay so that I can have two internal hard drives (a small but fast SSD in the SATA-III bay, and a slow but large HDD in the SATA-II bay).

A stopgap solution isn't a very good reason not to buy the future.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #44 of 78
I believe there is going to be a new redesigned Mac-Pro...didn't Tim Cook say there would be last year? He should know right? I'm trying to think what it would look like. Say they dump internal expansion slots and the optical drives and use only SSD's. Maybe then, it'll resemble the Mac cube they released in the late 90s early 00s but redesigned for the needs of today - that'd be interesting! That was a stunning design back in the day, more art than computer.
post #45 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A stopgap solution isn't a very good reason not to buy the future.

I guess I don't see this as a necessary future, and it's only a stopgap solution because of the high cost of SSD storage. The Air has to have fixed components to save space. The Retina MBP is smaller than the regular MBP, but it doesn't have to be. It's not that much smaller as to neuter its expandability. When I can get 1tb of storage in my laptop while keeping both the speed of the SSD and the affordability I have now, then I'll see this as the future. For now I see it as (needlessly) fixing components for the sake of a couple of mm.

post #46 of 78
When I can get 1tb of storage in my laptop while keeping both the speed of the SSD and the affordability I have now, then I'll see this as the future. For now I see it as (needlessly) fixing components for the sake of a couple of mm.

So "keep it loose until it doesn't matter to me"? I guess that works.

RAM not being carded solves the problem of a bottleneck. And the SSD is still upgradable, despite what Apple tells you.

post #47 of 78
Quote:

So he's taken all the previous rumours and said he believes them, too. What a treat these analysts are¡ Note there isn't a single comment about the Mac Pro, Apple Display, or AirPort routers.

I believe they were pretty accurate last year. Didn't they predict the timing of the rMBPs and that they would be sold alongside the older model? Apple has been down this path before. The Air was sold alongside the MacBook for 2.5 years before supplanting it.

It will be interesting to see how much Apple is able (and willing) to reduce the price of the rMBP next year. $1199 is the current starting point of the MacBook Pro line. They have already blurred the line between the 13" MBA and 13" rMBP. I wonder if they will just reposition the 13" Air to take the place of the 13" Pro as the top seller. If they can pull off a rMBP for $1299 with decent specs (i.e. the Haswell equivalent of the current $1699 model) they may have a real winner. $1499 seems very doable.

post #48 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Classic 3.5 inch Retina screen, thin tear drop design coupled with a $299 price (for 8GB, each storage upgrade would be Apple's typical $100 upcharge) and this could be a hit.

That would be a negative on the curved back. Too wobbly on a table and the design places two components which need the entire depth of the case back to back at a point where the case tapers. If you move the back facing camera to the side it would be difficult to line up the shot with the camera facing away at an angle. Corners are way too rounded for for good interior volume usage. No place for the speakers. Totally non Apple-esque in my opinion.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #49 of 78
Quote:

So "keep it loose until it doesn't matter to me"? I guess that works.

RAM not being carded solves the problem of a bottleneck. And the SSD is still upgradable, despite what Apple tells you.

My point, really, was that those who want small can buy an Air. Those of us who want a little flexibility (presently) have an alternative. If Apple wants to go this route, why not put a Retina display in the Air and keep the Pro as-is? And true, I get that the SSD is upgradable, but I was able to outfit my machine with double the RAM it came with as well as 750gb of storage plus 120gb of fast OS and Application storage (including my 50gb Windows 7 VM) and a high-res matte display for the total sum of about $2600. When I price out the equivalency of a 15" retina (including upgrading the processor and doubling the memory as I did with my current machine, and adding an external superdrive as I effectively did by moving my machine's internal superdrive to an external case), I come up with a figure over $3500. And that gives me over 100gb less storage than I have now. Granted the new machine will absolutely scream with all that storage being SSD, and have an amazingly sharp display, but with a $900 premium (keep in mind I spec'd out these systems using my corporate discount code - the premium would be around $1000 more at retail prices).

I get the needs of the many, and so on. However, I just feel like the reduction in size on the retina isn't necessary. Again, for those who want small and light, get an Air.

What if Apple redesigned the Mac Pro to be more like the iMac? Do you think power users would feel alienated by a machine with no expansion cards or internal storage, and no possibility of future upgrades?

post #50 of 78
If Apple wants to go this route, why not put a Retina display in the Air and keep the Pro as-is?

Because it's a bigger world than just making it thinner. They're doing this for other, better reasons.

…$2600. …$3500. 

You're operating under the assumption that this will always be the price. By the time they drop the non-retina models, price won't matter.

What if Apple redesigned the Mac Pro to be more like the iMac? Do you think power users would feel alienated…

Oh, they will. And they will! But they'll be wrong. It'll be interesting, hopefully. We'll have to wait for Apple to wow us again.

post #51 of 78
2 issues i have with this story

1. why is it "breaking" when its only a rehash of previous rumour articles

2. it says "Apple ... TO FEATURE ...."
Who confirmed that??? Surely it should read "may feature"?
mislead much?

ANALysts!!
post #52 of 78
Quote:

Because it's a bigger world than just making it thinner. They're doing this for other, better reasons.

I hope so - although I can't imagine what those reasons are. Thin for the sake of thin sounds similar to spec-whoring to me...

"Mine is thinner." 

"Yeah, well mine is faster."

"But mine is thinner."

Quote:

You're operating under the assumption that this will always be the price. By the time they drop the non-retina models, price won't matter.

Oh undoubtedly - prices will fall. They always do. But then applications and data get bigger. By the time a 1TB SSD is as affordable as a 1TB HDD, we'll need 2TB of storage.

Quote:

Oh, they will. And they will! But they'll be wrong. It'll be interesting, hopefully. We'll have to wait for Apple to wow us again.

I don't know that they'll be wrong. Granted, the inclusion of Thunderbolt (and the upcoming SuperSpeed USB3) will make a lot of that internal stuff somewhat superfluous, if the external devices ever ship. And that's fine for a desktop machine such as a Mac Pro (or an iMac), but it makes less sense for a portable.

Who knows - perhaps you'll be right. I'll be so wowed by what comes that I'll buy one. But today, the way things are, I'd chose the older MacBook Pro over a Retina MacBook Pro without hesitation or regret. If the older MacBook Pro were to disappear today, I would very much mourn its loss.

post #53 of 78
They skipped the IMac and why are 90% in second half of year.
post #54 of 78

Am I missing something but what makes this rumor/prediction any different than any other rumor/prediction....as to highlight this particular article as "BREAKING" news? 

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #55 of 78
MAC PRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. - GC
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. - GC
post #56 of 78
There is no way Apple will remove the camera from the iPod to reduce the price.

The only way they will reduce the price is via cheaper enclosures and a reduction of current component costs.
post #57 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by beta.services View Post

There is no way Apple will remove the camera from the iPod to reduce the price.

The only way they will reduce the price is via cheaper enclosures and a reduction of current component costs.

Why not? The original Touch didn't have one, and when Apple ultimately did put a camera in the Touch, it wasn't really much better than what was in the old QuickTake and yet they sold loads of them. And now there's the iPad Mini coming in at a price not too far off the price of the Touch, so if they want to keep it a viable product, they may just have to find a way to lower its price.

post #58 of 78
Quote:

Why not? The original Touch didn't have one, and when Apple ultimately did put a camera in the Touch, it wasn't really much better than what was in the old QuickTake and yet they sold loads of them. And now there's the iPad Mini coming in at a price not too far off the price of the Touch, so if they want to keep it a viable product, they may just have to find a way to lower its price.

dumb.

If anything they'll offer an 8GB model again.

post #59 of 78
Quote:

And now there's the iPad Mini coming in at a price not too far off the price of the Touch, so if they want to keep it a viable product, they may just have to find a way to lower its price.

The iPad mini has mostly the same grade components as the iPod Touch, including being almost having nearly as many pixels.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #60 of 78
I
Quote:

A cheaper iPhone does make a lot of sense, but I doubt they'll ever make one rugged enough for dirt biking 1wink.gif

There are a few plastic iPhone mockups online that look very Apple-esque. I wouldn't be surprised if they released something akin to this:

Classic 3.5 inch Retina screen, thin tear drop design coupled with a $299 price (for 8GB, each storage upgrade would be Apple's typical $100 upcharge) and this could be a hit.

I like this design, except I would want to see the screen on the back instead. Have a curved glass screen that curves away instead of flat. The back of the phone would be flat instead. I know it's almost impossible right now but it would be cool
post #61 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

I
I like this design, except I would want to see the screen on the back instead. Have a curved glass screen that curves away instead of flat. The back of the phone would be flat instead. I know it's almost impossible right now but it would be cool

Why would you want the screen to curve away? That'd probably be very uncomfortable to hold up to your ear.
post #62 of 78
Quote:

The iPad mini has mostly the same grade components as the iPod Touch, including being almost having nearly as many pixels.

That doesn't make the iPod Touch more viable as a product.  

It's not a stretch to predict that the iPod Touch will more rapidly decline in popularity now that the iPad Mini is available.

post #63 of 78

You know what's wrong with this article?  It focuses on hardware.  This year Apple needs to focus on software in order to remain competitive.  iOS is looking pretty old.  The iWork suite needs some love.  iPhoto on iOS needs some smoothing over.  If Apple wants to sell more devices, they're going to have to give people something new to look at when they turn it on.

post #64 of 78
Originally Posted by aeberhar View Post
iOS is looking pretty old.

People really need to stop saying this when that's all they say.

If Apple wants to sell more devices, they're going to have to give people something new to look at when they turn it on.

"Oh, no. A Dock. A Menu Bar. Icons. A Desktop. Screw that. That's old. I want to not have a clue what I'm looking at when I buy a new machine."

Didn't work for Windows 8; not gonna work anywhere else.

post #65 of 78

Sorry, but when people don't buy Apple products because they don't like the way they look, "old" is a relevant concern for an Apple OS.

post #66 of 78
Sorry, but when people don't buy Apple products because they don't like the way they look, "old" is a relevant concern for an Apple OS.

No, this statement is not based in any sort of fact or reason.

post #67 of 78

As you wish.  I'm not going to argue about it.

post #68 of 78
As you wish.  I'm not going to argue about it.

Of course not; you're lying through your teeth, you have zero evidence of what you're saying, and there's no possible way for you to argue it.

post #69 of 78
I too looked carefully for mention of an upgraded Mac Pro. I'm writing this on a Mac Pro 1,1 - as in the very first model. I'm game for an upgrade, but Apple doesn't seem to want my money. This is a workhorse and a very flexible/extendable system. I'd like Apple to step up and fix its flaws and give me some more breathing room - so I can go 7 or more years on the next one.
post #70 of 78

Well liney, Tim did promise one this year.

As with most financial analysts, I reckon random predictions would do better than this guy's effort!

His predictions look very Q3 heavy.  Apple tends to spread out its releases over the course of the year, with a bit of a surge in the June to September period.  I expect newer iPads before September, and he's got them clearly separated but it's obvious they will be updated together...ditto iPhones!

Also why does he say "New design Retina MacBook Pro"?  They only just got a redesign last year!  There's no way they'll change their shape again.  The Air is more likely to have a redesign.  New MacBook Pros are more likely to come in Q1 or 2 in my opinion.  The 15" has been out 7 months and both sizes are a bit overpriced.  Sales will be dead if they wait all the way until Q3.

That and no Mac Pro make this guy's predictions epic fail.  Time will tell.  Why is he getting so much publicity?

post #71 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by liney 
I too looked carefully for mention of an upgraded Mac Pro. I'm writing this on a Mac Pro 1,1 - as in the very first model. I'm game for an upgrade, but Apple doesn't seem to want my money.

Apple wanted your money in 2010 but you held out. They are returning the favour.
Quote:
This is a workhorse

It's slower than a Macbook Air now so there are plenty of upgrade options. Time to take ole Rusty to the glue factory.
Quote:
I'd like Apple to step up and fix its flaws and give me some more breathing room - so I can go 7 or more years on the next one.

You can't go that long without an upgrade - the Mac Pro has a short lifespan because computers go out of date more quickly than displays, which is why they are better being separate
but no, the Mac Pro has a long lifespan because the fastest ones are more powerful at the start (everybody buys the fastest ones)
but no, the Mac Pro has a short lifespan because these are high-end machines on the cutting edge of awesome and pros need every fraction of power they can get every year
but no, the Mac Pro has a long lifespan, which is why it has higher quality components
but no, the Mac Pro has a short lifespan because it has the same warranty as any other machine and out-of-warranty repairs are very expensive
but no, the Mac Pro has a long lifespan because it can be upgraded meaning you don't have to buy a new one for a long time.

^ pick one at random on any day of the week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.metcalf 
His predictions look very Q3 heavy. Apple tends to spread out its releases over the course of the year, with a bit of a surge in the June to September period.

This is going to be Intel's fault again. Haswell isn't coming until June now. The laptops should have arrived in April. Also the quad-core Rogue 6 GPU for the iOS devices (all the 'S' speed upgrades) doesn't come until the second half either.

That pretty much leaves Apple with nothing for the entire first 6 months except sorting their iMac supply and it crams everything into Q3 (not fiscal Q3). The guesser (= analyst) really should split it by month but obviously it helps their credibility to be as vague as possible.

Ivy Bridge EP for the new Mac Pro should (*gives Intel the stink eye*) arrive at the beginning of the 2nd half:

http://wccftech.com/intels-leaked-roadmap-shows-ivy-bridgeepen-processors-12-cores-30mb-cache-130w-tdp/

That means it can launch at WWDC and they can talk about them being made in America. The Macbook Pros should also be updated as they will be beyond the end of their cycle and are their most popular machines. If the higher performance GT3 chips launch later, it makes sense to push back the Air and Mini and the iMac isn't near the end of its cycle until later.

In September/October, they can launch new iPhones/iPads with quad-core graphics.

For now, we twiddle the thumbs for 5 months. Apple should really add another leg to that 4-legged stool, like a car. Elon Musk can't have spent over $180m on Tesla yet, no more than $0.5b taking into account investment. Tim Cook can leave that in a bar by accident and not care. Apple makes over $13b profit in a quarter. It can be their new hobby. Even just a special edition Tesla with the hood friction stir welded shut - like the Rolls Royce of Teslas.
post #72 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Nice compilation of existing rumours - with one DIRTY BiG OMISSION, no MAC PRO !
Hope Tim proves him wrong - sooner rather than later.

I go along with the rest of it tho'

What I don't like are the release dates.  It's stacking too much up over a short period of time.I would like for Apple release products spread out over the year a little more evenly.  It might help with production during the Christmas season.  Worst thing to happen is not enough inventory for Christmas.

post #73 of 78
Quote:

Your guess is better than any analyst since NONE of them mention the Mac Pro at all.

Actually, it's more of a hoping, not for my sake, but for Apple's and the customers that have been waiting.  It's been a long time and they need to release something.  The only thing that I am worried about is that Apple might be waiting for a new Chip out of Intel. When are the Ivy Bridge Xeon chips due out?  This and next quarter?

What I would LOVE to see Apple do, is a more robust Mac Mini aimed at the Pro market which would be basically the guts of the iMacs in a box with a larger form factor than the Mini, but the same height.   Reason?  A lot of pros that don't need slots will give them the freedom to not have to always cart their system around with the monitor.    Then they might be able to make the Thunderbolt monitor with the thin bezel and the back will not bulge out as much either.

post #74 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

That and no Mac Pro make this guy's predictions epic fail.  Time will tell.  Why is he getting so much publicity?

His predictions have been right in the past, but Tim Cook did promise something for the pros this year.

One possible explanation is that this guy makes his predictions based on sources in the Asian supply chain, but the Mac Pro won't be made in Asia.

post #75 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

His predictions have been right in the past, but Tim Cook did promise something for the pros this year.

One possible explanation is that this guy makes his predictions based on sources in the Asian supply chain, but the Mac Pro won't be made in Asia.

I think the most likely US assembled Mac would be the Mac Pro but we don't yet know.

post #76 of 78
I think the most likely US assembled Mac would be the Mac Pro but we don't yet know.

We saw pictures of iMacs that said "Assembled in USA", didn't we?

post #77 of 78
Quote:

I guess we did: http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/12/02/some-new-imacs-marked-as-being-assembled-in-america

post #78 of 78
Quote:

Yes the 2013 IMac does not need much for U.S. made
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's 2013 product pipeline to feature new iPhones and all-Retina iPad and MacBook Pro lineups