or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › John Sculley says Apple needs cheap iPhone for emerging smartphone markets

John Sculley says Apple needs cheap iPhone for emerging smartphone markets - Page 2

post #41 of 131
The fastest growing segment for telecom companies is the prepaid plans.... It's also the least profitable for them. Good! They charge too much as it is.

I don't have a problem with Apple selling a less expensive product. There are ~7 billion people on the planet and ~6 billion don't have a smart phone. Go get em, Apple! 1smile.gif
post #42 of 131

Considered the source....moved on.

post #43 of 131

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 5/16/13 at 12:24pm
post #44 of 131

Tim just put an immediate halt on any further research and development into a cheap iPhone for emerging markets.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #45 of 131

Aren't the previous 2 models of the iPhone the cheap versions?

post #46 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb510 View Post

I think everyone is overlooking a market equally important to "emerging markets"...  kids...

More and more kids 12-16 are getting phones, and most parents don't want to put $600 devices in their hands.  This is also about producing a new gateway drug.

The kids get their parent's 'old' iPhones when their parents upgrade to the newest model.

post #47 of 131
Only because he's a former CEO is he any kind of news. Since the press don't have any facts to draw from, they pick former Apple employees to get their two cents worth.
post #48 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Because one-size-fits-all doesn't.

The worst thing about Sculley's remark is its obviousness.

Apple doesn't sell just one type of computer, and sooner or later they'll start diversifying their phones as well.

Apple is too big and too smart to cede so much of the market to competitors.  I'm surprised so many here underestimate Apple's scope.

Apple also needs to build a netbook then to compete with the cheap laptops. Apple will enter markets where it expects to make a profit.

post #49 of 131

Speechless. This IDIOT!!! Thanks He Knows What Apple NEEDS. WHY was he interviewed in the first place? To get 15 seconds of fame? Well, Sorry John but that's Woz's job.

post #50 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

You sound like an american through and through. The culture of spending more that they can really afford is what got the US economy in the shitbox its in at the moment. "Everything on credit" is just fine till you have to pay the bill, and you DO have to pay the bills. I see it on AI consistently. People talk about "free iphones" as if it's something that exists. Remember "there's NO FREE LUNCH". So seducing people to buy hi-tech toys that the can't afford is like selling crack on the street-corner.

Like it or not, Apple is a commodity producer. Their products are toys. Nice toys perhaps. They are no the slightest bit "elite" or exclusive. There is nothing exclusive about having a toy that every kid on the block has. That's the  difference between Ferrari and Porsche, or perhaps Rolls-Royce and Cadillac (or whatever). It's the difference between a suite "off the hook" and a tailored suit.  So if they want to be "elite" and "exclusive" then they should simply increase the price of the Iphone ... say 100 x, so that only the rich can afford it. In that segment, performance and tech doesn't matter a hoot. Exclusivity and "style" are where its at. A rolex oyster is expensive, but by no means the "best" watch on the market.

So it's Apple's call. If they want to be a commodity, then that's fine. Its money in the bank. But they have already lost the race in terms of being "cutting edge tech", and sure as hell have lost their "exclusivity".

Not sure if you mean this as an insult to the United States or not. Do you mean buying more than you can afford as being an American ideal? As opposed to Greece, Ireland, Italy, or Spain? Seems more of a European idea to me.
post #51 of 131

Since Scully is saying this, it's probably safe to assume that a cheap iPhone would be a really fu[king bad idea.

post #52 of 131

The sheer UNITY of response here is absolutely tremendous. What a way to start a day. 

Originally Posted by bleh1234 View Post

You should have included what the "**" refers to. maybe on a NEW 2YR contract? which is not good for PAYG customers

The iPhone 4 on PAYG is only about $200, last I saw.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #53 of 131
Since when did Sculley become an expert on Apple? The idiot ran the company into the ground . He should shut up and stick to selling sugar water.
post #54 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsonice View Post

Since when did Sculley become an expert on Apple? The idiot ran the company into the ground . He should shut up and stick to selling sugar water.

His only claim to fame is he managed to ride the back of Steve's: 'Apple, Adobe, Aldus DTP revolution' for a few years before he nearly killed the horse.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #55 of 131

John Sculley said... *rolls eyes*

post #56 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

I'm more interested in what Gil Amelio has to say...

Right on. Bloomberg should have interviewed the CEO who brought Steve Jobs back to Apple, not the CEO who fired him.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #57 of 131
If I were Tim Cook, I would meet with Sculley every month to make sure Apple is doing the opposite of anything Sculley thinks Apple should be doing.
post #58 of 131

Hey, I'm wondering what Apple should do... who would I talk to? Oh yah, I'll ask one of the worst CEOs in Apple's history and the guy who fired Steve Jobs. Sure.

post #59 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Sculley should have stuck to selling sugar water

Corn syrup. It's cheaper and therefore more "tailored for emerging markets."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #60 of 131

In my mind Sculley only made one real mistake.  That was signing the look and feel of the Mac windowed desktop environment over to Microsoft IN PERPETUITY.

As a CEO I don't think you ever sign a document that has the word "perpetuity" in it.

So when it comes to things Sculley says, do as George Costanza did - become Opposite George.

post #61 of 131
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
Corn syrup. It's cheaper and therefore more "tailored for emerging markets."

Unhumorously enough, that's backward. It's the third world backwaters that get the natural sugar; we're stuck with HFCS… 😡

post #62 of 131

You're good in making sugared water sculley. Just stay like that.

post #63 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The sheer UNITY of response here is absolutely tremendous.

Well, at least TWO of the usual suspects agreed with Sculley that Apple should 'diversify' and and sell cheap phones to poor countries, lest they lose the race to the bottom like they did in the PC market.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #64 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Unhumorously enough, that's backward. It's the third world backwaters that get the natural sugar; we're stuck with HFCS… 😡

Yeah.

If I'm not mistaken, Mexican Coke (the drinkable Coke, not the kind that you snort up your nose) contains real sugar cane, while virtually everything here in the US (including Coke), uses HFCS.

post #65 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Because one-size-fits-all doesn't.

The worst thing about Sculley's remark is its obviousness.

Apple doesn't sell just one type of computer, and sooner or later they'll start diversifying their phones as well.

Apple is too big and too smart to cede so much of the market to competitors.  I'm surprised so many here underestimate Apple's scope.

Such last-century thinking.

Apple doesn't sell just one type of mobile device, either. They have MacBook Pros, MacBook Airs, iPads, iPad minis, iPhone 4, 4S & 5, and an array of iPods. Even more diversity than looking at it by "computers". Yet, the one thing none of these displays of diversity does not show is a pandering to the expectations of analysts, nor a participation in a commodity market.

This call for Apple to enter the cheap "smartphone" market is just netbooks revisited. An insistence that they must enter a market with no profits simply because "everyone" is doing it. Apple is too smart to cede its business strategy to analysts. I'm surprised so many keep repeating the mistaken ideas of the past.

post #66 of 131
Can't wait until Apple announces a cheaper phone for emerging markets, so I can hear all the experts hear talk about what a great idea it is, and how important emerging markets are, etc.
post #67 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Yeah.

If I'm not mistaken, Mexican Coke (the drinkable Coke, not the kind that you snort up your nose) contains real sugar cane, while virtually everything here in the US (including Coke), uses HFCS.

Corn subsidies. They have to do something with all that corn.

post #68 of 131
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
Corn subsidies. They have to do something with all that corn.

"Grow something else instead" isn't an option? lol.gif

Heck, keep it out of food: give it all to ethanol. We have sugarcane going to ethanol! That's crazy!

post #69 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

He's the former CEO of Apple for a reason. 

Yep. And what phone did they release on his watch. How high did the stock value go on his watch

And what tech company has he run since then. Correction, what reasonably successful tech company has he run
post #70 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

hey Sculley,

YOU'RE FIRED and are NOT coming back to Apple. Apple already has older gen iPhones that are sold to emerging markets as low cost iPhones.

Where exactly are these emerging markets that insist on buying no contract phones for no more than $200.

Asia? Well something like 60% of the resellers buying phones in the US to 'grey market' are sending them to China. Where they are sold for full price plus in droves.

Russia, Poland etc? Apparently that's 25-30% of the resellers, same game

So where's this market that won't buy these 'too expensive' iPhones
post #71 of 131
Quote:

What I am wondering is what features would this "cheaper" iphone have that the more "expensive" one would not have?

B/W Retina display.

Outgoing voice communication only

Incomming text only.

No Battrey A/C conenction only

post #72 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

You have to give Gil at least a little credit for saving Apple. He did pay NeXT to acquire Apple, and afterward, if he had had any clue what he was doing and been able to hang on to his job, things might have been very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacManFelix View Post

Me too. At least he didn't totally, completely suck as CEO (not quite).

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Spot on.

Sculley probably gets more blame than he deserves for Apple's missteps in the late 80's/early 90's time frame. Granted by the time he was forced out, Apple should have seen the writing on the wall and changed course. Instead they hired one idiot (who, aside from the transition to Power PC was completely incompetent) and then another (whose only saving grace was that he had the foresight to buy NeXT and bring Steve back). You would think that Amelio would have known better having been at Bell, Fairchild, and National Semi and understood the needs of Apple's customers, but he wasted it all and basically orchestrated his own departure by bringing Steve back to advise the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Can't wait until Apple announces a cheaper phone for emerging markets, so I can hear all the experts hear talk about what a great idea it is, and how important emerging markets are, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Where exactly are these emerging markets that insist on buying no contract phones for no more than $200.

Asia? Well something like 60% of the resellers buying phones in the US to 'grey market' are sending them to China. Where they are sold for full price plus in droves.

Russia, Poland etc? Apparently that's 25-30% of the resellers, same game

So where's this market that won't buy these 'too expensive' iPhones

What is the reason for Apple's continued fascination with markets like China, India, etc? Granted, they are huge opportunities to gain share, but to large segments of the population, Apple is not even an option. The entire market is so focused on price that it almost seems foolish to pursue. Some of the people in these places do not earn enough in their entire working lives to afford even one Apple product, hence the gray market which has any combination of real phones being resold or knockoffs that are made so cheap that it's a miracle they work at all.  

post #73 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMF View Post

What is the reason for Apple's continued fascination with markets like China, India, etc? Granted, they are huge opportunities to gain share, but to large segments of the population, Apple is not even an option. The entire market is so focused on price that it almost seems foolish to pursue. Some of the people in these places do not earn enough in their entire working lives to afford even one Apple product, hence the gray market which has any combination of real phones being resold or knockoffs that are made so cheap that it's a miracle they work at all.  

Having a smaller percentage or wealthy or having a much larger percentage of poor does not mean they don't have a huge number of people that can easily afford Apple's products. Asia-Pacifici now has more millions (based on USD) than the US.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #74 of 131

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 5/16/13 at 12:27pm
post #75 of 131
This guy suffers from Pepsi Brain Rot disease. Who in the world cares what John Sculley has to say about anything little less Apple Products. He damned near ruined Apple. Apple wants clean, highly engineered, quality products, not cheap crap that others might like to have so nay, nay on cheap iPhones. Let the rest of the world "catch the vision or catch the bus!"
post #76 of 131

Sculley…

You were an idiot way back when… You’re an idiot now… AND, that’s why Jobs FIRED YOU BEFORE !!! 

SHUT THE FU** UP AND GO AWAY !!! 

NOW!!!!

post #77 of 131
Originally Posted by Bwinski View Post
…that’s why Jobs FIRED YOU BEFORE !!! 

Well, hired. By the time Jobs came back to Apple, Sculley was long gone.

post #78 of 131

Smartphones are becoming a commodity, regardless if Apple doesn't want that to happen.  Apple created the market, now others are moving in.  larger screens, lower cost, Apple cannot sit still and proudly wave their iPhone and take the intellectual high ground while others each up their market share.  Apple needs to keep people in their ecosystem, offering great products, but recognizing that a vast number of people can't afford the "very best."  They need to keep people buying on iTunes and the rest of their stores.  The formula for success is now obvious to others and Apple needs to compete.  And I watched Sculley almost destroy Apple, but he has a point to make here that others have pointed out as well.

post #79 of 131

Why in the world does anyone listen to his opinion?? Must be a very slow news day . . .

post #80 of 131
Originally Posted by mickeymantle View Post
…but recognizing that a vast number of people can't afford the "very best."

iPhone 4S. iPhone 4.

They need to keep people buying on iTunes and the rest of their stores.

So an iPhone without apps would be a pretty bad idea, then.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › John Sculley says Apple needs cheap iPhone for emerging smartphone markets