or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Investment banks see 50 million iPhones sold in Q4, $1,111 target for AAPL shares
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Investment banks see 50 million iPhones sold in Q4, $1,111 target for AAPL shares - Page 2

post #41 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Thanks!




Fourth highest. FOURTH. HIGHEST.

What the heck is Pizza Inn? Looks like every single argument against Apple in the App Store trademark thread has just been invalidated: you don't like how "Pizza" and "Hut" in one name have been trademarked? SHUT UP AND CHANGE YOUR NAME. Worked for these guys.

1) For a company with about 150x the market cap of the next highest on the list it's an outrageous P/E.

2) Pizza Inn is a hotel chain that has a pizza buffet in the morning instead of a continental breakfast. (not true)


edit: Wow!




I just have to post this clip again...



edit 2: Each chain started in 1958. Pizza Hut in Kansas and Pizza Inn in Texas.
Edited by SolipsismX - 1/16/13 at 7:46pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #42 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Actually, everything I've seen says that Apple's CURRENT P/E is under 12 and the forward P/E is under 9. After you adjust for cash, those numbers drop to about 10-11 current and low 7s for forward P/E/

 

AAPL PEG (price earnings to growth ratio) is 0.48 vs. Google's (1.35) or Facebook's 2.01

 

By most measures AAPL is relatively inexpensive. Or doomed. Or something.

post #43 of 72

post #44 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post


Is that part of Beyonce's Superbowl halftime costume? I need to put on my glasses.
post #45 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

I wasn't aware Apple had released sales figures for Q4. I thought that was next week.

As for Q3, well: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/08/galaxy-s3-sales-worlds-number-one-smartphone_n_2091689.html

Now if you want to compare ALL iPhones, from 3GS to 5, versus ALL Galaxy S series phones, pretty sure Samsung comes out ahead on that too.

I was basing my opinion on Samsung's breakdown of 100,000,000 Galaxy S sales, which they announced on the 14th, 40,000,000 Galaxy S III's and 40,000,000 Galaxy S 2's vs 65,000,000 iPhones sold last quarter.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #46 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post



Too funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Is that part of Beyonce's Superbowl halftime costume? I need to put on my glasses.

I thought it was Janet Jackson's thingy that Justin Timberlake tore off

I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #47 of 72

Tell me why the hell hasn't the securities and exchange commission not raise hell. It is obvious that over the past few weeks the market manipulators have been driving down Apple's stock price?!!!!

GTFO!
 

post #48 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Actually, everything I've seen says that Apple's CURRENT P/E is under 12 and the forward P/E is under 9. After you adjust for cash, those numbers drop to about 10-11 current and low 7s for forward P/E/

I agree. The previous poster's 12x Forward P/E was based on the price six months ago, when, recall, AAPL was selling for a much higher price....
post #49 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I was basing my opinion on Samsung's breakdown of 100,000,000 Galaxy S sales, which they announced on the 14th, 40,000,000 Galaxy S III's and 40,000,000 Galaxy S 2's vs 65,000,000 iPhones sold last quarter.

I still find it very odd that, for all such vaunted success, these guys never report volumes in their audited financials..... And no one in the market seems to give a hoot.
post #50 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

AAPL has been on a short down term recently, fueled by various factors, including general global economic worries, fiscal cliff crap and a whole slew of moronic and clueless media writing garbage, bogus articles. Not very bright people have been predicting Apple's death for decades now, and I'm sorry to tell these morons that Apple's best days are still ahead of it.

 

Less about death, and more about market saturation and stagnation...  Even if Android isn't making money in the market, it's soaking up potential buyers.  Same with tablets and PCs.   Apple is making money hands over fist, but it can't make 'more' money, because the market is not growing (faster than the population rate).

 

The past 4 months have all been about market manipulation in the general sense (all markets are manipulated)... the combo platter of Euro debt crisis, the shrinking of the US middle class (we're not talking gulfstreams here... we are talking phones and tablets... you need a person earning 30,000 a year feeling like they can afford an apple phone or iPad), the byzantine Chinese market (you almost have to give away your design to get into that market...), and the law of large numbers theory (Apple is too big to grow faster than the general market).  

 

Articles aren't written for truth, they are written for  purpose... the most basic is... profit.  Either by driving prices in a direction or just ad hits.

This market correction is an aberration caused for those who felt that apple's dividend, Steve's death, the risk of samsung winning the lawsuit last year were too great of risks to be Long Apple.  So for the last 4 months, this 

 

Looking at the numbers... This Friday is a major day on the Options board.  A lot of action is due on Friday, 3 business days before quarterly earnings report.  There is some price that the big risk holders need, and the indication is, it's $500, and the news will give an take around that number until Friday 4pm.   

post #51 of 72

AAPL should just do a 10 for 1 stock split placing at around $50. Then I believe many people will more inclined to think it can reach $110. per share easily.

post #52 of 72
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

 

You know, it's amazing. One action by these two humans is responsible for people no longer having live TV.

 

I wonder if one action by two humans was responsible for Samsung's design decisions in the last five years…

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #53 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Less about death, and more about market saturation and stagnation...  Even if Android isn't making money in the market, it's soaking up potential buyers.  Same with tablets and PCs.   Apple is making money hands over fist, but it can't make 'more' money, because the market is not growing (faster than the population rate).

 

 

The "population" of people switching from basic and feature phones to smartphones is still growing, rapidly.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #54 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potsie Webber View Post

AAPL should just do a 10 for 1 stock split placing at around $50. Then I believe many people will more inclined to think it can reach $110. per share easily.

More importantly, a $50 share price is more likely to attract individual investors for psychological reasons. Apple's institutional ownership is so high (68%) that it lends itself to manipulation.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #55 of 72

if by "psychological reasons" you mean stupidity — then yes, possibly. it doesn't matter if the shares are $50 or $500.

post #56 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post

if by "psychological reasons" you mean stupidity — then yes, possibly. it doesn't matter if the shares are $50 or $500.

Yes, it does.

What if you have $400 to invest? 8 shares of AAPL or 0.8 shares. Oh, wait. You can't buy 0.8 shares.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #57 of 72

$400 isn't an investment, it's a hobby. people buying single shares of stuff don't move markets.

post #58 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post

$400 isn't an investment, it's a hobby. people buying single shares of stuff don't move markets.

What kind of elitist crap is this? My parents and my grandparents before them would invest what they could each month into a company they believed in to slowly build up a portfolio. They weren't investing what little extra hard earned cash they had into a hobby. It's an investment. They were investors. This was not some whimsical decision done at one's leisure time for pleasure and I am offended that anyone could make such a derisive comment about people looking toward a brighter future.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #59 of 72

Sensitive much? I think you're reading a bit too much into what I said. I didn't say "People looking toward a brighter future can suck it!"

 

If you're incrementally building a portfolio, you can just save up until you can buy a single share of a more expensive stock if it's above your monthly budget. Nobody is making you buy a share at the start of every month, put it in savings or whatever. 

 

But the point is, I don't see how splitting the stock is going to change the balance in any measurable way, even if it does attract more low-volume (is that better than hobbyist?) investors. It'll still be moved by the institutions, not the tiny minority of people who are saving up for single shares. Do you disagree? 

post #60 of 72
Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post

…even if it does attract more low-volume (is that better than hobbyist?) investors.

 

Well, it's better that you're now contradicting yourself when you claimed these people weren't investors. Now you're saying that they are, which makes everything a little better.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #61 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


It's not at all crazy.

If Apple simply returns to the same P/E as the rest of the market, its share price would be over $1,000.

 

The rest of the market doesn't have the market cap that Apple does.  If you compare the next largest company (Exxon-Mobil), Apple's P/E ratio is actually higher.  

 

Also, P/E isn't all that matters, especially not for mega-cap stocks.  


Edited by Mikeb85 - 1/18/13 at 11:40am
post #62 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Well, it's better that you're now contradicting yourself when you claimed these people weren't investors. Now you're saying that they are, which makes everything a little better.

 

FFS. I said $400 wasn't an investment, obviously dashed with some hyperbole as yes, even a penny is an investment. The point I was trying to make has nothing to do with whether these *people* are "investors" or not — you guys are being overly pedantic. I was saying that $400 ALONE is not a significant investment, and I stand by the assertion that people who own a single share of a stock are not going to be making big waves in the market.

post #63 of 72
Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post
I said $400 wasn't an investment, obviously dashed with some hyperbole as yes, even a penny is an investment.

So then you probably shouldn't have said it. 1confused.gif


…you guys are being overly pedantic. 

 

No, you're just lying to yourself.


I was saying that $400 ALONE is not a significant investment…
Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post
$400 isn't an investment…

 

Looks like you're saying it's not an investment at all. Don't move goalposts.


…I stand by the assertion that people who own a single share of a stock are not going to be making big waves in the market.

 

I don't think either of us question that. Except where these people join together, of course.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #64 of 72

This is silly. I was talking about a single transaction, and exaggerating a bit to make a point. There's no need to take my original statement LITERALLY if I didn't make that clear, or dissect everything and suck the fun out of participating in these forums. I certainly wasn't talking about anyone's grandparents, and you seem just intent to prove that I said something I didn't mean whether or not it has anything to do with the actual point I was trying to make. Hey, maybe we're both wrong!

post #65 of 72
Originally Posted by fast asleep View Post
…exaggerating a bit to make a point.

 

Multiplication by zero equals zero. If any amount is an investment, no amount can be said not to be.


I certainly wasn't talking about anyone's grandparents…

 

No, you weren't, and no one said you were. Solipsism simply offered them as an example of this type of investor.


…and you seem just intent to prove that I said something I didn't mean…

 

Did you say anything you didn't mean beyond claiming there's a minimum size of investment required for it to even be called an investment?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #66 of 72

No. My point was, of course, that people struggling to buy a single share of AAPL don't matter in this equation. I don't imagine any number of investors at this level are in any position* to change the dynamics of the market. I wasn't talking about minimum amounts to be considered investment. It was an illustrative figure of speech, if you will, and clearly an untrue one if picked apart as you seem to be keen on doing. I don't see any reason to argue over this as it has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make, and I *get* what you're saying, it just doesn't matter.

 

Hopefully this response is more to your liking since you deleted the other one.

post #67 of 72
Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post
No. My point was, of course, that people struggling to buy a single share of AAPL don't matter in this equation. I don't imagine any number of investors at this level are in any position* to change the dynamics of the market.

 

And again, I don't believe that anyone was in disagreement with this point.


I wasn't talking about minimum amounts to be considered investment.

 

You explicitly stated the opposite of what you are claiming here.


…clearly an untrue one…

 

Why in the world would you base any legitimate argument on an untrue statement? Once again, I am not disagreeing that single investor owning a small number of shares does not have a lot of pull. So just say that instead of using lies to lead into your point. 


Hopefully this response is more to your liking since you deleted the other one.

 

Sure; it's an actual response instead of a personal attack.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #68 of 72

Maybe you missed the part where I said it was intended as hyperbole. But sure, lies. 

 

Happy Friday!

post #69 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure; it's an actual response instead of a personal attack.

 

So you delete personal attacks against yourself.

 

Will you do the same for others here?  Personal attacks, instead of responses, are way too common in this forum. and seem to be totally ignored by the mods.  (I was a CompuServe mod back in the 80s and we would've banned some of the offenders around here.)

post #70 of 72
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post
So you delete personal attacks against yourself.

 

I normally leave them for myself.


Will you do the same for others here?

 

Of course! If you see something that violates our rules, please do report it:

 

 

and it will be looked over by myself, JeffDM, Marvin, melgross, Mr. H, or… Well, I guess those're the only active mods anymore. 

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #71 of 72
Folks, the second I heard this "analyst" come out with a cartoon number of $1,111.11 I said AAPL was going to fall. That was when it was around $650 and the talking heads just HAD TO quote the price every 5 minutes. Unbeknownst to me a friend had purchased AAPL at $643 and I didn't hear the moans until it had fallen to below $500. AAPL is a pump and dump stock on steroids, for proof is that analyst still holding his shares? How did he manage to just wake up one day and say "Oops, I better revise that down to $888.88"? AAPL also confounded the talking heads when it closed on a Friday in December a exactly $500.00 because, what were hey going to talk about on Monday, since Apple stock wasn't above OR below $500 which is the all-important go to fill in for a few minutes of talking head time blah blah blah ad nauseum.
And all those people who held on are lashing out at BBRY, how dare they try to regain their status. Don't they know about Apple TV, and that AAPL has $137 billion stashed overseas that they refuse to repatriate because that would mean paying taxes, after all it's just the little guy who pays taxes.
You can buy 1 share of AAPL or 28 shares of BBRY. Which one will double from it's current level? Which one will increase dramatically from the upcoming short squeeze of 164 million shares (33% of the float)? Those shares of BBRY HAVE TO be bought back, more shares of AAPL do not have to be purchased. If you did get in AAPL at $650 and bought more today at $413, your average cost is now $531.50 just to break even. Soon you'll hear more lofty targets and those "analysts" will then be selling after making some more money because AAPL is no longer a growth stock. it pays less than 3% dividend, and Steve Jobs ain't coming back.
post #72 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy55 View Post

Folks, the second I heard this "analyst" come out with a cartoon number of $1,111.11 I said AAPL was going to fall. That was when it was around $650 and the talking heads just HAD TO quote the price every 5 minutes. Unbeknownst to me a friend had purchased AAPL at $643 and I didn't hear the moans until it had fallen to below $500. AAPL is a pump and dump stock on steroids, for proof is that analyst still holding his shares? How did he manage to just wake up one day and say "Oops, I better revise that down to $888.88"? AAPL also confounded the talking heads when it closed on a Friday in December a exactly $500.00 because, what were hey going to talk about on Monday, since Apple stock wasn't above OR below $500 which is the all-important go to fill in for a few minutes of talking head time blah blah blah ad nauseum.
And all those people who held on are lashing out at BBRY, how dare they try to regain their status. Don't they know about Apple TV, and that AAPL has $137 billion stashed overseas that they refuse to repatriate because that would mean paying taxes, after all it's just the little guy who pays taxes.
You can buy 1 share of AAPL or 28 shares of BBRY. Which one will double from it's current level? Which one will increase dramatically from the upcoming short squeeze of 164 million shares (33% of the float)? Those shares of BBRY HAVE TO be bought back, more shares of AAPL do not have to be purchased. If you did get in AAPL at $650 and bought more today at $413, your average cost is now $531.50 just to break even. Soon you'll hear more lofty targets and those "analysts" will then be selling after making some more money because AAPL is no longer a growth stock. it pays less than 3% dividend, and Steve Jobs ain't coming back.

 

LOL.  I thought I saw it all.  Now some loser pumping Blackberry here. LOL. 

 

Go home son.

Try harder.

LOL. Funniest is when he says having 33% short interest in BBRY is a good thing. LOL.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Investment banks see 50 million iPhones sold in Q4, $1,111 target for AAPL shares