or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google's Nexus 7 outsells Apple's iPad in Japan over holidays

Google's Nexus 7 outsells Apple's iPad in Japan over holidays - Page 4

post #121 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I am tired of these arguments. The installed base of iOS is about the same as Android, and a lot of old Android devices are not useful for apps. Hence the difference - however revenue on the Google Play is growing faster than revenue on the App Store, something which can only continue. Eventually if Apple is less than 20% of the market, it will have lower mindshare amongst devs, and your argument in the next year or so  will be "so what if it is 5% of the market and 5% of the downloads: it can still survive on 10% of the profits". 

Don't get caught up in percentages... the market itself is expanding.

And the more the market expands... there will be more cheap Android phones that don't run apps very well... and more people who use their Android phone like a simple featurephone.

You're right... it's better to focus on actual number of devices/users. But even then... there will still be people who are using not-so-powerful phones who don't care about apps.
post #122 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

.... So where exactly is Apple trending down?

AAPL Stock... bought it on it's way down at $600, bad decision...  won't get another share unless it's $400

post #123 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post

Came to the quote:

"No one comes out and says this crap about Samsung, Google, Nokia, RIM, Microsoft or any other big name in technology. It’s all Apple, all the time."

Really?

Is it worth reading further? Because right now the article is on "rant" on my value meter.

Oh, and then this jewel:

"How can a company with so few products be such a behemoth?"

Answer: produce cheap, hype, hype, hype, sell expensive, repeat.

But wait a minute - Behemoth? in what sense? ahaa, perceived value.

All in all - laughable.

Hey, welcome back, don't think we didn't miss you. How's tricks over there? You still working for that Sammy outfit? Now there's a behemoth . . .
post #124 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Rolls-Royce is a german company making german cars. Of course, you'll tell me that Lamborghini is a german company too, but they still make Italian cars and that shows. That just to say, I hate the current Rolls-Royce lineup, it looks like some ugly sort of fat Mercedes cars.

I however agree with your base reasoning, Apple should cater to their customers, which are the top of the consumer triangle, the "(comparatively) few with lots of money". I don't mean "bring the iPhone to 3000$ a piece", but "keep the production standards high".

Which is why the Nexus is currently a better tablet than the iPad Mini, and why iPad Mini Retina will be a better tablet than iPad Mini and Nexus.

Rolls-Royce is actually a British company making ultra-elite British luxury cars which is now owned by a German company, but anyway...

There have been numerous comparisons between the iPad Mini and Nexus 7. They both have strength and weaknesses. For those who keep harping that the Nexus 7 is better or superior or whatever you want to call it, I'll quickly point out a few areas that make the Mini a better deal, even at a much higher price. Keep in mind, for many buyers, this is probably why the Mini does and will outsell every other small tablet...

1) Screen real-estate: Nobody can argue that the Mini has more of it, and when it comes to small-ish tablets, you want all you can get.

2) Weight: You get more usable screen real-estate with less weight. Who wouldn't want that?

3) Battery life: (this could probably be #1) The iPad Mini has superior battery life. It's been proven time and time again.

4) Cameras: The Mini has 2 of them, and they're both pretty decent. The Nexus only has front-facing.

5) iPad apps: Nobody can argue the momentum iPad as generated in iPad-specific apps, and they're a far cry better than over-blown phone apps that you'll usually find for most Android tablets.

For most buyers, pixel density won't be as important as usable screen size. I've owned each iPad up to the 3rd Generation 16GB cellular model. I bought a 16GB cellular model Mini after they came out, and found the screen to be quite acceptable. It isn't Retina quality, but I don't NEED it. After all, the Mini has the same resolution as the iPad 2, and I had no problems with that. So, when I found someone on Craigslist wanting to trade a new Mini 32GB cellular model for a full-size iPad, I happily traded him even-up. He was happy with 16GB vs. 32GB, since the pixel density is what he was after. He does a lot of reading on the iPad for work/classes, and the Retina display is what he was really after. I like the portability of the Mini better, so that works for me and my other half. The only complaint I've heard so far about the Mini was it's just smaller. Otherwise, no complaints. Admittedly, he uses the iPad more than I do, so that's the test. Plus, I plan to use the Mini with the TomTom app when taking a trip, which will be much nicer than using it on my iPhone, and it won't look hideous while doing so compared to a full-size iPad hanging on my dash (not that I've tried that).

Back to the topic of this article: Obviously Apple stores weren't surveyed, especially since they don't sell the Nexus 7. As others have mentioned, online sales were most likely not factored in, either.

Every time some no-name "statistics firm" comes out with numbers... well, do they even matter? I could start a poll on Facebook tomorrow and post numbers. The results of that poll don't mean squat. Apple isn't shy about posting SALES numbers, while the most we usually hear from OEMs are numbers of units SHIPPED. If they're sitting on a store shelf somewhere, that doesn't count. I'm not saying the Nexus doesn't sell. I'm sure it sells well, but when a no-name firm tries getting attention by posting uneven poll numbers, they should be swept under the rug where they belong.

As always, time will tell when the real SALES numbers are finally released, provided Asus/Google actually post them for Japan. In the end, an article like this doesn't even deserve mention on ANY credible website. Are you listening, AppleInsider (and many others)? Stop feeding the trolls.  

post #125 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

I think I can help.  Today's tech reporting is awful.

Most reporters were quoting a Chitika ad impressions report that said, "the overall Web traffic distribution between iOS and Android. iOS’s share has hovered around 65%, while Android largely has stayed around 35%,"

However, as usual, nobody bothered to actually read that report.  They just put up typical clickbait headlines like, "IOS USERS BROWSE WEB TWICE AS MUCH AS ANDROID USERS".    Then everybody and their brother came up with explanations for what was considered very puzzling news.

Okay, now besides the obvious irony that anyone would brag that iOS users saw twice as many ads (that's what the report is about, after all) as Android users, they also failed to read the fine print.

Ready?  Here it is:  "While third-party and our own observations have pegged smartphone Web traffic share as a near-tie, Apple has a decided advantage in the tablet market, where its iPad is unquestionably the hottest seller in the sector.  This advantage is the largest contributing factor to Apple’s lead over Android."

--

We also know from other web stat sites, that iPad users browse about double the amount of phone users (of any OS).   In other words, almost 2 / 3 of iOS browsing is done by people on an iPad. 

The USA Android tablet count, on the other hand, includes a large group of Android based e-book readers, such as the Amazon Kindle Fire and B&N Nook.   In the USA, most  Android tablet users own one of those readers.   Actually quite a few Americans own BOTH iPads and Android based e-readers.   Which do you think they use for browsing?

So, perhaps the easiest answer is also the correct one:   if we look at just smartphones, Android and iOS users are comparable.   If we look at tablets, iOS users overwhelm everyone else for web browsing, especially since most of the Android tablets being counted into the calculations are really Android based e-Readers.

That's all.  No big mystery nor convoluted explanations necessary.   The iPad as a general use tablet simply outsells Android general use tablets.

Don't forget the dirt-cheap discount store (Big Lots, Kohl's, and many others) Android tablets that are easily had for under $100. I played around with a couple of them after Christmas, and I don't think I'd honestly advise anyone to buy one, no matter how cheap they are. But they count. They're fine for kids, but that's about it. Just make sure you teach your kids how to kill apps and free up resources. Those cheap things get painfully slow if you don't. Oh, and apps are through Amazon, not Google Play... 

post #126 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Your analogy is ridiculous. Apple iPhones use the same electricity as everyone else. They use the same mobile networks. Just how is low market share supposed to hurt them?

Yes, and Apple iPhones run the same applications as Windows Phones and Android. Proof: Angry Birds runs just right on all three systems.

/s

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #127 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post

AAPL Stock... bought it on it's way down at $600, bad decision...  won't get another share unless it's $400

If I was so lucky as to see "analysts" drive the price down to 400, oh, I would buy. Hell, yes.

post #128 of 147

According to this article (of course, buried in the last sentence), only 3.6 million tablets were sold in Japan in all of 2012. Perhaps it isn't a very representative market at all.

http://news.yahoo.com/nexus-7-reportedly-dethrones-ipad-top-tablet-japan-143016946.html

post #129 of 147

Who cares? Fanboys are offended, but who really cares.

post #130 of 147
since economy has been worst, people got lesson to learn something. they want high quality but cheaper device. google nexus 7 makes people satisfied in that way. if apple will continue to keep their high price, high quality strategy, they will lose in the end. people don't want to spend their hard cash for apple anymore. plus, iOS UI, devices by apple are not impressed anymore. they've been older and older. people don't feel impressive. I think that apple still has some kind of confidence by itself. but it won't be last. in my opinion, apple is done after Steve Jobs. Tim Cook can't make apple flying anymore.
Life is good to enjoy....
and Mac makes me more please....
Life is good to enjoy....
and Mac makes me more please....
post #131 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by archurban View Post

since economy has been worst, people got lesson to learn something. they want high quality but cheaper device. google nexus 7 makes people satisfied in that way. if apple will continue to keep their high price, high quality strategy, they will lose in the end. people don't want to spend their hard cash for apple anymore. plus, iOS UI, devices by apple are not impressed anymore. they've been older and older. people don't feel impressive. I think that apple still has some kind of confidence by itself. but it won't be last. in my opinion, apple is done after Steve Jobs. Tim Cook can't make apple flying anymore.

The US economy tanked in 2008 and barely came back in 2010. All Apple has done is have record setting qtrs during the recession.
post #132 of 147
Quote:

I know its a matter of opinion, but I've used the Nexus 7 a number of times and the more I use it the more inconsistencies I find with it. It can be very buggy with regular use and the OS UI looks like every other Android I've seen. I don't know why that seems "fresher" to some people here.

Its not much different from iOS especially since you have to still open their app launcher (which looks just like iOS's home screen) to find the apps you're looking for.

Not much "new" going on and it's a far cry from the iPad Mini experience. To put it plainly to people that don't get it, the Nexus 7 utilizes an oversized bloated phone OS, the iPad Mini utilizes a miniaturized compete tablet OS. That sums up the difference of the experience between the 2. On the iPad Mini you can enjoy rich full sized Tablet grade apps that look great on the smaller screen. On the Nexus 7 you experience Android phone apps stretched to 7 inches. Completely different experience and I think consumers will see that.

The Nexus 7 and iPad Mini are barely in the same league, and you truthfully get what you pay for.

post #133 of 147

Today a new Japanese article totally dismisses this Nexus 7 story.

In brief, it says that:

1) research by BCN is based on 2400 small shops (16% of all the electronic stores in Japan) which DO NOT include neither big chains (Yamada, BicCamera, Yodobashi, Kojima, Nojima) nor big online stores (Amazon, Apple Store), nor large discount department stores/warehouse stores (Aeon, Ito Yokado). Data don't even include the thousands of shops by SoftBank and KDDI - the only two telecom companies selling iPads and iPhones in the country;   

2) the research data refer to a time period when the new iPad and iPad mini were delivered only in very small numbers even to the big retailers; so, most of those 2400 small shops didn't even have them on stock;

3) during the first half on 2012, iPad market share was 61.1%, Asus' was 3.1%. In Q3 2012 Apple shipped 400.000 iPads to Japan; Asus shipped 40.000 Nexus. It's hard to believe that the situation totally reversed in only three months.

Relying on BCN data is like making a research at Toyota stores to see how many Honda they are selling. So, data by BCN are totally unreliable (BCN claims that Sharp's Aquos phone has been the top selling smartphone for six weeks this year. When compared with more extensive data, the Aquos phone didn't even make it to the top five).

If the writer of the original Japanese article wanted to be fair, he should not have titled his article "Nexus 7 outsells iPad", but "Nexus 7 outsells iPad in 2400 stores where new iPad models weren't in stock (and I have no idea of what happened in the other 12,600 stores around the country that had those new models)".

This new article of today also highlights how during the last few weeks there has been a lot of bad publicity for Apple on Japanese newspapers. After some check, the writer found that all anti-Apple news come from the same source: data from BCN being picked up by "Diamond" - a magazine that at every issue features dozens of pages of advertisement from Samsung, Panasonic and other Japanese makers, but not from Apple.

The writer offers a deep analysis on how an article on "Diamond" emphasizes how Apple products are not selling and production has been cut; but when you read in detail the data - and not the writer's remarks - on that very article, you can easily get to totally different conclusions.

He also underlines how sometime bad publicity also come from a total misunderstanding of a source, the way it happened when the WSJ picked-up a bad translation of a Nikkei article to claim that Apple was cutting iPhone 5 screen production in Japan.

It's a long, but very interesting article, if you can read Japanese:

http://bylines.news.yahoo.co.jp/masakazuhonda/20130119-00023120/

post #134 of 147

I have this tablet and it fking sucks. Should have saved money for the mini instead. Played w it in the apple stores a few times and I love it !!!

post #135 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatsuya View Post

Excellent post, thanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtacee1990 View Post

I have this tablet and it fking sucks. Should have saved money for the mini instead. Played w it in the apple stores a few times and I love it !!!

Certainly hope this is not how (the Japanese) people experience this tablet! A crying shame if you think you made the right decision only to come to the conclusion your purchase sucks and experience buyers remorse.

"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #136 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatsuya View Post

In brief, it says that:

1) research by BCN is based on 2400 small shops (16% of all the electronic stores in Japan) which DO NOT include neither big chains (Yamada, BicCamera, Yodobashi, Kojima, Nojima) nor big online stores (Amazon, Apple Store), nor large discount department stores/warehouse stores (Aeon, Ito Yokado). Data don't even include the thousands of shops by SoftBank and KDDI - the only two telecom companies selling iPads and iPhones in the country;   

2) the research data refer to a time period when the new iPad and iPad mini were delivered only in very small numbers even to the big retailers; so, most of those 2400 small shops didn't even have them on stock;

3) during the first half on 2012, iPad market share was 61.1%, Asus' was 3.1%. In Q3 2012 Apple shipped 400.000 iPads to Japan; Asus shipped 40.000 Nexus. It's hard to believe that the situation totally reversed in only three months.

Relying on BCN data is like making a research at Toyota stores to see how many Honda they are selling. So, data by BCN are totally unreliable (BCN claims that Sharp's Aquos phone has been the top selling smartphone for six weeks this year. When compared with more extensive data, the Aquos phone didn't even make it to the top five).
If the writer of the original Japanese article wanted to be fair, he should not have titled his article "Nexus 7 outsells iPad", but "Nexus 7 outsells iPad in 2400 stores where new iPad models weren't in stock (and I have no idea of what happened in the other 12,600 stores around the country that had those new models)".

This new article of today also highlights how during the last few weeks there has been a lot of bad publicity for Apple on Japanese newspapers. After some check, the writer found that all anti-Apple news come from the same source: data from BCN being picked up by "Diamond" - a magazine that at every issue features dozens of pages of advertisement from Samsung, Panasonic and other Japanese makers, but not from Apple.

The writer offers a deep analysis on how an article on "Diamond" emphasizes how Apple products are not selling and production has been cut; but when you read in detail the data - and not the writer's remarks - on that very article, you can easily get to totally different conclusions.

He also underlines how sometime bad publicity also come from a total misunderstanding of a source, the way it happened when the WSJ picked-up a bad translation of a Nikkei article to claim that Apple was cutting iPhone 5 screen production in Japan.

If only mainstream American media actually did their research before reprinting this story,
and causing another fear-based stock sell off.
post #137 of 147
Quote:

iOS UI, devices by apple are not impressed anymore. they've been older and older. people don't feel impressive.

^this. Beautiful but overpriced hardware, boring and aging iOS and ugly monster on top of it - iTunes, great idea, poor implementation. I want to have widgets on my iPad. I don't want to exchange photos between tablet and laptop through iCloud. I'm really impressed with Jelly Beans while iOS6 was ... Well, just like 5.. Or 4 ... Not much different from the one that I got on 1st and 2nd Gen Touch (both still alive btw).
post #138 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey View Post

Not much different from the one that I got on 1st and 2nd Gen Touch (both still alive btw).

Ooh goodie, so at least their hardware works for you !
post #139 of 147
Quote:

^this. Beautiful but overpriced hardware, boring and aging iOS and ugly monster on top of it - iTunes, great idea, poor implementation. I want to have widgets on my iPad. I don't want to exchange photos between tablet and laptop through iCloud. I'm really impressed with Jelly Beans while iOS6 was ... Well, just like 5.. Or 4 ... Not much different from the one that I got on 1st and 2nd Gen Touch (both still alive btw).

I truly love these boring, aging, poor, just like version x, not much different comments because I can't understand the rationale behind someone who wants a company to have no direction, focus, or ability to plan and build well so that they continually have to reinvent there UI because they get it right the first time. I marvel at how well Apple did with iOS pre-release that they have only built upon their foundations with very little scraping and starting from scratch. They done such a brilliant job that many of the frameworks and usability aspects have carried over to Mac OS X.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #140 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtacee1990 View Post

Give it to someone.

post #141 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I truly love these boring, aging, poor, just like version x, not much different comments because I can't understand the rationale behind someone who wants a company to have no direction, focus, or ability to plan and build well so that they continually have to reinvent there UI because they get it right the first time. I marvel at how well Apple did with iOS pre-release that they have only built upon their foundations with very little scraping and starting from scratch. They done such a brilliant job that many of the frameworks and usability aspects have carried over to Mac OS X.

Either Apple's done that or Apple's just so plain unable to evolve that they're doomed.

Obviously, it's the second option. /s

post #142 of 147
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post
Give it to someone.

He doesn't have anyone he hates that much.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #143 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Lol, tallest. He's your kind. He probably saw Nexus on a cover of magazine. Just read this.

"I have this tablet and it fking sucks. Should have saved money for the mini instead"

Nexus7 is $300 while Mini is 329$. I know, I played Santa for Christmas. Enen though I choose Mini, primary due to investment into iPad software and good value overall, N7 is comparable to the mini. So, that kid with No-Samsung logo can afford 300$ but needs to save $29 more for mini.1smile.gif
post #144 of 147
Quote:

Lol, tallest. He's your kind. He probably saw Nexus on a cover of magazine. Just read this.

"I have this tablet and it fking sucks. Should have saved money for the mini instead"

Nexus7 is $300 while Mini is 329$. I know, I played Santa for Christmas. Enen though I choose Mini, primary due to investment into iPad software and good value overall, N7 is comparable to the mini. So, that kid with No-Samsung logo can afford 300$ but needs to save $29 more for mini.1smile.gif

Agreed. If he had a nexus he'd be satisfied. If he had a Mini he'd be satisfied. He just doesn't have anything.

post #145 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He can send it to me, I have an art project going on I could use a few dozen good tablets for. And whatever you may think, it is a good tablet even without an Apple logo on it. Or is it the basic definition of a good device "has an Apple logo" for you?

post #146 of 147

So, just thought I'd add a post here after this report has confirmed to be bullshit. 

post #147 of 147
Quote:

I think you meant $200 on the Nexus7 didn't you? Even the latest 32 GB model with "retina" display can be had for under $270.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google's Nexus 7 outsells Apple's iPad in Japan over holidays