or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Apple to debut 4.8" 'iPhone Math' device alongside next-gen iPhone in June

Rumor: Apple to debut 4.8" 'iPhone Math' device alongside next-gen iPhone in June

post #1 of 198
The latest rumors out of Asia claim that Apple will launch three new smartphones in 2013, including a next-generation iPhone, a cheaper model handset and a surprise large-format device with a 4.8-inch screen tentatively dubbed the "iPhone Math."

Sales
Apple's current generation iPhone 5 may be joined by two new models in 2013.

Citing upstream supply chain sources, the China Times (via global investment news service BrightWire) reports that Apple will unveil the three iPhones at staggered launches throughout the year, with the first two being the next-generation iPhone and the 4.8-inch "phablet" device. These people claim a third model with a 12-megapixel camera will debut before the holiday season, though not much is known about the product at this time.

It should be noted that AppleInsider cannot vouch for the veracity of the sources' claims and offers the following information for purposes of discussion only.

Recent reports have that suggested Apple may debut a more affordable handset this year, but none have mentioned the so-called "iPhone Math," which the publication says will help the company stay competitive in light of rival manufacturers' phablet offerings. The rumor is another in a string of reports alleging a larger-screened iPhone may be on the way.

While details regarding the mystery device's specifications remain scarce, sources claim it will feature a large display measuring at least 4.8 inches diagonal, almost one inch larger than the current iPhone 5. Form-factor and screen resolution are unknown, though the so-called "iPhone Math" is said to boast an 8-megapixel camera with lenses built by Largan Precision. The Chinese firm has supposedly been tapped to supply some 8 million camera lenses for both the "iPhone 5S" and the "iPhone Math."

Component shipments for the two handsets, including touchscreen panels and cameras, will purportedly begin in March ahead of a late-April production timeline. Apple manufacturing partner Hon Hai, better known as Foxconn, will reportedly be responsible for assembling 90 percent of the orders.

The iPhone 5S claims are in line with analyst predictions regarding the production timeline of the iPhone 5 follow-up, with manufacturing expected to begin in March ahead of a launch in June or July.

A recent report from well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo noted that the next-generation iPhone will likely include a fingerprint scanner built into the home button. He also expects a more affordable iPhone range to debut in the third quarter of 2013. The new model will be similar in design to the iPhone 5 but will replace the expensive aluminum chassis with a polycarbonate version available in six different colorways.
post #2 of 198
The iPhone Math will be followed by iPhone History, iPhone Psych, iPhone Chem ...
post #3 of 198
Is iPhone "Math" the lost in translation version of iPhone "Max"? If so this will make those who want a monster-sized iPhone happy.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #4 of 198

Man, I guess I'll be waiting even longer to get a 4.2-4.5" phone from Apple. I find the 4" iPhone 5 small, and the 4.8" Android phones to be a bit too large.

post #5 of 198
That simply *has* to be a typo or a bad translation.
post #6 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Is iPhone "Math" the lost in translation version of iPhone "Max"? If so this will make those who want a monster-sized iPhone happy.

Makes far more sense than "Math", even as a code name it's a bad one.
post #7 of 198
iPhone Math is a good name because if they start releasing all these differ versions and sizes and colors, there are going to be so many numbers out there... Steve had it right, build a great product and the sales will take care of themselves. Let android fragment itself, don't try to copy it. It is like the late 80's again at Apple.
post #8 of 198
I presumed iPhone mini, maxi and magnum. Just like all the condom names adorning Android phones.
post #9 of 198
The iPhone Math doesn't add up.

1) The name makes no sense.

2) If they are going to release a less expensive iPhone you'd think they used the same displays, and OS and app ecosystems they current use. Like with the iPad mini.

Using the iPad (3)'s PPI, with the 960x480 resolution of the iPhone 4 you get a 4.37" display. With the 1136x640 resolution of the iPhone you get a 4.904" display.
Edited by SolipsismX - 1/20/13 at 6:54pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #10 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Maxwell View Post

iPhone Math is a good name because if they start releasing all these differ versions and sizes and colors, there are going to be so many numbers out there... Steve had it right, build a great product and the sales will take care of themselves. Let android fragment itself, don't try to copy it. It is like the late 80's again at Apple.

Letters with meaning.

iPhone X (the best iPhone, 5inch screen, expensive as sh*t, outsells all phablets combined)

iPhone (similar to today's iphone, with 4.2 screen, same price)

iPhone air ( 3.5 or 4inch screen, similar to same-generation iPod touch, cheaper)

Terminate previous iPhone models production.

New Dev tools and stronger ecosystem.

more market share

Profit

World domination.

post #11 of 198
will help the company stay competitive in light of rival manufacturers' phablet offerings.

When the people that write these rumors say things like that I can't pay much attention.
They don't follow other companies to stay competitive. Just saying.
And this cheap phone just won't die.
post #12 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota_Steve View Post

I presumed iPhone mini, maxi and magnum. Just like all the condom names adorning Android phones.

LOL. Stuffing a Big Android Phone full of specs in your pocket makes up for hardware deficiencies elsewhere....

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #13 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmatt View Post

Man, I guess I'll be waiting even longer to get a 4.2-4.5" phone from Apple. I find the 4" iPhone 5 small, and the 4.8" Android phones to be a bit too large.

It's just a rumor, Goldilocks.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #14 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

The iPhone Math will be followed by iPhone History, iPhone Psych, iPhone Chem ...

Don't know much about history
Don't know much biology
Don't know much about a science book
Don't know much about the french I took

Don't know much about geography
Don't know much trigonometry
Don't know much about algebra
Don't know what a slide rule is for

But I do know that one and one is two
And if this one could be with you
What a wonderful world this would be...

Thank-you Sam Cooke

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #15 of 198
Quote:

Good thought about bad translation of a math term.

Perhaps it actually is "iPhone Plus".

post #16 of 198
The loons are out today.
post #17 of 198

For trying to boost the stock price of your company...

there is a rumor for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While details regarding the mystery device's specifications remain scarce, sources claim it will feature a large display measuring at least 4.8 inches diagonal, almost one inch larger than the current iPhone 5. Form-factor and screen resolution are unknown, though the so-called "iPhone Math" is said to boast an 8-megapixel camera with lenses built by Largan Precision. The Chinese firm has supposedly been tapped to supply some 8 million camera lenses for both the "iPhone 5S" and the "iPhone Math."

That's it.

Edited by mac-user - 1/20/13 at 7:23pm
post #18 of 198
It should be noted that AppleInsider cannot vouch for the veracity of the sources' claims and offers the following information for purposes of discussion only.

You should post this same disclosure in all your other rumor articles.
post #19 of 198

They are releasing a calculator

post #20 of 198
A 640x1136 iPhone (same app res as iPhone 5) cut out of the iPad's retina display (264 PPI) would be just under 5" (significantly larger than 4.8). That would be the easiest to make, and would run current apps unmodified. It would be just like running an iPhone app (at 1x) on an iPad--except that iPads don't run the tall format when they do that.

So, if Apple had to, there's a good, developer-friendly solution.

But I think big screens are more hype and less useful in practice, for most people, and the hype will wear off. Android users would KILL for a full-powered 3 to 4 inch device, and that's a "choice" that nobody offers them. People want high-end power AND a small device. 4" is a great compromise size.

So I don't think "phablet" is a niche Apple needs to serve--not while the iPhone 5 is outselling all other phones and phablets already.

As for the "latest rumor out of Asia"... give me a break. People all of the world make stuff up. Why do people in Asia get all the attention for it? Here, I'm not in Asia, and I can make something up: I work in Cupertino and I saw someone with a 16" (or so) iOS device, clearly running iOS Mail. It was wrapped in rubber or plastic to hide the edges, and the guy was in a public park, not knowing someone was near enough to watch him test it. iPad Pro? The home button looked different: the square was solid white instead of an outline.

There. If only I lived in Asia, the world would use me as link bait! 1smile.gif
post #21 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

A 640x1136 iPhone (same app res as iPhone 5) cut out of the iPad's retina display (264 PPI) would be just under 5" (significantly larger than 4.8). That would be the easiest to make, and would run current apps unmodified. It would be just like running an iPhone app (at 1x) on an iPad--except that iPads don't run the tall format when they do that.

But I think big screens are more hype and less useful in practice, for most people, and the hype will wear off. Android users would KILL for a full-powered 3 to 4 inch device, and that's a "choice" that nobody offers them. People want high-end power AND a small device. 4" is a great compromise size.

So I don't think "phablet" is a niche Apple needs to serve--not while the iPhone 5 is outselling all other phones and phablets already.

As for the "latest rumor out of Asia"... give me a break. People all of the world make stuff up. Why do people in Asia get all the attention for it? Here, I'm not in Asia, and I can make something up: I work in Cupertino and I saw someone with a 16" (or so) iOS device, clearly running iOS Mail. It was wrapped in rubber or plastic to hide the edges, and the guy was in a public park, not knowing someone was near enough to watch him test it. iPad Pro? The home button looked different: the square was solid white instead of an outline.

Facts:

- There's a market with millions of monthly subscribers willing to pay 700$ just for a big screen.

- Apple provides the best hardware and the best ecosystem

- Apple could provide a much better 5" phone than anyone else

- Apple has the necessary resources.

What can go wrong?

-Nothing.

What's in it for Apple?

- Millions and Millions of new users per quarter that otherwise wouldn't buy an iPhone.

- More marketshare at the expense of rivals better costumers (those that buy one X, S3, note, Razr, etc).

So?

The rest is history...

post #22 of 198

I don't think it's such heresy for Apple to offer different screen sizes. Just because I personally think that a 13in screen is the "perfect" laptop screen size, I would never suggest that Apple only sell 13in laptops. There are plenty of people who see 15in as worth the extra weight/size and plenty of people who want the smallest one possible and love their 11in Airs. 

iOS apps are going to need to be designed for scaling. OSX apps have accommodated various sizes since the inception of the OS. 

There's no way they're launching it with the name iPhone Math though. 

post #23 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Facts:

- There's a market with millions of monthly subscribers willing to pay 700$ just for a big screen.

- Apple provides the best hardware and the best ecosystem

- Apple could provide a much better 5" phone than anyone else

- Apple has the necessary resources.

What can go wrong?

-Nothing.

What's in it for Apple?

- Millions and Millions of new users per quarter that otherwise wouldn't buy an iPhone.

- More marketshare at the expense of rivals better costumers (those that buy one X, S3, note, Razr, etc).

So?

The rest is history...

Assuming all the buyers of a larger format iPhone will be new customers, yes. If the iPhone customer number remains the same Apple will just have added a huge cost with no benefit. Maybe trying to figure out the potential earnings benefit / loss projections gave the alleged new pretender its name. 

post #24 of 198
iPhone math could indeed be a new machine with a tactile keyboard. Now don't get alarmed this would be a key board optimized for calculator duty more a than anything else. The one thing that sucks about calculator apps on iPhone is that the glass keyboard sucks for heavy duty data entry. It is great that I can get any sort of calculator app I want but their usefullness is greatly truncated by that glass keyboard.
post #25 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Letters with meaning.

iPhone X (the best iPhone, 5inch screen, expensive as sh*t, outsells all phablets combined)

iPhone (similar to today's iphone, with 4.2 screen, same price)

iPhone air ( 3.5 or 4inch screen, similar to same-generation iPod touch, cheaper)

Terminate previous iPhone models production.

New Dev tools and stronger ecosystem.

more market share

Profit

World domination.

Interesting ideas.

I especially like #6.

I'm not sure if this rumor has legs, but I will say I would not be surprised at all if this were to happen this year. Either way I'm still going to et a 5S when my contract expires this summer. I'm not interested in the 5 inch iPhone, and it will probably have a starting price as high as $300-400 on contract.

post #26 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Assuming all the buyers of a larger format iPhone will be new customers, yes. If the iPhone customer number remains the same Apple will just have added a huge cost with no benefit. Maybe trying to figure out the potential earnings benefit / loss projections gave the alleged new pretender its name. 

If they were ever to expand the iPhone lineup cannibalization would be inescapable.

But overall I think the device's market would expand. I personally think there are going to be different buyers for the Mini (budget minded people and parents buying for kids), the 5S (the average consumer), and the "Math" (the power user).

Of course there is a bit of overlap hence why there will be cannibalization of the Classic iPhone, but I think the expansion will be worth it for the brand.

post #27 of 198
Quote:

I thought you were serious about that last part the first time I read it! lol.gif

Don't worry I'm sure Digitimes will pick up your post and have a rumor about it ready for tomorrow.

post #28 of 198
iMath, iScience. iGynaecology? ieye sir?
An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #29 of 198

Gonna get out in front of this one: It's real.

It's cheaper, despite it not actually being cheaper since any carrier will still force data, it's bigger, despite the size being unusably large, and it'll have a stupid, unbecoming, and uncharacteristic name. 

I buy the rumor, since we've heard it enough.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #30 of 198
OMG, Apple is going to release a calculator with a built-in cell phone. What will they think of next?
post #31 of 198
Maybe they mean the iPhone Meth.
post #32 of 198
Quote:

Yeah, I believe that more than the other excuses.  

post #33 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

If they were ever to expand the iPhone lineup cannibalization would be inescapable.

But overall I think the device's market would expand. I personally think there are going to be different buyers for the Mini (budget minded people and parents buying for kids), the 5S (the average consumer), and the "Math" (the power user).

Of course there is a bit of overlap hence why there will be cannibalization of the Classic iPhone, but I think the expansion will be worth it for the brand.

Cannibalization of the iPhone never really happened before. Although Apple never gives sales breakdowns by individual iPhone model... most estimates are that the current flagship model represents 85-90% of sales.

In other words... whenever there is a "good, better, best" lineup.... the "best" is the leader.

Right now the on-contract prices are $0, $100, $200... or off-contract $450, $550, $650. It will be interesting to see how much the new "big" iPhone will cost. Will it slide in at the same price as the iPhone 5 today?

Another thing to consider... this might be the perfect time to release a bigger (again) iPhone:

4.8" iPhone whatever
4.0" iPhone 5
3.5" iPhone 4S

That's a nice lineup right there 1cool.gif
post #34 of 198

Sorry, Apple, but you will never keep up to Samsung in the size game...

http://phandroid.com/2013/01/16/galaxy-note-3-exynos/

(... and I hope to hell you never try)

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #35 of 198

Bravo Apple, the long lost brother of Samsung, King of "innovation".

post #36 of 198

Apple has a history of making high quality, low cost products - eMac, iPod Nano, iBook. If they release a larger phone it would probably be a non-retina screen, and something similar to the iPad Mini.

post #37 of 198
Quote:

A 640x1136 iPhone (same app res as iPhone 5) cut out of the iPad's retina display (264 PPI) would be just under 5" (significantly larger than 4.8).

1) I already ran the numbers. It's only 0.1" larger than 4.8". I would say that is an insignificant difference.

2) I think you can shrink the UI more easily than you can enlarge it. For instance, the iPad mini is 1.8" smaller on the diagonal than the iPad and the UI is still highly functional. Could you increase the iPad's display to 11.5" and still have the UI be as usable going in the opposite direction? I'm not so sure you can. I think this works better going smaller than larger, which isn't to say that 4.904" inches isn't still within the range of being highly usable. I think mock up would be needed to truly know.
Edited by SolipsismX - 1/20/13 at 9:47pm

post #38 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingChael View Post

Bravo Apple, the long lost brother of Samsung, King of "innovation".

I think this post needs some clarification.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #39 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post

OMG, Apple is going to release a calculator with a built-in cell phone. What will they think of next?

But, but, but, but, but  It's a widget!!!!!!!

(Just using an Android user's thought process)

post #40 of 198
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
http://phandroid.com/2013/01/16/galaxy-note-3-exynos/
…Galaxy Note 3 reportedly will feature 6.3" display…

Oh, that's precious. And there's NO better way to finally make people say that enough truly is enough than to kill yourself via size. Oh, how I hope this is true.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Apple to debut 4.8" 'iPhone Math' device alongside next-gen iPhone in June