or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Apple to debut 4.8" 'iPhone Math' device alongside next-gen iPhone in June
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Apple to debut 4.8" 'iPhone Math' device alongside next-gen iPhone in June - Page 4

post #121 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post

Of course you can. They did it with the iPhone 5 and they did it with the iPad Mini. It's not at all out the realm for them to scale iOS to a 4.8 or 5" display. 


Or let me put it to you a better way, if they can't when Android can, guess who is going to lose in the long run? Because when I saw a non-geeky "female" co-worker with a Galaxy Note II last week that she just loves, it really proved to me that larger phones are selling because people do want them. Not everyone lives and breaths Apple. Even my own brand loyalty is starting to fade with all Apples patent BS and Android improvements going on.

No, they didn't. They increased the vertical pixels and as a result updated their UI to take advantage of the new resolution and updated the SDK so that apps can be tailored to the new size. The iPad mini uses the same aspect ratio and resolution of the iPad 2. You cannot simply have disparate aspect ratios, resolutions and sizes on a touch-based, non-windowed OS and expect it to carry over with the same usability like with a windowed desktop OS. This is not something you can debate.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #122 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'd love to see a mockup of a Samsung Galaxy S phone with wheels and extendable handle like a carry on suitcase.



There's a pathetic 1'06'' video at that site as well
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #123 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


No, they didn't. They increased the vertical pixels and as a result updated their UI to take advantage of the new resolution and updated the SDK so that apps can be tailored to the new size. The iPad mini uses the same aspect ratio and resolution of the iPad 2. You cannot simply have disparate aspect ratios, resolutions and sizes on a touch-based, non-windowed OS and expect it to carry over with the same usability like with a windowed desktop OS. This is not something you can debate.


All I said originally was that there are different sizes of Macbooks, they should have different sizes of iPhones. I don't care how they do it. All I'm saying is they will figure out a way because if they don't they leave a portential market segment wide open to be filled only by Android and Windows Phone devices. 

Did anyone of us guess that to make a 4" iPhone they would just add another row of icons? I'm sure they can find some other nifty method that doesn't break their interface in order to reach 5".

post #124 of 198

I think that more important than a 'larger Iphone' is the customers desire for choice.  While some prefer a smaller Iphone for their needs  and convenience, others want a larger Iphone for a better gaming device. Bottom Line............Let the customer choose.  It's time for Apple to realize that a strategy of 1 iphone a year is not enough.

Customers would probably be willing to pay more for a high end iphone. In reading alot of these posts about  wanting a larger Iphone, nobody complained about the ecosysytem, price  or anything other than size.

 

Apple has to give the customer choice in their type iphone, not only choice of color.

post #125 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post



There's a pathetic 1'06'' video at that site as well

Note the worst thing I've seen. It's not a bad place to put a tablet but I think having it on the handlebars so you can look down at the GPS data might be more beneficial.


PS: I don't understand how money that is spent on these promotional gimmicks will help turn a profit. Yesterday I saw a video of an Aston Martin being helicoptered* up to the helipad of the Burj al Arab hotel (the one that looks like a sail) in Dubai.


* I was surprised to find that spellcheck doesn't have a problem with helicoptered.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #126 of 198
I have to admit to being somewhat baffled as to the direction of smartphone sizes. In my mind, maintaining a small form factor seems like the logical direction. IMO, I feel Apple's iPhone 5 struck a balance with respect to screen size and the overall size of the phone - I upgraded from a 3GS so the difference is very apparent to me.

That being said, there does appear to be interest in larger screens despite the need to carry around a larger device. I've had random people tell me that they like the larger sized screens, however I suspect that lower prices of some of these phablets has a lot to do with their apparent popularity. There's no way of knowing what Apple would do for pricing such a device - although larger, actual component cost might actually be less (i.e. cost of miniaturization). Assuming, however, that Apple charges more for the larger screen, perhaps justifying the premium price for say very thin design or some other feature, and sales of the larger screen outsell the current iPhone 5 sized screen, then I think it's safe to say that the apparent demand for larger screened devices is in fact real and not just because they are cheaper. I assume one could (and probably have) make said assessment now within the Android market assuming price/feature sets between the two devices are comparable. However in doing so, I think one also needs to factor in what the actual up cost to a higher featured phone is, if one is free and you get a lot more for say >$100 for a two year contract, then for many it might be small thing, but if the cost of the low-end device is already ~$400 every additional dollar for the additional features carries great consideration than the example above. If it's not apparent above, I'm only vaguely familiar with the costs and features of Android phones.
post #127 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post


All I said originally was that there are different sizes of Macbooks, they should have different sizes of iPhones. I don't care how they do it. All I'm saying is they will figure out a way because if they don't they leave a portential market segment wide open to be filled only by Android and Windows Phone devices. 


Did anyone of us guess that to make a 4" iPhone they would just add another row of icons? I'm sure they can find some other nifty method that doesn't break their interface in order to reach 5".

Some layouts are friendly to multiple sizings, but many apps might need to be adapted to more pixels. A layout that's optimal for the larger, higher pixel screens might need to drop something to fit to the older, smaller screen devices.

Personally, I would be OK with a slight reduction in ppi, buttons on the iPhone are pretty tiny in my opinion.
post #128 of 198
Could this be translation error and this represents the iPhone Max (aka opposite of Mini)?
post #129 of 198
I counted about 3 people in this comment section that have any understanding whatsoever about Apple as a company. Consumer choice, offering a product because other companies do, developing / selling cheap (as in quality, not price) items, or having an extensive set of options / configurations for products are all in the "Apple doesn't do that" bucket of useless predictions.

It will always remain possible for Apple to offer products of any type, but it's based purely on whether they feel like they can deliver an exceptional product with a healthy margin.
post #130 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

And your not in the spelling business. Spell Check if you please.

You mean "you're"?

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

Reply

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

Reply
post #131 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX 
I'd love to see a mockup of a Samsung Galaxy S phone with wheels and extendable handle like a carry on suitcase.

Like this?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePi 
They don't just have one size of Macbook. They shouldn't have just one size of iPhone.

You don't operate a Macbok screen with your thumb though. Why would they go to all the bother of describing that they designed the iPhone around your hand to then just say to hell with it, let's make it wider?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePi 
Because when I saw a non-geeky "female" co-worker with a Galaxy Note II last week that she just loves, it really proved to me that larger phones are selling because people do want them.

Is it solely because of the size or also because it has a stylus? Some people might like the idea of scribbling notes.

The sales also don't match the iPhone by a long shot:

http://thenextweb.com/asia/2012/11/26/absolutely-phabulous-samsungs-galaxy-note-ii-passes-5m-channel-sales-adding-3m-in-24-days/

At best it's 2.5m per month so 7.5m per quarter. Apple sold that many iPhone 5s in less than a week. In even a poor quarter, it would represent 1/3 of their sales and it wouldn't entirely be on top of the smaller iPhone sales.

I don't think anyone is denying that some people have bigger hands and some people like bigger devices, it's more that Apple doesn't have to accommodate the market. People are free to use Android phones or 17" Windows laptops or whatever other options they choose not to offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radnuker 
Could this be translation error and this represents the iPhone Max (aka opposite of Mini)?

It can't really be a mistranslation as the source says Math, it would be called that everywhere as it's the name of the product. The Samsung Galaxy is the Galaxy everywhere. It's one of those examples of rumours where they either want to put out something confusing to get people talking about it (which seems to have worked) - usually this is to affect the stock price - or it's one of those examples where Apple is trying to flush out the source of leaks.
post #132 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You don't operate a Macbok screen with your thumb though. Why would they go to all the bother of describing that they designed the iPhone around your hand to then just say to hell with it, let's make it wider?

 

 

And Apple has never gone back on what it says? Remember when the 9.7" iPad was the perfect size and anything smaller would require filing our fingers down? 

Plus I really don't see most Android users complaining about their 4.3-4.8" screens even if they are using more than one hand. They could have bought an iPhone right? But they didn't. 




  

post #133 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post


The main difference is you can not operate the 4.6" Display Galaxy Nexus with one hand.  Could you?

 

Yes, I have a big paw.....

 

However, rarely need to operate it with one hand....

post #134 of 198

I can't believe people are still arguing about size. :P

 

All the riots about iPad Mini blah, blah.  It happened.

 

I think you just look at the iPod market (Yes, 'iPod' market) and see how Apple cornered the market and sucked the oxygen out the room.

 

I think they're going to have to do the same here.

 

iPods.  iPads.  Macs come in a variety of sizes.

 

I think the minimum for the iPhone range is two sizes.  Three to four would be ideal.

 

Current 4 inch.  Turned into 'Nano' with even slimmer design.  Becomes iPhone 5s.

 

Maxi.  5 inch.  With 'hi def' screen.  You've got it pretty much covered there.  iPhone 6 +/Maxi/Magnum blah.

 

Cheap (er) plastic model of current '5' in a variety of colours.  Go after the iPod teen market...  Phones for kids/teens is becoming/has become a massive market.  I can't see why it's taken Apple this long to replicate their iPod template.

 

They've screwed the pooch on iPhone profit.  If they want the market share they had with iPod...they're going to have to offer different products for different people and budgets.  They did it with supreme power with the iPod from classic to Shuffle.  Different prices, different products but all Apple quality.  Whatever Apple makes will be quality.  But there is a market for a cheaper pay phone and a market for larger phones.  I don't see why Apple can't be there.

 

Add a phone chip to the iPod design and you have a great phone for children to teens to young adults.  It's a great design.  Better even than the iPhone.  And it's already in colours...

 

They can even go for a blue tooth or iPhone 'shuffle' siri controlled product for less than a hundred.

 

It's up to Apple.  And while they may take a dip on overall margins...they'd make it back indirectly in marketshare and app store sales etc.

 

If they want to really turn their guns on Samsung...it's up to them.

 

I think they can wipe the floor with them.  

 

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #135 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


The trouble with that is, it doesn't end. If Apple did make a 4.5" device, some people would still say it's not big enough and it needs to be 5". People do come in all shapes and sizes but toilet bowls tend to be roughly the same size. It's inconvenient for some but it's not practical to make different sizes for everyone and people deal with it. If the volume of customers who prefer a larger phone (not people who just buy a larger phone because it happens to be the newest model) is significant, it makes sense. If Apple has sold a significant amount of iPhone 5s this quarter then they don't have to worry.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/smartphones/1292644/samsung-galaxy-s3

"Too big to be a 'phone'
As great as this device is, if it's not comfortable to use in one hand for the majority of users, then it is not a phone, it's a tablet with phone functionality.

For me personally, i'll be sticking with the SG2 until they start making reasonably sized smart phones again.

I've just upgraded to the extended battery for the SG2 which is only 100mAh less than the SG3 battery but lasts longer due to the smaller screen size.

And despite having 2 less cores, the SG2 is still fast enough for all my daily smart phone needs (it never stopped being fast enough).

I hope Samsung release another 4'3 inch model next year as anything over this screen size is too big for me."

"Stupid size for a phone
We don't need phones that are this big, it's just getting ridiculous. I guarantee that the instructions tell you to take this out of your pocket when you sit down... why should having your phone in your pocket be a risk? How long before these things come with a free backpack, to carry them in?"


 


I find the 4.5" to 5" to be ideal for me....  Several people bought new phones at my work place recently..  All but one got an android phone.  I asked why.  All of them said that they perfered the larger screen on the Android phones.  I honestly think Apple is losing phone sales over this....

 

However, I agree that you can make them too big.   For example, after owning the mini iPad for a while, I now think the original iPad is too big.  Of course, before I got the mini, I thought it was just fine...

 

My original Droid (the need to use Verizon is why I started with Android in the first place) has a 3.5" screen and I though it was fine.  However, after using the galaxy for a few weeks, I found the smaller screen on the old Droid to be too small (the wife still uses it and does not want to upgrade however...)

 

I guess my point is that you really do not know what you will prefer until you live with it for a while......


Edited by sranger - 1/21/13 at 6:00pm
post #136 of 198

Nobody with a straight face can argue against a 5 inch iPhone when Apple expects you to get one hand around an 8 inch iPad mini.

 

Apple are sitting on 125 - 150 Billion.

 

it's up to them to innovate.

 

They did a great job last year.

 

But their biggest problem is that they sat on the '4' design for a year with the 's'.  

 

Samsung captured some imagination share with the Apple derived S3 design.  Aped and bigger.  But with the crap Android...(and I swear to god if anyone tells me how good Android is...  I've played with the S3 and Android in a store.  It's crap.  It's plastic.  It's hard to use.   It's mediocre.  It's creaky...  The icons are bitty and shoddy.)

 

The iPad mini is gorgeous.  Shrink it to 5 inches and you have your iPhone 6 max.  

 

A tear drop or svelte version of the iPad mini/iPod design at 5+ will destroy...

 

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #137 of 198

The problem is that people are now using smart phones for more than phone calls.

 

All that other 'smart' stuff you DO need a slightly bigger screen on.  5-ish for a 'smart' phone is the sweet spot maybe.

 

I have the iPhone 5.  It's great for one hand use.  But when you start doing Internet stuff...it's just a touch 'too' small.

 

When iPhone launched...they were were the 'big' screen boys.  No mech' keyboard.  It's ironic they've been over taken in that respect in light of the fact that Steve jobs mocked their screen size.

 

Apple have the best phone and tablets.  No question.  Jewels both.  Best design.  Best OS.  Best synergy and eco system.

 

But they need to press their reputation for high fashion.  The did it with the iMacs.  They did it with the iPods.

 

They can replicate that here.  They showed they mean business in the tablet game.

 

One size doesn't fit all in the pHone wars I don't think.  Just like it didn't in the mp3 player or computer market.  

 

Another point or the same point.  I'm now using my iPhone as a computer more than I do as a phone.  Because it's 'smart'.  When the iphone was released perhaps people used it more for phone 1st...and then the odd bit of smart.  If I'm any example...that's changed.  That's the irony of the potential users they've lost to S3 and Samesung.  Apple really should have got here before Samesung.

 

There qrowth hasn't peaked though.  Perhaps they've timed it just about right to release a bigger 'phone' (...'smart' phone.)

 

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #138 of 198

I do and don't have a problem with the evolutionary design of the iPhone.

 

...on one hand they refine a great product.  People KNOW how to use it...and what to expect.  It's the familiar...

 

...however...

 

...(and yes...they've probably sold 35 million plus iPhones this quarter...)

 

...but what about that dramatic Apple zeitgeist...?

 

You know...when they released the original iPod Nano.  Breathtaking it was.

 

...there were rumours of that 'tear drop' design for original 'iPhone 5' that became the same '4' design with an S.  

 

With IVe in charge of hardware and interface pretty much...

 

...will Apple really cut loose this year?

 

Lemon Bon Bon. :)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #139 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post

 

And Apple has never gone back on what it says? Remember when the 9.7" iPad was the perfect size and anything smaller would require filing our fingers down? 

Plus I really don't see most Android users complaining about their 4.3-4.8" screens even if they are using more than one hand. They could have bought an iPhone right? But they didn't. 




  

Exactly, Steve Jobs gave us disinformation about key products for years.

 

And the iPhone was chief amongst them.  What did Apple end up making?  A phone.  An mp3 player before that.

 

Never saw that coming after the bondi iMac...

 

I've seen a lot of S3 phones in the wild.  Not as many Iphone 5s I'm afraid to say.

 

And yes, 'size' matters.  (If not, why did Apple boast about screen size on the original iPhone?)  it's the chief reason for a lot of people going S3.

 

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #140 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

 

Yes, I have a big paw.....

 

However, rarely need to operate it with one hand....

 

All this operate with one hand.

 

If I'm holding it with my left hand...I have my thumb to navigate?

 

Sorry.  I use 'two' hands on the iPhone 5.  To do all the 'smart' features.  eg to type.  I can't type with my thumb and hold it at the same time.  To answer a call?  Yes.  But the smart stuff?  To email.  To hold the phone and pinch a photo wider etc.  What I'd like is more room to 'see' those smart features.  I think an extra inch in height would cover it...and an extra inch wide.  And that's the crux.  Apple should see it's 'smart first' and phone 2nd.  It's very ironic.  At least it's that way for me.

 

And...lose some of the black border.  Hell, lose the home button, do they really need that now?  Swipe to open...swipe to unlock.  Easy?

 

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #141 of 198
Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post
Remember when the 9.7" iPad was the perfect size and anything smaller would require filing our fingers down? 

 

No, because that was never said.


Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Current 4 inch.  Turned into 'Nano' with even slimmer design.  Becomes iPhone 5s.

Maxi.  5 inch.  With 'hi def' screen.  You've got it pretty much covered there.  iPhone 6 +/Maxi/Magnum blah.

 

Ludicrous. These're phones. Take the phone part out first; then other sizes can come into the discussion.


Originally Posted by sranger View Post

However, I agree that you can make them too big.   For example, after owning the mini iPad for a while, I now think the original iPad is too big.  Of course, before I got the mini, I thought it was just fine...

 

After owning the iPad for almost three years, it's too small. When I got it, I thought it was just fine. It needs to be bigger. I want to do more, not less. And I want to actually be able to see what I'm doing.

post #142 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

After owning the iPad for almost three years, it's too small. When I got it, I thought it was just fine. It needs to be bigger. I want to do more, not less. And I want to actually be able to see what I'm doing.

 

Out of curiosity, what can you do with the iPad that you cannot do with the Mini????

 

P.S, I am 48 and have bad eye sight.  I can see the Mini Just fine....

 

I guess this kind of drives my point home.... Different people refer different sized devices....  I honestly think a larger iPhone would lead to more iPhone sales.  In fact I suspect that a 4.5-5" iPhone would actually out sell the 3.5" - 4" version....

 

If Apple releases one, we will see.....

post #143 of 198
"iPhone "?
post #144 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, because that was never said.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0OFm9KBlJE&t=7m55s

Apple extensively tested the 9.7" size. Yet they still developed an iPad with a same interface on a smaller screen.

I think at this point anyone who debates that Appple won't make a larger iPhone is not looking at the past. You yourself Tallest Skil debated with me not all that long ago about Apple releasing a 4" iPhone 5. Yet they released a 4" iPhone 5.
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/143040/app-developers-forced-to-submit-retina-display-screenshots#post_2040412 

 

post #145 of 198

 

Still waiting for a link to where anyone from Apple said what you claimed.


I think at this point anyone who debates that Appple won't make a larger iPhone is not looking at the past.

 

"Apple will create a larger phone every year until 100% of the gross national product of every nation on the planet is dedicated to the creation of a single, penultimate iPhone. The following year, all human beings will sacrifice themselves and their planet to transmute enough of the material thereon to create an iPhone large enough to have its own gravity."

 

Sure, expando ad absurdum, but you see my point. It's crazy to expect this to keep happening.

post #146 of 198
At ApplePi and Lemon Bon Bon,

You're not thinking it through. You can't simply say "They multiple sizes of Macs" or "They have multiple sizes of iPods" and expect the same thing applies to a non-windowed, touch-based OS with an 3rd-party app ecosystem. You can look at just the iPad Nano to see they changed up the display size, aspect ratio, dot pitch, and/or resolution in nearly every revision. If you guys can't see how Apple tailoring the PixoOS UI of a simple device that has no developer support is different from iOS devices then I don't know what I could say to make you two look at the situation rationally.

Apple can and has changed the display size, aspect ratio, dot pitch, and resolution for CocoaTouch devices There are now 6 resolutions and 3 aspect ratios after 6 years on the market and each time it was done it was done systematically and carefully. The iPhone 5 has a new system UI to match that resolution. They did not simply stretch the UI so that 940 pixels works over 1136. This was planned and deliberate.

The iPhone 3G was severely lagging behind the competition in pixel density and resolution back in 2009 they stuck with it anyway because the double resolution displays weren't ready and you can't simply take CocoaTouch and apply it to a slightly denser packing of pixels, an odd resolution of your choice, and aspect ratio. The iPad, which is built with iOS and CocoaTouch, got a brand new UI design for that display. From end to end, from pixel to pixel it was designed for it and how one would interact with that display.

I really can't fathom how either of you can use the iPods or Mac lines as proof that CocoaTouch is some infinitely scalable OS that can change the display size, aspect ratio, dot pitch, and resolution YoY and can work with displays as widely as Mac OS X or Windows.
Edited by SolipsismX - 1/21/13 at 3:38pm

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #147 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

The tide has turned. I remember when people like me that thought a larger iPhone was a good idea were shouted down and ridiculed.

You were shot down for not making asinine and irrational comments regarding a larger display, not from the long accepted and reasonable notion that a larger display would appeal to a certain type of buyer.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #148 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The sales also don't match the iPhone by a long shot:

http://thenextweb.com/asia/2012/11/26/absolutely-phabulous-samsungs-galaxy-note-ii-passes-5m-channel-sales-adding-3m-in-24-days/

At best it's 2.5m per month so 7.5m per quarter. Apple sold that many iPhone 5s in less than a week. In even a poor quarter, it would represent 1/3 of their sales and it wouldn't entirely be on top of the smaller iPhone sales.

 

I would not look at the sales as 'don't match the iPhone by a long shot'. 7.5 million is a huge number. Note II is not the only expensive smartphone Samsung sells. The profit per Note II and S3 should be comparable to that on an iPhone.

post #149 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Apple has a history of making high quality, low cost products - eMac, iPod Nano, iBook. If they release a larger phone it would probably be a non-retina screen, and something similar to the iPad Mini.

 

Geez, I hope not. 

post #150 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Do you know what i love about that link?

 

Stupid fandroids say that all apple users are sheeps that always buy the latest model no matter what and they are ignorants (they are right, to some extent. Some iPhone users are like that).

I say the large majority of highend android phone buyers are stupid and ignorant, and I'm right. There's no logical reason to buy a galaxy s3, and it is by far the best selling android phone. They think their phones are more advanced (hardware wise) and fast/powerful and they know nothing about hardware/software combo and how that makes the iPhone much faster/powerful than any android device being used today.

 

Then you read the first coments of that page, and it is priceless and describes very well the majority of s3 and note users:

 

- I already have note 1 and 2, and i will definitely buy this one.

- Bigger screen? OMG... I don't like that, but i will still buy it (note 2 user).

 

That's the typical android user that buys highend android phones. Dumb, stupid, idiots, ignorants etc.

 

These are just the first posts.

Completely agree. Moved to the iphone5 from Android and I can testify this statement. People keep complaining Apple fanboys are sheep that will just buy anything from Apple. But we only buy from Apple and that's it, whereas they will buy ANYTHING new that promises no lag it's pathetic. I swear to god some of the guys on XDA own at least 5 phones and half of those are released in the same year. 

post #151 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

 

Yes, I have a big paw.....

 

However, rarely need to operate it with one hand....

Idk how you RARELY need to operate it w one hand because I operate it w one hand in SO MANY situations. I'm always thankful that I dumped my big ass Android phone then. 

post #152 of 198
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
Isn't it grand to live in a bubble where you think you are always the smartest person in the room even when you are quite far from it. Many people in the past were in favor of a larger screen besides me and you and several other prolific posters here always tried to shout them down as if it was the most ludicrous concept ever conceived by man. No one care about the PPI so give it a rest already. Apple has a lot of people far smarter than you and they will figure out a way to give us a larger iPhone that makes sense.

I don't know why you choose to be so surly and enjoy being so confrontational and condescending. Do me a favor and just ignore all my posts in the future and I will do the same for you. Arguing with an abrasive and intractable know-it-all who is never wrong  is tedious and unproductive. You are not short of enemies, so go bother them for a while. 

1) The irony of your post attacking me when I have only addressed your comments is confrontational, condescending and, above all, ironic.

2) I'm wrong every day of my life and well aware that I don't know everything, hence my frequent desire to ask questions (which you took offense to yesterday) and to research the shit out of everything. I understand my limitations enough to know that I can't make one isolated view and reach a absolute conclusion without any evidence or support to back up my position. Can you say the same?

3) I won't ignore you. If you post something absurd I will address it. If you attack me for questioning what you deem unquestionable then I will completely tear it to shreds. I suggest that you work a little harder next time so that your arguments aren't so easy to defeat. You can hate me for thinking rationally and you can continue to be emotional. I am certainly not to give you any special favours because you're upset. Create solutions, not problems.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #153 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelchu View Post

So do you think the money magically disappear because of the network subsides? It just a round about way coming out from your own pocket.

Nope, there's more than evidence, on this website and everywhere else, that people only look at the price they have to pay upfront. We are talking about people's psyche here, not money. The carrier subsides effectively hide the actual cost of the phone, thus refuting your argument about people not caring about the price increase.

Case in point, some time ago I complained about the price of an iPhone 3GS and was immediately greeted with "What? Isn't $0 cheap enough?".
post #154 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePi 
And Apple has never gone back on what it says? Remember when the 9.7" iPad was the perfect size and anything smaller would require filing our fingers down?

There's a bit of a difference between an off-the-cuff remark and actually making marketing videos showing that they designed the phone around the thumb navigation. They'd have to suggest that the bigger one doesn't work with the same setup or use someone with a bigger hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePi 
Plus I really don't see most Android users complaining about their 4.3-4.8" screens even if they are using more than one hand. They could have bought an iPhone right? But they didn't.

That works in reverse too though - most iPhone users aren't complaining about their purchases and they could have bought a Galaxy S3 but they didn't.

Here's what the iPhone 5 looks like with the screen scaled up to the size of the S3 - some of the components wouldn't scale up so it would be a bit shorter:



I don't think the big one offers enough to justify having two models and they think the way they are doing it is common sense:



it wouldn't be very logical to do something that isn't common sense. There are hand tests with the S3 here - the small hands have to move the whole phone just to get to some parts of the screen. They can all use it ok but it's clumsy:

post #155 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

it wouldn't be very logical to do something that isn't common sense. There are hand tests with the S3 here - the small hands have to move the whole phone just to get to some parts of the screen. They can all use it ok but it's clumsy:

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL2I02V-9Yo

Am I reading the results properly? The larger the hand the longer it took to complete? If so, then I would like to see how various hand sizes work with various sized phones from Android. It's not in any way conclusive as there are too many unknowns but I can't help but question now if a larger device many actually be more efficient for a smaller hand based on these results.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #156 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtacee1990 View Post

Idk how you RARELY need to operate it w one hand because I operate it w one hand in SO MANY situations. I'm always thankful that I dumped my big ass Android phone then. 

Not sure what your mean....???

I answer the phone with one hand often... ( including entering my PIN code)

I send a quick text with one hand often...

I read my emails with one hand often...

However when web surfing, watching videos, replying to emails ect... I typically use two hands because it is so much easier, however I did the same thing with my old 3.5" droid phone so I am not sure it is due to screen size, but more common sense....

I guess I just don't see the need to operate with one hand all that often... What are you doing while using your phone that renders the other hand unusable so often?

I also do not see why people think using a 4.5+" display with one hand is that much harder than using a 4" display with one hand especially if you have larger hands to start with. My thumb can easly reach the entire screen on my 4.6 " Nexus.... I can even pinch and zoom with my thumb and index finger on the etire screen area while cradeling the phone with ghe other three fingers. So what exactly Is the problem?
post #157 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Here's what the iPhone 5 looks like with the screen scaled up to the size of the S3

 

Which shows how crap the IP5 form factor is

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
post #158 of 198
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
No one cares about the PPI so give it a rest already.

 

You don't understand the argument. That's readily apparent.


Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
Different people have different needs and PREFERENCES.


The idea would be to go buy something else from some other company, then. If you're then a semi-objective "right" or part of a group of meaningful size, Apple will eventually cater to you.


Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post
Which shows how crap the IP5 form factor is

 

I'll bite (again). How? Because of the "huge bezel" and "stupid waste of space" of the components that actually have to be there?

 

You want the bezel to scale with the screen.

post #159 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Which shows how crap the IP5 form factor is

I'm not following your comment either. Are you saying the iPhone 5 as-is is crap or it would be crap to expand every up as shown in the image?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #160 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Apple can and has changed the display size, aspect ratio, dot pitch, and resolution for CocoaTouch devices There are now 6 resolutions and 3 aspect ratios after 6 years on the market and each time it was done it was done systematically and carefully. The iPhone 5 has a new system UI to match that resolution. They did not simply stretch the UI so that 940 pixels works over 1136. This was planned and deliberate.
 

What's wrong with going back to the original 1.5:1 aspect ratio of the iPhone 4S? 
Quadruple that resolution to 1920x1280 on a 5" screen. That's not impossible today. Sony just announced a 5" 1920x1080 Android phone and more are to follow this year. 

1920x1080 @ 5" = 440 PPI
1920x1280 @ 5" = 461 PPI

Appe already quadrupled the resolution from the iPhone 3GS to the iPhone 4. Why can't they do that again going to a 5" screen? The math works out, the ratios stay the same, which means the apps don't need to change unless they want to take advantage of the higher resolution. Otherwise they just get blown up the way they did for the iPhone 4 originally.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Apple to debut 4.8" 'iPhone Math' device alongside next-gen iPhone in June