or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Apple to debut 4.8" 'iPhone Math' device alongside next-gen iPhone in June

Rumor: Apple to debut 4.8" 'iPhone Math' device alongside next-gen iPhone in June - Page 2

post #41 of 198
If there is a stupid device called the iPhone Math I think we should all call it the πPhone. Maybe it's really a 3.14" phone.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #42 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Cannibalization of the iPhone never really happened before. Although Apple never gives sales breakdowns by individual iPhone model... most estimates are that the current flagship model represents 85-90% of sales.

In other words... whenever there is a "good, better, best" lineup.... the "best" is the leader.

Right now the on-contract prices are $0, $100, $200... or off-contract $450, $550, $650. It will be interesting to see how much the new "big" iPhone will cost. Will it slide in at the same price as the iPhone 5 today?

Another thing to consider... this might be the perfect time to release a bigger (again) iPhone:

4.8" iPhone whatever
4.0" iPhone 5
3.5" iPhone 4S

That's a nice lineup right there 1cool.gif

That would be a solid lineup 1biggrin.gif

The only reason the cheaper iPhones don't have a high penetration now is because they're old 1wink.gif

If Apple had an all new product on the bottom we'd see a whole different picture.

Probably a scenario close to that of the iPad Mini and iPod Nano. Honestly I don't think Apple wants to cut the profits of their flagship product so they'll probably tread very carefully on the low end.

On the high end if Apple made a larger more expensive iPhone I think a lot of people would buy that instead of the classic iPhone.

Apple may prefer that though if they can get higher margins (ie higher profit) per sale of iPhone "Maths".

Anyway I agree now is the perfect time to add new iPhone models. Not too soon and far from too late.
Edited by blackbook - 1/20/13 at 10:00pm
post #43 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If there is a stupid device called the iPhone Math I think we should all call it the πPhone. Maybe it's really a 3.14" phone.
1smile.gif it will be circular!
post #44 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Maxwell View Post

iPhone Math is a good name because if they start releasing all these differ versions and sizes and colors, there are going to be so many numbers out there... Steve had it right, build a great product and the sales will take care of themselves. Let android fragment itself, don't try to copy it. It is like the late 80's again at Apple.

It's 'like the 80's again Apple' because of some shitty, unsubstantiated rumor with no basis in reality? I love how often people like you bash Apple bcause of things that exist only in fiction. Here, I'll give you another rumor: Apple will go out of business next month. Well, guess they had a good run eh? 

post #45 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Apple has a history of making high quality, low cost products - eMac, iPod Nano, iBook. If they release a larger phone it would probably be a non-retina screen, and something similar to the iPad Mini.

No. If a larger iPhone comes out it will be more expensive than the classic model. If a smaller model comes out it will be cheaper than the classic model.

That's just how it goes. You're not gonna see larger and cheaper. That's not Apple's M.O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Maybe they mean the iPhone Meth.

1biggrin.gif

I believe that
post #46 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

1smile.gif it will be circular!

Puck shaped.

The iPhuck

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #47 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Sorry, Apple, but you will never keep up to Samsung in the size game...

http://phandroid.com/2013/01/16/galaxy-note-3-exynos/

(... and I hope to hell you never try)

Do you know what i love about that link?

Stupid fandroids say that all apple users are sheeps that always buy the latest model no matter what and they are ignorants (they are right, to some extent. Some iPhone users are like that).

I say the large majority of highend android phone buyers are stupid and ignorant, and I'm right. There's no logical reason to buy a galaxy s3, and it is by far the best selling android phone. They think their phones are more advanced (hardware wise) and fast/powerful and they know nothing about hardware/software combo and how that makes the iPhone much faster/powerful than any android device being used today.

Then you read the first coments of that page, and it is priceless and describes very well the majority of s3 and note users:

- I already have note 1 and 2, and i will definitely buy this one.

- Bigger screen? OMG... I don't like that, but i will still buy it (note 2 user).

That's the typical android user that buys highend android phones. Dumb, stupid, idiots, ignorants etc.

These are just the first posts.

post #48 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

4.8" iPhone whatever
4.0" iPhone 5
3.5" iPhone 4S

That's a nice lineup right there 1cool.gif

no no no no. 

That's the reason the new model sells 90%. The others, no matter how good, are 1 year old +.

People (especially PAYG users but even contract users) do not like that. They cost almost the same as the new one but they are old.

If 10 people are looking for a cheaper model, the majority won't pay more for the new phone, they will buy something that's new and costs less, even if it's worse... if not, they wouldn't be looking for something cheaper first.

New models (even with inferior hardware.. same hardware.. but NEW) will sell much better.

Apple is losing millions of potential costumers because of this.

If someone is going to spent 500 euros on a phone, will they buy the iphone 4 (that's what it costs)? Of course not. If someone pays 80$ per month and the iPhone 5 costs 199 but they are looking for something cheaper, will they settle for 1 or 2 or even 3 year old phones? of course not, at least for the majority.

If Apple wants more marketshare, they must produce NEW models. (that's the mentality of most costumers).

Edited by pedromartins - 1/20/13 at 10:08pm
post #49 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I hope this rumor is true, a 4.8" iPhone is exactly what I have been waiting for. I'm sure they got the name wrong though. This will be hugely popular and I am betting will easily outsell a smaller version.

Won't you be upset if it has a 1136x640 display? What if it doesn't have an SD card slot, slide out keyboard, mini-USB, or micro-HDMi?

post #50 of 198
I predict that the "Math" moniker will lead to increased sales in the Asian market. :P
post #51 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

I predict that the "Math" moniker will lead to increased sales in the Asian market. :P

post #52 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

no no no no. 

That's the reason the new model sells 90%. The others, no matter how good, are 1 year old +.
People (especially PAYG users but even contract users) do not like that. They cost almost the same as the new one but they are old.

If 10 people are looking for a cheaper model, the majority won't pay more for the new phone, they will buy something that's new and costs less, even if it's worse... if not, they wouldn't be looking for something cheaper first.

New models (even with inferior hardware.. same hardware.. but NEW) will sell much better.

If someone is going to spent 500 euros on a phone, will they buy the iphone 4 (that's what it costs)? Of course not. If someone pays 80$ per month and the iPhone 5 costs 199 but they are looking for something cheaper, will they settle for 1 or 2 or even 3 year old phones? of course not, at least for the majority.

If Apple wants more marketshare, they must produce NEW models. (that's the mentality of most costumers).

Well yeah... I didn't say why the newest iPhone is the best selling in the lineup. I just said that it was.

You're right... it is because the cheaper models are "old"

I never mentioned anything about attracting other customers. But you're right. If Apple wants to gain market share or sell to a more diverse group of people... then yeah.... they have to make new phones that are also more affordable.

But that's not what I was talking about originally. Good point, though 1wink.gif
post #53 of 198
Quote:

Nope and never requested any of those things. You are the DPI queen with all those useless calculations everyone always ignores and rightly so. If this rumor turns out to be true, you and several other notable naysayers here will have a lot of crow to eat. Assuming you can eat any more. You are probably full or at least full of it after all your past "Apple will never...." predictions that flopped. The iPad mini and iPhone 5 just to name the most recent. For someone who thinks he channels the spirit of Steve Jobs you sure are wrong an awful lot. 

Oh yeah? I'd love to see some of these comments I've made where I said something will never happen. If anyone on this forum writes in terms of absolute terms that they can't back up it's you and a few your ilk.

As for calculations, we clearly have precedence for Apple wanting to use well worn production and components across multiple products to reduce costs as well limit the amount of radical change to the UI to make it easier for developers and better for users. If you think they are incorrect or think you can make a case for Apple going against the grain then prove otherwise but I can't recall a time when you've actually tried to participate in anything other than cocking up a thread with your whining.

This is what you wrote recently: "Perhaps the iPad Mini 2 and a larger iPhone could share the same resolution size. I think 1920x1080 would be perfect for both." Sounds like a request to me. On top of that you pooh-poohed Apple's careful and planned resolution transitions and stated they don't care about developer or user input. Not a big jump to infer 1080p is better for the iPhone and iPad and that you think Apple should match HDTV resolution -AND- aspect ratio. Perhaps you might want to choose your words more carefully next time... and for once.
Edited by SolipsismX - 1/20/13 at 11:17pm

post #54 of 198
Quote:

I'd love to see some of those comments where I requested a slide out KB, micro USB or HDMI.

I made a query. I never said you stated that. However, it does seem like the sort of thing you would request and complain about for not being on an Apple product.
Quote:
A micro SD slot would be useful since I have a ton of music, apps, photos, and video and I need 128GB. But it is not a deal breaker for me. The only deal killer I have ever mentioned is the screen size. I don't care what resolution it includes and trust Apple. Some new Android phones have 1080P resolutions and they look great but all I care about is the screen size and know Apple will get it right.

See, that's what I"m talking about, hence my query.
Quote:
You on the other hand and a few of your minions have viciously attacked anyone who dared hope for a larger screen iPhone as imbecilic. You might not have said the word never, but you sure came damned close and certainly expressed it as extremely unlikely and a huge mistake. I thought it was inevitable and a very wise move. Time will tell who was correct.

Not only have I not attacked anyone but I've actually made a technical and economic case for a larger iPhone that actually took a rational approach (as opposed to being emotion drive), consideration of the pros and cons, and some mathematical calculations to complete two possible paths based on Apple's historical patterns.

Note these scenarios I made in favour of the larger device you attacked me for in this thread. What have you done except lie, contradict yourself, and make yourself look like even more of an ass than usual?
Edited by SolipsismX - 1/20/13 at 11:08pm

post #55 of 198
Quote:

Soon they won't have to. iPad mini will about do the needful.

post #56 of 198
I'm gonna guess that that iPhone Math maybe the product of either a translation error and/or some poor schmuck with a heavy lisp. lol See? iPhone Max becomes iPhone Math, eathy ath pie!
post #57 of 198

iPhone Myth

post #58 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Makes far more sense than "Math", even as a code name it's a bad one.
It could be a calculated response...
post #59 of 198
Apple is loosing Asian market share big time because people here really want larger screens. This rumor adds up.
post #60 of 198
I am in Asia right now (and yes Shenzhen where they are making all the iPhone). I talked to over 100 iPhone case vendors and nobody dare to bet a new iPhone (form factor and they dont want apple to) is going come out. These people probably supply 30% of the world accessories. So my conclusion is - Steve is going to turn in his grave :S
Edited by Joelchu - 1/21/13 at 12:14am
post #61 of 198
To all those people who only read hearsay without facts

1. Apple is gaining shares in Asia market。they are not taking it over but 1% here and there.
2. Apple doesn't need everyone to buy Iphone (want and need is two different thing)
3. No matter what you do - there is no way to get it all and make everyone happy. But my mother is very happy to receive a iPhone 4. Much better than that knock off android crap she got from contract.
4. People who say they want cheap iPhone can't even afford a cheap phone. So no matter how cheap, that is not going to happen.
5. Many people in Asia have more than 1 phone. I have 3 mobiles ... They have a galaxy doesn't mean they don't have iPhone. Lots of galaxy every where in Hong Kong but plenty more people use iPhone at the same time. And I saw 4/6 split between iPhone & others in Shenzhen / shanghai / Beijing (in the tube)

I think that's about it.

Oh people here do queue up to Chanel and drop $100,000 for couple handbags. Photo on my website - this is a daily thing.
post #62 of 198
This is not a rumor, these are the facts I have read from the liver of a Bull I have sacrificed this morning:

1. iPhone Organic will be released this year, with a cover made out of Paper without any battery, power source will be the energy released by news like this

2. iPhone Vapor Ware

3. iPhone Android Metro Operating System. Apple will make it's iOS free of charge and free for all and portable to any mobile device possible (this includes my beloved Palm III).

If you want to have more hot and TRUE facts feel free to contact me!
post #63 of 198

Looks like a bad translation for sure.

I bet they meant something like iPhone+

Or maybe the internal codename really is Math.

Who knows?

post #64 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

That simply *has* to be a typo or a bad translation.

If you put the source through Google and Bing translate, some of the sentences read:

"IPhone large counterattack of the Jedi, who pointed out that, in the "Californian" model iPhone, led by new machines (name tentative iPhone iPhone Math and 5s), will be officially launched in June, new everything furniture, one of the more than 4.8-inch screen, the iPhone's first large size smart phone, Apple key to reproduce the glory."

"Apple phone must land big counter-offensive, the industry pointed out that, led by "Californian" models iPhone new machine (tentative name the iPhone 5s and the iPhone the Math) leader, will be in June, the official launch of the new aircraft MasterCard are all, including a screen more than 4.8 " iPhone's first large-size smartphone has become the key to Apple's reproduction glorious."

I think they are launching a giant iPhone Mastercard, which can be used as an aircraft (and payment system of course) to defend against the Jedi. But these are unverified sources so take it with a pinch of salt.
Quote:
"Moreover, the report said Apple will launch iTV before the end of 2013, and the company is set to unveil seven to eight new products in the year."

Yeah, that stock price really needs to go up.
post #65 of 198

iPad..................9.7"

iPad Mini...........7.9"

iPad Nano.........4.8"

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

post #66 of 198

Even if a phone with a 5 inches screen is ridiculous, I think Apple should do it. People nowadays are really buying into the Samsung horrible phablets and even if it's a bad idea, Apple can't let them win shares thanks to that segment. That would reinforce the idea that Apple is present on whatever size in the smartphone market and that Samsung doesn't have any advantage as I often hear. It's not that Apple has to be competing on every phone that SM does, but people need to stop thinking that Apple does 'small' phones. Again, I think that 'big' phones are lame.

edit : forget it, stupid idea

Edited by ClemyNX - 1/21/13 at 4:25am
post #67 of 198
Quote:
(Just using an Android user's thought process)

Nope, that's a straw man fallacy. You are projecting someone else's position and attacking your projection in an attempt to subvert a potential debate that hasn't even started yet.

Back to the subject, I'd buy a 4.8" iPhone, especially if it had a lower DPI than the current iPhones, as I find the current iPhones to be lacking in usability (the screen is too small for more than 2 fingers, and text sometimes is too small as well). The current iPhones work well for simple apps, but that screen is simply too small for anything interesting; even browsing is somewhat crippled by the iPhone's small screen.
post #68 of 198
Quote:

Letters with meaning.

iPhone X (the best iPhone, 5inch screen, expensive as sh*t, outsells all phablets combined)

iPhone (similar to today's iphone, with 4.2 screen, same price)

iPhone air ( 3.5 or 4inch screen, similar to same-generation iPod touch, cheaper)

Terminate previous iPhone models production.

New Dev tools and stronger ecosystem.

more market share

Profit

World domination.

Ridiculous IMHO.

1- Multiple phones is so making things complicated for people. Bad. Don't do it.

2- I fApple has really reached the point that they can't say "no, we won't do that" and "people want a Mini so let's make a Mini"/"people want a phablet/cheapcrap so let's make sum' phablet/cheapcrap", well, they're going to sell lots of these for 5 years and go under, like HP did.

I sure hope that Apple does not have such ridiculous plans. I sure hope Apple is going to focus on making great products, even if people "know" they want something else (bigger, cheaper, whatever). I sure hope Apple is not going to use focus groups and cheapcrap and large phones and small tablets (well, for that last one, it's too late already)...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #69 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Even if a phone with a 5 inches screen is ridiculous, I think Apple should do it. People nowadays are really buying into the Samsung horrible phablets and even if it's a bad idea, Apple can't let them win shares thanks to that segment. That would reinforce the idea that Apple is present on whatever size in the smartphone market and that Samsung doesn't have any advantage as I often hear. It's not that Apple has to be competing on every phone that SM does, but people need to stop thinking that Apple does 'small' phones. Again, I think that 'big' phones are lame.

N'importe quoi.

Apple doesn't have to do anything because "they can't let XXX win market share thanks to that segment". It's called "investing into the future". If Apple starts doing things that is in your words "a horrible idea" in order to protect "market share", they already are Samsung. They just don't know it yet. That's why they're not, imho, going to do that.

So Apple does "small phones" and "big phones are lame". It means Apple doesn't do "lame". End of story, nothing to change here.

post #70 of 198
Quote:

That's actually why you're mistaken. Apple makes high tech electronics. They're not in the costumer business.

post #71 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I thought you were serious about that last part the first time I read it! lol.gif

Don't worry I'm sure Digitimes will pick up your post and have a rumor about it ready for tomorrow.

Ask TS to make a picture for it and there you go, you can email Digitimes :D

post #72 of 198

Samsung reacted to the rumor by announcing the Samsung Axe, a Bada-based smartphone that can also be used as a weapon. http://www.flickr.com/photos/r2rcanada/5878783427/lightbox/

post #73 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

N'importe quoi.

Apple doesn't have to do anything because "they can't let XXX win market share thanks to that segment". It's called "investing into the future". If Apple starts doing things that is in your words "a horrible idea" in order to protect "market share", they already are Samsung. They just don't know it yet. That's why they're not, imho, going to do that.

So Apple does "small phones" and "big phones are lame". It means Apple doesn't do "lame". End of story, nothing to change here.

Yeah, your are absolutely right, that was a foolish thought.

post #74 of 198
Just two more cny cents before I off to have a massage 1smile.gif to those who keep telling us about Apple business strategy ... If you really know your stuff. Get off the Internet and start your own company.

And just back to the subject , did iPad mini teach all the cheapo a lesson? The idea of cheap in apple terms is a very different concept.

P.S. people really have a short memory. Apple RAISED the iPhone 5S price and now they are selling more. For any sane business person - what does it mean?

You can keep writing bullock all day long. If its not making you a cent, why not use your energy to do something productive?
post #75 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelchu View Post

Just two more cny cents before I off to have a massage 1smile.gif to those who keep telling us about Apple business strategy ... If you really know your stuff. Get off the Internet and start your own company.

And just back to the subject , did iPad mini teach all the cheapo a lesson? The idea of cheap in apple terms is a very different concept.

P.S. people really have a short memory. Apple RAISED the iPhone 5S price and now they are selling more. For any sane business person - what does it mean?

You can keep writing bullock all day long. If its not making you a cent, why not use your energy to do something productive?

Your entire argument falls to the ground in the light of carrier subsides.
post #76 of 198
Quote:

That's getting to be insane. I wonder what the usage model is for carrying these things around. Are they going to be a cadre of youth that wear lab coats, not ironically, not because work in a lab, but because nothing else will fit their phones? I've seen large holsters and belt clips on tablet cases. That works, if you're blitheringly style unconscious. I'm not style conscious, but I like to think I know where to stop on that one.
post #77 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendisease View Post

They are releasing a calculator

And what a calculator it would be! :D

post #78 of 198
obvioulsy they need a 2.2" screen for a micro device, a 3" screen for a nano device, the 3.5" screen for an "old school" device, a 4.2" screen just for wcmatt, a 4.5" screen for those who think 4.8 is too big, a 4.8" screen for their pocket calculator, a 5.2" screen for the iPhone Memo, a 5.8" screen for the iPhone Meeting minutes, a 6.25" iPad Nano, and there's a HUGE market for something between the 7.85 and 9.7" iPads. let's not forget about all the space between the 9.7" iPad and the 13" Air. apple NEEDS to release 45 new portable devices, or else they're DOOMED.
post #79 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

obvioulsy they need a 2.2" screen for a micro device, a 3" screen for a nano device, the 3.5" screen for an "old school" device, a 4.2" screen just for wcmatt, a 4.5" screen for those who think 4.8 is too big, a 4.8" screen for their pocket calculator, a 5.2" screen for the iPhone Memo, a 5.8" screen for the iPhone Meeting minutes, a 6.25" iPad Nano, and there's a HUGE market for something between the 7.85 and 9.7" iPads. let's not forget about all the space between the 9.7" iPad and the 13" Air. apple NEEDS to release 45 new portable devices, or else they're DOOMED.

You forgot that they need budget versions of each of those sizes. After all, they can't be successful unless every dirt-poor farmer in China owns 6 of their devices.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #80 of 198
Quote:

no no no no. 

Damn, now we have to wear costumes to buy the next iPhone?

Apple doesn't play the market share game. That being said, if there is a segment that can make profit without releasing crap, Apple will be there.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Apple to debut 4.8" 'iPhone Math' device alongside next-gen iPhone in June