or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Estimated delivery times for Apple's 21.5" iMac begin slipping

Estimated delivery times for Apple's 21.5" iMac begin slipping - Page 2

post #41 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post

Useless benchmark. I can't wait to get my 27" iMac. I'm going to do the first (and ONLY) review on a 3TB fusion drive talking about drive performance AFTER it's been filled up with well over 128GB of apps and the drive is actually forced to pull up rarely used apps that aren't already sitting on the SSD!!!

Every fusion drive benchmark out there simply puts a few apps on their iMac and runs a test. This is useless because the SSD can hold 128GB. That means if you have less than 128GB of stuff on your hard drive (which happens to be the case with all these benchmarks), it's all gonna be on the SSD. Of course your benchmarks are gonna run fast! It's not pulling anything from the HDD.

They don't actually fill up their computers with 1TB of apps and THEN run the test like I'm going to do. And my test is actually going to run intensive apps that aren't going to be touched in a long time. This will be a true test of the fusion drive performance.

That's actually wise. Even on the MBA, pulling from a 100% flash disk can feel slow (but it might be Mountain Lion that sucks). Switching from Office to Photoshop to XCode to Firefox to Excel to Eclipse -- possibly to EVE if I feel so inclined -- yes, I do that routinely) can feel annoyingly slow.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #42 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yeah me too. But I thought that screen shot was good for a laugh, 3 hits on Apple all on the front page. 1biggrin.gif

4. The left article is a MBA hit.

post #43 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Dude... I know you're trying to make a point, but publishing that screen shot is really not so cool. Just kinda obnoxious.

1_ I disagree.

2- You work at C|net?

post #44 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by pik80 View Post

1- Where the hell is the text from the quote gone. AppleInsider, your quote feature sucks.

2- "Now are product choices are low end and crazy high end. Very disappointing."

_Really._

Low end: Mini.

Medium range: 21 iMac, lowest 27 iMac

High range: maxed out iMac (3300€, that's starting to be serious money, you can buy a few camels for that price and start your own visit-the-egyptian-temples business for that money. Or something else.)

Very high-range: Maxed out MacPro.

Super high-range: Maxed out MacPro2013, super-secret-please-do-not-mention-before-announcement.

post #45 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I think they'll get this resolved before the end of the quarter. I bought my iMac and it came earlier than original expected. It was scheduled to be delivered between the 26th and 31st of the December, but I received it on the 18th. Even UPS delivered it a day ahead of their original projections, which was on the 19th. Go figure.

I've talked to local Apple Store reps that I gotten to know pretty well and they told me that they sell out every day from their daily shipments, the demand is fairly high for these products. So whatever production problems they have will get resolved.

Now, some of them are being assembled in the US and some in China. Mine was assembled in China.

Can you actually in any way influence that? I'd be ready to pay a little more (not upto 50% more, though) to get not-assembled-in-China stuff.

post #46 of 103
OSX devices are more popular now than ever before. That's probably the biggest factor.
post #47 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post

Useless benchmark. I can't wait to get my 27" iMac. I'm going to do the first (and ONLY) review on a 3TB fusion drive talking about drive performance AFTER it's been filled up with well over 128GB of apps and the drive is actually forced to pull up rarely used apps that aren't already sitting on the SSD!!!

Every fusion drive benchmark out there simply puts a few apps on their iMac and runs a test. This is useless because the SSD can hold 128GB. That means if you have less than 128GB of stuff on your hard drive (which happens to be the case with all these benchmarks), it's all gonna be on the SSD. Of course your benchmarks are gonna run fast! It's not pulling anything from the HDD.

They don't actually fill up their computers with 1TB of apps and THEN run the test like I'm going to do. And my test is actually going to run intensive apps that aren't going to be touched in a long time. This will be a true test of the fusion drive performance.

No, that's a silly test of Fusion Drive performance. You're intentionally filling the computer (which few people do) and then intentionally choosing the apps that would have the least benefit. That's the same error that the people cited above make. They're intentionally choosing a worst case scenario (obviously, working with a massive drive that is on the 5400 rpm drive rather than on the SSD is going to be slow).

The best test is always to try to mimic what you do most of the time. By definition, the things that you do most of the time will be on the SSD drive and the things you rarely do will be on the platter. So if you want to find out how much it speeds up things that you do every day, you're mostly going to be hitting the SSD (after the system becomes familiar enough with your usage patterns to have reached equilibrium). When you run an app that hasn't been used for a long time, it is NOT representative of your normal usage.

Now, there might be scenarios where your situation is relevant. Let's say that you run a very computer-intensive app only once a month or once a quarter -- perhaps some scientific app that requires massive resources. Fusion would not really help in that case. Fortunately, very few people actually operate like that. And even if you do, you can get around it by simply getting a small SSD Thunderbolt disk and using it when you need to run that app.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #48 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Here is BareFeats testing on the new iMac against machines with and without Fusion Drive. Note this is the 27" iMac so the drive is 3.5" and therefore 7200 RPM.

That's just about what I would have expected. Fusion is going to be faster than a platter drive for the things people do routinely. If you are in the group that uses a wide variety of apps and data (> 128 GB worth) or have a data-intensive app that you use so infrequently that it's downgraded to the 5400 rpm drive, then fusion probably won't help as much (although it will still be faster than just the platter drive because the OS will be on SSD).
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #49 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The last iMac wasn't nine inches. What are you talking about?

How silly it would be to make the iMac thicker. What are YOU talking about?

Pretty sure he is referencing over all size including the stand. 

Last 21.5" iMac 

Depth: 7.42 inches 

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC812LL/A

New 21.5" iMac

Stand depth: 6.9 inches

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

It looks like the slimming of the new iMacs allowed them to slim the stand by half of an inch on the 21.5" model. The 27" model has a current stand depth of 8". It was probably 9" in the last model. 

post #50 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

That's actually wise. Even on the MBA, pulling from a 100% flash disk can feel slow (but it might be Mountain Lion that sucks). Switching from Office to Photoshop to XCode to Firefox to Excel to Eclipse -- possibly to EVE if I feel so inclined -- yes, I do that routinely) can feel annoyingly slow.

You're using all those apps on an MBA and complaining that the SSD is slow? Did it ever occur to you that it might simply be that you're overloading the system so much that even blazing fast SSD can't make up for all the additional swapping you're doing?

It's not a miracle worker. It is, however, far faster than anything else. If you were to try doing all those tasks on a different system with the same processor and same RAM as your MBA but with a platter drive, I think you'd understand just how much time the SSD is saving you.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #51 of 103
Quote:

Amazing screen cap. Shows the clear editorial independance of C|net. I mean, who else has dared shake the Apple theocracy and tell the truth on the iPhone 5, the iPad, the iMac and warned that MBA isn't up the Lenovo's ultrabook?

Ahemf.

Here is the anti-Apple pathology in stark relief, assuming you are serious.

How is Apple a theocracy? Do you see yourself in the heroic role of "shaking" that theocracy?
post #52 of 103
Quote:

No, no, the Macbook and the iPad are completely different from the iMac. I understand why those are getting thinner, they are mobile devices. I don't understand the iMac getting thinner because a) it is a desktop and b) it was already very thin. Yes they did lower performance, the 21" model has a laptop drive in it now rather then the 7800 drives that were in the previous version. I used the 21" version in the store and it was painfully slow the 27" was moderately better.

Also, the 2.5" drives are much less reliable than 3.5" drives, even if they are used in a desktop. And when that drive fails, it might be cheaper to just throw away the iMac and get an equivalent used Mac Mini and 21" display. The new 21" iMac wasn't designed to be serviced. So it's thin and disposable versus less than an inch thicker and repairable/upgradable, I'd choose the latter.

pik80: 7800 should be 7200

p.s. With the Thunderbolt port as an input, you can use the iMac with a dead hard drive as a display. So that's why they designed it that way.

post #53 of 103
1- Where the hell is the text from the quote gone. AppleInsider, your quote feature sucks.

He screwed up his post tabbing, so it screwed up your quote. Nothing to do with Huddler.

Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post
Pretty sure he is referencing over all size including the stand. 

And I'm referencing the size of the device because the stand doesn't matter. It's specifically designed to be as out of the way in this regard as possible. All that matters is the thickness of the device. 

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post
How is Apple a theocracy? Do you see yourself in the heroic role of "shaking" that theocracy?

That would explain a little.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #54 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well it certainly can't be a demand issue. I mean c|net is telling us the new Mac is only compelling for "Mac loyalists", and we know there's not many of those around anymore. 1wink.gif

LOL, those cnet site headlines read like Fandroid posts.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #55 of 103
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
LOL, those cnet site headlines read like Fandroid posts.

I'm not surprised about this sort of thing when I see it, I just wish the people responsible would be jailed, fined, or have their websites shut down. 

Video game companies pay their industry's review sites for better reviews. Many have been caught at it, and the only price they pay is player outrage for as long as the event is remembered. No tangible or repeatedly quantifiable repercussion.

I expect some players within the tech industry to do the same. So it's not surprising, it's just disgusting.

post #56 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by davida View Post

Also, the 2.5" drives are much less reliable than 3.5" drives, even if they are used in a desktop. And when that drive fails, it might be cheaper to just throw away the iMac and get an equivalent used Mac Mini and 21" display. The new 21" iMac wasn't designed to be serviced. So it's thin and disposable versus less than an inch thicker and repairable/upgradable, I'd choose the latter.

That is basically the reason why I always get a Mac Pro. They seems expensive, but actually they're cheaper.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #57 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's just about what I would have expected. Fusion is going to be faster than a platter drive for the things people do routinely. If you are in the group that uses a wide variety of apps and data (> 128 GB worth) or have a data-intensive app that you use so infrequently that it's downgraded to the 5400 rpm drive, then fusion probably won't help as much (although it will still be faster than just the platter drive because the OS will be on SSD).

I don't understand how one can complain about Fusion when it's filled when HDDs slow down as they are filled. At least with Fusion you have the OS, all frequently used apps or all apps if you have the space, and other files that would benefit from being on the SSD along with a designated area for caching on the SSD.

As I'm sure you've seen me write before I've been using dual drives in my 13' MBP for years. My OS and apps on the SSD and my ~/User folder on the HDD. Fast boots and app launches with 1.08TB capacity. Only in the last few months did I combine the drives into a single Fusion Drive. Works great!

During those years of two separate volumes I've never filled more than half the drive with the OS and apps. I do have MS Office and Xcode but I don't have any professional Adobe products installed. I'm sure there are users that would benefit from a 256GB SSD because 128GB isn't enough for all their apps but they are atypical users. Even more atypical would be users that would frequently need access to all 128GB+ of apps on the SSD which makes me wonder why one would want to design a test that isn't real world but designed to make Fusion Drive look bad.

Here is AnandTech's review of Fusion Drive: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6679/a-month-with-apples-fusion-drive

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #58 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That is basically the reason why I always get a Mac Pro. They seems expensive, but actually they're cheaper.

I have noticed that too. I am currently writing this comment on a nine year old PowerMac G5 since it has lasted so long. If Apple ever comes out with a mid-range machine I would be interested in buying that but in the mean time I shall wait.....

Quote:

I'm not surprised about this sort of thing when I see it, I just wish the people responsible would be jailed, fined, or have their websites shut down.

I respect Cnet for doing this rather than just praising everything Apple puts out. I think reviews on Apple products have gotten a little overly positive recently so it is good to have them come along and ground us back to reality.

post #59 of 103

I think reviews on Apple products have gotten a little overly positive recently…

So you're ignoring the past three years or so?

post #60 of 103
Quote:

I have noticed that too. I am currently writing this comment on a nine year old PowerMac G5 since it has lasted so long. If Apple ever comes out with a mid-range machine I would be interested in buying that but in the mean time I shall wait.....

Hmmm.. The lowest price PowerMac G5 was $2,000. The lowest priced Mac Pro is $2500. Not sure how they're in such different categories.

And Apple DOES have a mid-range machine. It's call the iMac. Whether or not it meets your needs, it is certainly mid-range (above the Mini and below the Mac Pro - although the iMac can easily beat a low end Mac Pro at many tasks).
Quote:

I respect Cnet for doing this rather than just praising everything Apple puts out. I think reviews on Apple products have gotten a little overly positive recently so it is good to have them come along and ground us back to reality.

"back to reality"? More like "back to the 90s when it was apparently illegal to say anything positive about Apple or Apple products".

Apple's reviews have been so positive because they've been so far ahead of the competition at most things. Posting a ridiculously negative, error-filled review does not provide balance.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #61 of 103
Quote:

Hmmm.. The lowest price PowerMac G5 was $2,000. The lowest priced Mac Pro is $2500. Not sure how they're in such different categories.

The PowerMac was priced at $1,600 for the longest time and then skyrocketed up nearly $1,000 so they are in very different categories. For a while they sold the PowerMac G4 and PowerMac G5 at the same time this provided a nice mid range and high end option. Unfortunately they killed off their mid-range line about seven years ago and are yet to replace it with anything else.

post #62 of 103
Quote:

The PowerMac was priced at $1,600 for the longest time and then skyrocketed up nearly $1,000 so they are in very different categories. For a while they sold the PowerMac G4 and PowerMac G5 at the same time this provided a nice mid range and high end option. Unfortunately they killed off their mid-range line about seven years ago and are yet to replace it with anything else.

Wow! $1600 was only for some of the G3 & G4 models (some were even cheaper) but to compare it with todays' iMac prices seems...off. Currently the mid range is the iMac and high end is the MP. Buy what you need.
post #63 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

to compare it with todays' iMac prices seems...off.

I wasn't making a comparison with the iMac. Doing that wouldn't make sense since the iMac isn't a mid-range machine.

post #64 of 103
I wasn't making a comparison with the iMac. Doing that wouldn't make sense since the iMac isn't a mid-range machine.

*sigh* So what is the iMac, then. Tell us.

post #65 of 103
Quote:

*sigh* So what is the iMac, then. Tell us.

It is a niche product that has it's place in crowded spaces like a dorm room or very small apartment but it's difficult expansion, single hard drive, and laptop drive leave it out of the mid-range category. I just can't bring myself to replace a PowerMac with an iMac and the MacPro is way more expansion then is necessary for my needs. Also the 27" monitor on the iMac is way too big.

post #66 of 103
Quote:

It is a niche product that has it's place in crowded spaces like a dorm room or very small apartment but it's difficult expansion, single hard drive, and laptop drive leave it out of the mid-range category. I just can't bring myself to replace a PowerMac with an iMac and the MacPro is way more expansion then is necessary for my needs. Also the 27" monitor on the iMac is way too big.

I understand what you wish for, and many people have the same wish. Still, I don't think Apple will cater to such a request. But you never know; they sure as hell created enough iPod versions/designs/sizes. If the iPhone5 is any indication, they might create a S/M/L iPhone and expand that philosophy over to the Mac where they might create the xMac.

If I were an analyst I'd take that key word might out of my post ¡
post #67 of 103
…it's difficult expansion, single hard drive…

No. The iMac is a "whole package" computer for people who couldn't care less about any of this. So roughly 90% of people.

I just can't bring myself to replace a PowerMac with an iMac…

You'll notice you're talking about replacing a professional product with a consumer product. So it's to be expected that you don't want to swap there! Except, of course, that even the Mac Mini is three times more powerful in every respect than even the newest PowerMac.

Also the 27" monitor on the iMac is way too big.

So buy a 21.5". Simple.

post #68 of 103
Quote:

So buy a 21.5". Simple.

And get stuck with a laptop HD, 1TB drive, measly 256GB of SS storage on the fushion drive, and snail slow performance? I'll pass.

Quote:
You'll notice you're talking about replacing a professional product with a consumer product. So it's to be expected that you don't want to swap there!

So what I am supposed to upgrade to?

The minimal number of HDs for a desktop should be two not having a backup is inexcusable. Being able to easily replace the drive is a must. Having to wait for someone to install a drive at the Apple store is stupid (and many people don't live by an Apple store making the task impossible.) The iMac is not a whole package computer and requires other devices to make it function properly.

post #69 of 103
Quote:

The minimal number of HDs for a desktop should be two not having a backup is inexcusable. Being able to easily replace the drive is a must. Having to wait for someone to install a drive at the Apple store is stupid (and many people don't live by an Apple store making the task impossible.) The iMac is not a whole package computer and requires other devices to make it function properly.

The Mac Mini server can be ordered with 2x1TB HDD, so there.

The Mac Pro is able to easily replace the drive, so there.

"not having a backup is inexcusable" backups should be kept off site and therefore are not to be made 'inside the Mac'.
post #70 of 103
Quote:

And get stuck with a laptop HD, 1TB drive, measly 256GB of SS storage on the fushion drive, and snail slow performance? I'll pass.

You don't sounds reasonable by saying that the Fusion Drive is snail slow performance. All your comments comes across as whining. I don't think I've read one reasonable comment from you in this thread. You want something Apple doesn't offer and you come across as if Apple has made it a personal vendetta to not service your very specific and unusual needs. You sound entitled and elitist. If you have to have a 3.5" HDD (something you think is higher performance than Fusion Drive) then you can't get the 21.5" iMac. It's that simple!

post #71 of 103
Quote:

Snail slow? The iMac? I guess you just proved that you're spewing FUD. Even the slowest iMac you can buy today is at least 10 times more capable than the PowerMac G5 that you say you're using. And its a very powerful desktop machine - certainly well within the range of other computers in its price range.
Quote:

Of course it is. It's between the Mini and the dual CPU Mac Pro.

Granted, it's not the very narrowly defined product that you demand and insist on calling the required 'mid-range' machine, but by any REASONABLE standard, it is.

Quote:

The PowerMac G5 which you claim to own was never $1600. So which part are you lying about? Owning a G5 or the price?
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #72 of 103
Quote:

You sound entitled

Yes, I am entitled. When I spend a premium on Apple's hardware I am entitled to get a product that makes up for the cost that I spent on it. If this was some bargin bin PC I was buying I wouldn't have such high expectations but for the premium Apple charges I expect more and the fact is that Apple's current desktop line is nothing but a joke. I bought my PowerMac in 2005 because they had a decent line up back then and I expected them to keep it up but man have they gone in the toliet. If you haven't figured it out by now I am not one of those Apple users that just makes up excuses for every poor decision Apple makes. They have other products a like but there is nothing in the desktop line even worth considering.

post #73 of 103
Quote:

Yes, I am entitled. When I spend a premium on Apple's hardware I am entitled to get a product that makes up for the cost that I spent on it. If this was some bargin bin PC I was buying I wouldn't have such high expectations but for the premium Apple charges I expect more and the fact is that Apple's current desktop line is nothing but a joke. I bought my PowerMac in 2005 because they had a decent line up back then and I expected them to keep it up but man have they gone in the toliet. If you haven't figured it out by now I am not one of those Apple users that just makes up excuses for every poor decision Apple makes. They have other products a like but there is nothing in the desktop line even worth considering.

1) That's all bullshit because there is no bait-and-switch marketing here so you are entitled to nothing. You know what the specs of the machine are prior to buying it hence your complaining now about a machine you don't own.

2) For someone that claims there is nothing in their desktop line worth considering you sure have spent a lot of time complaining about it.

post #74 of 103
Quote:

You know what the specs of the machine are prior to buying it hence your complaining now about a machine you don't own.

Yes, and I was satisfied with that machine when I bought it in 2005. Now that I am locked into the Mac platform as I have spent thousands on Mac software and have no other options. The lineup looked good at the time but they are now stuck in a rut. I am entitled to better then this.

post #75 of 103

You keep saying this as though it's the truth. Do you not know it isn't? Come on.

Let's see, pro desktop, don't want to upgrade to a consumer desktop, ignoring that the consumer desktop on the high end can give pro desktops a run for their money… I guess the answer is to upgrade to a pro desktop.

The minimal number of HDs for a desktop should be two…

1) This isn't your decision to make.

2) You're wrong, anyway.

3) One is the minimum, as that's all that is needed. Regular people couldn't care less about nor need more than one. That's why Fusion Drive combines two drives visually; they'd get confused otherwise.

The iMac is not a whole package computer and requires other devices to make it function properly.

Enlighten me, what else do I need to buy to get an iMac to run?

Yes, I am entitled. 

No. Discussion over.

…I am entitled to get…

No.

If you haven't figured it out by now I am not one of those Apple users that just makes up excuses for every poor decision Apple makes.

Right, you make up lies about what Apple makes.

post #76 of 103
Quote:

The PowerMac G5 which you claim to own was never $1600. So which part are you lying about? Owning a G5 or the price?

I never said the PowerMac G5 was $1,600, I just said the PowerMac was priced at that without mentioned any particular model. The G5 wasn't even that far off from that price at $1,800 but that was a good attempt at trying to make me look like I was not creditable.

post #77 of 103
Quote:

I guess the answer is to upgrade to a pro desktop.

So I have to buy an enormous case that has twice as many drives as I need, two processor which I don't need, two optical drives which I don't need, and more expansion ports then I know what to do with? I'll pass.

"Enlighten me, what else do I need to buy to get an iMac to run?"

You need an internal back up drive. Off site storage is fine (I have this) but I need to have two back ups for my work I don't feel comfortable with only one. If something were to happen to one back up I want to know that I have another back up available. Also I want to use my internal drive for hourly time machine backups and I can't do that with an off site solution. I can't believe we still make computers that have one drive in them in the year 2013.

"That's why Fusion Drive combines two drives visually; they'd get confused otherwise."

The fusion drive doesn't provide the back up functions I need.

post #78 of 103
Quote:

You need an internal back up drive. Off site storage is fine (I have this) but I need to have two back ups for my work I don't feel comfortable with only one. If something were to happen to one back up I want to know that I have another back up available. Also I want to use my internal drive for hourly time machine backups and I can't do that with an off site solution. I can't believe we still make computers that have one drive in them in the year 2013.

The only options you can think of are INTERNAL backups and OFF SITE backups? I understand that many people aren't good at breaking down a problem to find a solution but you're purposely ignoring EXTERNAL backups. Get a USB or TB RAID and you move on.

Or buy the 2011 21.5" iMac with the 3.5" HDD. Or don't buy anything from Apple at all. Or make your own machine since you feel that no machine in 2013 should have less than 2 drives.

Whatever you do please stop inventing obscure problems that make you think entitle Apple to build a machine just for your needs.

post #79 of 103
Quote:

you're purposely ignoring EXTERNAL backups. Get a USB or TB RAID and you move on.

I do have an external back up. My offsite back up is my internal drive. I bring my external drive into the office every couple of weeks to back it up and then bring it back home so that if someone stole my computer or there was a fire I would still have my work.

"Or make your own machine since you feel that no machine in 2013 should have less than 2 drives."

Kind of hard to do when Apple is the only one that can make Macs.

"Whatever you do please stop inventing obscure problems that make you think entitle Apple to build a machine just for your needs."

They are not obscure problems these are the problems that effect the majority of computer users and all Apple offers are computers that are made for niche markets.

post #80 of 103
Quote:

Wow.  My first Mac was more expensive, and therefore I guess in a different category than your PowerMac.  It cost about $2000 with a student discount, if I recall correctly as it was many, many moons ago (1988 or something).  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_Plus

Had a whopping 8MHz CPU and 1MB RAM, no internal HD and a floppy drive.  Even came with a 9 inch mono display with an incredible 512x342 pixel spread.

If only Apple would release something in the same range...

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Estimated delivery times for Apple's 21.5" iMac begin slipping