or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung to take on Apple's iPad mini with 8-inch Galaxy Note

Samsung to take on Apple's iPad mini with 8-inch Galaxy Note

post #1 of 104
Samsung next month will roll out a new entry in its Galaxy Note series aimed at taking on industry rival Apple's iPad mini in the mid-size tablet segment.

Galaxy Note 10.1
The new Galaxy Note 8.0 will join Samsung's existing Note 10.1, shown above.

Samsung Mobile vice president JK Shin confirmed the Note 8.0 ? which will join the Galaxy Notes 2 and 10.1 in Samsung's stylus-enabled lineup ? to Korean news outlet News 1. Shin gave no indication as to the pricing or specifications of the device, but he did confirm that it will be revealed at Mobile World Congress 2013 in Barcelona.

An 8-inch Galaxy Note device has been rumored for some time, based on the notion that Samsung would not leave the mid-range tablet segment to its competitors. While Samsung was among the earliest of major manufacturers to enter the mid-range segment with its Galaxy Tab 7.0, the mid-range tablet market didn't begin to take off until late 2011, when Amazon's Kindle Fire debuted to brisk sales. The next year saw the addition of Google's Nexus 7 tablet, a new line of Kindle Fires, and, finally, the long-expected iPad mini, which launched to considerable demand and is thought to have shipped eight million units in the last quarter.

Of course, a Note 8.0 would feature the Note line's signature S Pen stylus, which is pressure sensitive and slips into a special holding slot on Note devices. Little else, though, is known about the unannounced device's specifications. Samsung news blog SamMobile cites trusted sources in predicting that it will feature an 8-inch 1280x800 TFT display, 1.6GHz quad-core processor, 2GB of RAM, and Android 4.2 as its operating system.

Those same sources say the Note 8.0 will be larger than Apple's smaller iPad, though not by too much. The iPad mini measures 200x134.7x7.2mm and weighs 308g, while the Note 8.0 is said to measure 211.3x136.3x7.95mm and weigh 330g.

A mid-sized Note tablet would signify that the South Korean conglomerate intends to cede no ground to Apple moving forward. Samsung has already taken cues from Apple -- both in product design and marketing -- as it seeks to build a high-value brand for itself, one approaching that of its main rival.
post #2 of 104
Samesong
post #3 of 104
I wonder how a Samsung products catalogue would look like....

With so many products without key differentiation I wonder how any one can keeps tracks of it.
post #4 of 104
This is great because it's more reason for Apple to compete by (finally!) adding stylus capability to the iPad lineup.
post #5 of 104

Shocking!

post #6 of 104
Now wait a second. This has the same resolution as the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in a smaller screen size meaning the picture should be better.

So are the haters that complained about the iPad Mini resolution going to take back their complaints since the Mini has the same resolution as an iPad 2, but in a smaller screen as well?

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #7 of 104
My local Costco sells some Samsung Tabs no one seems to be interested in. Funny thing is they are stacked against rows full of iDevice accessories, but not a trace of a single iDevice in store.
Wonder whether I should just quit my membership as this situation starting to piss me off.
post #8 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is great because it's more reason for Apple to compete by (finally!) adding stylus capability to the iPad lineup.
I have never once thought, "Wow, I could really use a stylus right now"
post #9 of 104
Quote:

After 15 years of failed M$ Tablets, I think only a really small percentage really prefer a stylus over a more direct input.

The Galaxy Note comes with a stylus, great... Too bad they used proprietary S Pen API, yet another Android fragmented features with very little third-party support.

post #10 of 104
So we have thicker, larger and heavier tablet from Samsung with a less ideal aspect ratio (unless you only want to play YouTube videos), and it has a smaller display area. So this will competing with the Nexus and Kindle Fire on price?

Galaxy Note 8.0
Display Size: 8"
Aspect Ratio: 16:10
Height: 6.8"
Width: 4.2"
Display Area: 28.78"

iPad mini
Display Size: 7.9"
Aspect Ratio: 4:3
Height: 6.3"
Width: 4.7"
Display Area: 29.96"

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #11 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Well most don't need it, but if you want to draw (I do obviously), it's essential.  

All we can do now is fingerprint, which is fun, but not very productive.  

post #12 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

The Galaxy Note comes with a stylus, great... Too bad they used proprietary S Pen API, yet another Android fragmented features with very little third-party support.

This is one area I commend Samsung. The SW for the digitizer HW didn't exist in Android so they made their own as well as an API. It's not as ideal as a vertically integrated company like Apple could do but I think Samsung's hold on the Android market and the number of Note devices is more than enough to warrant the effort.

I hope Apple will follow suit with a good digitizer and associated SW at some point. No hole in the iPads for a stylus or any inclusion with the device but allow the user to buy one from any number of vendors if they wish.

post #13 of 104

doesn't look good does it?

post #14 of 104
Quote:

Well most don't need it, but if you want to draw (I do obviously), it's essential.  

All we can do now is fingerprint, which is fun, but not very productive.  

What the Galaxy Note's stylus can do and a third-party stylus for iPad can't?

post #15 of 104
Quote:

After 15 years of failed M$ Tablets, I think only a really small percentage really prefer a stylus over a more direct input.

True, but I would argue your complaint applies to iOS also.  Most people definitely don't need a stylus but that's not to say they wouldn't use it if it existed.  A certain group of users (mostly those who want to draw), definitely do need a stylus, so what's happened is a third party proprietary API and hardware has appeared for iOS as well.  The pen is a horrid clunky thing and only programs that buy into the third party API can use it.  Obviously it would be better for everyone if the hardware was integrated into the device and fully supported by the OS so that everyone could use it. 

post #16 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Galaxy Note 8.0
Width: 4.2"

iPad mini
Width: 4.7"

There's the key difference!
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #17 of 104
i thought they had a 8" tablet or was that a 8.9" tablet--7, 8.9, 10? so confused.
post #18 of 104

I'm only interested if it can make cellular calls and can run stock Android,  otherwise my future will still include an iPad mini.

post #19 of 104
Quote:

True, but I would argue your complaint applies to iOS also.  Most people definitely don't need a stylus but that's not to say they wouldn't use it if it existed.  A certain group of users (mostly those who want to draw), definitely do need a stylus, so what's happened is a third party proprietary API and hardware has appeared for iOS as well.  The pen is a horrid clunky thing and only programs that buy into the third party API can use it.  Obviously it would be better for everyone if the hardware was integrated into the device and fully supported by the OS so that everyone could use it. 

I agree with you, having an "Official" HW and SW solution for a pressure sensitive digitalizer would be great.  But I still think Apple as follow the right path by not giving choice for developers of having mandatory touch input UI.  Too many Palms and PC Tablet applications has being wrongly created around a Pen driven UI, which is a pain in the a...

post #20 of 104

I come to ClickbaitInsider for all my Samsung Galaxy news.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #21 of 104
I can hardly wait.... /s
post #22 of 104
In the long line of "let's throw some shit against the wall and hope something sticks" camp

For those US employees that are working for this POS including those in that black monolith in Ridgefield Park NJ, I hope you wake up and decide to do something meaningful and impactful with your careers. At least Sony had some style in its hay-day

I laugh that Samsung is being considered as a "Horse-man" of the technology scene. Given it does not even control its own software platform. And it never will

Samsung is a pretender... One that over compensates with its large scale marketing budget

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #23 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I have thought MANY times I would use an iPad if it had a stylus.

And I bet all those people carrying around a keyboard to use with their iPad might think the same thing.

post #24 of 104
Quote:

What the Galaxy Note's stylus can do and a third-party stylus for iPad can't?

All the current styluses for the iPad are just acting like "fake fingers," with the exception of the new one that I mentioned from a third party with a third party API (can't remember the name just now).  In other words they aren't really styluses at all.  

The Galaxy Note uses a "real" stylus that's pressure sensitive and works in concert with your fingers, not just as another finger.  Basically it works like a Wacom stylus.  

post #25 of 104
Samsung development meetings:

So what could copy this quarter? Anybody?

Sony is coming out with a 46" TV, let's make one that is 47"

Next...

iPad Mini seems to be selling well...

What size was it?

7.9".

Let's make one at 8", and we will call it Galaxy Note 8!

Next...
post #26 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

I laugh that Samsung is being considered as a "Horse-man" of the technology scene. Given it does not even control its own software platform. And it never will

Because of you, I can't get off my mind about associating Gangnam Style and Samsung.

post #27 of 104
Quote:

I agree with you, having an "Official" HW and SW solution for a pressure sensitive digitalizer would be great.  But I still think Apple as follow the right path by not giving choice for developers of having mandatory touch input UI.  Too many Palms and PC Tablet applications has being wrongly created around a Pen driven UI, which is a pain in the a...

I would agree with that.  I never thought of that angle actually.  Generally speaking "pen-computing" is a failure IMO and something to be discouraged.  

I just want the iPad to work the same way as it works in real life with pen and paper.  I flip the pages with my fingers, but when I go to draw on it, I want to rest my hand on the paper and draw with an accurate stylus the same way everyone always has.  Right now you have to do some serious gymnastics to avoid touching the screen, hold the pen at an unnatural angle, and even then ... you have to constantly zoom in and out for the details because the pen is basically as accurate as a sausage. 

Styluses to write or make marks with have been with us, and hardly changed at all, since neolithic days.  I'm not convinced that they are no longer needed or the fact that I can scribble a line with my finger on the iPad is a good replacement. 

post #28 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

My local Costco sells some Samsung Tabs no one seems to be interested in. Funny thing is they are stacked against rows full of iDevice accessories, but not a trace of a single iDevice in store.
Wonder whether I should just quit my membership as this situation starting to piss me off.
I think Costco's business depends on getting bulk items at large discounts. With Apple struggling to meet demand for iDevices selling at full retail, it seems
unlikely they could or would supply Costco. There also might be a problem with the differences in the return policies of the two companies. Don't drop your
membership, adjust your expectation.
post #29 of 104
Quote:

I just want the iPad to work the same way as it works in real life with pen and paper.  I flip the pages with my fingers, but when I go to draw on it, I want to rest my hand on the paper and draw with an accurate stylus the same way everyone always has.  Right now you have to do some serious gymnastics to avoid touching the screen, hold the pen at an unnatural angle, and even then ... you have to constantly zoom in and out for the details because the pen is basically as accurate as a sausage.

Having sees some peoples creating breathtaking illustration with a iPad on Youtube and elsewhere, I think a glove solve most of the screen touching issue and the touch screen precision seams more than enough once you get use to it.  

We are still at the infancy of tablets computing, I think new functions will come along with new expectation from tablets users but tablets devices still need to defines themselves first. Samsung got any clues with bringing an Office Pen oriented device with a films-video 16:9 oriented display.

post #30 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
So we have thicker, larger and heavier tablet from Samsung with a less ideal aspect ratio (unless you only want to play YouTube videos)

Actually, most YouTube videos I see are still 4:3. So, the 16:10 ratio is neither good for that.

post #31 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

i thought they had a 8" tablet or was that a 8.9" tablet--7, 8.9, 10? so confused.

It seems Samsung are too. Someone posted this on TheVerge forums:

• 2.80 Galaxy 5/Europa
  • 3.14 Galaxy Mini
  • 3.20 Galaxy 3/Apollo
  • 3.50 Galaxy Ace
  • 3.65 Galaxy Player 3.6
  • 4.00 Galaxy S, S III Mini, Player 4.0
  • 4.20 Galaxy Player 4.2
  • 4.27 Galaxy S II
  • 4.50 Galaxy S II Skyrocket, Infuse 4G
  • 4.52 Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
  • 4.65 Galaxy S II HD LTE, Galaxy Nexus
  • 4.80 Galaxy S III
  • 5.00 Galaxy Player 5.0
  • 5.29 Galaxy Note
  • 5.55 Galaxy Note II
  • 5.80 Galaxy Player 5.8
  • 7.00 Galaxy Tab, Tab 7.0 Plus, Tab 2 7.0
  • 7.70 Galaxy Tab 7.7
  • 8.00 Galaxy Note 8.0?
  • 8.90 Galaxy Tab 8.9
  • 10.10 Galaxy Tab 10.1, Tab 2 10.1, Note 10.1

...  and of course the Nexus 10 aaaaand this (8.0). And this are only the Galaxy branded ones...

post #32 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I think Costco's business depends on getting bulk items at large discounts. With Apple struggling to meet demand for iDevices selling at full retail, it seems
unlikely they could or would supply Costco. There also might be a problem with the differences in the return policies of the two companies. Don't drop your

Costco stopped selling iDevices back in 2010 because of that very reason. Apple couldn't supply them with enough product even though they could supply some of their competitors:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20025230-37.html

post #33 of 104
My wife has the Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet and she hates it. Compared to my iPad her Note has lower resolution, slower wifi is made of plastic and the OS is jumpy as hell. Samsung can "copy" all they want, but the quality is still lacking. Samsung makes nice tv's and bluerays, but they are no where near to catching up to Apple on tablets or phones!
post #34 of 104
Originally Posted by Jonteponte View Post
  • 2.80 Galaxy 5/Europa
  • 3.14 Galaxy Mini
  • 3.20 Galaxy 3/Apollo
  • 3.50 Galaxy Ace
  • 3.65 Galaxy Player 3.6
  • 4.00 Galaxy S, S III Mini, Player 4.0
  • 4.20 Galaxy Player 4.2
  • 4.27 Galaxy S II
  • 4.50 Galaxy S II Skyrocket, Infuse 4G
  • 4.52 Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
  • 4.65 Galaxy S II HD LTE, Galaxy Nexus
  • 4.80 Galaxy S III
  • 5.00 Galaxy Player 5.0
  • 5.29 Galaxy Note
  • 5.55 Galaxy Note II
  • 5.80 Galaxy Player 5.8
  • 7.00 Galaxy Tab, Tab 7.0 Plus, Tab 2 7.0
  • 7.70 Galaxy Tab 7.7
  • 8.00 Galaxy Note 8.0?
  • 8.90 Galaxy Tab 8.9
  • 10.10 Galaxy Tab 10.1, Tab 2 10.1, Note 10.1

...  and of course the Nexus 10 aaaaand this (8.0). And this are only the Galaxy branded ones...

This is psychotic. And people actually want Apple to become more like this? No.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #35 of 104
This is comparing apples to oranges. iPad mini is not a phone. Samsung Note series are smartphones. Note is being subsidized heavily by AT&T and Verizon. This is Samsung's marketing strategy.
post #36 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Originally Posted by Rothgarr View Post

Costco stopped selling iDevices back in 2010 because of that very reason. Apple couldn't supply them with enough product even though they could supply some of their competitors:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20025230-37.html

If you read the entire article you referenced, you'd see that the real reason was two-fold. 1) Costco wasn't allowed to sell Apple devices through the Costco online store, and 2) Costco wasn't allowed to discount Apple devices more than a few cents. Costco only sells items it can procure and sell for less than other stores. This is how Costco works. iPods can easily be found in bulk yet Costco won't sell them because of these two reasons. All those iDevice accessories aren't controlled by Apple, therefore, they can sell them for whatever they want to.

post #37 of 104
Ok haters... Waiting for you to declare Samsung desperate for following Apple's lead.
(Finger drum finger drum finger drum).
post #38 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

Samsung development meetings:

So what could copy this quarter? Anybody?

Sony is coming out with a 46" TV, let's make one that is 47"

Next...

iPad Mini seems to be selling well...

What size was it?

7.9".

Let's make one at 8", and we will call it Galaxy Note 8!

Next...

That's always been their style of working. Just that it is affecting apple now.

post #39 of 104

where Apple goes, Samsung follows. And they wonder why Apple sues the s out of them. 

post #40 of 104
Quote:

I agree but only on behalf of my artistic better half. She can draw very well on the iPad with her finger but hates doing it that way.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung to take on Apple's iPad mini with 8-inch Galaxy Note