or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung to take on Apple's iPad mini with 8-inch Galaxy Note

Samsung to take on Apple's iPad mini with 8-inch Galaxy Note - Page 2

post #41 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is psychotic. And people actually want Apple to become more like this? No.

Not exactly. No one is asking Apple to make 20 different screen sizes.

I would just like one more screen size... something north of 4"

Like I said in another thread... Apple's phones have a maximum of 4" while other flagship phones have a minimum of at least 4.3"

There's got to be another sweet spot between 4" and 5.5"
post #42 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

All the current styluses for the iPad are just acting like "fake fingers," with the exception of the new one that I mentioned from a third party with a third party API (can't remember the name just now).  In other words they aren't really styluses at all.

The Galaxy Note uses a "real" stylus that's pressure sensitive and works in concert with your fingers, not just as another finger.  Basically it works like a Wacom stylus.  

1. The Pogo Connect is available now:  http://www.tenonedesign.com/connect.php

2. The Jot Touch is due soon: http://adonit.net/jot/touch/

Cheers

post #43 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

This is comparing apples to oranges. iPad mini is not a phone. Samsung Note series are smartphones. Note is being subsidized heavily by AT&T and Verizon. This is Samsung's marketing strategy.

No, actually its not just smartphones. They have the galaxy Note 10.1 which can have cellular capabilities, but was first sold as a wifi tablet.

post #44 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I have never once thought, "Wow, I could really use a stylus right now"

Oh, I did.

I received a cheap Android tablet as a prize and its screen was so insensitive that using it with your fingers was almost impossible, so you had to use the enclosed stylus. When the stylus was lost, I said "Wow, I could really use a stylus right now".

Of course, I doubt if that's what Gazoobee had in mind.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #45 of 104
Quote:

This is great because it's more reason for Apple to compete by (finally!) adding stylus capability to the iPad lineup.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/10/2925937/best-stylus-ipad-review

post #46 of 104

"Samsung has already taken cues from Apple -- both in product design and marketing -- as it seeks to build a high-value brand for itself, one approaching that of its main rival."

This should really read:  "Samsung has already copied from Apple -- both in product design and marketing -- as it seeks to build a low-value brand for itself, one stealing from that of its main rival."

post #47 of 104

I think he might mean a digitizer by "adding stylus capability." I'd certainly like to see that added despite having no interest myself in using an iPad that way.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #48 of 104
Sony has a new Xperia Tablet Z coming to market that is thinner than the iPad mini. Still dislike the 16:9 aspect ratio but it looks nice. No word yet on if it will come to the US.

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-sony-xperia-tablet-z-thin-ipad-mini-20130121,0,951583.story

post #49 of 104
Quote:

This is great because it's more reason for Apple to compete by (finally!) adding stylus capability to the iPad lineup.

Stylus capability has been there since the first iPhone. Just not the kind you want.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #50 of 104
Quote:

All the current styluses for the iPad are just acting like "fake fingers," with the exception of the new one that I mentioned from a third party with a third party API (can't remember the name just now).  In other words they aren't really styluses at all.  

The Galaxy Note uses a "real" stylus that's pressure sensitive and works in concert with your fingers, not just as another finger.  Basically it works like a Wacom stylus.  

I'm curious. How many folks using that Note with its 'real' stylus have gotten on the cover of the New Yorker.

post #51 of 104
I guess a few more variations can't hurt, right? I mean, there has to be a huge difference between the Galaxy Note 10.1 and the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 to make and market both? You know, I think this opens the door for them to make a Galaxy Tab 2 8 (8.0??) now, since they appear to like to pair a Galaxy Note with a Galaxy Tab.

Over the last 2 years:

Galaxy Note 10.1
Galaxy Note 8
Nexus 10
Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Galaxy Tab 10.1
Galaxy Tab 8.9
Galaxy Tab 7.7
Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus
Galaxy Tab

I'm sure there are more/others i've missed. And these are just the Android tablets.
post #52 of 104
Originally Posted by Jonteponte View Post
It seems Samsung are too. Someone posted this on TheVerge forums:

• 2.80 Galaxy 5/Europa
  • 3.14 Galaxy Mini
  • 3.20 Galaxy 3/Apollo
  • 3.50 Galaxy Ace
  • 3.65 Galaxy Player 3.6
  • 4.00 Galaxy S, S III Mini, Player 4.0
  • 4.20 Galaxy Player 4.2
  • 4.27 Galaxy S II
  • 4.50 Galaxy S II Skyrocket, Infuse 4G
  • 4.52 Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
  • 4.65 Galaxy S II HD LTE, Galaxy Nexus
  • 4.80 Galaxy S III
  • 5.00 Galaxy Player 5.0
  • 5.29 Galaxy Note
  • 5.55 Galaxy Note II
  • 5.80 Galaxy Player 5.8
  • 7.00 Galaxy Tab, Tab 7.0 Plus, Tab 2 7.0
  • 7.70 Galaxy Tab 7.7
  • 8.00 Galaxy Note 8.0?
  • 8.90 Galaxy Tab 8.9
  • 10.10 Galaxy Tab 10.1, Tab 2 10.1, Note 10.1
  •  
    ...  and of course the Nexus 10 aaaaand this (8.0). And this are only the Galaxy branded ones...

Reminds me of the Pro Hart carpet tvc's from years back, except the gunk thrown onto the carpet here doesn't coalesce into any discernible image. Just a mess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qb4n8yc2so

"Freedom to choose!" - laugh out loud.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #53 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I'm curious. How many folks using that Note with its 'real' stylus have gotten on the cover of the New Yorker.

It would be interesting to know how many Note users take advantage of the digitizer. It seems to have merit even if it will be a seldom-used option on the device.

post #54 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by trd105 View Post

No, actually its not just smartphones. They have the galaxy Note 10.1 which can have cellular capabilities, but was first sold as a wifi tablet.

Do you know cellular capabilities is not the same as using a phone?  For your info iPad mini also have cellular capabilities but it can not be used as a phone.  I was saying Samsung Note/Note II are marketed as a smartphone and receive lots of subsidy from AT&T and Verizon. 

post #55 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

"Samsung has already taken cues from Apple -- both in product design and marketing -- as it seeks to build a high-value brand for itself, one approaching that of its main rival."

This should really read:  "Samsung has already copied from Apple -- both in product design and marketing -- as it seeks to build a low-value brand for itself, one stealing from that of its main rival."

All too true.

post #56 of 104
Quote:

Well most don't need it, but if you want to draw (I do obviously), it's essential.  
All we can do now is fingerprint, which is fun, but not very productive.  
If most (which is probably 95%) then don't include it! If you need one, buy one, and one that BEST fits your needs. It's that simple.
post #57 of 104
  • [*] 2.80 Galaxy 5/Europa
    [*] 3.14 Galaxy Mini
    [*] 3.20 Galaxy 3/Apollo
    [*] 3.50 Galaxy Ace
    [*] 3.65 Galaxy Player 3.6
    [*] 4.00 Galaxy S, S III Mini, Player 4.0
    [*] 4.20 Galaxy Player 4.2
    [*] 4.27 Galaxy S II
    [*] 4.50 Galaxy S II Skyrocket, Infuse 4G
    [*] 4.52 Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
    [*] 4.65 Galaxy S II HD LTE, Galaxy Nexus
    [*] 4.80 Galaxy S III
    [*] 5.00 Galaxy Player 5.0
    [*] 5.29 Galaxy Note
    [*] 5.55 Galaxy Note II
    [*] 5.80 Galaxy Player 5.8
    [*] 7.00 Galaxy Tab, Tab 7.0 Plus, Tab 2 7.0
    [*] 7.70 Galaxy Tab 7.7
    [*] 8.00 Galaxy Note 8.0?
    [*] 8.90 Galaxy Tab 8.9
    [*] 10.10 Galaxy Tab 10.1, Tab 2 10.1, Note 10.1

...  and of course the Nexus 10 aaaaand this (8.0). And this are only the Galaxy branded ones...

Sammy is the master of the sh!tgun approach. Note it's not shotgun as the buckshot actually causes damage. Most of Sammy's products are just pure crap.

post #58 of 104
Quote:

• 2.80 Galaxy 5/Europa
  • 3.14 Galaxy Mini
  • ... etc

Of course, that's a list of devices over several years, not the display sizes available right now.

Still, it shows how a resolution independent UI allows a wider choice in sizes and resolution with resorting to pixel doubling or unused black strips.

post #59 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Now wait a second. This has the same resolution as the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in a smaller screen size meaning the picture should be better. So are the haters that complained about the iPad Mini resolution going to take back their complaints since the Mini has the same resolution as an iPad 2, but in a smaller screen as well?
No. I stand by my complaint that the iPad mini resolution sucks (FOR ME). And I wouldn't buy this thing either if only for this reason.

I love the mini form factor. I love how light it is. But I HATE the resolution. I have said time and again I don't think the 7" form factor is ideal for an iPad, and that is absolutely true for me. I have to zoom web pages constantly to read them, not a problem with the full iPad. Some links are entirely too small to accurately press with my fingers by default. Standard and smaller text is likewise entirely too small to be legible at this resolution, appearing quite jaggy. Much of the New York Times front page default layout is illegible to me. These are all problems with the mini, but not the iPad with Retina. And the thumb detection technology ain't all it's cracked up to be either. But that's me and how I use the iPad. In fact, I have an original iPad as well, and I have fewer of these problems with it than I do on the mini, despite having technically lower resolution because the display is larger.

When the mini with Retina display comes out, I have no doubt I will love it. But I will still need to zoom on far more pages than not in order to read and select some links. And at the end of the day, a thinner, lighter full sized iPad will be much better for my needs.

What other people need or accept is irrelevant to me. And I'm not the only person who feels this way about Retina display. As an entry level device it's terrific. But that's what it is, beyond the fact it may be more convenient for some over the full-sized iPad.
post #60 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

Samsung development meetings:

So what could copy this quarter? Anybody?

Sony is coming out with a 46" TV, let's make one that is 47"

Next...

iPad Mini seems to be selling well...

What size was it?

7.9".

Let's make one at 8", and we will call it Galaxy Note 8!

Mind you, Samsung released 7" Galaxy Tab back in 2010. One could argue that, in reducing size for iPad Mini, Apple actually followed mini tablets trend set by likes of Samsung, Amazon and B&N...
post #61 of 104
SO let me get this straight.

There are full sized 10" tablets and then the smaller 7" (or so) tablets for folks who want to minify.

And then there is Samsung... who decides to have their "mini" tab be hardly any different in size than the full size version?

LOL

Its like they are memory challenged.

I can hear the Samsung headquarters during R&D:

Samsung hardware Chief: "Our Tab is failing against the mighty iPad that it was knocked off from, but the iPad Mini has had criticism. Let's explore that vulnerability with our own 'Tab Mini!' It will compete head on with the iPad Mini, but be an inch BIGGER! mwahahahaha!"

Voice of Reason: "excuse me sir, if I may humbly add a thought to this wonderfully thought out plan of domination... if we make the Tab Mini bigger than the iPad Mini, we may face comparison to the full size iPad and our own full size Tab instead. That may not be favorable..."

Samsung Hardware Chief: ... You just don't understand why we do what we do.

One has to wonder why Samsung feels the need to be blatantly stupid in their desire to compete with Apple. I guess anything goes, especially if you can get away with blatant IP theft and hardware/software design plagiarism...
post #62 of 104

So Samsung is copying Apple copying Samsung tablet?

post #63 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Mind you, Samsung released 7" Galaxy Tab back in 2010. One could argue that, in reducing size for iPad Mini, Apple actually followed mini tablets trend set by likes of Samsung, Amazon and B&N...
Nah we got 7" tablets because Amazon etc. realized the only way they could compete with IPad was on price. There's already been rumors that Amazon is cutting back production on the larger sized Fire HD because it isn't selling as well. 7" tablets took off because they were cheap. If Apple was just a copycat they would have released a cheap, plastic smaller iPad but that's not what they did.
post #64 of 104
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post
So Samsung is copying Apple copying Samsung tablet?

If you listen to the Anti-Apple Brigade, yep.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #65 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

No argument necessary.   The facts came out in trial evidence.  Apple made a Mini after Senior Vice President Eddy Cue  tried a 7" Samsung Tab and found the experience to be "very compelling":

post #66 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Of course, that's a list of devices over several years, not the display sizes available right now.

Still, it shows how a 
resolution independent UI allows a wider choice in sizes and resolution with resorting to pixel doubling or unused black strips.

That's a difference between android and iOS. Android scales up phone size apps while iOS prefers developers design a more productive app with the additional real estate a tablet offers.
post #67 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicapt View Post

1. The Pogo Connect is available now:  http://www.tenonedesign.com/connect.php
2. The Jot Touch is due soon: http://adonit.net/jot/touch/

Cheers

Unfortunately neither one comes close to the user experience or pressure sensitivity of a Wacom! Artists like me want to replace their Wacom with an iPad, were not quite there yet. I really thought this would've been an apple accessory by now given the amount of artists who use Apple products.
post #68 of 104
"the Note 8.0 ? which will join the Galaxy Notes 2 and 10.1 in Samsung's stylus-enabled lineup"

Ok, so based on their naming scheme, they have a 10.1in tablet, a new 8in one, and a 2in one.... Am I right?
post #69 of 104
Quote:

The list of their phones is even more bizarre:
  1. Samsung Galaxy i7500
  2. Samsung Galaxy Spica i5700
  3. Samsung Galaxy Portal
  4. Samsung Galaxy S (GT-I9000)
  5. Samsung Vibrant
  6. Samsung Fascinate
  7. Samsung Epic 4G
  8. Samsung Mesmerize
  9. Samsung Galaxy 3 (i5800)
  10. Samsung Galaxy 5 (i5500)
  11. Samsung Galaxy 550
  12. Samsung Galaxy U
  13. Samsung Galaxy 551[Note 1]
  14. Samsung Galaxy K
  15. Samsung Galaxy Ace (GT-S5830i)
  16. Samsung Galaxy Fit (S5670)
  17. Samsung Galaxy SL (GT-I9003)
  18. Samsung Galaxy Gio (GT-S5660)
  19. Samsung Galaxy Mini (GT-S5570)
  20. Samsung Galaxy Prevail (SPH-M820)
  21. Samsung Galaxy Pro
  22. Samsung Galaxy Neo
  23. Samsung Galaxy S II (GT-I9100)
  24. Samsung Captivate Glide
  25. Samsung Exhibit 4G
  26. Samsung Galaxy Z
  27. Samsung Galaxy S Plus (GT-i9001)[Note 1]
  28. Samsung Galaxy R (I9103)[Note 1]
  29. Samsung Galaxy W (I8150)[Note 1]
  30. Samsung Galaxy M [Note 1]
  31. Samsung Galaxy Y (GT-S5360)[Note 1]
  32. Samsung Galaxy Precedent
  33. Samsung Galaxy XCover (S5690)
  34. Samsung Stratosphere[Note 1]
  35. Samsung Galaxy Nexus (i9250)
  36. Samsung Galaxy Y Pro Duos
  37. Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus
  38. Samsung Galaxy Ace 2
  39. Samsung Galaxy Mini 2
  40. Samsung Galaxy Beam (i8520)
  41. Samsung Galaxy Pocket
  42. Samsung Galaxy S Advance
  43. Samsung Galaxy S III (GT-i9300)
  44. Samsung Galaxy Appeal (SGH-I827)
  45. Samsung Galaxy Stellar (SCH-I200)
  46. Samsung Galaxy S Duos
  47. Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE (SPH-L300)
  48. Samsung Galaxy Reverb (SPH-M950)
  49. Samsung Galaxy Rush (SPH-M830)
  50. Samsung Galaxy Express (SGH-I437)
  51. Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro (SGH-I547)
  52. Samsung Galaxy S III Mini (GT-I8190)

And that is just their Galaxy phones; they have more lines than this one. Their US website gives me 152 models with the majority not being a Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Still, it shows how a resolution independent UI allows a wider choice in sizes and resolution with resorting to pixel doubling or unused black strips.

And that is clearly the wrong approach to good design. Samsung doesn't feel the need to take a good look at the resulting product but only thinks of a way to do less work than needed. Whereas Apple gave the new AR of the iPhone5 a thorough thought and made good use of the extra pixels. Almost every app was redesigned, dvelopers following. If they hadn't things would've looked like old school 4:3 stretched for a 16:9 screen.
post #70 of 104
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro

This thing had better either come with one of those thick-knit, long-sleeved collared shirts or have a cloth collar sewn right onto the device. Otherwise I'd be disappointed.

post #71 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Do you know cellular capabilities is not the same as using a phone?  For your info iPad mini also have cellular capabilities but it can not be used as a phone.  I was saying Samsung Note/Note II are marketed as a smartphone and receive lots of subsidy from AT&T and Verizon. 

I understand that the iPad mini is not a phone. But neither is this. This is a tablet. So therefore this is comparing apples to apples.  And AFAIK Verizon has stopped subsidizing tablets. You have to pay for tablets outright and then can put it on a shared plan for $10 a month.

EDIT- Obviously "cellular capabilities" was not the right term to use. But my point still stands. This is not a phone, this is a tablet and tablets are not subsidized by Verizon any longer.

Edited by trd105 - 1/21/13 at 9:40pm
post #72 of 104
I am interested in this samsung new note, make it also a phone and high speed data device with good hardware and im sold.
As for the stylus...if you never thought "wow,a mouse or stylus would make this better" thenthis feature is not for you BUT...for Virtual networking into another full computer or graphic features of programs a mouse or stylus is indispensible. So if your tablet use case is consume mediaor limited functions you don't need something to interact better BUT again you shouldn't tell others that want a device that can be a do everything device that a feature no in your use case shouldn't be in theirs.
I am excited by stylus interaction as will anyone who uses a graphics table the ability to see the stylus marks on the image is fantastic.
post #73 of 104

Pretty loose meaning of 'take on'. Why would this tablet suddenly matter? Did everyone forget the complete piece of shit Note10.1, that was completely evicerated in reviews by even diehard Android fansites? The one where it bends and creaks as soon as you touch it, has the most horrible build quality known to man, and somehow managed to be sluggish as **** even while having high end specs with the abomination that is touchwiz?

Yeah, I'll take an 8 inch version please. 

post #74 of 104
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro

This thing had better either come with one of those thick-knit, long-sleeved collared shirts or have a cloth collar sewn right onto the device. Otherwise I'd be disappointed.

Sorry mate, it doesn't ¡

They do have an water resistant phone, IP67 no less:

post #75 of 104
Blah.

Sounds like a great plan.

Since all other Smash-sung tablets are doing so well and obviously crushing that iPad piece of crap, let's spend a few more millions and make yet another award winning tablet.

/s

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #76 of 104
Quote:

I have, but that was to stab someone, does it count?

post #77 of 104
Quote:

You haven't been told? Apple is going to push out:

- iPhone Math (that one obviously is used to compute the other models' differences)

- iPhone Mini

- iPhone Nano

- iPhone CoffeeMachine

- iPhone Standard Edition

- iPhone Ultimate

- iPhone Enterprise Edition

All of these, of course, in 6 capacities (16, 32, 64, 128, 37.5 and 72.8 GB), and 6 colors (Opale Yellow, Argile Green, Sky Blue, Product (Red), Ghay Pink, Philboogie Oranje), which will at last bring Apple's offering to a reasonable number of 252 models, not withstanding the build-to-order options of FM-radio, integrated stylus, and one-more-thing but I'm not allowed to disclose this yet.

Edit: I have to disclose that I have very reliable internal sources such as Digitimes and AppleInsider, so all I just said should be taken as the Word of God.

post #78 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

- iPhone CoffeeMachine

That made me think of this one
post #79 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtacee1990 View Post

where Apple goes, Samsung follows. And they wonder why Apple sues the s out of them. 

Samsung believes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

Having sees some peoples creating breathtaking illustration with a iPad on Youtube and elsewhere, I think a glove solve most of the screen touching issue and the touch screen precision seams more than enough once you get use to it.  

I got artist colleagues using iPad and Nexus tablets to draw. They're happy and they're productive, though they're more productive with the Cintiq...

I don't agree with people bashing the tablets for not having a stylus. Too many artists achieve breathtaking results without the need for a stylus to not disprove that claim.

Quote:

I just want the iPad to work the same way as it works in real life with pen and paper.  I flip the pages with my fingers, but when I go to draw on it, I want to rest my hand on the paper and draw with an accurate stylus the same way everyone always has.  Right now you have to do some serious gymnastics to avoid touching the screen, hold the pen at an unnatural angle, and even then ... you have to constantly zoom in and out for the details because the pen is basically as accurate as a sausage. 

Styluses to write or make marks with have been with us, and hardly changed at all, since neolithic days.  I'm not convinced that they are no longer needed or the fact that I can scribble a line with my finger on the iPad is a good replacement. 

Ach, das is vhy cherman enchineers should not design ztylus.

Sorry, could not help picture a Frankfurt-sausage-stylus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

I have thought MANY times I would use an iPad if it had a stylus.

Good news: you don't need a stylus to use an iPad. Since I'm nice, I'll even give you the url, now that you know that your problem is inexistent: www.apple.com/ipad

Have a nice buying session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Samsung is a pretender... One that over compensates with its large scale marketing budget

Just think of what they could achieve moving half of that budget to the R&D and design departments.

post #80 of 104
Quote:

I still read the articles, but I'm starting to give up on the forums - there's a few realists, sure - but the rest have circled the wagons in a circle of denial that the Asian (aided and abetted by Google) invasion is evolving faster than Apple is innovating, and that the strategies that work when one has a new device class to themselves won't keep working if all the new releases are simply iterative, even if well-executed.

And I personally think the management of Apple is very bright, dedicated and competent at what they do.  But also think they haven't replaced that departed "disruptive gene" in their makeup since Steve Jobs died.  It's always an evolving tech world, and corporations can never just keep doing what they've been doing with incremental iterations as the market changes.  And so far, Apple's singular strategy is becoming less competitive in the world of the Android assault where they no longer have "first mover" advantage in any line of business they're in.

Leaving the question, not is Samsung evil, rather, who at Apple is going to demonstrate that the company is still the master of the end-around play that will put the competition back on its heels again for another few years and restores Apple's cachet as both disruptor and true innovator? 

Ives refines things.  Cook manages things.  Schiller markets things.  Etc.  But who at Apple is going to come up with and shepherd the next NEW THING from concept to roll-out as Jobs did - often having to roll over internal opposition in the process - at least 4 or 5 times?

The question has NOT yet been answered.  And certainly not by the entire round of updates in 2012 - the largest number of new releases, but all simply arguably improved versions of existing products. With overly spendy MBPr's, nifty MBA's, a nicer, lighter phone that nonetheless is beginning to look like a miniature, despite the (actually now somewhat compromised) purity of its one-handed ergonomics, the (IMO) less desirable form factor of the Nano, no storage increase across the iDevice line, no SDK for the ATV, flashy but less serviceable iMacs (with actually dumb things like an SD slot in the back), and also purity to Steve's notion that touch screen enablement on Macs implies muscle arms, although Apple's the company that taught us to just reach out and touch our devices, and one would only have to access items by touch when it was the most intuitive thing to do. 

To me, they seem locked in their own RDF without their founder - riding the horses that brung 'em to the top, but no new horse in sight for the next leg of the race.

And much like Apple apparently (though I'm hoping they'll prove me wrong), the posters are simply re-iterating stale memes, with chants of "Samsung is evil," Apple "still" leads in profitability, "Samsung steals, has no imagination, etc., etc." while that company executes its business plan at a machine-gun rate of new SKU's.  It's not Apple's strategy, but it's working for them.....  ...and all of the emerging form factors (including offerings from WinWorld) are finding - and will continue to find their niches.  Apple is also eschewing participating in the largely now silly, but someday pervasive "Internet of things," which may also come back to bite them. 

Meanwhile, no single device may outsell the Apple entry nearest its category, and certainly are likely to bring in more profit in 2013 or even '14, but cumulatively there are at least a few echoes of "it's the '80's all over again."  Not that I'm saying Apple will face dire straights or anything like extinction, but they do stand to lose their image as the great leaders of the new "ecosystem of the future." and become just another huge tech company among others.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung to take on Apple's iPad mini with 8-inch Galaxy Note