or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Earnings call is Apple's opportunity to 'change the tone of the conversation'

Earnings call is Apple's opportunity to 'change the tone of the conversation'

post #1 of 50
Apple is in a position to work some of its "magic" during this week's quarterly earnings conference call, which could erase the negative sentiment that his surrounded the company's stock for months.

Analyst Chris Whitmore of Deutsche Bank believes Apple needs to take charge with Wednesday's conference call, he said in a note to investors. By doing so, the company could "reinvigorate excitement" among investors, and also "rekindle its past PR magic."

"The news cycle on Apple has turned decidedly negative following the iPhone 5 launch, the Maps snafu, traction from competitors in the 5-inch and 6-inch Android space, and general perception from the media that Apple has lost its mojo," Whitmore said. "Apple needs to change the tone of the conversation."

Cook & Oppenheimer
Apple CEO Tim Cook and CFO Peter Oppenheimer will lead Wednesday's earnings call.

He expects the focal point of Apple's call on Wednesday will be the state of iPhone demand into 2013. Whitmore's own checks with carriers have found that iPhone 5 demand remains healthy, and he has dismissed recent concerns regarding reductions in component orders as "overblown."

While he believes Apple will attempt to take control with Wednesday's call, don't expect the company to reveal insight into its future product pipeline. Apple has always maintained its secrecy during investor calls and executives refuse to respond to inquiries about potential future plans.

"Although we don't expect Apple to comment on new products in conjunction with its earnings release, we believe new products (iPhone segmentation, iPad mini with Retina display, refreshed iPad and an Apple TV) are on the horizon, which should improve Apple's growth outlook," he said.

Apple will report its earnings after the market closes on Wednesday, and a conference call featuring Chief Executive Tim Cook and Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer will follow at 5 p.m. Eastern. AppleInsider will have full live coverage.

For a closer look of Apple's first quarter earnings for fiscal 2013, see AppleInsider's in-depth preview, featuring Wall Street expectations for revenue, margins, and individual product sales.
post #2 of 50

Dear manipulators,

Get bent.

Sincerely,

Tim Cook, et. al.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #3 of 50
Changing the public's perception starts with changing the media's. The media seems hell bent on promoting every negative rumor they can if it paints Apple as failing.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #4 of 50
If rumors are correct, Tim Cook, unlike SJ, is openly more concerned with stock price. Of course, after SJ's passing, Apple stock went into orbit, so SJ was not tested in that new environment.

Tim Cook certainly must be concerned with the recent stock decline. My concern with Apple continues to be the paucity of innovative minds at the top of Apple. SJ Ive Forstall were key players. Forstall self-destructed, SJ gone. Can Ive do it alone? Not likely. He's significantly outnumbered.
post #5 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Changing the public's perception starts with changing the media's. The media seems hell bent on promoting every negative rumor they can if it paints Apple as failing.

But the media craves Apple news because it gets eyeballs. Negative news getting more eyeballs is just the way it goes. So long as Apple has all the mindshare this will not change.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #6 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Dear manipulators,

Get bent.

Sincerely,

Tim Cook, et. al.

It's important to recognize that, quite possibly, the "manipulators" who have kept $AAPL below $550 may well as the ones responsible for the surge during the summer. 

post #7 of 50
Cook: Eff you, stock manipulators. More record setting numbers that you should choke on. Again who in their frakking mind would think we would order 65MM LCDs for a non holiday quarter. Eff all of you.
post #8 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

If rumors are correct, Tim Cook, unlike SJ, is openly more concerned with stock price. Of course, after SJ's passing, Apple stock went into orbit, so SJ was not tested in that new environment.

Tim Cook certainly must be concerned with the recent stock decline. My concern with Apple continues to be the paucity of innovative minds at the top of Apple. SJ Ive Forstall were key players. Forstall self-destructed, SJ gone. Can Ive do it alone? Not likely. He's significantly outnumbered.

Apple stock up 20% since Cook took over. Outside of Ive, the rest of Apple employees are mindless drones.
post #9 of 50
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
Outside of Ive, the rest of Apple employees are mindless drones.

¡

post #10 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

¡

I didn't think I needed the tag for that.
post #11 of 50
Quote:

Can Ive do it alone?

The real opportunities for Apple may well be outside the realm of industrial design and more in the areas they faltered at in the past. The loss of Forestall, Fadell, and others may not be that material in that arena, and I don't think it is really where Ive shines.
post #12 of 50

Don't worry.

No matter how good these earnings are (and they will be wonderful!) there will be SOMETHING negative.

I don't know if it's going to be Mac sales, profit, or margins.  But within all the gold there will be one spec of dirt.

And that spec will inform the screaming headlines in the blogs.

And the stock will go down.

Why do I know this?  Because I need it to go up lol!

I love Apple.  I hate AAPL.

post #13 of 50
Isn't it interesting how Google didn't meet expectations and still went up 4%?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/google-profit-jumps-as-sales-surge-2013-01-22?siteid=bnbh
post #14 of 50
This how it will probably go:

Apple announces record sales stock price jumps up to 550 and beyond

Over next few weeks, media (controlled by: he who shall not be named, ahem, WSJ/CNET/.. and all the other blogosphere parasites) starts its next round of negativity on Apple, using the traditonal post holiday weak Qtr sales forecasts as an excuse to paint a picture of Apple losing ground, add to that they will jump on anything else negative and at the same time pumping up Samsung, MS and others. The stock price will fall again, after the major .: fund have taken a 550-490= 60/490 profit i.e.: about 12% profit, then will buy in again at the next low in preparation for next Qtr BS cycle. It must be fun doing this 4 times per year and making 50% on your money per year. The interesting part in all of this is how long can the people on the wrong side of these trades survive repeated losses? I guess they are already pretty much tapped out and exhausted because the share price isn't rebounding like a coiled spring as much now as it did a few years ago and consequently the heavy hitters have been really upping the amount of negative noise on trashing Apple. I think that Apple may become less of a PUMP&DUMP/ TRASH&BUY opportunity in future because much of trading volume will become mostly investors who are already wise to the game. Just check the volume and trade sizes and you will start to see that picture. At that point they will move on to new victims in the indexes.
post #15 of 50

media negativity abounds, and if Apple hits a home run, then it won't measure up to the "whisper" numbers, or the forward looking statements won't be strong enough.  It's a game of king of the hill, when you get to the top, everyone tries to pull you down.  The competition has a good aim point, the media loves to watch the mighty fall, and the manipulators love the game.  It's fun to watch the game, but the products are the best so who cares about the stock price.

post #16 of 50
Over the years, all I've heard is that Apple is nearing collapse. Every year, 'can Apple keep it up?' Even when Steve Jobs was in charge... When the iPad was introduced all the investors and news media were appalled - but the public loved it. Now everyone is scrambling to get in on the 'big iPod' bandwagon. iPhone 3gs - noone will buy it. iPhone 4s - oh no, we were expecting the iPhone 5. It never stops, ever. Whether Apple is going up or down, the headlines will always be the same. When the iPhone 5 came out - we're dissapointed, it's just a bigger screen, faster processor, and slimmer design, how is that an upgrade?
post #17 of 50
WSJ wins! Now Apple has to answer to the all-powerful media! Hahahaha!!! Suck on it, Apple! /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #18 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Because that's what they do: build you up just to tear you down later. It's happened to everyone, from Sony to Samsung to Sears, and now it's Apple's turn on the spit.

post #19 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

WSJ wins! Now Apple has to answer to the all-powerful media! Hahahaha!!! Suck on it, Apple! /s

Nikkei published an identical report, which turned out to be true. How the market interpreted the facts in that report is on the market, not WSJ or Nikkei. 

post #20 of 50
Quote:

So you don't believe Ive when he talks about the brilliant people he has working around him?

I would be very surprised if he didn't.
post #21 of 50
Quote:

Why "must" he be concerned? AAPL is still on an upward trajectory. The $700 stock price was an aberration based on their consistent growth curve. Look at their 5 year and 10 year progression. This isn't a game of quarters for Apple. Dumb money will chase any growth stock.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #22 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

Over the years, all I've heard is that Apple is nearing collapse. Every year, 'can Apple keep it up?' Even when Steve Jobs was in charge... When the iPad was introduced all the investors and news media were appalled - but the public loved it. Now everyone is scrambling to get in on the 'big iPod' bandwagon. iPhone 3gs - noone will buy it. iPhone 4s - oh no, we were expecting the iPhone 5. It never stops, ever. Whether Apple is going up or down, the headlines will always be the same. When the iPhone 5 came out - we're dissapointed, it's just a bigger screen, faster processor, and slimmer design, how is that an upgrade?

Analysts promote their advice to neurotics. No sane investor would listen to those cretins.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #23 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

But the media craves Apple news because it gets eyeballs. Negative news getting more eyeballs is just the way it goes. So long as Apple has all the mindshare this will not change.

It's actually mind boggling at how much praise and critique Apple gets from the media.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #24 of 50
Quote:

Apple stock up 20% since Cook took over. Outside of Ive, the rest of Apple employees are mindless drones.

Ignorance sure must be blissful. You obviously don't know any Apple employees personally. 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

post #25 of 50

WTF. Why the hell should Apple be doing damage control?!

They have spent billions and utilized the best talent in the wold to make world class products while them lazy ass wall street pimps and them equally lazy ass investors sit on their lazy asses as the billions roll in.

How disgusting!

post #26 of 50
Google is up 5% after market. We'll see what Apple does tomorrow. My guess is even with a blowout quarter the stock will be down because guidance will be soft.
post #27 of 50
I didn't think I needed the tag for that.

You'd think so, and so did I, but…

Originally Posted by emig647 View Post
Ignorance sure must be blissful. You obviously don't know any Apple employees personally. 

*cough*

post #28 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65C816 View Post

Isn't it interesting how Google didn't meet expectations and still went up 4%?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/google-profit-jumps-as-sales-surge-2013-01-22?siteid=bnbh

It's how it's been setup to work. If you have a direct link between the value and the goods, you can't manipulate it very easily to make a profit. When you have values that are really only based on people's perception of worth (to an extent this is true of everything but it's much more disconnected with certain things), you can affect the price much more easily. It's like the property market when it crashed. The house hasn't changed, it's just valued lower because of what people are willing to pay for it and that can be caused by just suggesting it's a bad time to buy because then buyers don't buy so demand goes down along with the prices.

Tim should really play them at their own game. He should just say they didn't sell a single iPhone in the last quarter so the price doesn't go back up.

Apple has no debt, is one of the most innovative companies in the world, is consistently delivering new products that people line up for, makes more profit than anyone in the sectors they are in and yet the stock goes down.
Dell makes rubbish products, has poor margins, is only really in industries that have poor or negative growth and one hint of privatisation and the value goes up.
It's complete nonsense but as long as people keep making a quick buck without doing any work, they ain't complaining.
post #29 of 50

Just quit looking at the stock price.

Really. What has it got to do with what Apple is doing?

Does Apple need the share price to be at $750 to continue doing what they are doing?

Apple will continue until it doesn't.

I want to see continued product innovation, increased production, and hopefully better market share as time goes on.

Share price for Apple will continue to be a pain in the backside but does it really change anything.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #30 of 50
The loss of Forstall was a plus. He was not very well like in the Apple hierarchy.

Eph

Eph

post #31 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's how it's been setup to work. If you have a direct link between the value and the goods, you can't manipulate it very easily to make a profit. When you have values that are really only based on people's perception of worth (to an extent this is true of everything but it's much more disconnected with certain things), you can affect the price much more easily. It's like the property market when it crashed. The house hasn't changed, it's just valued lower because of what people are willing to pay for it and that can be caused by just suggesting it's a bad time to buy because then buyers don't buy so demand goes down along with the prices.

Tim should really play them at their own game. He should just say they didn't sell a single iPhone in the last quarter so the price doesn't go back up.

Apple has no debt, is one of the most innovative companies in the world, is consistently delivering new products that people line up for, makes more profit than anyone in the sectors they are in and yet the stock goes down.
Dell makes rubbish products, has poor margins, is only really in industries that have poor or negative growth and one hint of privatisation and the value goes up.
It's complete nonsense but as long as people keep making a quick buck without doing any work, they ain't complaining.

While your perception theory is interesting, I'd offer that Google's stock price went up 4% because the OP is right.  Google did not meet expectations.  They exceeded them.  If a company exceeds market expectations their price generally goes up.  (Google exceeded in profits but missed in revenue.  Profit is going to get the nod over revenue in most anyones book).

Tim shouldn't play their game at all.  He can go to jail for that.  Its actually why Wall Street analysts expectations are almost universally higher than any companies estimates.  That is not a problem unique to Apple.  If Apple paints a rosier picture to drive the stock price up and then fails to meet, they can get sued for that.  It's got real teeth nowadays as part of the aftermath of that whole Enron thing a few years back.  If he paints your dismal picture and the stock plumets as a result, the AppleInsider lynch mob will be at his door in no time.  He should mostly ignore the markets (they will eventually adjust to reality either way- whether that turns out to be good or bad for the share price) and keep Apple focused on doing what they do best:

Apple has no debt, is one of the most innovative companies in the world, is consistently delivering new products that people line up for, makes more profit than anyone in the sectors they are in and yet the stock goes down. which is why Wall Street has rewarded them with being by far the highest valued company in the world.

Finally something we agree on.  As long as they sell tons of phones and new products and make more profits than anyone else- they will continue to support that valuation.  The minute it looks like they are not selling as many phones as expected or especially if their margins start dropping- then they are worth less than they were when they had higher margins and their shares should drop in value accordingly.

So my prediction is simple.  If Apple reports that they sold more phones than expected at higher margins than expected- Apple shares will soar!  If Apple sold fewer phones than expected at lower margins than expected- Apple shares will plummet! If Apple sold more phones than expected at lower margins than expected- Apple shares will drop some!  Margins are critical to Apple's valuation and a drop in them would still leave Apple with a very rosy outlook, just not one quite as rosy as their current one.  Any unexpected good news from Tim's recent visit to China could change things considerably and Apple could soar even if their margins slipped a little.  My best guess is unit sales will exceed but margins will drop and that will weigh Apples shares slightly.  I'm hoping I'm wrong.  The wild card of China is still in play even if it isn't announced tomorrow though.

You make it sound like the market works differently or favors Dell.  Seriously?  While I don't agree their products are junk, I do agree their margins are tiny and their market is shrivelling dramatically.  Has the market rewarded Dell for that?   Lets see- their current share price is about half what it was going for LESS THAN A YEAR AGO.  I'd say the market has 'rewarded' them far more than it has Apple.  Rightfully so- their outleak is bleaker than Apple's.  Did they get a jump because someone is thinking of privatizing them?  You betcha.  But that would happen to any company- even the 'Wall Street hated' Apple (if anyone had enough money to buy them).

Saying 'Apple is doing better than Dell so its share price shouldn't drop' doesn't really make sense.  Its share price should go up or down based on how it is performing relative to its own current valuation.  Apples shares could drop to 1/10th of their current value.  Say $50 a share.  Ouch!!(and not going to happen) They would still be valued at a market cap more than double Dell's.

Edited by Frood - 1/22/13 at 5:22pm
post #32 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

While your perception theory is interesting, I'd offer that Google's stock price went up 4% because the OP is right.  Google did not meet expectations.  They exceeded them.  If a company exceeds market expectations their price generally goes up.  (Google exceeded in profits but missed in revenue.  Profit is going to get the nod over revenue in most anyones book).

Please explain the price of AMZN using your thesis.
post #33 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Dumb money will chase any growth stock.

Well said.
post #34 of 50
To me it's simple. A few executives decided to cash out some chips, and ended up getting paid. Then after that others followed along, and got paid. Now the price is around 500, and others can now play the field, and speculate if they want to make money or not. Al Gore decided, and dropped in and bought shares/options, maybe others will invest maybe not. It's how the stock market works, and how GOOD Companies, MAKE money for investors. But for some reason the haters and doubters see it as an opportunity to say the sky is falling. Just dumb... There could be a drought for a little while, I mean if you think about the iPhone happening was a big thing. Maybe the Apple iTV or whatever will be big? Who knows... I mean the stock price was going crazy up for so long just riding the iPhone and then iPad for 5 years . Now everybody has an iPhone, that's going to buy one. Move on as we normally do...
Adobe Systems - "Preventing the Case-Sensitive revolution everyday..."
Adobe Systems - "Preventing the Case-Sensitive revolution everyday..."
post #35 of 50

People here like to complain about manipulation in AAPL, which if you really think about it objectively, is nearly impossible to do for the multiple billions that many groups of hedge funds and market makers need to even move the needle ever so slightly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezwits View Post

To me it's simple. A few executives decided to cash out some chips, and ended up getting paid. Then after that others followed along, and got paid. Now the price is around 500, and others can now play the field, and speculate if they want to make money or not. Al Gore decided, and dropped in and bought shares/options, maybe others will invest maybe not. It's how the stock market works, and how GOOD Companies, MAKE money for investors. But for some reason the haters and doubters see it as an opportunity to say the sky is falling. Just dumb... There could be a drought for a little while, I mean if you think about the iPhone happening was a big thing. Maybe the Apple iTV or whatever will be big? Who knows... I mean the stock price was going crazy up for so long just riding the iPhone and then iPad for 5 years . Now everybody has an iPhone, that's going to buy one. Move on as we normally do...

No, Gore did not buy stocks or options, he exercised options that he had from 10 yrs ago that are way way in the money already, and the only explanation for doing that now is he's getting ready to sell and cash out his shares after earning, which is no more bullish than a Tim Cook's PR silence technique to aid the AAPL bag holders.

post #36 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Please explain the price of AMZN using your thesis.

I too am waiting for his priceless answer.

post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood 
If a company exceeds market expectations their price generally goes up.

The minute it looks like they are not selling as many phones as expected or especially if their margins start dropping- then they are worth less than they were when they had higher margins and their shares should drop in value accordingly.

The value drops before we know for a fact this is the case. Apple hasn't said anything about the sales yet. Shouldn't the stock value reflect the facts about how well the company is doing rather than how well people think they are doing?
Quote:
So my prediction is simple.  If Apple reports that they sold more phones than expected at higher margins than expected- Apple shares will soar!  If Apple sold fewer phones than expected at lower margins than expected- Apple shares will plummet!

You know it doesn't work like that though. It should but it doesn't.
Quote:
You make it sound like the market works differently or favors Dell.  Seriously?

More that it favours opinions and feelings over facts. It makes it more volatile than it needs to be and while this makes it more interesting, it also brings it closer to gambling when it should be more like retail. The price of the iPhone isn't dropping because of how people feel about Apple. They are still selling at a high price because people are still buying while competitors like Amazon and Google sell products at break-even and Samsung at low margins.
Quote:
Did they get a jump because someone is thinking of privatizing them?  You betcha.

Again, not facts though. It's a valuation based on what might happen. If it doesn't happen then it goes down but during that period, absolutely nothing has changed about Dell's earning potential so the fluctuation in the value is meaningless, which makes the whole valuation system meaningless if it's just going to be based on how people feel at a given time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingChael 
People here like to complain about manipulation in AAPL, which if you really think about it objectively, is nearly impossible to do for the multiple billions that many groups of hedge funds and market makers need to even move the needle ever so slightly.

http://business.time.com/2012/10/22/viewpoint-how-wall-street-rigs-the-game/

That's from an executive director from Goldman Sachs. The size of the scam is irrelevant. Look at the Bernie Madoff scandal. Poor Kevin Bacon lost nearly everything.

"the most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly and with unflagging attention. It must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over. Here, as so often in this world, persistence is the first and most important requirement for success.

in the big lie there is always a certain force of credibility; because the broad masses of a nation are always more easily corrupted in the deeper strata of their emotional nature than consciously or voluntarily"

How often do we see this on AI, everybody knows the rumours are complete rubbish but within a few minutes they spread like wildfire through every blog. Each of them claiming to have valid sources enforcing a positive or negative message about Apple's well-being and over and over they repeat the lies (the iTV thing has been going for over 4 years). No matter how many billions are invested, it's all people controlling the buying and selling.
post #38 of 50

This seems to be the norm in the Tech industry.  The media always pulls for an underdog and builds them up.  The underdog doesn't have to be a small company.  A big company doing something very different in a new market (such as the iPhone and iPad) works.  Once they build them up, they wait for any sign their innovation is "slowing", then they're teardown them down and look for a new underdog.

I just think the honeymoon is over for Apple.  Just like Google was able to hide behind its "do no evil" mantra for years before they were called on it, Apple had a great reputation and avoided a lot of the negative press for years.  That's no longer true.  Their successful, and that's something many in America cannot stomach: success.  

Competitors are trying to ruin Apple's reputation as an innovator and make Apple look stale, and many in the press are more than happy to help out.  Much of the press is owned by content companies that have always have a love/hate relationship with Apple, so they were just waiting for an excuse to go after them.

I don't think this call will change any of that.  It might help investors, but I am confident the press will just find a new angle to come at Apple from.

By the way, I am not saying any of this is right  or fair for Apple, I just think it is the world they face now.  They're going to have to deal with all the negatives that come with being the largest tech company in the world.  

post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednival View Post

This seems to be the norm in the Tech industry.  The media always pulls for an underdog and builds them up.  The underdog doesn't have to be a small company.  A big company doing something very different in a new market (such as the iPhone and iPad) works.  Once they build them up, they wait for any sign their innovation is "slowing", then they're teardown them down and look for a new underdog.

I just think the honeymoon is over for Apple.  Just like Google was able to hide behind its "do no evil" mantra for years before they were called on it, Apple had a great reputation and avoided a lot of the negative press for years.  That's no longer true.  Their successful, and that's something many in America cannot stomach: success.  

Competitors are trying to ruin Apple's reputation as an innovator and make Apple look stale, and many in the press are more than happy to help out.  Much of the press is owned by content companies that have always have a love/hate relationship with Apple, so they were just waiting for an excuse to go after them.

I don't think this call will change any of that.  It might help investors, but I am confident the press will just find a new angle to come at Apple from.

By the way, I am not saying any of this is right  or fair for Apple, I just think it is the world they face now.  They're going to have to deal with all the negatives that come with being the largest tech company in the world.  

I can understand all of that and certainly expect that the media's infatuation fades after a way (they don't have the attention span for anything more serious). What drives me nuts about AAPL is how ridiculous it has gotten. Apple's forward, cash adjusted P/E is in the low 7s - well under half of the average stock on the market. By that logic, the market is expecting not only that Apple will stop growing, but that its profits are going to drop by 50% or more in the near future. That's just totally implausible.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednival View Post

I don't think Apple had a honeymoon. People have been predicting its demise since 1997. The media had questioned everything Apple has released since then too. Lately though is the media's insistence that they were right despite reality. They put out negative "reports" as if only Apple uses Chinese labor and make mountains out of mole hills.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Earnings call is Apple's opportunity to 'change the tone of the conversation'