or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon planned to make Siri an Android exclusive before Apple purchase

Verizon planned to make Siri an Android exclusive before Apple purchase - Page 2

post #41 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

I am replying with dictation but I don't think I can get used to this. It gets things wrong sometimes. Maybe it's just not used my voice.

At least using Siri for TXT avoids the often vulgar auto correction feature implemented when typing in iOS. lol.gif

Does anyone know a way to turn auto correction off yet leave spelling correction on so it just underlines with squiggly red lines the words it suspects are incorrect? It is particularly annoying when you speak more than one language. In my opinion, it is perfectly reasonable to be able to TXT in Spanish using an English keyboard except iOS doesn't seem to allow it. I would rather have mispelled words than complete nonsense any day. Siri is pretty useful for setting reminders but rather useless for text input because it is so tedious to go back to check everything and fix all the errors.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #42 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

The default shortcut to start dictation on your Mac is pressing the Function (Fn) key twice. The first time you try to start dictation, you'll be prompted to enable it.

Cool!  Is this only for OS 10.8.  Don't see it on my other Macs.

oneof52
oneof52
post #43 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneof52 View Post

Cool!  Is this only for OS 10.8.  Don't see it on my other Macs.

Yes. As far as I remember, it appeared with Mountain Lion

post #44 of 51

No concern either way here for Siri.

Not useful when I'm in public and not useful when sitting with others at home.

Perhaps I should try Siri before someone sues Apple over it, at home in private, for some Email and Note text.  1eek.gif

post #45 of 51
"Google: Martin van Buren" /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #46 of 51

I, too, thought Siri was a gimmick...until i got a chance to use it.  As another poster said, it's much more efficient to add reminders using Siri than using the touch interface.  It also works perfectly with the hands-free microphone built into my vehicle, whether it be choosing albums and playlists or texting my wife while I'm driving.  I can ask Siri about distance or time to the next turn or destination when using turn-by-turn navigation through the Maps app, so I don't even have to look at the map.

post #47 of 51
I havent used it all that much. I mostly use it to set timers while cooking or to look up things. I have used Siri to find directions and she has come through with flying colors. If I drove long distances I think she would be a life saver enableing me to reply to messages.
post #48 of 51

Siri rocks! However, I have found that I must speak slowly and enunciate each word. But it's less annoying than trying to type either on my iPhone or my iPad. Siri has become indispensable. Its use has become unconscious.

post #49 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Yup. For reminders, appointments, etc. Talking and no typing. Works for me.   *shrugs*

Same here. I also use it for quick email replies.
post #50 of 51
A alternative reality
post #51 of 51
I use it for writing text messages, looking up football scores, launching apps and just about everything. i particularly like the integration with Wolfgram Alpha. Plus of course I dictated this post in around 10 seconds.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon planned to make Siri an Android exclusive before Apple purchase