or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple earnings come in flat at $13.1B on sales of 47.8M iPhones, 22.9M iPads and 4.1M Macs

Apple earnings come in flat at $13.1B on sales of 47.8M iPhones, 22.9M iPads and 4.1M Macs - Page 2

post #41 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

It's not hilarious. Gross Margin is down from 44% to 38% That's a serious move. 2-3% would have been more in line. Stocks trade on forward potential, not past results - Apple may have had an ungodly quarter, but the future doesn't look as exponential; that's the key.

First of all GM was already guided and actual GM is in the upper range.

Second, relative to almost every other company AAPL's PE is still low.  Compare to GE and Amazon.  Show me a company with better potential (in terms of PE).

Third, your use of the word "exponential" is irrelevant.  Nobody is expecting exponential with relevance to AAPL and its share price.  It's just you who threw in that word as if it belongs anywhere in the context of this discussion.

But yes, I get your tone... and with regard to AAPL, it seems to be the predominant one.  But don't pretend that the market is not more sensitive/critical to AAPL than almost any other stock.

post #42 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

On these results it's more important than ever for Apple to release a multitude of different sized phones that are much, much cheaper because on news of a reduced profit margins the answer is surely dropping the margins even further¡

I was thinking about that earlier. It puts Tim in a hard place if he wants to placate shareholders. Dropping prices aint going to cut it... obviously. So the only way is to innovate their way out of this.

Seriously.... didn't you expect at least 50 million iPhones. I've been saying 50 million for a while now and even missing by 2 million is disappointing to me.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #43 of 148

And oh, BTW, the outlandish numbers come right from the heads of the supporters who still have this silly idea that iOS is marketleader...

Rough awakenings

post #44 of 148

Wow.  This is absolutely horrible, and people here are still trying to spin this in some way positive?? 

Absolutely brutal results and guidance, in every way.

post #45 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Right, because the 1000%+ increase since 1998 wasn't at any point along the way possibly a sense of the jitters to investors? Get real. This stock is nothing but a wet dream for hedge fund owners and day traders.

Paying to place false stories making outlandish targets a week before the numbers are officially out makes it rather clear Apple has at least 1 mole inside Austin's Accounting Department leaking numbers to insider traders.

The DoJ and the SEC have 4 years to dig in deep and follow the money.

Who looks at decade/decade in assessing performance in profitability? Not when it comes to valuing a stock in the present.

post #46 of 148

I'm on the conference call right now. Tim is getting through the introductions.

He just used "laser-focused" ;)

You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #47 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

It's a miss...
and the stock is being pummeled

As always, the goal posts keep shifting. Yesterday, the consensus was that Apple's profits would be down 2%. Apple exceeded that consensus - and everyone goes ape$hit because they're not up 15% from last year.

The next quarter projection is not that far off from where they've been - and still amounts to an increase from last year (while most of the computer industry is declining at double digit rates).

Mac sales? Of course they were off. They weren't selling the iMac for most of the quarter and it was severely constrained for the few weeks it was out. That was the biggest error Apple has made for a long time. They should have continued to sell the old one while waiting for the new.

As it is, you have a company that's still leading the industry by far, incredibly loyal customers, growing while most of the industry is shrinking, superb margins, and most innovative products on the market trading at a forward, cash adjusted PE of below 7. It's just absolutely ridiculous. I think I'm going to buy more AAPL tomorrow.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #48 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

2011, actually.

What year is this? Subtract 2 from that.
post #49 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

But yes, I get your tone... and with regard to AAPL, it seems to be the predominant one.  But don't pretend that the market is not more sensitive/critical to AAPL than almost any other stock.

Quite honestly, $AAPL is hardly the most "sensitive" or volatile stock. Hardly

post #50 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You really think so?

Up from where?

Up from where it closed at 4 today
post #51 of 148

I bought a few extra shares of AAPL last week. And today right before close, I was just sitting around, smoking a joint, and a little voice pops into my head. It tells me, don't be a moron and don't be emotionally attached to any stock, no matter how much you may like it, sell it now for a guaranteed small profit, instead of taking a big risk, like a degenerate, alcoholic gambler in Las Vegas. Wall Street's expectations for Apple are so ridiculously high, that almost anything besides absolute blowout numbers are a disappointment. So after a few more puffs, I sold, and I am sure glad that I did. 

I no longer invest exclusively in Apple, like I did when I first started. Frankly, I don't give a crap about which company that I put my money into for short term positions. The only thing that counts for me is if the stock goes up or down.

post #52 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

On these results it's more important than ever for Apple to release a multitude of different sized phones that are much, much cheaper because on news of a reduced profit margins the answer is surely dropping the margins even further¡

1biggrin.gif

Considering Q4 2012 was one week shorter than Q4 2011 this is good result

post #53 of 148
Quote:

I was thinking about that earlier. It puts Tim in a hard place if he wants to placate shareholders. Dropping prices aint going to cut it... obviously. So the only way is to innovate their way out of this.

Seriously.... didn't you expect at least 50 million iPhones. I've been saying 50 million for a while now and even missing by 2 million is disappointing to me.

Absolutely, more emphasis on innovation and less bean counting.

And yes, low iPhones to me was the biggest surprise.

post #54 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

We are in the middle of a huge world wide recession where pretty much every other company in the same market is 
haemorrhaging 
money like there is no tomorrow but when Apple come in with a record quarter this is somehow not good enough... 
I really don't know what people expect Apple to do?

You clearly have no clue. Corporate profits are at multi decade highs. Stop talking if you don't know what you're talking about.
post #55 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Up from where it closed at 4 today

you can't be serious.  looking at all the reactions everywhere institutions and retailers are going to stampede out the same door even more so tomorrow than what's happening already.

post #56 of 148

What bullshit.  

AppleInsider: "Apple Earnings Flat ..."

Actual Facts: "Apple Posts Record 13.1 Billon Profit ..."  

post #57 of 148

Good signs: ASP of iPhone is stable at $640. Cash is not only growing but growing fast as a fraction of valuation. These are really good signs.

Sure, lower GM is scaring some people. But bearing in mind that iPad Mini and iPhone 5 remain new, with iPhone 5 already notorious for being hard to build. This is bound to improve.

post #58 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Quite honestly, $AAPL is hardly the most "sensitive" or volatile stock. Hardly

Oh please...take that in context.  Of course there are more volatile stocks.

But if you want to continue that discussion, then which stocks are more volatile in this class (with regard to market capitalization, cash flow, revenue, etc.)?

post #59 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

What bullshit.  

Flat year over year. Not BS at all.

post #60 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I'm not sure wtf people expect of this company. 

They hit *another* record quarter in a long, long string of them, and it still isn't good enough. 

??

This wasn't a record quarter. Do you people even read the news before posting?
post #61 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

It's not hilarious. Gross Margin is down from 44% to 38% That's a serious move. 2-3% would have been more in line. Stocks trade on forward potential, not past results - Apple may have had an ungodly quarter, but the future doesn't look as exponential; that's the key.

It's down because of the expenses related to creating what amounted to essentially new phones and computers. This also represents what happened LAST quarter. Keep that in mind as you run and hide from the falling sky.

God help us in a world where 38% margins are considered a disaster.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #62 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingChael View Post

Wow.  This is absolutely horrible, and people here are still trying to spin this in some way positive?? 

Absolutely brutal results and guidance, in every way.

Ridiculous.

"Brutal results"? Everyone was predicting that profit would be a few percent below last year. Instead, they matched last year's profits.

"Brutal guidance"? They're projecting profits just slightly higher than last year for next quarter. Most computer companies would kill for that.

And the stock is now at a P/E ratio that would be appropriate for a company with no future and no hope of ever succeeding again.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #63 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I bought a few extra shares of AAPL last week. And today right before close, I was just sitting around, smoking a joint, and a little voice pops into my head. It tells me, don't be a moron and don't be emotionally attached to any stock, no matter how much you may like it, sell it now for a guaranteed small profit, instead of taking a big risk, like a degenerate, alcoholic gambler in Las Vegas. Wall Street's expectations for Apple are so ridiculously high, that almost anything besides absolute blowout numbers are a disappointment. So after a few more puffs, I sold, and I am sure glad that I did. 

I no longer invest exclusively in Apple, like I did when I first started. Frankly, I don't give a crap about which company that I put my money into for short term positions. The only thing that counts for me is if the stock goes up or down.

Did you use your returns to buy Netflix?

post #64 of 148
Quote:

Yes and no. 50 million seemed like a good target but to think it would be over 50 million seems like one of those artificial demarcation points us humans really like. They sold 47.8 million. I think that's amazing.

Note that this was a 13 weeks and the previous quarter YoY was 14 weeks. I have no idea how many extra days that is but I did the math based on weeks so I added 7.7% to the values. That would have made the profit $14.1 billion (still weak) and the the iPhone unit sales 51.48 million. You only need about 3 extra days to get over that magic 50 million iPhones hump.

edit: Corrected math.
Edited by SolipsismX - 1/23/13 at 2:51pm

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #65 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

This wasn't a record quarter. Do you people even read the news before posting?

Why wasn't it a record quarter? Tim Cook thought it was. Should I tell him to correct himself?

post #66 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

What bullshit.  

Year over year they were flat.

post #67 of 148
Quote:

Did you use your returns to buy Netflix?

Unfortunately not. lol.gif Yeah, I saw that Netflix popped like crazy after their earnings report.

post #68 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Ridiculous.

"Brutal results"? Everyone was predicting that profit would be a few percent below last year. Instead, they matched last year's profits.

"Brutal guidance"? They're projecting profits just slightly higher than last year for next quarter. Most computer companies would kill for that.

And the stock is now at a P/E ratio that would be appropriate for a company with no future and no hope of ever succeeding again.

why are you still comparing AAPL to any other company?  the market does not care one bit about such a comparison or meaningless P/E for tech companies, isn't it obvious by now? 

flat earning, < 50mil IPs, GMs smashed, no EPS guidance.. as if there aren't enough negatives, Apple has to throw out a new uncertainty with the latter.. the market hates that. 

post #69 of 148

ASP of iPads went down from $535 to $467, a drop of $68. Given that the difference in the starting prices of iPad and iPad Mini is $170, this might suggest more Mini's were sold.

post #70 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Unfortunately not. lol.gif Yeah, I saw that Netflix popped like crazy after their earnings report.

Projected loss of 27 cents turned into a profit of 13 cents. Yeah, that will pop a few cherries.

post #71 of 148
AAPL came in 2.5B over their estimate. That is not a miss. Analysts are always wrong.
post #72 of 148
Even as I play with 95% "house money" (I'm very long) this is starting to get tiresome.
post #73 of 148

While the call is going the after hours keeps decreasing. Pretty depressing.

Pete is saying that they're providing more transparency to their guidance.

What's most surprising is that I hear paper rustling as if he's turning a page while reading off the script. I'd think they'd be using iPads for their scripts.

post #74 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

Absolutely, more emphasis on innovation and less bean counting.

And yes, low iPhones to me was the biggest surprise.

29% INCREASE in sales is "low"?

post #75 of 148
Quote:

ASP of iPads went down from $535 to $467, a drop of $68. Given that the difference in the starting prices of iPad and iPad Mini is $170, this might suggest more Mini's were sold.

Yes, and this would be more concerning if total iPads is not dramatically increasing.  If not dramatically increasing, then mini's are cannabilizing iPads by a larger degree = really bad.

post #76 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

And oh, BTW, the outlandish numbers come right from the heads of the supporters who still have this silly idea that iOS is marketleader...

Rough awakenings

Obviously... You have nothing to add either!

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #77 of 148

Well, I must say, my straddle is paying off... big time.

post #78 of 148

Tim is about to answer to the rumors on order cuts 1tongue.gif

post #79 of 148
Quote:

Come again? More iPad minis sold compared to...? The $68 price despite the $170 disparity indicates that price isn't the biggest issue as customers didn't overwhelmingly take advantage of the $170 entry level price. It shows that the 10" iPad was still the most popular and/or the higher end iPad minis were very popular.

post #80 of 148
Stock will be down probably 10% tomorrow. Since the Q&A they've gone down even further. 1oyvey.gif
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple earnings come in flat at $13.1B on sales of 47.8M iPhones, 22.9M iPads and 4.1M Macs