or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Tim Cook: Apple's product pipeline is 'chock full' of 'incredible stuff'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tim Cook: Apple's product pipeline is 'chock full' of 'incredible stuff'

post #1 of 142
Thread Starter 
Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook teased on Wednesday that his company has big plans for the rest of 2013, though he unsurprisingly declined to get into specifics.

2013 Predictions
Source: KGI Securities


Cook told analysts during his company's quarterly earnings conference call that Apple's product pipeline is "chock full" of "incredible stuff." He said Apple has many ideas about where it wants to go, and will reveal those plans when the time is right.

Among the plans for 2013 are continuing improvements to the Maps application that debuted in iOS 6. Cook revealed that local information and 3D flyover data will be added and enhanced over time.

The CEO also revealed that usage of Maps is "significantly higher" than it was prior to the launch of iOS 6. Previously, the Maps application was driven by Google Maps, and did not offer features such as turn-by-turn directions.

But Cook also noted that while his company could simply slap the Apple logo onto a product and it would sell, that's not their approach.

"The most important thing to Apple is to make the best products in the world that enrich customers' lives," Cook said. He said that Apple is "not interested in revenue for revenue's sake."
post #2 of 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Cook told analysts during his company's quarterly earnings conference call that Apple's product pipeline is "chock full" of "incredible stuff."

 

Of course it is, and we'll be here to buy it as soon as it goes on sale.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #3 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

 

Of course it is, and we'll be here to buy it as soon as it goes on sale.

Yes.

 

Yes we will.

post #4 of 142
I believe him. I do have a feeling there's quite a bit cooking over at Apple, and I can't wait to see what it is.
post #5 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

(Cook) said that Apple is "not interested in revenue for revenue's sake."

Great Tim, but your shareholders apparently are...

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
post #6 of 142
Yea, and this conference call was "chock full" of something else.
post #7 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Great Tim, but your shareholders apparently are...

 

Are high-frequency computer trading algorithms really considered "shareholders"?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #8 of 142
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
I do have a feeling there's quite a bit cooking over at Apple…

 

Subtle, and obviously unintentional, but I found it funny.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #9 of 142

Maybe a big NFC payment system is gonna be the BIG THING for them this year?

post #10 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Are high-frequency computer trading algorithms really considered "shareholders"?

Algorithms have feelings too, ya know.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #11 of 142

Been hearing this for over a year now.

post #12 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook teased on Wednesday that his company has big plans for the rest of 2013, though he unsurprisingly declined to get into specifics.

2013 Predictions
Source: KGI Securities


Cook told analysts during his company's quarterly earnings conference call that Apple's product pipeline is "chock full" of "incredible stuff." He said Apple has many ideas about where it wants to go, and will reveal those plans when the time is right. *

* Note the chart above is simply guesswork and has absolutely no resemblance to anything factual.

 

Fixed that for ya, AI'!

post #13 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Been hearing this for over a year now.

iPad Mini and new iMac. More retina MacBooks. New form factor of iPhone/iPod Touch. New iPod Nano.

 

And lightning connectors¡

You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
post #14 of 142

Proud to be long AAPL and sure that Apple will continue to come through for us for many years to come.

post #15 of 142

i'm rooting for the iOS iWatch. that's something i might buy. and they could sell a billion! the last thing i want is some shit in front of my eyeball(s) like Google is hyping. i'm not a cyborg or combat pilot.

post #16 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Maybe a big NFC payment system is gonna be the BIG THING for them this year?

that's old school.  What may be NEW to you isn't new to droid.

post #17 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by koban4max View Post

that's old school.  What may be NEW to you isn't new to droid.

Most android users don't use 90% of the features offered them because they don't know how to use the features or are just clueless.

On the other hand when Apple starts mobile payment a lot more fanfare will be made of it. Consumers will actually get behind the idea and use the system. Making everyone more money.
post #18 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

. He said that Apple is "not interested in revenue for revenue's sake."

Is it even legal to state this?

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #19 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

i'm rooting for the iOS iWatch. that's something i might buy. and they could sell a billion! the last thing i want is some shit in front of my eyeball(s) like Google is hyping. i'm not a cyborg or combat pilot.

Combat pilots get the girls.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #20 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post


Most android users don't use 90% of the features offered them because they don't know how to use the features or are just clueless.

On the other hand when Apple starts mobile payment a lot more fanfare will be made of it. Consumers will actually get behind the idea and use the system. Making everyone more money.

You forgot "revolutionary", "groundbreaking" and "amazing" in that sentence.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #21 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post


Most android users don't use 90% of the features offered them because they don't know how to use the features or are just clueless.

On the other hand when Apple starts mobile payment a lot more fanfare will be made of it. Consumers will actually get behind the idea and use the system. Making everyone more money.

 

This can't be emphasized enough.  I recently bought a Nexus 7.  Sorry, I need one for development work.  It SUCKS.  I can't believe how hard it is to take your "life" on your computer and sync it to an Android device.  At first I thought it was me.  I read the 175 page manual, and still didn't really get it.  Android is a friggin mess, and that's exactly why market share and usage metrics are so radically disjointed.   

 

On my iPhones and iPads, I have all of my favorite photo albums, playlists, videos, apps, etc...   I have multiple iPads and iPhones and sync different content for my niece and nephew.  My iOS devices are usually full and I always buy the max capacity devices.

 

Once I went online and discovered how many people are asking about how to sync their life on their computer to their Android devices, I started asking people I knew with Androids to show me what they have on it.  Most have a spattering of apps, many replicate functionality of other apps they tried.  And most content is Android generated content....meaning photos they took with the device and other media they downloaded directly.

 

I'm really shocked at how difficult Android is to use.  Everything from seeing that the latest TiVo or CNN app isn't compatible with my Nexus 7 (which was released 9 months ago), to total UI inconsistencies, crashes, and other bull.

 

If Apple adopts NFC, they'll do it right, and people will use it.

post #22 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut View Post

This can't be emphasized enough.  I recently bought a Nexus 7.  Sorry, I need one for development work.  It SUCKS.  I can't believe how hard it is to take your "life" on your computer and sync it to an Android device.  At first I thought it was me.  I read the 175 page manual, and still didn't really get it.  Android is a friggin mess, and that's exactly why market share and usage metrics are so radically disjointed.   

On my iPhones and iPads, I have all of my favorite photo albums, playlists, videos, apps, etc...   I have multiple iPads and iPhones and sync different content for my niece and nephew.  My iOS devices are usually full and I always buy the max capacity devices.

Once I went online and discovered how many people are asking about how to sync their life on their computer to their Android devices, I started asking people I knew with Androids to show me what they have on it.  Most have a spattering of apps, many replicate functionality of other apps they tried.  And most content is Android generated content....meaning photos they took with the device and other media they downloaded directly.

I'm really shocked at how difficult Android is to use.  Everything from seeing that the latest TiVo or CNN app isn't compatible with my Nexus 7 (which was released 9 months ago), to total UI inconsistencies, crashes, and other bull.

If Apple adopts NFC, they'll do it right, and people will use it.

Thanks for the report from behind the lines.


Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Maybe a big NFC payment system is gonna be the BIG THING for them this year?

"I just want to say one word to you. Are you listening?"

"IGZO."
post #23 of 142
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post
Is it even legal to state this?

 

It's legal to screw with stocks that are more successful than any others in the history of human civilization while boosting stocks that will only explode in a TRUE bubble, and far more violently than the aforementioned stocks… 

 

So yeah, I figure it's legal to openly state your company's longstanding mission statement.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #24 of 142

But is a mid range desktop Mac part of that incredible stuff?

post #25 of 142
Originally Posted by MacTac View Post
But is a mid range desktop Mac part of that incredible stuff?

 

We get it. You want an xMac. They're never going to make you one. Thought you'd know that by now.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #26 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We get it. You want an xMac. They're never going to make you one. Thought you'd know that by now.

But why not TS? Surely maybe they have super secret plans somewhere right TS?

Anyway, I am interested in what is in store especially with the news on this:

http://fudzilla.com/home/item/30242-haswell-with-gt3-graphics-comes-in-q3-13
post #27 of 142
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
But why not TS? Surely maybe they have super secret plans somewhere right TS?

 

I see a more powerful Mac Mini, fitting the bill of the people who want to bring their own monitor. I see an iMac that eventually becomes your all in one desktop multitouch solution. I see a new Mac Pro model of some sort because Tim Cook said so. 

 

I'm strongest in my belief of the second one and weakest in the third.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #28 of 142

It is great that Cook is addressing the concern many investors have re:that Apple does have a pipeline chockfull of new stuff, and his committment to the Apple brand as one of quality products which enrich people's lives.     He adds however we are not interested in revenue just for the sake of revenue.  I think what Cook is saying is that a company can make high quality products which enrich people's lives and make very high revenue, I hope this is what he meant, I will email him and investor relations at apple.   True abundance adds quality to the world and people's lives while making high profits.     Apple's financial fundamentals are excellent, but Cook out of respect for long-term investors must do more to protect the intrinsic value of the stock from all the stock manipulation going on with Apple.    Why not release a high quality product that adds to people's lives then high profits will follow, go for it Apple just do it rolemodelling positive prosperity.

post #29 of 142

Cook's quote might mean something if he occasional commented that "Apple's product pipeline is sucking air right now, but our engineers are having a breakout session tomorrow!"

post #30 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

We get it. You want an xMac. They're never going to make you one. Thought you'd know that by now.

 

But they should build one.  That is the whole point.

post #31 of 142
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post
But they should build one.

 

No. Why?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #32 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

But they should build one.  That is the whole point.

What should the specs be? If it's a more powerful headless desktop that you want, take what's available now and put me together a machine and a cost.

Processor, memory, graphics, HDD/SSD options, etc. I love specs and I want to know what you'd price this thing at.
post #33 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

No. Why?

This is so simple, because their whole desktop line except for iMac is kicking the bucket.   Really both the Mini and Pro are slipping hard as far as sales go.   Neither of them is idea for what the majority of desktop users need or want.    

 

Apple may have convinced itself that desktop sales slide is the result of market dynamics.   In the case of the PC world this may be true but I don't believe this is the case in the Mac World.   In many ways both the Mini and the Pro are screwed up implementations that users reject in favor of other solutions.  

post #34 of 142

I think this is easy!   Put a midrange GPU in the machine.    That is really the Minis biggest short coming.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post


What should the specs be? If it's a more powerful headless desktop that you want, take what's available now and put me together a machine and a cost.

Processor, memory, graphics, HDD/SSD options, etc. I love specs and I want to know what you'd price this thing at.

Ideally the machine would come with a PCI based SSD card and maybe one or two conventional HD bays.    We aren't talking a massive machine here.   As such I would expect such a machine to come in at $1200 to $1500 range.  

post #35 of 142
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
This is so simple, because their whole desktop line except for iMac is kicking the bucket.   Really both the Mini and Pro are slipping hard as far as sales go.   Neither of them is idea for what the majority of desktop users need or want.


But this isn't the case. The Mini sells well, and the Pro would if they cared about it. They're consciously not updating it, which means any appearance of a "lack of caring" is by design. Also by design is their stated promise of an update to it this year.

 

They don't need a screenless, mid-range desktop for any reason. That actually goes far and away against just about everything they've ever done as well as what their future looks to be.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #36 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


But this isn't the case. The Mini sells well, and the Pro would if they cared about it.

 

 

Workstations aren't a huge market by volume, but they are potentially profitable. The one thing that makes them seem a bit misalligned with Apple to me is that Apple generally avoids niche or specialized product lines. I always liked Shake, and they got rid of that.

post #37 of 142
Originally Posted by hmm View Post
I always liked Shake, and they got rid of that.

 

They've added part of Shake into Motion since, and I imagine they'll continue to do so. 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #38 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

They've added part of Shake into Motion since, and I imagine they'll continue to do so. 


Yes I know what technically became of it.

post #39 of 142
Originally Posted by hmm View Post
Yes I know what technically became of it.

 

But you reject that proposal. lol.gif

 

I get, for example, that Adobe doesn't want to "upset the balance" by unifying their UIs and shortcuts, but really? Lasso is Q in one application and L in another? Come on. And I get that one UI doesn't serve everything; Shake's way of doing things is probably different from modern Motion. Apple should respect both when combining them, but users have to meet them halfway.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #40 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

But you reject that proposal. lol.gif

 

I get, for example, that Adobe doesn't want to "upset the balance" by unifying their UIs and shortcuts, but really? Lasso is Q in one application and L in another? Come on. And I get that one UI doesn't serve everything; Shake's way of doing things is probably different from modern Motion. Apple should respect both when combining them, but users have to meet them halfway.


That is a valid complaint, and Adobe really does annoy me at times. They're at least predictable, and I dislike some of Apple's competing products. Aperture comes to mind. I have shortcuts memorized for many applications, and they're all different. Q to select is borrowed from the 3d apps published by other companies. If you want weird keymappings, try learning zbrush. Zooming requires you to alt click then release alt while still holding left click. Shake was one of those applications that pioneered node based workflows, which I really like. I'm not that conservative on software or methodologies. You'd probably think that by my posts, but I try out tons of new stuff. I try out new applications whenever I think something might work and favorable trial terms exist. With Apple's software it often seems geared at further marketing hardware sales. They try to make it really accessible and simple for the user, but sometimes I hate the way they accomplish it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Tim Cook: Apple's product pipeline is 'chock full' of 'incredible stuff'