or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's "smart shoes" notify users when they need replacing

Apple's "smart shoes" notify users when they need replacing - Page 2  

post #41 of 63
I have smartknees and smartankles. They tell me when my shoes need replacing!
post #42 of 63
I'm surprised no one has yet made a Sneakernet joke.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #43 of 63
This is the most embarrassingly stupid idea I have heard of in years. I'm even embarrassed that I read and commented on it. 1oyvey.gif
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
post #44 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyman View Post

Wait, this is the same story from several years ago. http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2011/03/apple-wins-smart-shoe-earphones-with-mic-ipod-touch-patents.html

Yeah anyone care to explain? Maybe there was a change to the patent..?

You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #45 of 63
Originally Posted by xgman View Post
This is the most embarrassingly stupid idea I have heard of in years.

So an idea is stupid if you don't understand its use?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #46 of 63

If they (or anyone) can make a sensor that detects when the other shoe will drop, then they've got something.

post #47 of 63
Looks like Sham-slung will be getting into the shoe-biz next year…
post #48 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

If they (or anyone) can make a sensor that detects when the other shoe will drop, then they've got something.

10 internetz!

post #49 of 63
Oh boy this is stupid a Nike+ type shoe makes more sence.
post #50 of 63
Like, usual, it is likely that Apple is far ahead of most of our thinking. I can think of several good reasons...professional or amateur long distance runners who would replace shoes more often than the rest of us, kids with disabilities that need shoes to be more supportive for specific purposes, and for people who stay on their feet in factories or hospitals etc. There are so many foot, ankle, knee, and back problems caused by unsupportive or worn out shoes...it may have some potential.
post #51 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post

Well - let's put it this way!

If you need to be told when to change your shoes then ... (use your imagination)
Additionally, you might ask what's next? ... inderware?

"It's not like we were all smart enough to see a revolution coming. Back then, I thought there might be a revolution in opening your garage door, balancing your checkbook, keeping your recipes, that sort of thing. There are a million people who study markets and analyze economic trends, people who are more brilliant that I am, people who worked for companies like Digital Equipment and IBM and Hewlett-Packard. None of them foresaw what was going to happen,
either."
-- Steve Wozniak

No one comprehended what personal computers would have become decades later so why assume something so limited and superficial in your argument?

As for your argument how does a marathoner know that their shoes are still good enough for another marathon? Do they just buy a new pair for each one? Don't you think sensors in what we wear could lead to new ideas and markets? A nurse is smart enough to take my pulse with her finger but they still use equipment for accurate readings. Why is this so different? Are you assuming that the sensors would be to tell you when your shoes look too fugly to wear out in public?

post #52 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post

I think the concept is great. How about for my tooth brush or a pacemaker battery or any other device that needs to be replaced when worn out!

It would be great if smoke detectors could chirp when the battery was low...

post #53 of 63
Quote:

"It's not like we were all smart enough to see a revolution coming. Back then, I thought there might be a revolution in opening your garage door, balancing your checkbook, keeping your recipes, that sort of thing. There are a million people who study markets and analyze economic trends, people who are more brilliant that I am, people who worked for companies like Digital Equipment and IBM and Hewlett-Packard. None of them foresaw what was going to happen,
either."
-- Steve Wozniak

Maybe no one in power at DEC, IBM or HP foresaw personal computers.    (Well, actually HP made some long before Apple, but they were intended for office use.)

However, others did.  Guys like Alan Kay, who predicted easy to use tablets back in 1968...

Everyone had ideas back then.  Who knows, without MS or Apple to hold us back with basically the same type of legacy software for decades, perhaps we'd be even further down some other cool path.

After all, you just had to look at sci-fi shows to know that people were dreaming of a fantastic future with computers (or computer access) everywhere, even at home.

And anyone who had a subscription to BYTE or Kilobaud or Dr Dobb's Journal, knew about Xerox's work at PARC.  These ideas were going to be commercialized sooner or later.

Edited by KDarling - 1/24/13 at 6:45pm
post #54 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

However, others did.

No. I carefully choose the words have become. One can imagine one aspect of something and be right. Others can imagine several aspects and be right, but no one could have predicted all the aspects at the right time frame to predict what has become of the industry. It's impossible. When were Tri-gate transistors first conceived? What about hafnium-based high-k dielectrics? We can all say that data will get faster, CE will get smaller and lighter, and cost for a given performance will get cheaper but you can't predict how that will all happen. Science Fiction allows our imaginations to conceive of ideas but they do not make them possible by that same virtue.

post #55 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

No. I carefully choose the words have become

And I appreciate that care.

That's why I didn't quote or respond to your post, but to Wozniak's comments.

post #56 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

And I appreciate that care.

That's why I didn't quote or respond to your post, but to Wozniak's comments.

Point taken and touché.

post #57 of 63
Wouldnt a stress meter be much better.

My wife seems to know it is time to replaces all of her shoes every time she is feeling stressed.
post #58 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

Wouldnt a stress meter be much better.

My wife seems to know it is time to replaces all of her shoes every time she is feeling stressed.

LOL. Still, one can never have enough shoes. Or so I understand.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #59 of 63

Here in the Old Europe, you can have your best shoes' soles replaced for 10 euros, 15 if you're going for top-of-the-line leather soles.

And cheap shoes... well they last less than their soles anyway, but I don't own any of these, so I can't vouch for them anyway.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #60 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

No. I carefully choose the words have become. One can imagine one aspect of something and be right. Others can imagine several aspects and be right, but no one could have predicted all the aspects at the right time frame to predict what has become of the industry. It's impossible. When were Tri-gate transistors first conceived? What about hafnium-based high-k dielectrics? We can all say that data will get faster, CE will get smaller and lighter, and cost for a given performance will get cheaper but you can't predict how that will all happen. Science Fiction allows our imaginations to conceive of ideas but they do not make them possible by that same virtue.

Charisma, connections, vision, and quite a bit of reality-distortion-field are necessary to get the funding and the team to achieve that result :p

post #61 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

My feet and wallet tell me when I need to replace my shoes. Why is this necessary????

Whats next, sensors built in to tell me when I need to wash my clothes or take a shower?

Apple could make a sensor that plugs into your arse and send a notification when you need to take a dump.

post #62 of 63

Will the shoes come with geo-locating?

I could really use a "Where are my shoes?"  app for my idevice.

And they could also add this to clothing.

Because I definitely need a "Where are my pants?"  app.

post #63 of 63
I have to admit I thought it was a joke when I saw the scribbled diagram, but clicked on it anyway and the story was worse than I thought. I think they would be better off with a device implanted in your shoes that tells you to get off your fat a$$ and start exercising.

If this is for real, simple logic would dictate you cant charge much for a device whose only function is to tell you when to replace it.

Oh well, good for a laugh.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's "smart shoes" notify users when they need replacing