or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › 'iPad 5' rumored to debut in Oct. with mini-like design, 'iPhone 5S' & plastic iPhone also coming [ux2]

'iPad 5' rumored to debut in Oct. with mini-like design, 'iPhone 5S' & plastic iPhone also coming... - Page 3

post #81 of 157
Perhaps the cheap, plastic iPhone is really just a remote for the rumored Apple TV set...
post #82 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This rumor of no side bezels on the 9.7" iPad simply doesn't seem credible. There's little to no benefit, and the ergonomics would be bad, to say the least. It just doesn't pass the smell test.
Apple has already addressed the bezel issue.
Quote:
I think he's been duped, which leaves the rest of his rumors less than credible, too, as a result.
These are rumors and as such they must be taken with a grain of salt. However I'm all for a new iPad that is smaller & lighter but more powerful at the same time. The one mistake you seem to make is to deny technologies march forward.
post #83 of 157
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

... iOS is nice but is staring to get a bit long in the tooth and stale. ...

It's really not.

I agree, I've personally run an Apache web server on an iPhone, AppleTV, iPod, etc.

iOS, is basically OS X with some non-essential (for a phone) stuff removed, some new stuff added and a different UI (Cocoa Touch) -- and a lot of things hidden.  For example if you JailBreak an iOS device what you will see is the OS X file system, folders...  all very familiar.

In some ways iOS is more capable, refined and state-of -the-art than OS X.  Many of the old NeXT OS features in OS X implementations were rewritten and done "the right  way" for iOS.  These, in turn, are being / have been ported back from iOS to the OS X mothership.

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #84 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Only thing that makes sense is the iPhone 5S which we all already knew was coming.

iPad 5? Some of what he said makes sense, but I don't think Apple is going to ditch the bezels, unless the iPad 5 is as light as the Mini (not likely).

Plastic iPhone? No.
And why would you say that? Plastic makes a lot of sense in a cell phone. Further the first couple of iPhones where plastic.
Quote:
iPhone +? "Plan B" against Android? Now he's just making stuff up.

Come on now, Apple likely has plan B,C,D & etc running in development with the primary machine. Again Apple has basically acknowledged this multiple times. They often produce ten or more prototypes at a time. Without a doubt there are phones of different sizes in these offerings.
post #85 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

no plastic, no fragile material, please .... I want something ROBUST

A bit like Klingon design :

Snipped

Are plastics really any more fragile than glass in the context of a cell phone? They aren't of course and just like glass formulas there are different types of plastic that are incredibly durable. Comments like these highlight a woefully uninformed individual.
post #86 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

And why would you say that? Plastic makes a lot of sense in a cell phone. Further the first couple of iPhones where plastic.
Come on now, Apple likely has plan B,C,D & etc running in development with the primary machine. Again Apple has basically acknowledged this multiple times. They often produce ten or more prototypes at a time. Without a doubt there are phones of different sizes in these offerings.

I think an entirely plastic phone case would be unnecessary.

The could develop a phone with a metal case much like the iPod Touch and sell it for $300. The case is NOT the most expensive component in an iPhone. 

The most important thing is that this "cheaper iPhone" carry "Apple" look and feel so that people will want to buy the more expensive Apple products.

I don't doubt they've experimented with larger screens, but to say this is their "plan B" against large screen Androids sounds rather foolish to me. It sounds like "if the 4 inch form factor fails we'll have to release this 5 inch screen". I'm sure Apple does more market research than throwing stuff out there hoping it works.

post #87 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You can be assured that if there is a cheap plastic phone, there is no way that Apple can restrict it to 'developing markets.' It'll also be the handset for kids or the less well-off in the richer countries.

This is a path down which Apple should not want to go, and likely will not. So I am calling b/s on that part of the rumor.

Schiller is in record saying Apple isn't going to build an iPhones to a price point, and Apple doesn't make things 'cheap'

Combine this with the new financing thing in china and I think we can put the cheap iPhone for poor countries crap to bed

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #88 of 157
I consider myself fairly well versed in UNIX and a number of other OS's and I wouldn't want such an arrangement either. IOS needs to continue to evolve of course, but the last thing we need is a modal OS. Frankly it isn't so much the OS but rather the apps included with iOS that need work. Things like text editing and formatting in notes for example. In a nut shell all of the Apple supplied base apps in iOS need an overhaul especially to expand editing capabilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is unlikely to be even possible given the horsepower of the average iPad/iPhone at the moment but even if it was it's easy to see that this is something that only the tiniest percentage of the market would actually want.  

The tiny percentage of users that need such is the big problem, there just isn't enough to drive a shadow OS. Now granted Apple can do more to support power users but that is likely best handled at the app level.
post #89 of 157
Plastic IPhone=Apple has gone nuts/not happening.(based on plastic means mini) the rest is self explanatory
post #90 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/155638/ipad-5-rumored-to-debut-in-oct-with-mini-like-design-iphone-5s-plastic-iphone-also-coming-u#post_2264723"]I don't know about that prediction chart.

Does it makes sense for Apple to release basically everything in Q3? I mean, it's not like we're likely to run into any supply or production issues right? Because that certainly hasn't happened before. Just for the sake of conversation, let's say that the chart is real.

Agreed. The iOS devices in q3 makes sense with the new iOS. Release everything new in the new software. I think that was as much a reason as the lighting connector model iPad 4 this fall

The laptops they might push to the start of summer for back to school. And who says there will be new iMacs every year. They could be more like every 18/24 months. Or even a baby bump this summer and then add that to the back to school clock

The Mac Pro and a revamped display could appear in summer as well, perhaps with a bumped Mac OS.

post #91 of 157
Quote:

I am far from alone in thinking iOS is getting very stale and needs a major overhaul. It really is largely unchanged from iOS 3. It doesn't need to copy Android or Windows by any means, but there is room for a lot of improvements. I gave some examples of just a few ideas I had that do not exist on any platform that I feel I would personally love to have. I expect big things from iOS 7. 

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2012/07/iphone_google_glass_apple_s_tech_innovation_has_gotten_boring_it_s_time_for_something_new_.html

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/21/3363238/iphone-5-review

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-ios-software-2012-11

Of course techies think the OS is stale. But funny thing is I rarely hear techies say Windows looks "stale" when it has looked relatively the same for 20 years.

Android hasn't changed much either, but I guess they love how much you can "customize" Android.

Quote:

I consider myself fairly well versed in UNIX and a number of other OS's and I wouldn't want such an arrangement either. IOS needs to continue to evolve of course, but the last thing we need is a modal OS. Frankly it isn't so much the OS but rather the apps included with iOS that need work. Things like text editing and formatting in notes for example. In a nut shell all of the Apple supplied base apps in iOS need an overhaul especially to expand editing capabilities.
The tiny percentage of users that need such is the big problem, there just isn't enough to drive a shadow OS. Now granted Apple can do more to support power users but that is likely best handled at the app level.

I agree.

The native apps need help. Or maybe could give us the option to delete some of them and replace them with 3rd party apps.

post #92 of 157
Quote:

... It is Apples job to grab as much market share as possible and to not screw up like they did with the Mac. ...

You really don't understand the history of personal computing if you think the history of the Mac is in any way analogous to the iPhone.

post #93 of 157
Quote:

Apple has already addressed the bezel issue.
The one mistake you seem to make is to deny technologies march forward.

No, they really haven't, not in terms of making it mini sized on a 9.7" iPad.

Really? Now you're just talking silly.

post #94 of 157
Quote:

I don't know why Apple would go BACKWARDS and mimic the look and feel of Android.

That's frankly ridiculous.

The only place they need to look for inspiration for iOS is their own amazingly simply easy to use Mac OS X.

If they can figure out how to transfer some functionality from OS X to iOS (and no I'm not talking about a file system), iOS, particularly for iPad would be far more robust and complete.
I don't mean mimic Android I mean to incorporate some of the features android has. Trust me I'm 100% in apples corner. I love their products and quality. But frankly they need some more of the innovated features the competition has.

I'm talking about the same features that people have been jail braking their iPhones for over the last 5 years. Not the illegal ones either. I'm speaking on things like the drop down menu on the galaxy s3 where you can control the Bluetooth/wifi/brightness ect.

I'm talking about some of the menu customization and I'm also speaking on the overall aesthetic of the iOS. It's gotta change sometime.

I love apple. Not bashing.
post #95 of 157
If the camera was the main feature then shouldn't it be called iPhone 5C?!
post #96 of 157
I've never understood the iOS is stale argument myself. Lets face it, the OS is state of the art and with each release expands considerably in capability. Beyond that the app market is very vibrant. There is hardly a day that doesn't pass that I get an updated app to download. For the most part every update brings a new and improved app that leverages newer technology available to them in iOS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I agree, I've personally run an Apache web server on an iPhone, AppleTV, iPod, etc.

iOS, is basically OS X with some non-essential (for a phone) stuff removed, some new stuff added and a different UI (Cocoa Touch) -- and a lot of things hidden.  For example if you JailBreak an iOS device what you will see is the OS X file system, folders...  all very familiar.
Most people can't seem to grasp this, iOS is basically OS/X with a new UI and a restriction on running apps in the background. It is every bit as powerful as Mac OS and with the right apps that can be demonstrated easily.
Quote:
In some ways iOS is more capable, refined and state-of -the-art than OS X.  Many of the old NeXT OS features in OS X implementations were rewritten and done "the right  way" for iOS.  These, in turn, are being / have been ported back from iOS to the OS X mothership.

Very much a two way street here. But you are right that many things got modernized with iOS with a lot of cruft being pulled out of code bases. This is a very good thing for both iOS and OS/X. In many cases though the libraries supplied for each OS are built from the very same code base.
post #97 of 157
Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post
…innovated features the competition has. I'm speaking on things like the drop down menu on the galaxy s3 where you can control the Bluetooth/wifi/brightness ect.

That's not innovation. It's the use of something already in place for a different purpose. Not to say it wouldn't be nice to have, of course.

I'm talking about some of the menu customization and I'm also speaking on the overall aesthetic of the iOS. It's gotta change sometime.

It will change in the same way Mac OS changed to OS X. But look at the timeframes on that.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #98 of 157
Quote:

You really don't understand the history of personal computing if you think the history of the Mac is in any way analogous to the iPhone.

It is precisely the history of the Mac that we want to see Apple avoid repeating. Apple has broken from the past with their diverse lineup of laptops but it took them years to realize that that helps sales more than it hurts. Thus it is time for Apple to get of the one trick pony with cell phones and develop two or more model lines to promote. As with the Mac limited selection is an eventual drag on your ability to move product. IPhone is past its novelty stage and thus needs to mature into a family if products.
post #99 of 157
Quote:

No, they really haven't, not in terms of making it mini sized on a 9.7" iPad.
You do keep up on their patents, WWDC technology releases and other features promoted in iOS.
Quote:
Really? Now you're just talking silly.

No it is pretty obvious that you don't think the technology exists to make a smaller, thinner and lighter iPad. All I'm saying is that technology moves forward, we could easily see a major shift in the iPads mechanical design based on technology that allows for a thinner iPad.
post #100 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's not innovation. It's the use of something already in place for a different purpose. Not to say it wouldn't be nice to have, of course.

It will change in the same way Mac OS changed to OS X. But look at the timeframes on that.

True. Maybe innovation is the wrong word but I've learned I'm a tech lover, not just and apple lover.

I usually go with whoever is the best...and for my buck apple is it....but I'd be lying if I said i didn't check out the Competition and get a little jealous.

I don't want to have to jailbreak my iPhone to get these features. And I won't. But it'd be nice if they just had them in there… And I think they will add them eventually. Im Just a little impatient.
post #101 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

... I'm talking about the same features that people have been jail braking their iPhones for over the last 5 years. Not the illegal ones either. I'm speaking on things like the drop down menu on the galaxy s3 where you can control the Bluetooth/wifi/brightness ect.

Average consumers don't want, or even care about a, "drop down menu on the galaxy s3 where you can control the Bluetooth/wifi/brightness ect."

The overall aesthetic will continue to evolve, but it would be a mistake to radically change it just for the sake of change.

post #102 of 157
Quote:

It is precisely the history of the Mac that we want to see Apple avoid repeating. ...

Yes, well, there are currently no parallels, so they aren't in any danger of that.

post #103 of 157
Quote:

You do keep up on their patents, WWDC technology releases and other features promoted in iOS.
No it is pretty obvious that you don't think the technology exists to make a smaller, thinner and lighter iPad. All I'm saying is that technology moves forward, we could easily see a major shift in the iPads mechanical design based on technology that allows for a thinner iPad.

If you think they've solved the problem for 9.7" iPads, you don't understand the problem.

Really? Technology moves forward? Who knew?

post #104 of 157
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is unlikely to be even possible given the horsepower of the average iPad/iPhone at the moment but even if it was it's easy to see that this is something that only the tiniest percentage of the market would actually want.  

A few thoughts here:

1)  Making iOS look and act the same (as much as possible) from generation to generation is an advantage -- it's intuitive and you already know how to use it.

2) This makes it appealing to consumers as well as enterprise -- you don't need to continuously dick around with it -- just use it.

3) It also tends to make the system more secure -- as there aren't a lot of trap doors or exposures.

4) A common code base is easier to develop for and easier to maintain and enhance than several similar (but separate)  code bases (think of all the bastardized Windows code bases).

5)  With iOS, Apple has done a pretty good job of protecting the user from himself, malware and to preserve the security needed by enterprise.

That said, there are some things that Apple has not done so well:

• The etherial iOS File System -- it's there, but you just [mostly, hardly] can't use it.*
  • Too high a wall surrounding the garden
  • Lack of real interapp communication
  • App access to multitasking, maps, other app's files (with proper security), etc.
  • Flexible configuration options.

* FFF == Find The Fine Finder [replacement]

I think what I'd like to see is for Apple to open the kimono a little more and expose some of the richness of iOS to developers and users who need it.  This could be done with a Power User Setting (with various sub settings).  It would allow the user or enterprise to enable these capabilities on an individual basis.

I am thinking of something somewhere between the Wild West of JailBreaking and the comfort of  being institutionalized.

One example:  I'd like to be able to allow the kids cell data enabled for tracking (find friends, find phone) but not for surfing, game playing, etc. -- WiFi only for the latter.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #105 of 157
Quote:

Quote:

It is precisely the history of the Mac that we want to see Apple avoid repeating. Apple has broken from the past with their diverse lineup of laptops but it took them years to realize that that helps sales more than it hurts. Thus it is time for Apple to get of the one trick pony with cell phones and develop two or more model lines to promote. As with the Mac limited selection is an eventual drag on your ability to move product. IPhone is past its novelty stage and thus needs to mature into a family if products.

Exactly!   Say the customer comes in to buy a Tablet or Smartphone...  He needs lots of storage and is pice sensitive...

With the iPad, you can up-sell or down-sell depending on the customer's needs!

With the iPhone, you really can't -- there are not enough storage options and price points.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #106 of 157
Quote:

Yeah, BS all around on this one.

I think it's safe to say that IGZO panels will eventually be filtered into new products over the next year.  I think that's a safe assumption due to their relationship to Sharp.

Apple is planning on coming out with new iPhones and iPads later this year.  I think that's a safe assumption.

post #107 of 157
Quote:

Apple doesn't want to look at too many iPhone models at one time because they have to figure out what they can do that makes sense from ALL perspectives.  Cost, margin, demand, and if it makes sense for them to build more than one screen size.  I think that Apple should have come out with two screen sizes of the iPhone.  4inch is fine, but I think a larger (but not too large) would have been nice.

What I would like to see, I don't know if the carriers can do this now or in the future, is to have more than one physical phone device with the same number and no added cost to the service.  WHY you ask?  Here's my line of reasoning.  Let's take an average person that owns a smartphone, tablet(s), laptops.  Now, I think that if ALL mobile devices (phones, tablets, laptops) should have WIFI, but cellular data AND cell phone in them so we can pick and choose which item to carry with us.  Sometimes I only want a smartphone if I am going out where that's all I need, but other times, I only want to carry a laptop or a tablet, etc.  Why couldn't we just buy ALL mobile devices linked to the same account using the same phone number therefor reducing the need to always carry a smartphone with us, just to answer the phone.  Anything past a certain size we can always have a Bluetooth ear piece, wired ear buds or use the built in speaker/microphone if we are in a private room.  Plus we would all have cellular data on all devices.  I'm surprised Apple hasn't offered Cellular Data on laptops so we wouldn't have to tether.  Since the voice/data chip, antenna and nano-sim would only add a small cost to a laptop or a tablet.    Just an idea I have that I would definitely want should it be available sometime down the road.

post #108 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Quote:

Apple doesn't want to look at too many iPhone models at one time because they have to figure out what they can do that makes sense from ALL perspectives.  Cost, margin, demand, and if it makes sense for them to build more than one screen size.  I think that Apple should have come out with two screen sizes of the iPhone.  4inch is fine, but I think a larger (but not too large) would have been nice.

What I would like to see, I don't know if the carriers can do this now or in the future, is to have more than one physical phone device with the same number and no added cost to the service.  WHY you ask?  Here's my line of reasoning.  Let's take an average person that owns a smartphone, tablet(s), laptops.  Now, I think that if ALL mobile devices (phones, tablets, laptops) should have WIFI, but cellular data AND cell phone in them so we can pick and choose which item to carry with us.  Sometimes I only want a smartphone if I am going out where that's all I need, but other times, I only want to carry a laptop or a tablet, etc.  Why couldn't we just buy ALL mobile devices linked to the same account using the same phone number therefor reducing the need to always carry a smartphone with us, just to answer the phone.  Anything past a certain size we can always have a Bluetooth ear piece, wired ear buds or use the built in speaker/microphone if we are in a private room.  Plus we would all have cellular data on all devices.  I'm surprised Apple hasn't offered Cellular Data on laptops so we wouldn't have to tether.  Since the voice/data chip, antenna and nano-sim would only add a small cost to a laptop or a tablet.    Just an idea I have that I would definitely want should it be available sometime down the road.

Totally agree with most of this -- especially the last paragraph.

I would like to see Apple/Carriers do this ASAP * with the iPad Mini as I see it as an easy implementation and easy sell choices:  

• iPhone only
  • iPad Mini only
  • Both

* I would give this higher priority than upgrading the iPad Mini to Retina.

In our household of 5, we all have iPhones and iPads -- only 1 iPad Mini.   It appears, for our needs, the minimum storage (16 GB) models of iPhone make more sense -- and maximum storage iPads/iPad Minis.

Edited by Dick Applebaum - 1/25/13 at 4:16pm
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #109 of 157
Quote:

Google Voice already does that.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #110 of 157
Quote:

Quote:

That is called cloning and is illegal so don't ever expect that to happen anytime soon. But you can pretty much accomplish that with several phones already with Google Voice. Give everyone your GV number, and all 3 phones could ring at once when people call that number. I do that now among several phones from my landline, office, and mobile. It is very convenient. 

Do you have a link?  All I could find was some nefarious activities...  It seems to me that with proper setup between Apple, the Carrier and the user you could:

• designate which device was hot
  • or act as a rotary through available devices

Once you were using a device for cellular voice/text the carrier would identify and lock in on that device and exclude voice/text on the others... with some means of forwarding/switching the call to another device.

Wasn't too long ago where Apple & ATT were able to reimplement voice mail...

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #111 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Google Voice already does that.

I don't trust Google with anything... damn sure don't want them listening and recording my phone calls!

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #112 of 157
Quote:

I don't see how my suggestions about using the blank space on the spotlight screen is turning iOS upside down. How is swiping from the bottom towards the top a radical idea either? iOS is very stable and has a lot of good points but there are also many improvements that can and should be made. Notifications for example. An app might have 3 or many more notifications. Why can't we swipe away certain ones and leave others to deal with later instead of only having a small X for the app itself. That is not very intuitive or helpful. I agree that iOS could take some cues from OS X and give us a bit more functionality. Let me give you an example, how about smart labels. We could choose our own categories or just use the ones Apple provides in the App store. The create a folder and ask it to place all the shopping apps for example in that folder. If you don't like folders, then at least offer a way to display certain types of apps when you can't remember the name of an app. And with many of us having hundreds of apps it is very easy to forget the name of them very easily. 

iOS is nice but is staring to get a bit long in the tooth and stale. As basically an app selector it worked well when people had less than 100 apps, but now people have hundreds. We need some better tools to organize and quickly find what we are looking for instead of simply going hunting from screen to screen. There are many ways Apple could significantly improve and augment iOS without sacrificing any of the positive attributes.  

first of all, swiping from the bottom up is actually a function on the iPad.  A 4 finger swipe up gives you the multi-tasking bar.

I do agree that the Spotlight screen is blank and pointless.  I've never used it.  Not even to search.  What i'd like to see on that screen would be similar to OSX's dashboard widget.  A great place to put the clock, weather, stocks, etc. apps for quick checks.  In stead of placing them in the Notification Window (swipe down)...which I also never use..place them somewhere that is intuitive...a place that mirrors features in OSX.  that would instantly signal a connection between the two platforms and be totally natural feeling for the Apple ecosystem.  Right now I put all my dashboard apps on either the first home screen or a "Utilities" folder.

Personally, I don't think iOS is "long in the tooth"  Sure there are a few things I'd like it to be more efficient about, but they will come...I have faith Apple will fix things.  It may not be at the pace YOU want, but when has it ever?  I grow tired of hear how dated iOS is.  It's not meant to be a computer.  It's not OSX, it wasn't design to be your primary device.  Some might say maybe it should...I say...my iPad works fine as my primary device...I don't expect anything more than what it was designed to do...and it does it all lightyears better.  Now I never even open my MBP to check email.  My iPad works so much better for that.  Same goes for IM and web searching.  I'm no power user, just the average user, and that's what iOS is for.

"People have hundreds" of Apps?  Personally, I bought into the ecosystem because of the very nature of Apple.  All the native/standard Apps that work seemlessly together.  I have no need for Apps that do the same thing as the native ones.  I can deal with their inefficiencies for a while until they fix them.  Except for maps.  The native apps i don't use get stored away in a back screen folder otherwise.  I've downloaded and tried probably around 124 Apps.  I use (not including the native/standard and downloadable Apple Apps apps) about 10.

As far as apps being more intuitive, I'd really like to see more OSX gestures in Safari.  I love 2-finger swiping for web browsing.  Wish iOS Safari did that.

post #113 of 157
Quote:

Why? The vast majority of iPhone users are not snobs.
Is there a problem with that? Further it might also be THE iPhone for people that simply have different priorities.
It is Apples job to grab as much market share as possible and to not screw up like they did with the Mac. The management team at Apple has stated publicly many times now that they don't expect to repeat the mistakes of the past. As such I expect to see a variety of phones in the future, it is the only way to cover the vast difference in market need.

I love my iphone, same as the next guy.  have no idea what I would do without it now.  but frankly, I use the phone App very seldomly.  Basically, it's there for emergency calling and on the go stuff...my phone usage is about 10-20 minutes per month at best.  If it weren't for damn telemarketers, I'd have nearly zero minutes used per month.  I really use my iMessage, Email, weather, maps, calculator and light solitaire games the most.  Quick, on the go stuff.  LIke a feature phone.  In fact.  If the iPod Touch had an LTE chip in it.  I'd probably buy that and get a work-around app for phone calls.

I'm not poor or rich, I'm in the middle and just don't need a phone for that much, unless out of the house.  My go-to device (as you can see from my last post) is my iPad.  I've gone to the extent of eliminating any 3rd party app i haven't used in 3 months and just download them from the cloud if I really need them.

That all being said, I wouldn buy an Apple iPhone if it were a feature phone.  All I really ever used are the native apps...save for a few games for subway riding and i'd be set!

post #114 of 157
Quote:

I think an entirely plastic phone case would be unnecessary.
It isn't a question of being unnecessary or necessary, the question is why you have such a negative attitude with respect to plastics.
Quote:
The could develop a phone with a metal case much like the iPod Touch and sell it for $300. The case is NOT the most expensive component in an iPhone. 
It might not be the most expensive piece but it isn't a trivial piece either. Well engineered plastics can significantly reduce costs. Even a die cast metal housing could impact costs. Apple can effectively change costs by an order of magnitude or more with options beyond CNC machined cases.
Quote:
The most important thing is that this "cheaper iPhone" carry "Apple" look and feel so that people will want to buy the more expensive Apple products.
This is baloney. Products should be designed to achieve usability goals first and foremost.
Quote:
I don't doubt they've experimented with larger screens, but to say this is their "plan B" against large screen Androids sounds rather foolish to me. It sounds like "if the 4 inch form factor fails we'll have to release this 5 inch screen". I'm sure Apple does more market research than throwing stuff out there hoping it works.

Apple does very little product / market research and is rather proud of that fact. However you can't enter a market you essentially redefined and not keep an eye on the competition. They have no choice to respond to the flow of consumer desire. Beyond that Apple knows they have a huge winner in iOS and that they have a sparse device coverage relative to what various consumers need.

In a nut shell just because the current iPhone form factor works well for you or me doesn't mean it works for everybody. Frankly I can see my self moving to a larger iphone in the future simply because the eyes are getting old. Just that one little niche is significant world wide, but old age isn't the only reason why people might want a larger iPhone.

When it comes right down to it Android has very little to do with Apple expanding its options. The reality is there are far more potential iPhone users out there than there are potential Mac users. It you look at current Mac sales in comparison we are talking maybe ten to one hundred times the volume on a quarterly basis. Apples ability to grab those users is based on having the tools (cell phones) that a wide array of users can justify. The point here is this, even if those large screen Android phones didn't exist there is still a rational need for a large screen iPhone.
post #115 of 157
Quote:

It isn't a question of being unnecessary or necessary, the question is why you have such a negative attitude with respect to plastics.
It might not be the most expensive piece but it isn't a trivial piece either. Well engineered plastics can significantly reduce costs. Even a die cast metal housing could impact costs. Apple can effectively change costs by an order of magnitude or more with options beyond CNC machined cases.
This is baloney. Products should be designed to achieve usability goals first and foremost.
Apple does very little product / market research and is rather proud of that fact. However you can't enter a market you essentially redefined and not keep an eye on the competition. They have no choice to respond to the flow of consumer desire. Beyond that Apple knows they have a huge winner in iOS and that they have a sparse device coverage relative to what various consumers need.

In a nut shell just because the current iPhone form factor works well for you or me doesn't mean it works for everybody. Frankly I can see my self moving to a larger iphone in the future simply because the eyes are getting old. Just that one little niche is significant world wide, but old age isn't the only reason why people might want a larger iPhone.

When it comes right down to it Android has very little to do with Apple expanding its options. The reality is there are far more potential iPhone users out there than there are potential Mac users. It you look at current Mac sales in comparison we are talking maybe ten to one hundred times the volume on a quarterly basis. Apples ability to grab those users is based on having the tools (cell phones) that a wide array of users can justify. The point here is this, even if those large screen Android phones didn't exist there is still a rational need for a large screen iPhone.

I agree completely with everything you said.  Well said.

post #116 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Schiller is in record saying Apple isn't going to build an iPhones to a price point, and Apple doesn't make things 'cheap'

Combine this with the new financing thing in china and I think we can put the cheap iPhone for poor countries crap to bed

Ah but you are miss-reading him.  He said Apple won't make "Cheap" iPhones...but as many know already, it's all in the careful word choice.  He said "Cheap" not "lower priced".  One could say the iPhone 4S with 2-year contract ($99) is "less expensive", but not cheap.  Cheap implies lower quality.  Lower priced is simply that.

post #117 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I don't trust Google with anything... damn sure don't want them listening and recording my phone calls!

You really should get that paranoia checked out.
post #118 of 157
There is no way Apple is going to make the iPhone plastic.
post #119 of 157
Quote:

The native apps need help. Or maybe could give us the option to delete some of them and replace them with 3rd party apps.

I agree some of the native apps need a lot of help (maps) but I enjoy the simplicity of most of them.  When they dropped the 5 apps from the iPad i was pissed, still haven't found apps as simple and easy to use as stocks and weather.  Their iOS 6 clock App could have been better, but it works.

but for the most part if you delete all the native apps, you have no more ecosystem.  No more integrated OS.  That's the OPPOSITE of what Apple is all about.  If you want to delete standard/native apps, buy an Android device.

post #120 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by magical1 View Post

There is no way Apple is going to make the iPhone plastic.

They already did, the 3G and 3GS, the latter being one of the best selling iPhone produced, even after the 4 and 4S came out the 3GS sold in droves.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › 'iPad 5' rumored to debut in Oct. with mini-like design, 'iPhone 5S' & plastic iPhone also coming [ux2]