or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Rumor: Apple suppliers solve iMac production problems, strong sales projected
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Apple suppliers solve iMac production problems, strong sales projected - Page 2

post #41 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

That's good. Hopefully next time Apple tries to do a massive upgrade of nearly all of its product lines, it will remember to look at a calendar before it does so so it doesn't totally blow the important Christmas shopping season. Then again, I have my doubts that Tim Cook will be the CEO by then. You don't just lose a third of the company's value on your watch, because of choices that you made poorly, and survive it.

I think the decision to delay the iMac until a full redesign and new screen was available was a huge mistake.

 

The parts to build an upgraded iMac were available in May 2012 if they'd used the old case design. Less reflective glass has existed for years so they could have improved the glare issue without a re-design.

 

Even if they just threw Ivy Bridge and USB 3.0 into the old case most iMac customers would have been happy to see updated specs, the drop in sales from people waiting wouldn't have occurred and Apple would have bought themselves an entire year to wow us with a super thin case and bonded glass display.

 

An updated Thunderbolt display could have been used as the manufacturing guinea pig for the new design. Experiment with a low volume product, not something that sells over 1 million units per quarter!

post #42 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I think the decision to delay the iMac until a full redesign and new screen was available was a huge mistake.

I don't think that's the mistake. The old iMac was selling just fine through the summer, so the upgraded internals wouldn't have mattered much.

The mistake was taking the old one off the market before the new one was ready to ship.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #43 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLGUY View Post

I'm curious what do you think the stock will do if Tim is shown the door? And who would take his place? Serious questions.

I'd take his place. I'd even accept half the compensation they offered Cook.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #44 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo123 View Post

This generation came to early. It should have had Retina display and I believe Apple originally wanted this but industry couldn't deliver. Once you use a retina display like rMBP no going back.

+1. I was an iMac user for the longest time, but switched to MBP because of Retina. Will go back to iMac when it goes Retina though, because 27" Retina would be insanely great.

post #45 of 58
I got mine! It's great. So much more impressive than the MBA. It's great. Fast, perfect, the design is insane.

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply
post #46 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLGUY View Post

I'm curious what do you think the stock will do if Tim is shown the door? And who would take his place? Serious questions.

If the eventual leader of Apple is able to greenlight the right products on the right timetable so that Apple can actually meet the demand in the marketplace, the stock will go up. I couldn't care less, nor could I possibly predict what the stock will do upon the naming of Cook's replacement. Also, it's certainly not any of our place to even conjecture upon a potential replacement for cook. Both of your questions are obvious strawman questions. There's no way anyone here can know the answer to either of those two questions, and the lack of an answer to both of those questions doesn't indicate that Cook is the man for the job. His tenure thus far has been one debacle after another.

Let me remind you: Tim Cook was lauded as a genius of supply chain management. Yet, in the Past year, Apple has been unable to produce enough iMacs, MacBook Pros, and iPhone fives to meet demand for those products. While the iPhone has historically had stockouts after introduction, none of them has been nearly as severe as this one has been.

There is simply no reason for anyone on this board to defend Tim Cook blindly. While he may eventually turn out to be a fine CEO, his last 12 months have been a total mess, and all stockholders are paying the price for that. There's absolutely no reason why the last quarter for Apple had to be as bad as it was. Apple simply chose to make products that were too difficult for it To make in quantities that it should have known the market would demand. It's not like Apple failed to double production over past quarters. With the iMac and MacBook, it managed to make far fewer max than it had in past quarters because the product was simply too difficult to make. With the iPhone, that appears to been the case as well. While it did eventually managed to make more than it had made of past products, There was still far too long when the market was not able to be satisfied with Apple's production. The stock has suffered, and the buck stops at the CEOs desk. We'll see how the next 12 months goes for him. If they go as poorly as the past 12 months have, he will certainly be fired. And I sure hope that no one here would defend him if the next 12 months go as badly as the last 12.
post #47 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Let me remind you: Tim Cook was lauded as a genius of supply chain management. Yet, in the Past year, Apple has been unable to produce enough iMacs, MacBook Pros, and iPhone fives to meet demand for those products. While the iPhone has historically had stockouts after introduction, none of them has been nearly as severe as this one has been.

What? iPhone reserves have been much lower for longer periods of time under Jobs. How quickly we forget just how constrained their products have been with much lower yields to meet demands in the past and all under Jobs.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #48 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

...

 

An updated Thunderbolt display could have been used as the manufacturing guinea pig for the new design. Experiment with a low volume product, not something that sells over 1 million units per quarter!

 

+1

I would like to know if the suppliers were over promising or if Apple was gambling on their quest to get the iMac thinner and thinner.

post #49 of 58
It's gorgeous, I have mine. 27 inch. Fusion drive. 680MX.

8 gigs of ram.

Top banana.

Super fast. Every inch a workstation.

A work of art.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #50 of 58
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post
It's gorgeous, I have mine. 27 inch. Fusion drive. 680MX.

8 gigs of ram.

Top banana.

Super fast. Every inch a workstation.

A work of art.

 

So you wouldn't define it as "laboriously slow", then. What about… Oh, would you consider it "not a desktop"? What about innovations; are you finding it lacking in that department?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #51 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't think that's the mistake. The old iMac was selling just fine through the summer, so the upgraded internals wouldn't have mattered much.

The mistake was taking the old one off the market before the new one was ready to ship.

In retrospect, yes. But maybe they thought it was ready.
post #52 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'd take his place. I'd even accept half the compensation they offered Cook.

Show us your best upside down smile.
post #53 of 58
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post
In retrospect, yes. But maybe they thought it was ready.

 

They purposely DID stop sales, even before the whole manufacturing thing, so they still have to be faulted for that.

 

If they had held off announcing it until they could (famously) "ship today", I don't think as many would have complained. Or at least if they'd taken pre-orders instead of just letting the page sit there for a month… 

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #54 of 58
Those clamouring for Cook's head should remember the following:

- $AAPL reached its greatest height under him.
- He has been de facto CEO of Apple much longer than 12 m.
- Apple has successfully launched a number of new products under his stewardship.
- Apple went thru a few pickles under Jobs's leadership but got off unscathed by holding up his middle finger.
- Unless you've accomplished the equivalent of his fingernail or are on the Apple board, you don't qualify to call for his head.
post #55 of 58
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They purposely DID stop sales, even before the whole manufacturing thing, so they still have to be faulted for that.

If they had held off announcing it until they could (famously) "ship today", I don't think as many would have complained. Or at least if they'd taken pre-orders instead of just letting the page sit there for a month… 

Can't disagree
post #56 of 58
Quote:
- Unless you've accomplished the equivalent of his fingernail or are on the Apple board, you don't qualify to call for his head.

False. Hilarious though. You should give up your lucrative forum posting career and take up comedy full time.
post #57 of 58
I purchased a one of these new iMac's which arrived in Dec. after 1 week it started turning itself off. After a few calls apple said it was likely a hardware issue and replaced it. I received my replacement a week ago... And guess what, after just over a week the new iMac starts having issues again. Once again powering off randomly and displaying the same issues as before.

I hope that these production issues have not resulted in Apple cutting corners on their QA process! Very worrying that the TWO machines that I have had, have had fatal issues.
post #58 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by danneale View Post

I purchased a one of these new iMac's which arrived in Dec. after 1 week it started turning itself off. After a few calls apple said it was likely a hardware issue and replaced it. I received my replacement a week ago... And guess what, after just over a week the new iMac starts having issues again. Once again powering off randomly and displaying the same issues as before.

I hope that these production issues have not resulted in Apple cutting corners on their QA process! Very worrying that the TWO machines that I have had, have had fatal issues.


Make sure it's not overheating. Can you hear the fan inside the case blowing air? Might be an overheating issue. Is there a way to check temperature?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Rumor: Apple suppliers solve iMac production problems, strong sales projected