or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Wozniak on jOBS biopic: 'So far from anything that really happened'

Wozniak on jOBS biopic: 'So far from anything that really happened'

post #1 of 61
At least one critic is unimpressed with what he's seen of the forthcoming Steve Jobs biopic: Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak says Jobs would have been "offended and embarrassed" by Kutcher's portrayal of him in jOBS.

Wozniak's comments came after a sneak peek of Ashton Kutcher and Josh Gad as Jobs and Wozniak debuted on the Internet Thursday. Speaking to "Good Morning America" this week, the Apple co-founder was harshly critical of the first footage to emerge from the film.

"As far as the personalities that were in that scene [laughs] this was just ridiculous. Like Steve Jobs as some sort of 'oh my gosh, I'm the father of society, I've got the ideas that are gonna drive the--' No, he didn't act like that at all."

Wozniak says Jobs didn't embrace the role of tech visionary until much later in his life.

The "Good Morning America" interview is the third time in two days that Wozniak has criticized the film publicly. Initially, he took to the comment thread of a Gizmodo post announcing the clip, saying it appeared the filmmakers got his and Jobs' personalities "very wrong although mine is closer."

He later followed up in an email saying that it was he, not Jobs, who initially recognized the potential in democratizing technology. Jobs, he says, was more interested in monetizing Wozniak's designs.

"The Apple I was the [fifth] time I designed something just for fun that Steve found a way to turn into money, and the Apple ][ was the [sixth] time."

Back with "Good Morning America," Wozniak continued, saying that he thinks the late Jobs would have been "a little offended and embarrassed by it just like myself... I think he would say that was, you know, a little bit too phony."

jOBS, set for release on April 19, covers Jobs' earlier years, including the founding of Apple, through to the company's eventual triumphs and Jobs' death in 2011. The publicist for the film, speaking with Entertainment Weekly, said that the film "is not a documentary, nor is it meant to be a blow by blow, word for word account of all conversations and events... [it] is feature film entertainment about one of the most important, creative and impactful people [in] our culture's history..."

Wozniak did not act as a consultant in the development of jOBS; instead, he was contracted to work on a rival film, due out later from Sony and penned by "The Social Network" scribe Aaron Sorkin. Wozniak leaves open the possibility that the Kutcher film could still be good, noting that he's only watched one scene.

One last thing the film appears to have gotten wrong, though: the wardrobe. Woz says "I never wore a tie or looked like a professional and in that scene I kind of looked like, like a real professional."
post #2 of 61
I can't wait for the other film. 1wink.gif
post #3 of 61

Should've gotten a lesser known actor than Kutcher to play Jobs. 

LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
post #4 of 61
Seems like every one knew this was gonna happen. Honestly. the only contribution this movie has made is it employed people so they could pay their bills. The movie itself is a joke and ashton is not good at playing the role. This will definitely make the Apple haters laugh at all the Apple lovers. 1oyvey.gif
An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #5 of 61
Quote:

Back with "Good Morning America," Wozniak continued, saying that he thinks the late Jobs would have been "a little offended and embarrassed by it just like myself... I think he would say that was, you know, a little bit too phony."

No, he'd say "This is sh*t."

post #6 of 61
From that one clip I will say the acting was TERRIBLE
post #7 of 61

I haven't seen either film, so I'm not going to say which is better or not.

But, there's a clear conflict of interest here. Woz is getting paid by Sony.

post #8 of 61

Here's the problem: We already have this movie. It didn't need a reboot. It needed a sequel.

If they'd literally just called it "Pirates of Silicon Valley II", gotten Noah Wyle to reprise his role, and set it, oh, I don't know, from 1996 ONWARD (since that's the period of time the general public actually knew about Jobs), we might have had something here. Something to which regular people might have related, too.

Instead we get an unneeded rehash of a respectable movie, except with worse actors, worse acting, and with the DISapproval of the people actually involved.

I mean, when a guy like Steve Jobs not only acknowledges the existence of the movie but INVITES THE ACTOR THAT PLAYED HIM TO IMPERSONATE HIM AT ONE OF THEIR OWN EVENTS, you know you have a good actor and at least a passable version of what really happened. Why change that up?!

But then again, it's TMZ. The people who brought us the pictures of Steve just before he died. Expecting class from them is like expecting class from Microsoft.

"Man, that Michael Jordan is just so PHONY!"

Edited by Tallest Skil - 1/26/13 at 1:41pm
post #9 of 61
Ugh that looks so bad. Why would they cast him?
post #10 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Man, that Michael Jordan is just so PHONY!"

clever.  ;)

post #11 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

From that one clip I will say the acting was TERRIBLE

Ditto here. Couldn't be ANY WORSE than the moron-cum-actor Kutcher - terrible trailer, most probably terrible movie; he should stick to Kabbalah and nothing else.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.10.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.10.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.

post #12 of 61
Quote:

Here's the problem: We already have this movie. It didn't need a reboot. It needed a sequel.

If they'd literally just called it "Pirates of Silicon Valley II", gotten Noah Wyle to reprise his role, and set it, oh, I don't know, from 1996 ONWARD (since that's the period of time the general public actually knew about Jobs), we might have had something here. Something to which regular people might have related, too.

Probably would have been better with the "Hi, I'm a Mac" guy before Ashton. 

post #13 of 61
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

I can't wait for the other film. 1wink.gif

Sorkin won't blow it.  He manages to avoid all cliches and find truth.

Having said that, I thought much of The Social Network was boring.

Too many scenes of people sitting in conference rooms looking morose and talking about law suits.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #14 of 61

I had such a great time reading the 'Classic' Apple books back in the day (my favorite being Steve Jobs, The Journey is the Reward), I will force myself to watch any movie or documentary that covers Apple and/or Steve Jobs. Yes, even if that means I have to sit through a few hours with Ashton. Could they have picked a worse actor? What was wrong with Noah Wyle?

I also get a kick out of Woz. From what I've read, it seemed as though he was a true computer nerd. A very talented, self-taught engineer. HIs baby, the Apple I, was a computer hobbyist contraption. The Apple II reflected much more of Jobs' input, hence the nice case and keyboard.

The Macintosh would be the first computer to reflect the obsessive attention to detail and design that drove Jobs. Had Woz been a driving force for the Mac, I'm sure an entirely different product would have emerged. Something closer to a Dell than an Apple. Woz lacked what the other Steve brought to the party - the vision of the future.

His version of history is often different that what I've read. I don't bash him for that. It's natural to want to inflate your contribution. Plus he was great on Dancing with the Stars.

post #15 of 61
It's not about Jobs. Woz is just embarrassed to see himself - short, porky nerd played terribly by a short, porky actor.
post #16 of 61

Why does everyone keep complementing on being so humble, etc? I read iWoz, and most of the book is him basically saying how amazing he is. So basically now, he's saying 'Steve didn't come up with this idea, *I* did. Then he goes on to pitch his book. Woz has pretty much been ragging on Apple and promoting competitors for the past decade. He bashes Apple every opportunity he gets, and slobbers over some new gimmick from any competitor, proclaiming how innovative it is  and wishing Apple was that innovative. The guy has done jack shit the past 2 decades, yet he's idolized and everyone is always foaming at the mouth to get his opinion on anything. He hasn't shown a shred of insight the past 20 years, except living off his Apple stock and bringing attention to himself whenever he can, usually with an anti-Apple comment thats insanely small-minded. 

post #17 of 61

Woz again.

Ugh . . .

1rolleyes.gif

post #18 of 61

Woz sees the obvious:

Terribly unflattering portrait of him, who appears to have been nothing without the visionary "ideas man" that Jobs was. Jobs got all the glory for the past 20 years while Woz sat it out. 

post #19 of 61

It's a bit of a false alternative to pit democratising technology vs monetizing it because you won't be able to democratise anything unless you grow big enough to make a difference first.

Has Woz ever commented on Pirates of Silicon Valley? I notice Tallest mentioned it above, it is also in my DVD collection and I have watched it probably 4 times.

post #20 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Woz sees the obvious:

Terribly unflattering portrait of him, who appears to have been nothing without the visionary "ideas man" that Jobs was. Jobs got all the glory for the past 20 years while Woz sat it out. 

Give the guy a break. He wasn't that "fat" in his younger days and can be excused for objecting to his portrayal. Woz also survived a light plane crash some years back, was lucky to survive, suffered brain injuries and wasn't the same afterwards. You can forgive him "sitting out" the latter years. He wasn't a business high flyer. Just a simple computer engineer. The whole Apple hype overwhelmed him.
post #21 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingeBoy View Post

Ugh that looks so bad. Why would they cast him?

Because this was a nobody writer, nobody director and nobody producer trying to get attention. Movie version of hit whoring off Apple

Because they are nobodies they can't get the budget to hire big names so they had to find actors either just as desperate to work cheap or willing enough to do it to be nice so some young pups trying to get into the business.

As for the movie itself, sounds like Woz forgot this is fiction and not documentary and how do we know he's telling the truth about who said what. Or, assuming he is telling the truth as he remembers it, that he's remembering everything perfectly

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #22 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Sorkin won't blow it.  He manages to avoid all cliches and find truth.

Having said that, I thought much of The Social Network was boring.
Too many scenes of people sitting in conference rooms looking morose and talking about law suits.

There in is the trouble with telling it how it really was. It's not always the best story.

post #23 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

What was wrong with Noah Wyle?

He looks his age, he was likely not avail anyway since he's doing a TV show and he might not have been willing to work cheap.

post #24 of 61
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
He looks his age, he was likely not avail anyway since he's doing a TV show and he might not have been willing to work cheap.

That's the thing: these are why he would have been perfect. He's the right age to play Steve in a movie about the part we haven't seen yet. He's the right actor to play Steve because he did it before, to the real man's approval (at least acknowledgement). And the money shouldn't matter if you care about quality.

post #25 of 61
Quote:

clever.  1wink.gif

I certainly don't get the reference. What am I missing?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #26 of 61
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
I certainly don't get the reference. What am I missing?

Oh, that one episode of Seinfeld where whoever this is (couldn't even find a picture for the longest time) accuses Jerry of being a phony, and when he's called out on it tries to spin 'phony' as having a "modern" definition.

I just think it's interesting that Woz, having "given his blessing" for Kutcher to play Jobs (despite that making zero sense), does a 180 after seeing how it turned out.

post #27 of 61
Quote:

Oh, that one episode of Seinfeld where whoever this is (couldn't even find a picture for the longest time) accuses Jerry of being a phony, and when he's called out on it tries to spin 'phony' as having a "modern" definition.

The Parking Space script.

Quote:

I just think it's interesting that Woz, having "given his blessing" for Kutcher to play Jobs (despite that making zero sense), does a 180 after seeing how it turned out.

He could be okay with Kutcher playing Jobs, and still not be okay with the script.   Actually, it doesn't seem like anyone's in love with it.

post #28 of 61
Quote:

Actor: Lee Arenberg
Character: Mike Moffit
Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZidUzpou4kI&t=4m27s

post #29 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

He could be okay with Kutcher playing Jobs, and still not be okay with the script.   Actually, it doesn't seem like anyone's in love with it.

What you mean is: "Most of the typical Apple-haters here, none of whom has seen the script or the movie, likes it."

I think it's probably worth waiting until the movie is actually out before making a judgment.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #30 of 61
"This movie stinks and it's Tim Cook's fault. Ever since Steve died... " /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #31 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What you mean is: "Most of the typical Apple-haters here, none of whom has seen the script or the movie, likes it."

Nope, that's NOT what I mean.  And what is with thinking that anyone who doesn't like the movie must be an "Apple hater"?  There are plenty of big Apple fans who would rather have had Noah Wyle and a Pirates II movie instead.

I think it's probably worth waiting until the movie is actually out before making a judgment.

That first clip was not impressive.  

Now there have been plenty of people who've already seen it, and commented on or reviewed it.   Check out other forums and news sites.

Edited by KDarling - 1/26/13 at 7:17pm
post #32 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

For once we can say "This would never have happened if Steve Jobs were alive" and it would actually be true.

post #33 of 61
Unsurprised. It's a movie to make money fast, not be an accurate dramatization.
post #34 of 61
Quote:

Woz sees the obvious:

This.

Woz has been an utter failure and nothing more than a glory hound for the past several years (ok decades). I used to have tons of respect for the guy. No more.

post #35 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiman View Post

This.

Woz has been an utter failure and nothing more than a glory hound for the past several years (ok decades). I used to have tons of respect for the guy. No more.

I wonder if Woz even knows your name. Just sayin'

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #36 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I saw a preview on the evening news. The announcer attributed Woz as the man who took over the helm from Steve Jobs. I know the calls are rolling into the station as I type...

I think Tim needs a pr person...

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #37 of 61

Well, on a positive note, at least this film doesn't give you cancer!

(I am right, right?)

Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
post #38 of 61
Quote:

After viewing this one minute sequence, I think the problem is not so much the actors than the scenario and the dialogue ... May be one "garage sequence"  was enough ?

post #39 of 61

Woz was a genius, but geniuses are typically genius at one thing, e.g. Mozart with his music or Faraday with his physics, Woz with his electronics. If you ask their opinion in a field that is not their obsession, go right ahead, but don't expect an answer any better than the average smart person will give, and may even be wrong.

post #40 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Why does everyone keep complementing on being so humble, etc? I read iWoz, and most of the book is him basically saying how amazing he is. So basically now, he's saying 'Steve didn't come up with this idea, *I* did. Then he goes on to pitch his book. Woz has pretty much been ragging on Apple and promoting competitors for the past decade. He bashes Apple every opportunity he gets, and slobbers over some new gimmick from any competitor, proclaiming how innovative it is  and wishing Apple was that innovative. The guy has done jack shit the past 2 decades, yet he's idolized and everyone is always foaming at the mouth to get his opinion on anything. He hasn't shown a shred of insight the past 20 years, except living off his Apple stock and bringing attention to himself whenever he can, usually with an anti-Apple comment thats insanely small-minded. 

I read his book and I have to agree that is the way it comes across. Woz sounds like one of those nerd kids that knows a bit more than his peers, is smug about it, and never grows up. He is damn lucky he was dragged into the formation of a Apple, almost against his will. 

But on that clip.  Man, it is terrible.  Kutcher essentially plays himself in every role.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Wozniak on jOBS biopic: 'So far from anything that really happened'