or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Photos claim to show components bound for Apple's iPhone 5S and iPhone 6

Photos claim to show components bound for Apple's iPhone 5S and iPhone 6

post #1 of 63
Apple's iPhone 5 is still relatively new to store shelves, but a French tech blog claims to have acquired photos of components destined not only the rumored iPhone 5S but the so-called iPhone 6 as well, with one of the models speculated to launch in a matter of months.

NoWhereElse.fr on Friday published the images of what it claims are loud speaker modules for the iPhone 5S and the iPhone 6. The images, the site claims, come from a source connected to an Apple supplier that makes the components.

Supposed iPhone Components

The site contends that Apple will deviate from its normal schedule of releasing one iPhone per year and instead roll out as many as two iPhones in 2013. The iPhone 5S will allegedly serve as an incremental improvement on the iPhone 5, while the iPhone 6 will be a more substantial redesign, though no details were reported as to the possible differences between the two.

A third iPhone model has also been rumored as the so-called iPhone Math (or iPhone +, depending on the interpretation), a larger-screened iPhone meant to give Apple a stake in the nascent but growing "phablet" sector.

The additions to the iPhone line would also come with alterations to Apple's release schedule, according to the report. One of the rumored models would launch between March and July of this year, while a second would be released toward the end of the year.

Supposed iPhone Components

The pictured components, while out of focus, do bear some resemblance to the loud speaker unit from the iPhone 5, which the author of the report superimposed onto one photo for comparison. Based solely on the images, it's difficult to say with any certainty how likely they are to turn up inside a future Apple device.

Should the iPhone 5S and iPhone 6 materialize as described in the report, it certainly wouldn't be the first time components have leaked prior to the release of an Apple device. As recently as this past October, weeks before the launch of the iPad mini, images of the device's front and back panels appeared on the Internet, with photos of the device's Wi-Fi, GPS, and Bluetooth antennas following early on the day of its announcement.

This past month has seen a flurry of rumors about the paths Apple might take with the next generation of its industry-leading smartphones, even though the most recent version debuted only a few months ago and continues to see sales that outstrip supply.

Driven possibly in response to analyst concerns that Apple must make a cheaper iPhone to compete in emerging markets, some reports have the Cupertino company working on a model with polycarbonate backing.

Asked directly about this possibility during the company's quarterly conference call this week, Apple CEO Tim Cook parried the question, saying he would not go into Apple's pricing strategy but that the company "[feels] great about the opportunity of getting products to customers."
post #2 of 63
If we're already seeing leaks then I think it's possible the next iPhone will come sooner than next Autumn.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #3 of 63
I agree...I still hoping for around summer for the next iPhone(s).

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5
120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5
120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #4 of 63

And so it begins. Again.

They can't have an "iPhone +"; they have AppleCare+ and people will think that only applies to that model.

JUST DROP THE FRICKING NUMBERS. I was right in the first place. When the 10th iPhone (iPhone 7) is released with iOS 10… but then again the OS' probably won't still be split by then… 

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #5 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Driven possibly in response to analyst concerns that Apple must make a cheaper iPhone to compete in emerging markets, some reports have the Cupertino company working on a model with polycarbonate backing.

Didn't the 3G and 3GS already have a polycarbonate back?

post #6 of 63
Just for laughs they should name the next one the iPhone 5/s
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
post #7 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Yep. But I never felt Jobs and Ive really loved that phone design. Felt like a compromise until they could get what they really wanted - iPhone 4.
post #8 of 63
If it isn't iPad related or Mac desktop machine related I don't care! Seriously iPhone hides out in my pocket most of the time, iPad and a Mac are machines that get regular use. If there are rumors to seek out look for rumors related to these devices!
post #9 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yep. But I never felt Jobs and Ive really loved that phone design. Felt like a compromise until they could get what they really wanted - iPhone 4.

Actually I disagree.  I honestly believe the iPhone 5 is extremely close (if not exactly) to the design Jobs & Ive actually wanted. 

post #10 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And so it begins. Again.

They can't have an "iPhone +"; they have AppleCare+ and people will think that only applies to that model.

JUST DROP THE FRICKING NUMBERS. I was right in the first place. When the 10th iPhone (iPhone 7) is released with iOS 10… but then again the OS' probably won't still be split by then… 

You work for Apple?  No you don't.  One man rules the world.  I'm right every one else is wrong because my logic is faultless.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #11 of 63

I think they need to stop posting photographs of new products before they are announced.  It takes all the fun out of the actual public release from the company.

post #12 of 63
Quote:

And so it begins. Again.

I'm surprised Apple doesn't call iOS,  iOS X 10.1, .2, .3., .4, .5, .6, .7, .8, etc.  just like they do for the desktop.  One is OS X for the desktop, the other is iOS X for mobile devices.  Just sayin....

post #13 of 63
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post
You work for Apple?  No you don't.  One man rules the world.  I'm right every one else is wrong because my logic is faultless.

So you think the existence of AppleCare, AppleCare+, an iPhone, and an iPhone + wouldn't be confusing to a regular person?

"So I can get AppleCare for my plus?"

"Yep, and plus for your plus."
"But I can't get plus for my iPhone."
"No, you can get plus for your iPhone and plus for your plus."

If I'm wrong, why'd they drop the numbers from the iPad? Why didn't they ever have numbers for the iPod?

Originally Posted by drblank View Post
I think they need to stop posting photographs of new products before they are announced.  It takes all the fun out of the actual public release from the company.

We're a rumor site. It's easy to avoid said pictures, but please don't (or you can just ignore those threads)!

They take the fun out? You can glean the entirety of the product from these individual component leaks? Please share! I always love those debates. Almost as much as I love the speculation on product announcement images. Serious fun.

post #14 of 63
I think the articles on this site are mislabeling the rumored larger iPhone as a phablet when in fact (according to rumors) it's just a larger iPhone. Phone don't become phablets until they cross the 5 inch mark and I recall the rumor being for a 4.6 to 4.8 inch screen. To most of the market that's still well within normal phone territory.
post #15 of 63
Quote:

So you think the existence of AppleCare, AppleCare+, an iPhone, and an iPhone + wouldn't be confusing to a regular person?

"So I can get AppleCare for my plus?"

"Yep, and plus for your plus."
"But I can't get plus for my iPhone."
"No, you can get plus for your iPhone and plus for your plus."

If I'm wrong, why'd they drop the numbers from the iPad? Why didn't they ever have numbers for the iPod?

I think they like diversity so there is not just numbers for all devices.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #16 of 63

Desperation.

post #17 of 63
Who cares about the phone. Give me iOS info- I'm curious where else they can take it and how it can get better.

Also- they won't release iPad and iPhone at same time, so they better pick one or the other (or neither) for the summer. Hopefully it's iPad but iPhone is cool too- I'm happy with either.

More important than any of it? Give me my leaked Apple TV 4 info... Chomping at the bit here.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #18 of 63

If I were to guess, I would assume that a cheaper iPhone would come out in March/April to coincide with a deal with China Mobile.

The iPhone + will come out in the Summer.

The iPhone 5S will come out in the fall in time for holiday season.

That's if any of these rumors are true.

post #19 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

May/June iPhone 5S (modest upgrades to CPU, double storage to 128GB for high end, maybe better camera would be enough)

September/October iPhone 4.7" display, pretty much sames specs as 5S except for faster CPU which would also power the next iPad that could be released at same time.

I was thinking that, but if the 5S come out before the iPhone+, some iPhone 5S buyers would be pissed they didn't have the chance to buy the larger screen options.

So maybe releasing the iPhone+ first would be better?

Another thing I realize is the lining up a queuing in front of Apple stores before the launch of these models is going to die down if the models are spread throughout the year. Less queuing = less positive free press, which would be bad for Apple.

It may be best for them to launch ALL the iPhones at once to keep interest high and the lines long.

post #20 of 63
Quote:

And so it begins. Again.

It would be hard for them to drop the numbers since they sell multiple generations at a time.

The only way I see Apple dropping the numbers is if they introduced an all new low end iPhone (iPhone Mini), to replace the last gen models at the low end.

Then the numbers would be unnecessary and irrelevant. For now we need them.

post #21 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Quote:

This is why I don't believe we'll see a plastic polycarbonate case on the iPhone Mini. I think we'll still see aluminum, much like what we see on the iPods.

post #22 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I'm surprised Apple doesn't call iOS,  iOS X 10.1, .2, .3., .4, .5, .6, .7, .8, etc.  just like they do for the desktop.  One is OS X for the desktop, the other is iOS X for mobile devices.  Just sayin....

That doesn't make sense to me. I understand what you're saying, but the software that ran on the first iPhone was iPhone OS, being derived from OSX. So yeah, a first version for a first product. (Just like there never was a iPhone 1.)

What I don't understand is that after OSX we got 10.0 instead of OS 11. It's all marketing; OS (roman) X just looks better. Heck, my boot drive is called X, because that 'marks the spot'.
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #23 of 63
Quote:

And so it begins. Again.

The OS will always be split.

post #24 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

Actually I disagree.  I honestly believe the iPhone 5 is extremely close (if not exactly) to the design Jobs & Ive actually wanted. 
Could be. But 3G/GS was not. I don't see them going back to plastic unless they have to reach a certain price point and can only reach it by using plastic.
post #25 of 63
Massive speakers compared to the 5. Where did all the room come from?

I have just one word for you: IGZO.

Oh, and maybe plastic, in the case of the 6.
post #26 of 63
Again, I do not see a cheaper phone being released.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/01/26/apple-to-focus-on-software-growth-as-samsung-warns-of-shrinking-hardware-profits

Why would Apple want to compete with smaller margins? They will keep with FREE older generation phones. They might, maybe, give the carrier a pass with the lowest model, but never release a phone designed for the cheaper markets.

Sorry, the real question is, why do people insist Apple release a cheaper phone?
post #27 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/01/26/apple-to-focus-on-software-growth-as-samsung-warns-of-shrinking-hardware-profits

Why would Apple want to compete with smaller margins? They will keep with FREE older generation phones. They might, maybe, give the carrier a pass with the lowest model, but never release a phone designed for the cheaper markets.

Sorry, the real question is, why do people insist Apple release a cheaper phone?

Likewise no one was making a profit on 7 inch tablets, but that didnt stop Apple from making an iPad Mini.

Just because the other manufacturers can't figure out how to make a profit from sub-$500 smart phones doesn't mean Apple won't be able to.

If Apple makes a lower cost iPhone they are going to do it right without hurting their margins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Massive speakers compared to the 5. Where did all the room come from?

I have just one word for you: IGZO.

Oh, and maybe plastic, in the case of the 6.

I expect to see liquid metal in the iPhone 6. Not plastic. Actually I don't think we're going to see the 6 this year as this rumor says.
post #28 of 63
Quote:

I suspect Apple will always continue to have a premium phone and a cheaper phone. In most cases, the 'cheaper phone' will be the previous generation. It's possible that they might go even further and release a SLIGHTLY cheaper phone that was designed that way, but not in the $99-149 range that the analysts are begging for. There would be too many compromises.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #29 of 63
Quote:

I agree.  The white plastic MacBook always felt like that to me also.  Once they went unibody, it always felt like a placeholder wherein the material is just being used because of costs.  Especially when they made it "unibody carbonate."

This is out of left field but ... everyone assumes when polycarbonate is mentioned that it will be like an iPhone 3Gs, but they could instead make it exactly the same as an iPhone 5 but carve the back out of a plastic block instead of an aluminium one. It would make for a phone that looks a lot like an iPhone 5, comes in colours, is even *lighter*, and wouldn't need a case.  If it had a plastic front-piece instead of gorilla glass it would be almost indestructible. It would bounce when you dropped it instead of shattering.  It might even float.  

Everyone knows the old plastic phones have a way of hanging around for a lot longer than the more precious models if the internals are up to snuff, despite being scarred and scratched.  I'd love to see Apple make a cheap, almost indestructible off-contract phone like that.  Knowing Apple they'd make the absolute *best* cheap-ass phone out there.  I'm sure it would be a legend if it ever happens. 

post #30 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Likewise no one was making a profit on 7 inch tablets, but that didnt stop Apple from making an iPad Mini.

Just because the other manufacturers can't figure out how to make a profit from sub-$500 smart phones doesn't mean Apple won't be able to.

If Apple makes a lower cost iPhone they are going to do it right without hurting their margins.
I expect to see liquid metal in the iPhone 6. Not plastic. Actually I don't think we're going to see the 6 this year as this rumor says.

Correct, and a good idea. I forgot about Liquid Metal. But they are going to pull off something, technology-wise. They always innovate, it's just that some people can't perceive what they do as innovation. Unless it's something on the package level that they can see, and even then sometimes not, as with the new iMacs . . .
post #31 of 63
Quote:

And so it begins. Again.

I'm not sure if this is agreeing with you or disagreeing, since I'm not sure what that ellipsis is doing up there, but the confusion is not in the numbers, it's in selling multiple generations of a product at the same time.  This is what people find seriously confusing and it's not just the dummies either.  How could this *not* be confusing?  I get locked into talks like with groups all day sometimes and most people in the room get confused at one point over which version of the iPad we are talking about.  

We sometimes talk about deploying this or that iPad version in this or that situation/environment and invariably someone has to pop over to Apple's website in the middle of the discussion to remind themselves of which version we are actually talking about and what features it has.  Then people start looking at the info on the screen and begin arguing over which is which.  Most people aren't even sure which version they personally have in their hands at this point.  Then someone always pops up with "Wait a minute, I just bought this iPad a little while ago, there are three generations/types listed on the website, but none of them are mine?  What's going on?" 

It's a pretty ridiculous strategy from the consumer point of view even though I can see why they do it.  It makes more sense to me to go back to having one version of each product available, and last years model in the refurbished section. Period. Done.  If they need to do cheap, it makes more sense to me to make a cheap plastic phone.  iPads are cheap enough that I don't see the need for any "low cost" option at all. 

post #32 of 63
Quote:

No, the real question is, why do people not understand that "Free phones" are not free?

Let's say I get a "free" iphone on AT&T. That's $90 per month for the plan I used, so $2160 over the 2 year contract period.

Now, compare that to my StraightTalk plan - which actually provides better service (unlimited everything). $45 per month - or $1080 over 2 years.

So your "free" iPhone costs me $1080.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #33 of 63
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post
The OS will always be split.

I dunno, you know. I'm not saying it'll be identical code across both sets, but… 

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
…it's in selling multiple generations of a product at the same time.  This is what people find seriously confusing and it's not just the dummies either.

There doesn't seem to be much problem with selling the iPad 2 alongside the iPad.

How could this *not* be confusing?

"So that's the new one?"
"No, that's the new one."

"Oh, okay."

I get locked into talks like with groups all day sometimes and most people in the room get confused at one point over which version of the iPad we are talking about.

I don't get that. Just use colloquialisms. "iPads 1, 2, 3, and 4; they don't sell 1 or 3 anymore." If they had dropped the numbers, you'd be talking about deploying an "iPad" in a situation. You'd pick based on your hardware requirements, and then it's no different from picking out a Mac and BTOing it. Is that confusing?

Originally Posted by blairh View Post
Also it does not support MMS…

Well, this, at least, is wrong. jragosta can confirm that and can probably say if you're wrong about data and VV.

post #34 of 63
Quote:

Ah, no. 

Straight Talk does not provide LTE data. Furthermore it is not unlimited everything. There is a 2 GB monthly data limit. Also it does not support MMS or visual voicemail. 

I think ST is a great service but you are getting superior features with Verizon or AT&T. 

You're wrong about most of your comments:

1. There is no 2 GB monthly limit. It's unlimited data.
https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home/shop/serviceplans/!ut/p/b1/04_SjzQ0MzE2NzY2sTTXj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOJdDLx8jQMdPYyCPMxNDTwDPJyD3c39DEwcjfXD9aPASgxwAEcDqAJcZhiY41fg72ak7-eRn5uqnxvl5ZrmqKgIAMyNXe4!/?s=y

There is a $30 per month plan that's limited to 30 MB per month, so if your needs are limited, you could save even more.

2. It most certainly does support MMS - I use it all the time. Granted, some people find that they have to jump through hoops to set it up, but to save $1,000, it's worth it.

3. Visual voicemail is not supported natively, but there are plenty of third party apps that offer it for a couple of bucks.

The only thing you're correct about is that it doesn't support LTE at this time. That is the one limitation - and certainly not worth over $1,000 to me. I suspect that it will be added at some time in the future, anyway.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #35 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is out of left field but ... everyone assumes when polycarbonate is mentioned that it will be like an iPhone 3Gs, but they could instead make it exactly the same as an iPhone 5 but carve the back out of a plastic block instead of an aluminium one. It would make for a phone that looks a lot like an iPhone 5, comes in colours, is even *lighter*, and wouldn't need a case.  If it had a plastic front-piece instead of gorilla glass it would be almost indestructible. It would bounce when you dropped it instead of shattering.  It might even float.

I like this idea.

Unibody polycarbonate akin to the MacBook would keep the iPhone thin as well, and not bulbous like the 3G/3GS.

post #36 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

There are no FREE older models for around 75% of the world. That is what you are missing. The iPhone 4 is free on contract with a 2 year contract in America, but might cost Europeans, Asian, or Latin Americans over $500. They need a phone to compete in the world market, not just in the land of contract subsidies which is but a minority. 

I agree with this. I can offer a first hand report on Latin America; last year I was seeing a lot of older jail broken iPhones, however this year the large majority of the young professionals are using Samsung big screen phones. Not sure why the change in such a short period of time but the trend is quite noticeable. I love having my iPhone 4 officially unlocked by AT&T for use abroad. Works like a charm with a pay as you go plan. No more crappy feature phones just for local sim card.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #37 of 63
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
3. Visual voicemail is not supported natively, but there are plenty of third party apps that offer it for a couple of bucks.

Do you think that will change now that they offer the iPhone legitimately?

post #38 of 63
I'm not saying ST isn't a great service, but your original post wasn't truthful. 

Please stop. He has an iPhone on Straight Talk. He knows. It's just that simple.

It does not support MMS. People have been able to get MMS working

See, even you know it's wrong.

post #39 of 63
What are you talking about? Straight Talk has a 2 GB data limit otherwise you get throttled. Why are you telling me not correct someone? Are you serious right now???

Because if he says they don't, he would know, as he's actually using the device in question on the network in question.

post #40 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Let's say I get a "free" iphone on AT&T. That's $90 per month for the plan I used, so $2160 over the 2 year contract period.

Now, compare that to my StraightTalk plan - which actually provides better service (unlimited everything). $45 per month - or $1080 over 2 years.

So your "free" iPhone costs me $1080.

Minor quibble:  the guy on contract also got the phone included, so isn't the difference really  $1080 - price of phone ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Other manufacturers are making a profit, just not the 50% that Apple does on their newest model.   For example, on the opposite end of the spectrum, sub $150 phones are making a comparatively low profit margin, under 15%.

But manufacturers also sell a lot of $200 - $250 off-contract smartphones worldwide.  That's still low enough to attract a lot of buyers who want a really decent device, and thus is the price slot that analysts want Apple to target.  Whether they will or not, is the question, of course.   However, it sure seems like they could make a $299 retail phone and still make a decent  profit.

We know, for example, that Apple was willing to get only about $130 above BOM for the iPad Mini.  So, can they make a low end $300 retail iPhone for $170 BOM?   I would think so.  Heck, that's what the iPhone 4 must be costing them by now.   So the bigger question is, can they make a $250 retail phone? Depends on what they're willing to leave out.

Quote:

Liquid Metal makes no sense for a cheap phone.  For one thing, it's not radio transparent like plastic.  For another, unless Apple has come up with a breakthrough, it's more costly.   The only reason to use it is to make pieces less susceptible to showing scratches, etc.

The funny thing about Liquid Metal (tm) to me, is that its characteristics are really more like "plastic pewter".   In fact, a major selling point of it is that it can be molded like plastic.  But no one would get excited about a dull name like that !

Edited by KDarling - 1/27/13 at 9:35am
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Photos claim to show components bound for Apple's iPhone 5S and iPhone 6
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Photos claim to show components bound for Apple's iPhone 5S and iPhone 6