or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Photos claim to show components bound for Apple's iPhone 5S and iPhone 6
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Photos claim to show components bound for Apple's iPhone 5S and iPhone 6 - Page 2

post #41 of 63
Originally Posted by blairh View Post
Do you realize I'm right regarding this service? Do you realize that Straight Talk does indeed throttle after you reach 2 GB of data before a month's period? Do you realize you are insisting that he is right just because he has this service? So he's automatically right just because he uses Straight Talk? 

 

Well, then we have two people using the same service receiving different results. I'd think you'd want to contact Straight Talk and find out why they're lying to you and not him, then.


Is it really impossible that I may know more ST them him even though I'm not a customer?

 

That's like asking if it's impossible to know exactly what Apple's doing before they tell the world.

 

The answer is no, but it's insanely unlikely.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #42 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Liquid Metal makes no sense for a cheap phone.  For one thing, it's not radio transparent like plastic.  For another, unless Apple has come up with a breakthrough, it's more costly.   The only reason to use it is to make pieces less susceptible to showing scratches, etc.

 

The funny thing about Liquid Metal (tm) to me, is that its characteristics are really more like "plastic pewter".   In fact, a major selling point of it is that it can be molded like plastic.  But no one would get excited about a name like that.

Aluminum isn't radio transparent either which is why they used glass inserts top and bottom on the iPhone 5.

 

Under the right conditions LM could be faster, less labor and safer due to no polishing required. I think it is a matter of cost more than anything else.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #43 of 63
Folks am I the only one that finds these articles so ridiculous? What if I boldly say, Ford will be coming out with a new redesigned Ford Taurus. Here's the video component for the rear view camera.
post #44 of 63
Originally Posted by blairh View Post
The fact is that Straight Talk will seriously throttle your data if you pass the 2 GB per month. This isn't something I came up with. It's not a rumor. It's a fact.

 

Then why isn't it true? Because, again, we have evidence of actual network use here, and we're told it's not true.


I find it utterly absurd that you side with someone for the simple reason that they are a ST customer.

 

I find it utterly absurd that you don't seem to comprehend the fact that THEY WOULD KNOW THESE THINGS.


My mind is blown. Did you ever think that maybe I know a great deal about ST because I did my homework before deciding not to join?

 

Forgive me if I'm not sold on the opinion of someone who doesn't actually know versus someone who has lived it.

 

You can read all the books he wrote and all the books written by any of the men that followed him, but I think I'll directly talk to Buzz Aldrin if I want to know what it's like to walk on the effing moon.


Unbelievable. 

 

Indeed!

 

6. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED TALK, TEXT AND MOBILE WEB ACCESS PLAN INTENDED USE: Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plans may ONLY be used with a Straight Talk handset for the following purposes: (i) Person to Person Voice Calls (ii) Text and Picture Messaging (iii) Internet browsing through the Straight Talk Mobile Web Service and (iv) Authorized Content Downloads from the Straight Talk Mobile Web Store.

 

Okay, so what's prohibited?


Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections.

 

Sounds about right. No VoIP, no MMS spamming (since spam is illegal anyway), no copying of broadcast video, no server creation, and no piracy.


The Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plan is for individual use only and not for resale. Unlimited voice services may not be used for any other purposes, including, but not limited to, conference calling

 

See, except all phones allow this with one click. So they won't actually prevent this.


Straight Talk reserves the right to limit or reduce data throughput speeds or the amount of data transferred, and to deny or terminate Service, without notice, to anyone Straight Talk believes is using the Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plan in any manner prohibited above or whose usage, in Straight Talk’s sole discretion, adversely impacts the Carrier’s network or customer service levels.

 

Here's what you're claiming. Now show me where it says "2GB" anywhere in there. In fact, they go on to outline situations in which this would happen.


(1) appear likely to generate abnormally high call volumes or Mobile Web Access and data usage and/or abnormally long average call lengths or Mobile Web Access and data usage as compared to the usage of other Straight Talk customers; (2) may be harmful, disruptive, or interfere with the Carrier’s network or Straight Talk or the Carrier’s ability to provide service to other customers.

 

Expressly forbidden data services are


7. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR: (1) access to the Internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit, or (2) any applications that tether your device to a laptop or personal computer other than for the use of Wireless Sync.

 

And there you go.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #45 of 63

All you have to is Google "straight talk 2gb limit" to find a lot of info.

 

Reportedly, what happens is this:

 

Quote:
"Based on user-reported experiences, Straight Talk won’t cut you off provided you keep your monthly usage to 2 GB or about 100 MB per day. Hit either of these and you might get a message about excessive use, along with the threat of service termination.
 
"History shows that I use about 1 to 1.5 GB of mobile broadband a month on my phones (I use Wi-Fi a ton), so this works well for me. If you want truly unlimited data or use more than 2 GB per month on your phone, this isn’t the plan for you. Don’t even try it, would be my recommendation.
 
"Note: I asked Straight Talk about the limit and was told that company is trying to “focus on trust and communication with customers.” It’s likely that TracFone has no way to throttle after any limits, since it doesn’t operate the networks. As a result, the company will warn folks for excessive use and potentially disrupt service if you don’t limit your usage."

 

In other words, ST's contract with the carriers must cost them more after 2GB.   They can't throttle you, but they can harrass and/or cut you off.

 

This is all off topic anyway.  Perhaps all the Straight Talk posts can be moved into their own thread?

post #46 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Liquid Metal makes no sense for a cheap phone.  For one thing, it's not radio transparent like plastic.  For another, unless Apple has come up with a breakthrough, it's more costly.   The only reason to use it is to make pieces less susceptible to showing scratches, etc.

 

The funny thing about Liquid Metal (tm) to me, is that its characteristics are really more like "plastic pewter".   In fact, a major selling point of it is that it can be molded like plastic.  But no one would get excited about a dull name like that !

 

I agree LM makes no sense for a sub-$500 phone. I was talking about LM in reference to the iPhone 6 which I imagine will be the next flagship iPhone.

 

I would love for Apple to use aluminum for the affordable iPhone, but if they use plastic I would hope it's tasteful, and not like the 3G/3GS.

post #47 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I like this idea.

Unibody polycarbonate akin to the MacBook would keep the iPhone thin as well, and not bulbous like the 3G/3GS.
Sorry not seeing plastic. We didn't get a plastic unibody iPad mini, why would we get a plastic lower priced phone? If we even get a lower priced phone. Cook was pretty clear on the investor call that Apple won't go after revenue for revenue's sake.
post #48 of 63
Originally Posted by blairh View Post
ST does not address the throttling in their T.O.S. You have proven nothing.  

 

"Hey, jragosta, you're a Straight Talk customer, and you use data, do they throttle the data?"
"No, they don't throttle the data."

 

Yep. Proven nothing.

 

If it's not in the TOS, they can't legally do it.


If that isn't enough, hopefully Consumer Reports is enough of a trustworthy source for you.

 

No, they're not in the slightest. That's funny, though, that you'd top your argument off with them.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #49 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I would love for Apple to use aluminum for the affordable iPhone, but if they use plastic I would hope it's tasteful, and not like the 3G/3GS.

 

I know some people don't, but I always put a case on each device that I carry around, both for protection and to make it easier to grip.

 

Heck, most people I know have some kind of protective case on their iPhone or iPad.   A rubberized or hard shell or leather case is really common.

 

So, for me and a lot of people, the stock back material is rarely seen.

post #50 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


Sorry not seeing plastic. We didn't get a plastic unibody iPad mini, why would we get a plastic lower priced phone? If we even get a lower priced phone. Cook was pretty clear on the investor call that Apple won't go after revenue for revenue's sake.

 

I've said before I'd prefer aluminum over plastic for a cheaper iPhone, but Gazoobee's idea for a unibody polycarbonate frame made in the same way as the iPhone 5's aluminum chassis would be a good solution also. Anything is better than the bulbous 3GS look or Galaxy S look.

post #51 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

I know some people don't, but I always put a case on each device that I carry around, both for protection and to make it easier to grip.

Heck, most people I know have some kind of protective case on their iPhone or iPad.   A rubberized or hard shell or leather case is really common.

 
So, for me and a lot of people, the stock back material is rarely seen.

Most people I see have cases too. This is the first year I haven't had a case that has the back coveted (although my cases were always slim). I, now, merely have a bumper and a media devil front and back wrap on my iPhone 5. I love it- can't believe I used to hide how gorgeous the iPhone is. Never again. 1smile.gif

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #52 of 63

The new China-only phone will be called the 光荣电话聚碳酸酯.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #53 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The new China-only phone will be called the 光荣电话聚碳酸酯.

 

Hahaha!    "Glorious Polycarbonate Phone"


Edited by KDarling - 1/27/13 at 1:19pm
post #54 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 

Hahaha!    "Glorious Polycarbonate Phone"

 

这款手机是一款奇妙可爱的美丽的东西。所有公民将需要一个更大的利益。


Edited by SpamSandwich - 1/27/13 at 1:26pm

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #55 of 63

There's no longer anything "nascent" about the market for larger-than-the-iPhone's-sized screens. Inferring otherwise (even if 4.8" phones are NOT "phablets") is to live in denial of what's all around us.

Seeing all the phones at Best Buy together, the Note II is too big for my ways of carrying a phone around, but the iPhone screen seems very (and artificially) constrained compared to much of the competition - especially for a device I'll mostly be using with two hands (to type) or none (while watching content/listening to music) - making the purity of maintaining "one hand operation ergonomics" the overriding design decision faintly ridiculous for my tastes.  (NTM the height of the iP5 makes that impossible for many already, so a shibboleth in reality as well.)

Apple's mastery of creating Reality Distortion Fields is boding to lock themselves inside of their own RDF.

Also, more than "faintly" ridiculous is the notion that the world's (until this week) largest enterprise (by stock market value) cannot (and by the lights of many on these forums should not) produce more than one current model of phone, especially since it took them less than half the iPhone's lifetime to date to ship two form factors of iPads.

And the above, plus stories like this one, have me on the fence:  http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/27/3922500/apple-has-a-porn-problem-and-its-about-to-get-worse

There are "walled gardens" that protect us from things we all need to be protected from (malware, mis-behaving apps that make our devices less-functional, etc.) and then there are blue-nosed prisons that "protect us from ourselves" (and horror of horrors, images of boobs!) which I have no desire to voluntarily lock myself inside of..  

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #56 of 63
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

…making the purity of maintaining "one hand operation ergonomics" the overriding design decision faintly ridiculous for my tastes.

 

Name a pre-Android phone that you couldn't use with one hand. Any phone at any time.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #57 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Name a pre-Android phone that you couldn't use with one hand. Any phone at any time.

 

What would be the point in that? They were entirely different kinds of devices used for much more limited purposes.

However to answer your Q (I think - as perhaps you're referring to iPhones only, and not the phones of the pre-iPhone era, though there were those MS "smart" phones you had to use a stylus with, so there's one IN the iPhone timeline you certainly couldn't fully use one handed), I've always texted with two thumbs or forefingers, and have always held phones in one hand to dial with the other. 


So the idea of dialing (let along TXTing) with the hand I'm using to the hold the phone seems (diff strokes for diff folks notwithstanding) clumsy to the max.... ..whether on a Blackberry, any dumb phone or even the first iPhone....

 

#onehandedphoningisoverrated

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #58 of 63
I'm just wondering out of these 3 phones, which one should I wait for, because my contract is up in November from Verizon and I don't want to buy a phone that reminds me of my phone that I want to upgrade especially if its gonna be a cheaper flashy colorful plastic phone, or a phone that's almost the size or if it is the size of the iPad mini. Sorry Apple, but I am a man's man, and I will not go out like the trendy Japanese people do and carry a "man's bag." I am comfortable with my sexual identity but that's where I draw the line lol. I just want to have the latest newest phone with the best of everything.
post #59 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh View Post

With respect to data limits, you cannot be more wrong. 

There is indeed a 2 GB monthly data limit. ST will throttle your service if you go over this monthly cap. You clearly don't know what you are talking about. If you don't believe me Google "2 GB monthly data limit straight talk" and you'll see countless sources.

It does not support MMS. People have been able to get MMS working via jailbreaks and other methods using an iPhone 4 and 4S. To my knowledge this has not been worked out on the iPhone 5. The fact is that MMS is not officially supported. 

Again, it does support Visual Voicemail. Yes there are workarounds. 

I seriously doubt LTE is coming to ST anytime soon. 

I'm not saying ST isn't a great service, but your original post wasn't truthful. 

Look - I have Straight Talk on three phones and you're just plain wrong.

1. Straight Talk's terms of service specifically state that it's unlimited. I've gone over 2 GB several times and not been cut off. I'm not going to rely on some rumormongers (who may work for AT&T for all I know) when my own experience and Straight Talks' public terms of service say that there's no cap.

2. MMS - you're wrong again. I have iOS on an iPhone 4S on Straight Talk and did not have to jailbreak or any other method. As soon as I upgraded to iOS 6, it worked. No problems at all. As for 'not supported', when I was using iOS 5, they walked me through the process of getting it working. Why did they do that if they don't support it?

Please stop spreading lies.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #60 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Name a pre-Android phone that you couldn't use with one hand. Any phone at any time.

 

ANY phone at ANY time? 

 

Okay, I would say that the 1994 IBM Simon ... the world's first smartphone:.. wasn't very easy to use with one hand:

 

 

Ditto for the Nokia Communicator series that was popular for years, dating back to 1996.  It had function keys far away beside the screen and at the top of the rather large keyboard, when the phone was opened up to type emails, etc.

 

 

How about the 2004 Nokia 6829, a mutant with a secret two-handed keyboard that flipped out:

 

I'm sure I can find more.  These were just laying around in my files on smartphone history.

 

Also, with most of the smartphones with resistive touchscreens and no physical keyboard, you really needed two hands (one to hold, one with stylus) to enter text on the super tiny stock onscreen keyboard.

 

 

Which brings up the main reason that many older smartphones (e.g. Windows Mobile, Palm Treo) were usable with one hand... it was because they included a cursor pad, which allowed choosing anything on the screen while barely moving your thumb.  
 
For that matter, with the iPhone, multi-touch is really difficult with only one hand.  I hate zooming far in on an iOS device, and having no easy way to zoom back out.  Going in is easy, because you can double-tap.  Out is harder, because many apps don't support going back out again with just one finger :-)

Edited by KDarling - 1/27/13 at 6:58pm
post #61 of 63

Can't wait for months of these stories, with every photo of a blurry screw being reported on. AppleInsider should be above this crap, instead this has become like every other site cross-posting this trash. This may or not be a photo of a blurry internal component for a future Apple device. Who gives a shit either way? Nothing of use can be ascertained from the photo, it's simply hit-whoring. 

post #62 of 63
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post
What would be the point in that? They were entirely different kinds of devices used for much more limited purposes.

 

Because while they're still called 'phones', it's a valid point.


(I think - as perhaps you're referring to iPhones only, and not the phones of the pre-iPhone era…

 

No, I meant any phone from any era at any time. That's probably why I said "any phone at any time".


Originally Posted by KDarling View Post
ANY phone at ANY time? 

 

Each of those can be used with one hand. You see my point; even when their functionality extends beyond that of just being a phone, all of them can still be used with one hand! It's just not the case as of the most recent models. 

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #63 of 63
Easily faked
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Photos claim to show components bound for Apple's iPhone 5S and iPhone 6
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Photos claim to show components bound for Apple's iPhone 5S and iPhone 6