or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs' 'fruitarian' diet put 'jOBS' actor Ashton Kutcher in hospital
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steve Jobs' 'fruitarian' diet put 'jOBS' actor Ashton Kutcher in hospital - Page 2

post #41 of 61
This is PR hype. The movie is probably a dud. Even Woz said the movie made him roll his eyes.
post #42 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Thankfully fruit isn't "100% sugar" and he wasn't a fruitarian for very long, so it very probably wasn't responsible.

 

Our body can extract energy it need for living only from sugar (carbohydrate) fats (Lipids) and proteins, fruits are not a good sources of fats and proteins and only offer sugar as energy for the body to process.  

 

Steves Jobs has being fruitarian since the 70's

post #43 of 61
"First of all, the fruitarian diet can lead to like severe issues," Kutcher explained. "I went to the hospital like two days before we started shooting the movie. I was like doubled over in pain."

Even this stunt - Kutcher going all Daniel Day Lewis - won't be enough to get me in front of this movie.
post #44 of 61
It's natural for actors to "believe" in a spiritual kinship -- it's their ability to BELIEVE that makes them good actors. Why do you think that every new-found spiritual guru gets a foothold in Hollywood first? Kutcher isn't very different than every other actor I've met on that score. It shouldn't be a criticism nor should it be words to live by; Actors NEED to be empathetic and convinced of the "meaning" of whatever task they are employed in - because they sell the reality to us. Ashton Kutcher for this very reason will prove to be a good actor eventually, because he's jumping in with both feet. The rest of civilization doesn't need to be believers in everything, because it doesn't really help to get things done, and after about 6 months, Krishnu or Chamballah or the holy Pooh Bear still hasn't answered and there is something else bright, shiny and spiritual around the corner. Kaballah here we come! >> And BTW, Ashton failed to do the "Paleo Diet" correctly; he's supposed to be eating nuts with all that fruit -- otherwise no protein and things like the Pancreas and Kidneys are going to get angry with him. As long as he doesn't start taking prescription meds like sleeping pills, he probably won't die. Nothing will take out a celebrity faster than prescription meds. Stick with the illegal stuff if you want to last.
post #45 of 61
Like Kutcher is like, so wicked talented, like seriously.
post #46 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Like OMG!  I thought the same thing, fo' reelz.  Word?

Ugh.

On a serious note, I can't decide if I want to see this movie or not.  It lost a bit for me when Woz said it's nothing like what really happened.  Guess we'll see.  And I can guarantee you it's going to be hard for me to see Kutcher as Jobs, I still see him as Kelso when I'm watching 2 1/2 men.

I agree completely. I was bothered by the fact that Mr. Wozniak said it wasn't like anything that had actually happened, so I'm already biased against it. And, Kutcher sounded like a fool using "like" in the manner in which he did.
post #47 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Bah! You can't run out of fish. 

 

There will always be more.  That's what "more" means!

post #48 of 61
Fascinating watching these comments trashing Kutcher about a movie and performance they haven't seen, and as a person (who they don't know.)

The level of snark is sad.
post #49 of 61
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post
Of course you can. Japan is running out of red tuna for example and the species is going to be extinct if we all continue eating it that much.

 

No, you just breed more. 


Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
You guys are a bunch of whining babies.

 

Spot on Kutcher impression.


Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

Steves Jobs has being fruitarian since the 70's

 

And that's completely false.


Originally Posted by Conrail View Post
There will always be more.  That's what "more" means!

 

Now, I probably know that line from a different place than you. Where'd you first hear it?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #50 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And that's completely false.

 

 

Can you enlighten me about SJ diet ?  From everything I've read about Steve Jobs as always report his radical diet taste, Yes he eats others stuff too but fruits was is base diet and has many period in his life eating nothing but fruits. 

post #51 of 61
Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post
Can you enlighten me about SJ diet ?  From everything I've read about Steve Jobs as always report his radical diet taste, Yes he eats others stuff too but fruits was is base diet and has many period in his life eating nothing but fruits. 

 

Sure.


After a whole year (this would be roughly when he was 20) as a fruitarian, cultivating apples at a hippie commune, Jobs switched to a vegan diet, which he kept his whole life — with the exception of Japanese food. He used to love suhi and soba, and reportedly even created the original "sashimi shoba", to be served at Apple's cafeteria.
 
His favorite toppings were fatty tuna, salmon, yellowtail, ocean trout, sea bream, mackerel, and saltwater eel. He was also a regular at the Fraiche yoghurt cafe in Palo Alto, and the local Whole Foods where he would go pick up whole wheat bread and vegetables
 
He never drank alcohol besides the occasional glass of wine….

 

Also, of course, peanut butter and ice cream, but he seems to have been forcing himself to eat the latter.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #52 of 61
Um.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Humans are carnivorous. We need at least some meat because it contains iron and other nutrients you can't get from just fruits and vegetables, which is why Steve probably got pancreatic cancer. In my life I have not known one middle-aged vegetarian that lived to be an elderly vegetarian. Ashton obviously didn't talk to a doctor first before changing to such an extreme diet.
No. Spend a few minutes reading about actual vegetarians and vegans next time.
post #53 of 61
Vegan except for fish?? That's not vegan at all!
post #54 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Humans are carnivorous. We need at least some meat because it contains iron and other nutrients you can't get from just fruits and vegetables, which is why Steve probably got pancreatic cancer. In my life I have not known one middle-aged vegetarian that lived to be an elderly vegetarian. Ashton obviously didn't talk to a doctor first before changing to such an extreme diet.

 

I think you meant omnivorous but some of your point is correct.  The typical American these days eats way too much red meat (red meats used to be very expensive) & way too much sugar/starch.  Also, it isn't good to totally cut fat from your diet, your body actually needs fat (not trans fat).  There are a lot of diets out there & BS ideas about what's healthy but the best weight loss methods are the same old ones that your grandparents used.

 

1) Take in fewer calories than you burn because the extra calories go to fat.  

2) Exercise regularly, bonus is you can consume more calories if you are burning more.

 

There are other things to consider too like avoiding processed foods where you can but it's ok to consume some (not a lot).  Just remember that processed foods have been stripped of many (not all) of the essential nutrients your body needs for proper digestion so eating a lot of processed foods leaves you less satisfied. It's also a good idea to eat at least 3 meals a day & usually the larger of the 3 should be breakfast so you have energy to do your job.  Eating a large dinner means probably a good portion of that will turn right into fat after you go to sleep.

 

A lot of this should be common sense but unfortunately most people continue to believe these fad diets like South Beach or Atkins because they have rapid weight loss.  Problem is the natural result of your body loosing weight that rapidly is to go into starvation mode where your metabolism slows & you gain the weight back much more easily.  The end result is usually severe fatigue & regaining all that you once lost.

post #55 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

Our body can extract energy it need for living only from sugar (carbohydrate) fats (Lipids) and proteins, fruits are not a good sources of fats and proteins and only offer sugar as energy for the body to process.  

Steves Jobs has being fruitarian since the 70's

Fat's can be used as long term or emergency energy. Proteins are not a source of energy but in fact require energy to build, An average cell might contain 50,000 different proteins and making these does not come cheap.

The energy currency of the the body is the ATP molecule and by cleaving one oxygen atom off, releases a lot of energy held in the atomic bond. Further sugar, is rearranged from it's constituent C, O, and H atoms water and carbon dioxide in order to gain the energy to rebuild the ATP molecules.
post #56 of 61
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post
Vegan except for fish?? That's not vegan at all!


Correct, it's pescetarian.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #57 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

I think you meant omnivorous but some of your point is correct.  The typical American these days eats way too much red meat (red meats used to be very expensive) & way too much sugar/starch.  Also, it isn't good to totally cut fat from your diet, your body actually needs fat (not trans fat).  There are a lot of diets out there & BS ideas about what's healthy but the best weight loss methods are the same old ones that your grandparents used.

1) Take in fewer calories than you burn because the extra calories go to fat.  
2) Exercise regularly, bonus is you can consume more calories if you are burning more.

There are other things to consider too like avoiding processed foods where you can but it's ok to consume some (not a lot).  Just remember that processed foods have been stripped of many (not all) of the essential nutrients your body needs for proper digestion so eating a lot of processed foods leaves you less satisfied. It's also a good idea to eat at least 3 meals a day & usually the larger of the 3 should be breakfast so you have energy to do your job.  Eating a large dinner means probably a good portion of that will turn right into fat after you go to sleep.

A lot of this should be common sense but unfortunately most people continue to believe these fad diets like South Beach or Atkins because they have rapid weight loss.  Problem is the natural result of your body loosing weight that rapidly is to go into starvation mode where your metabolism slows & you gain the weight back much more easily.  The end result is usually severe fatigue & regaining all that you once lost.

It's much easier to follow these simple rules. Eat like a King for breakfast, like a prince for lunch and like a pauper for dinner.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #58 of 61
Plenty of trolls here:

http://www.30bananasaday.com/
post #59 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post


Fat's can be used as long term or emergency energy. Proteins are not a source of energy but in fact require energy to build, An average cell might contain 50,000 different proteins and making these does not come cheap.

The energy currency of the the body is the ATP molecule and by cleaving one oxygen atom off, releases a lot of energy held in the atomic bond. Further sugar, is rearranged from it's constituent C, O, and H atoms water and carbon dioxide in order to gain the energy to rebuild the ATP molecules.

 

The Krebs cycle inside cells is producing ATP from ADP, energy is stored and released by cleaving a phosphate atom (not oxygen), It mainly use glucose but fat and lastly proteins can be process to produce ATP.  That is said, we need equal part of glucose, lipids and proteins in our food to stay healthy. 

post #60 of 61
a Fruit only diet plus LSD is probably a bad mix.
post #61 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post


I think you mean 'complete' protein. Which means the 8 proteins out of the 22 that dna codes for, that we cannot produce. Lots of things contain complete protein, like potatoes for example. In other words it's possible to live on potatoes, which would also be a good source of carbohydrates which is the main source of currency that our body uses to get the energy to build structures that require energy to put together.


We should add those proteins into our DNA then, or make potatoes a required ingredient of all meals ;)

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs' 'fruitarian' diet put 'jOBS' actor Ashton Kutcher in hospital