or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple launches new high-capacity 128GB Retina display iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple launches new high-capacity 128GB Retina display iPad - Page 4

post #121 of 240

The only thing they add is more flash, that is it.   As such they are charging way too much for a 128GB of flash.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


You can't take the starting price as some perfect value and then step a single component to then argue they are ripping you off. The product has a range with a calculated ARP and profit margin designed into it. Your argument is just as fallacious as saying the 128GB is priced well and the other ones are drastically under priced as you get to the lower-capacity models.
post #122 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

I was expecting this to appear on the iPad 5 not the current one. I'm also rather disappointed that this is in addition to the 16-32-64 GB versions for more money, rather than say 32-64-128 GB's for the same cost as current 16-32-64 GB equivalent versions (Flash prices are so low now!). This seems a ploy to increase sales of the full-size iPad to counter cannibalization by the Mini. I like the idea of a 128 GB iPad - but not for even more dosh! I imagine iPad 5 will drop the 16 GB version when it comes out. I'm going to wait...

That doesn't make sense. You'd have to assume there are people who were holding off buying a 64GB iPad just so they could get a 128GB model. It's mid-cycle after all. Then you'd have assume there are so many people that the drop of the APR would be countered by 4 additional SKUs for a nearly $1000 tablet. Then you'd have to argue why this odd update wasn't done earlier as they knew before they released the iPad mini that the APR would fall. Then you'd have to find an argument that discounts the coincidence that it's being released the same week as the 64GB and 128GB MS Surface Pro tablets.

Let's also remember that less expensive products tend to be more popular than more expensive products so there would have to be a lot of these sold in comparison to the iPad mini to make a dent in the APR, as if that is Apple's primary concern.

Finally, the iPad mini started at a price $170 less than the starting price of the iPad and yet the APR only when down $70. I think it's safe to say iPad mini buyers are buying the higher-end models.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #123 of 240
Originally Posted by KingChael View Post
are you serious?

 

so release the same old product, with absolutely no additions or new "innovation" except increase the GB that hardly anyone really needs... and this is considered impactful, how?

 

I'll just assume you're not awake yet and that you don't really mean anything you've said here.

 

You cannot possibly mean anything you've said here.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #124 of 240

I suspect we'll be seeing and/or hearing about a few other, possibly larger, rabbits being pulled out of Apple's hat in the next couple of months.
 

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #125 of 240

Its a little tempting, but I hope with the next version of IOS there can be profiles or something, it takes a long time if I loan it to my daughter to set all the parental controls and such. It is nice to store things locally when flying or something like that. Not to have to keep taking things off and on. Yes there will always be another one, sometime, Its not even February yet so if another one isnt coming out until September or October thats still a lot of time. 
 

post #126 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The only thing they add is more flash, that is it.   As such they are charging way too much for a 128GB of flash.  

Again, you're looking at this wrong. I know you can't be ignorant in how the marketing of a product category works or how companies will lose profit margins on the low-end in expectation of making it up on the high-end. The same logic that lets you claim they too much for the high-end can also be used to say they charge too little on the low-end. You've made the erroneous assumption that the 16GB is some sweet spot with price and profit margin so that anything higher is just a rip off, but that's foolish.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #127 of 240
Is there a market for this size? I thought i have a lot in my ipad 64.. Lots of map and games and other appl.. 700 songs and lots of pics.. Yet i only used 32gb...
Who would need 128... What kind of apps and usaage requiers this much storage?
post #128 of 240

It has nothing to do with other tablets it is all about the cost of flash.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

"In sync with the rest of the market"? Please point me to the other 128GB tablets so we can see if its in "sync". They don't exist. Nice troll though. 

post #129 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sorry, I don't buy it. 45 GB for apps and OS? So the 64 GB Surface has only 19 GB free? I'm sure that even the densest tech reporters would have noticed that.

It's about 30GiB for the OS and they have noticed it. They have also noticed what the "stripped down" Windows RT uses. That's why the Surface RT starts at 32GB, not 16GB, and yet has about the same capacity as the 16GB iPad.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #130 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It has nothing to do with other tablets it is all about the cost of flash.  

You're not buying flash, you're buying a product.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #131 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Unless you need a trully fast laptop for some use (think the best of them all, a rMBP 15) the iPad is the best computer on the market today.

I have the rMBP, an iPad 3 and an iPad mini and I couldn't disagree more with your opinion. (bolded part, my emphasis)

 

The comparison between a computer and an iPad has nothing to do with speed, simply capabilities. I don't believe the iPad is really a computer at all. If the iPad is a computer then so is an iPhone, which seems absurd to me.

 

If the iPad is to be considered a computer, it is probably the worst computer on the market. It certainly cannot replace a real computer for my needs.

 

Not for your needs... or for all my needs...  

 

But, for many people, it is more than enough computer for all their needs... I can remember my [late] Dad struggling with the Apple ][ and a Selectric printer to create letters, etc...  It was so much hassle my [late] Mom wouldn't even touch it...  Today, with WiFi and the Internet, either would be right at home on an iPad.

 

In bed, or on the couch, I use the iPad exclusively -- though I have an iMac 17" and a 17" AluBook handy.

 

In the den:

 

In front of my loaded 27" iMac with dual display -- I often grab the iPad next to the kb to look something up, track the grandkids.  I often use the iPad as a 3rd screen to monitor my investments or watch a video tutorial (FCP X, Motion, Blender) while following along on the dual-screen iMac.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #132 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Medical images is another need for large storage.  A couple of the most interesting uses suggested by Apple were 3D CAD and Drafting/Blueprints...

I found it interesting in the Apple announcement that they highlighted three business use examples:

 

AutoCad, music recording, and football. The football example I get because you are on the sidelines watching the video taken in the previous plays of the day. 

 

The AutoCad and music examples have me baffled. If you are at a construction site it might make sense to be able to view the plans on an iPad but why on earth would you make edits to them? All edits to the building CAD files should be done back at the architect's office on the master copy otherwise you have multiple versions floating around. The music one is nonsensical to me as well because in order to do professional recording you need a truck load of equipment like mics, stands, cords, instruments, etc. Why is a small portable device like an iPad a benefit when you are toting around a drum kit and a piano? You would probably be better off with the full desktop version of the app on a MBP.

 

Edit: Also I forgot to mention that in almost every medical image setting you store the images on a server (PACS) and use an app to view them instead of saving them to the computer/iPad. In some instances we do share the images as a runtime Windows executable for doctors who don't have the native application, but in that case it doesn't run on an iPad anyway. It might make sense to save png files if you were going to make some Keynote presentations which included clinical cases but otherwise the large tiff of bmp files stay on the server. There is one nice Mac/iPad x-ray viewer. http://www.osirix-viewer.com


Edited by mstone - 1/29/13 at 10:55am

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #133 of 240

Wow. So much discussion over Apple offering more storageon the iPad.

 

 

Based on the number of comments I would have guessed this to be an article about Apple winning another case against Samsung.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #134 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The only thing they add is more flash, that is it.   As such they are charging way too much for a 128GB of flash.  

 

They are charging $100 for 64Gig of flash.  Since 16 to 32 is $100, the cost of flash drops 50% for each increment past that.

post #135 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Sooooo... are they still going to release an iPad "5" in April or so, or does this news eliminate that possibility and the iPad "5" will in October-ish? Now, I'm confused if I should wait for April or just buy now cuz the "5" isn't for 8-9 months! Any thoughts or insight from anyone? Thanks.

Secondly, I hope the iPad "5" they do some innovation on the OS this year, spruce up multi-tasking, add some new features -- not just make it thinner with changed corners and new back.

If I were to ask you what you expect in a new iOS software release, what would you say? You already know the answer to the multitasking question ("No"), so what "new features" do you want? Do you expect change for the sake of change, new for the sake of new? I mean, as consumers we're taught to expect "New and Improved!" on everything, including our laundry detergent.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #136 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Wow. So much discussion over Apple offering more storageon the iPad.

 

 

Based on the number of comments I would have guessed this to be an article about Apple winning another case against Samsung.

LOL!. You're right. I've no idea why a simple storage increase prompts over 130 posts in less than a day. Maybe nothing else to talk about?

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #137 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

Like most people, I don't really care about "the Classic."  I see it as the device choice of insufferable snobs for the most part.  

 

I think the last part of your statement about how long it would take for 128GB to move to the iPhone and iPod is likely incorrect however.  The fact that they can do this storage upgrade "mid-stream" as it were, without a redesign of the device, indicates to me that its a simple chip swap and that the two parts are of identical size.  

 

If they can simply swap out the chips for a larger capacity chip of the exact same size, then it could literally happen overnight.  The fact that this move would do a great deal to improve their gross margins, (exactly the problem in their last financial report), means also that they might be very motivated to do so. 

It's not necessarily, or usually about insufferable snobbery. I want a iPod Classic to connect through a line-out to my audio receiver and just leave it there. I don't want to Airplay from iTunes from my MBA or Airplay (or line-out) from my iPhone (as I do now). I don't want my Apple TV playing music when I want to watch Netflix or use it for something else.

 

I want a dedicated music player that doesn't go anywhere, loaded with all my music and playlists. That's also what a lot of people want-a good dedicated music library connected to speakers or a stereo receiver. An iPod Classic in my home is desirable for its utility. Only problem is that I cannot justify it budget-wise and I'm looking forward to an iPad mini this year.

For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
post #138 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I just noticed it's not available until next week. Usually these would be silent and they'd be available immediately. So why this official notification and lead time. Well the Surface Pro goes on sale February 9th and has prices that are $70 higher than the same capacity iPad with Cellular. I wouldn't call it a smoking gun but it's definitely my prime suspect for this update.

  • Surface Pro with Windows 8 Pro, 64 GB (no keyboard cover): $899
  • Surface Pro with Windows 8 Pro, 128 GB (no keyboard cover): $999

 

 

The 128GB Microsoft Surface Pro Only Offers 83GB of Usable Space

http://gizmodo.com/5979796/the-128gb-microsoft-surface-pro-only-offers-83gb-of-usable-space

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #139 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It has nothing to do with other tablets it is all about the cost of flash.  

 

Oh I see, so now the pricing of Apple products should add up to the component cost? Since when has this been the case, ever, with any company? How cute. Should they charge $63.96 more for the higher capacity model? or maybe $68.35? You're making a ridiculous argument. One of the biggest variables when they decide pricing is the entire product line, how it compares in context with the other capacities, and having a nice even number. The other capacity bumps are $100, so it makes sense that this one is too- especially since you're getting an extra 64GB, not an extra 16GB like from the 16-32. It's logically and reasonably priced, nothing else would make any sense unless they change the pricing for ALL models. 

post #140 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post

Apple is doing no favor to the Cloud concept.

 

Uh, there are millions of usage scenarios where one can't depend or rely on the cloud, especially with a mobile device like the iPad which can be used anywhere and to display content to others. Apple isn't expecting this to become their best selling model, it will probably sell the least, but is an extra OPTION for those who want/need it for any reason. 

post #141 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why didn't Apple launch this last year when they launched 4th gen iPad? Doing it now seems more like a reaction to the stock; throwing something out there to get margins back up.  It just seems like such a random thing to do. 1confused.gif

Well, aapparently they researched storage needs and came to the conclusion there is a market for more storage. And I see, like many people, you also tag it with 4th gen, I wonder why. Wasn't the 'Lightning cable version' the 4th gen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Good. I filled up my 64GB iPad last spring backing up photos while on a trip.

That is exactl why I'm getting this iPad as well, even though I have the 64 3rd gen now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post

What's the current price on a Micro SD 32 GB Class 10 card?

To stick it into a Samsung device? Realy, if you don't understand the benefits of build-in NAND, well, then you don't understand the benefits of build-in NAND.
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

That would seem reasonable. I can't imagine the price for 16GB today is the same as it was in 2010 when the iPad first came out.
Agreed. If I remember correctly, my original iPhone was 4GB only to be dropped shortly after for the 8GB and now the 16GB is the starting point for the latest iPhones. Like I said, I think I have right. 1smile.gif

Good for Apple! 1smile.gif

The original iPhone came out in two models: 4GB and 8GB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Just goes to show that it's easy to justify any argument if you want to play fast and loose with logic.

The 128 GB iPad is $300 more than the base unit. (If you want cell phone, that's an additional $130, but applies regardless of whether you have the WiFi model or the cell model.)

Meanwhile, your 64 GB iPad was $200 more than the base model.

The difference is $100, not $430.

What Absolute Ridiculousness Are You On About?

The iPad Does Not Have 'Cell Phone' (as in the ability to make place regualr phone calls) Capabilities - Never Has.

You've never seen a reference to cellular written as cell phone?
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #142 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Oh I see, so now the pricing of Apple products should add up to the component cost? Since when has this been the case, ever, with any company? How cute. Should they charge $63.96 more for the higher capacity model? or maybe $68.35? You're making a ridiculous argument. One of the biggest variables when they decide pricing is the entire product line, how it compares in context with the other capacities, and having a nice even number. The other capacity bumps are $100, so it makes sense that this one is too- especially since you're getting an extra 64GB, not an extra 16GB like from the 16-32. It's logically and reasonably priced, nothing else would make any sense unless they change the pricing for ALL models. 

What I don't get is why people always make that argument from the cheapest model. Let's say that each doubling of NAND cost only $20 more (to make it simple). You'll never see someone say the prices should $739 for 16GB, $759 for 32GB, $779 for 64GB, and $799 for 128GB. It's always starting with the entry-level item as if that is the gold standard by which Apple arranges their desired profit margin from and everything else is just gravy.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #143 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Wasn't the 'Lightning cable version' the 4th gen?

It was, which begs the question why not release the 128GB model last year when they released the 4th gen iPad? My guess is that this density NAND simply wasn't available in quantity -and- the Surface Pro was about to ship.

That's not to say Apple is worried about the Surface Pro but I do think Apple really wants the iPad market to be like the iPod market so being aggressive and not taking any chances (no matter how awful the Surface Pro is compared to an Ultrabook).

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #144 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Wow. So much discussion over Apple offering more storageon the iPad.

 

 

Based on the number of comments I would have guessed this to be an article about Apple winning another case against Samsung.


Slow day... lots of pent up rage over the way the quarterly was reported...  1smile.gif

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #145 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I found it interesting in the Apple announcement that they highlighted three business use examples:

 

AutoCad, music recording, and football. The football example I get because you are on the sidelines watching the video taken in the previous plays of the day. 

 

The AutoCad and music examples have me baffled. If you are at a construction site it might make sense to be able to view the plans on an iPad but why on earth would you make edits to them? All edits to the building CAD files should be done back at the architect's office on the master copy otherwise you have multiple versions floating around. The music one is nonsensical to me as well because in order to do professional recoding you need a truck load of equipment like mics, stands, cords, instruments, etc. Why is a small portable device like an iPad a benefit when you are toting around a drum kit and a piano? You would probably be better off with the full desktop version of the app on a MBP.

 

Uh, Apple isn't implying that those are the ONLY 3 possible uses. They are showing that users who store large amounts of graphical, video or audio information would benefit from the increased storage.

 

If you don't get the music one then you are completely clueless about recording and production. Why do I need to carry around a truck full of equipment if I just want to lay down a couple tracks in a remote location or while on the road? I can be staying in a hotel and have my iPad, guitar and Apogee One and make quality recordings with gear that takes up no more space than a laptop would. And an iPad is much faster than a laptop. I can use the iPad's touchscreen to make quick adjustments to recording levels, EQ and effects MUCH FASTER than running software on a laptop. Have you tried using a touchpad to select a control and then apply a change to it? Horribly slow. A mouse is much better, but then that's more stuff to carry around and now you need a desk/surface to use it on.

 

And I don't think anyone is suggesting you make major changes to a CAD file for a project. What do you think is better? Make a few notes on a scratchpad and head back to the office to update the original drawings? Or make a few changes, sticky notes and highlights to the iPad version and use that as your "reference" when updating the originals? Which will be clearer to understand when you get back to the office with possibly dozens of "notes"?

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #146 of 240

Great news! As usual, screw the whiners and others who are plagued by ignorance and doomed to a mediocre life of misery and unhappiness.

 

My first iPad was a 16 GB, my second ipad was a 32 GB, and my next iPad will most likely be 128 GB! Bring it on!

 

I use certain apps that takes many, many GBs of storage. A 128 GB will be rather nice indeed.

post #147 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

It's not necessarily, or usually about insufferable snobbery. I want a iPod Classic to connect through a line-out to my audio receiver and just leave it there. I don't want to Airplay from iTunes from my MBA or Airplay (or line-out) from my iPhone (as I do now). I don't want my Apple TV playing music when I want to watch Netflix or use it for something else.

 

I want a dedicated music player that doesn't go anywhere, loaded with all my music and playlists. That's also what a lot of people want-a good dedicated music library connected to speakers or a stereo receiver. An iPod Classic in my home is desirable for its utility. Only problem is that I cannot justify it budget-wise and I'm looking forward to an iPad mini this year.

 

I didn't mean anything personal by the snobery comment and I hope you didn't take too much offence.  I would say this is definitely not a use that most people want or care about though so to me it's still not a good reason for keeping the classic around given that so few people would actually want to do this.  

post #148 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post


I need that. It's actually amazing how fast storage memory gets hoggled up when you have N versions of multiple multimedia projects...

 

Yes, if you actually use iPhoto or iMovie on the iPad the extra space is very worthwhile.

post #149 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

What Absolute Ridiculousness Are You On About?

The iPad Does Not Have 'Cell Phone' (as in the ability to make place regualr phone calls) Capabilities - Never Has.

It has cellular capabilities. As in data. The MBA does not.

What part of that are you confused about?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #150 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Wow. So much discussion over Apple offering more storageon the iPad.

 

 

Based on the number of comments I would have guessed this to be an article about Apple winning another case against Samsung.


Slow day... lots of pent up rage over the way the quarterly was reported...  1smile.gif

 

LOL!  A lot of truth to that!

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #151 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

[...] companies will lose profit margins on the low-end in expectation of making it up on the high-end. [...] You've made the erroneous assumption that the 16GB is some sweet spot with price and profit margin so that anything higher is just a rip off, but that's foolish.

 

Fair enough, so bear with me as I present it another way: I resent having to subsidize the cheapskates in order to get a higher capacity device. If the exorbitant margins on the higher capacity devices are, in fact, necessary to allow a lower base price, then yes, I think the entry-level models are priced too low.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It was, which begs the question why not release the 128GB model last year when they released the 4th gen iPad?

 

One of my pet peeves, so I can't help myself here. "Begs the question" does not mean "logically leads one to ask." If an argument is based a flawed premise, it is said to beg the question. I share this NOT with the intention of being insulting or condescending, but because I'm vainly hoping it won't become another "could care less." :)

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

post #152 of 240

Now they need to increase iCloud storage from 5GB to at least 10GB.

post #153 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post
If you don't get the music one then you are completely clueless about recording and production. Why do I need to carry around a truck full of equipment if I just want to lay down a couple tracks in a remote location or while on the road? I can be staying in a hotel and have my iPad, guitar and Apogee One and make quality recordings with gear that takes up no more space than a laptop would. 

So you are using the Apogee mic for an acoustical guitar? I have an electric guitar. The only recording I have done was with a band where we mic everything. I suppose the Apogee works for a single instrument but wouldn't you need at least one more mic if you were doing singer songwriter stuff? And you are carrying around a mic stand and headphones, cables and stuff. It starts to add up to a lot of gear. I'm happy it works for you. I built a studio in my basement a number of years ago with sound proofing etc, but I don't play much anymore.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #154 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

[...] If you don't get the music one then you are completely clueless about recording and production. Why do I need to carry around a truck full of equipment if I just want to lay down a couple tracks in a remote location or while on the road? I can be staying in a hotel and have my iPad, guitar and Apogee One and make quality recordings with gear that takes up no more space than a laptop would.

 

So if you're only tracking a couple guitar parts, why would you need the extra storage capacity? I think that's the point -- that using music recording as a premise for increased storage seems kinda strange. If you're doing work that requires tons of storage, the portability of an iPad probably isn't going to provide much benefit, and in a situation where the portability of the iPad is an asset, you're probably not going to need that kind of storage.

 

I suppose you might want 128GB if you were doing overdubs on twenty songs and were carrying around complete 48-track sessions for each one, but can an iPad even play a large session?

post #155 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The 128GB Microsoft Surface Pro Only Offers 83GB of Usable Space

http://gizmodo.com/5979796/the-128gb-microsoft-surface-pro-only-offers-83gb-of-usable-space

 

And the MBA has anywhere from 103GB to 113GB left on a 128GB SSD.  

 

So what?  Given that Win8 itself seems to install on desktops in under 20GB I assume the rest of the space is included apps and the recovery partition that MS says can be deleted.

 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/system-requirements

post #156 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Fair enough, so bear with me as I present it another way: I resent having to subsidize the cheapskates in order to get a higher capacity device. If the exorbitant margins on the higher capacity devices are, in fact, necessary to allow a lower base price, then yes, I think the entry-level models are priced too low.

One could also argue that ow-priced models are bringing down the price of the high-end model if it were to be sold as just a single capacity model at 128GB because economies of scale are helping to lower the price as most of the components are used across the entire line.
Quote:
One of my pet peeves, so I can't help myself here. "Begs the question" does not mean "logically leads one to ask." If an argument is based a flawed premise, it is said to beg the question. I share this NOT with the intention of being insulting or condescending, but because I'm vainly hoping it won't become another "could care less." 1smile.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

Fair enough and I'm well aware of the "proper" usage but it colloquial and I quite like the way it sounds as all the parts work for its new usage which is probably why it became common in the first place.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #157 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Now they need to increase iCloud storage from 5GB to at least 10GB.

Better yet, go back to the old iDisk method where I can store ALL my data on iDisk and have it mirrored automatically to my hard disk.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #158 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Finally, the iPad mini started at a price $170 less than the starting price of the iPad and yet the APR only when down $70. I think it's safe to say iPad mini buyers are buying the higher-end models.

 

The iPad mini screams for the cellular modem.  I bet a good number of LTE iPad minis sold.

post #159 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Now they need to increase iCloud storage from 5GB to at least 10GB.

Yes! Or at least offer 5GB for each iDevice, not just 5GB for each Apple ID.

For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
post #160 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

I suppose you might want 128GB if you were doing overdubs on twenty songs and were carrying around complete 48-track sessions for each one, but can an iPad even play a large session?

Yes, an iPad can play back large sessions.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple launches new high-capacity 128GB Retina display iPad