or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple launches new high-capacity 128GB Retina display iPad

Apple launches new high-capacity 128GB Retina display iPad - Page 2

post #41 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

MBA - larger screen, faster CPU, more RAM, runs desktop apps
iPad - Cell phone capability, portability

I really suspect that the decision is not as difficult as it seems for most people. I believe that most people who walk into an Apple Store (or Best Buy or whatever) intend to buy a tablet or a laptop and that very few actually switch from one to the other. Of course, many people will have both, but for any given purchase, I just don't see that many people who have trouble deciding.

What the f*ck are you talking about?

CPU and RAM? Who cares about that sh*t? iOS is so well coded that an iPad 4 runs circles around any computer on the market today, unless you need Computer-only tasks, making this 1vs1 stupid. Larger screen? Who cares about it when the iPad has "the" screen?

Who cares about desktops apps when you have apps designed just for your iPad? What about battery life?

Unless you need a trully fast laptop for some use (think the best of them all, a rMBP 15) the iPad is the best computer on the market today.

post #42 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm8283 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

A lot of corporations, fortunately, disagree with you.
Do you really think so? Most of the things our company use an iPad for are accessible from the intranet web server rather than being stored locally. There is no music, and we don't need any videos although I can see some people wanting that stored locally. Even an electronic flight bag is less than 1GB storage use from what I understand. I could see something like the Mercedes roll-out wanting more local information store, but not double the existing maximum.
post #43 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

yeah, but there are corporate discounts, and tax-deductible business expenses.  So you are right, but they won't have to pay retail.  You and I will.

What is the extent of corporate discounts (if any)? How do you know? (Mine gets zero, for instance).
post #44 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Too expensive! Wow. I have a 64GB iPad which is getting pretty full, but an extra $430 from the "base" price is just too much. Not quite sure why the base model is still 16GB (especially for the iPad), and I think it is good to up the maximum storage... just think the price needs to be a little more grounded for people to be able to justify upgrading later on.

Just goes to show that it's easy to justify any argument if you want to play fast and loose with logic.

The 128 GB iPad is $300 more than the base unit. (If you want cell phone, that's an additional $130, but applies regardless of whether you have the WiFi model or the cell model.)

Meanwhile, your 64 GB iPad was $200 more than the base model.

The difference is $100, not $430.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #45 of 240
Quote:

128 GB is great, but the cost is gonna keep me away. I can afford it don't get me wrong, but why pay for something that in about 6 months it will be obsolete with the new new iPad.

In that case, you will probably never buy another piece of technology. Enjoy that iPad 2 for the rest of your life!
post #46 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc54 View Post

go to the local community college, take that photoshop course you always dreamed about and voila! instant student discount!

There are no student discounts on iDevices (except for the iMac).
post #47 of 240
Quote:

128 GB is great, but the cost is gonna keep me away. I can afford it don't get me wrong, but why pay for something that in about 6 months it will be obsolete with the new new iPad.

The next iPad will be obsolete in an other 6 months. It's frightening isn't it. If you think like that you will grow very old before you buy any new iPad.

post #48 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post

Apple is flooding the market with products and therefore diluting the enthusiasm. No more secrecy = no more suspense = no more cult.

So you think secrecy=leaks and rumors. Now see with this one they fulfilled their claim for secrecy 99.5%. No one saw this coming so soon.

1oyvey.gif

post #49 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

I need that. It's actually amazing how fast storage memory gets hoggled up when you have N versions of multiple multimedia projects...

I do think this is the bigger deal for non creatives.  My guess is the enterprise sales types are effectively loading 100's of presentations onto their iPads, and this is driving the update, to compete with netbook/ultrabook options.  

And looking at the pricing discounts, we are now seeing a pricing crossover between macbook airs and the iPad 128.   This is key.  I'm guessing the total ROI on an iPad (cellular kickbacks, app sales, media sales) is now greater on iPad than the MBA (more moving parts, more warranty repair, less downstream sales).

Any bets that the MBA 11 is likely a dead product?

post #50 of 240
This announcement seems weird. Kind of out of cycle, in the dead of the night sometime before 5:30AM Cupertino time. Anybody got any insight as to why?
post #51 of 240
I'm one of those who will have use for added space (my current 64GB iPad 2 has only a couple of free GB). But the constant pricing is ridiculous (considering how much cheaper memory has become over the last several years).

Anyway, I will hold out and buy the next iPad (iPad 5, presumably). I hope by that time the 128GB model will be cheaper. But knowing Apple I'm not optimistic.
post #52 of 240
Quote:

Apple is flooding the market with products and therefore diluting the enthusiasm. No more secrecy = no more suspense = no more cult.

Funny to get a "no more secrecy" comment just after Apple announces what is probably its best kept secret ever (48 hours from first rumor to announced product).
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

CPU and RAM? Who cares about that sh*t? iOS is so well coded that an iPad 4 runs circles around any computer on the market today, unless you need Computer-only tasks, making this 1vs1 stupid. Larger screen? Who cares about it when the iPad has "the" screen?

Who cares about desktops apps when you have apps designed just for your iPad? What about battery life?

Unless you need a trully fast laptop for some use (think the best of them all, a rMBP 15) the iPad is the best computer on the market today.

For you, perhaps.

Not everyone has the same needs as you.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #53 of 240
Quote:

What is the extent of corporate discounts (if any)? How do you know? (Mine gets zero, for instance).

Corp discounts kick in at 100 units on a P.O.  It's not much, (10%), and it's my understanding that it's greater if you go higher.   The bigger discounts for business are for free/reduced iOS developer/support training for fewer purchases (I was seeing 3 free training classes for up to 10 developers each, paired with a purchase of 20 pilot/development iPads and 5 iPod Touchs and a couple iPhones).   Apple wants enterprises to become dependent on custom iOS applications (my project was building custom sales support apps... porting financial services apps from HTML/.Net/Flash/PDF/Word (ugly).  The pilot systems (50) were at full cost, but the dev team got a lot of free development support/training.

post #54 of 240
Well that means no new ipad 5 in march, this one will last a year...

A ipad mini retina 128g and lte will be a road warrior dream!
post #55 of 240

Why didn't Apple launch this last year when they launched 4th gen iPad? Doing it now seems more like a reaction to the stock; throwing something out there to get margins back up.  It just seems like such a random thing to do. 1confused.gif

post #56 of 240
Quote:

I bet you read this somewhere...

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #57 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanator View Post

This announcement seems weird. Kind of out of cycle, in the dead of the night sometime before 5:30AM Cupertino time. Anybody got any insight as to why?

Tuesday is a pretty normal day if you look at general 'soft launch' announcements (basically just component upgrades of existing systems) of years past. 

Just before US market and most stores opening.     and Chinese stores are closing.  Probably the best time in the 'Sun Never On the iOS Empire' world of Apple.

Gives the Retail staff time to 'info up' for the next sales day.

As for 'out of cycle' I see February/March, 'Corporate' device announcement time.  Corporate POs for orders go out March-April, after February confirmation of year end numbers.  This announcement is less out of cycle for those types.  Allows them to decide whether to change orders to increase spending for increased capacity.  Doing it early may portent that the 'S' versions of iPads will now be in the Spring, along with '.1' releases of SW.

post #58 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why didn't Apple launch this last year when they launched 4th gen iPad? Doing it now seems more like a reaction to the stock; throwing something out there to get margins back up.  It just seems like such a random thing to do. 1confused.gif

I remember someone saying that no matter what Apple does now there will be someone who is skeptical and someone who will bitch.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #59 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I remember someone saying that no matter what Apple does now there will be someone who is skeptical and someone who will bitch.

Definitely not my experience.

Usually is way more than one of both.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #60 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Not stock market related, not random.

128GB is likely targeted at corporate purchases (for 99% of consumer iPad users, 128GB is superfluous storage as it's really for 'offline' use.  corp users require 100% availability of information, and if you don't support flash drives as a 'failsafe backup' you need local storage).  

My guess is that Apple is now switching to a  Fall iDevice 'for the masses' announcement, and this is just the spring 'Corporate Config' announcement for the same set of devices.  February/March is when procurement budgets are set based last quarter's/year's final numbers, and setting this option up allows them to budget (and then pay) for it.

Less stock driven, more corporate sales cycle driven.  

post #61 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Well doing it last year when they updated the iPad 3 would seem to make more sense.  Or waiting until the next iPad event (unless this means we're not getting another event until the fall).  This seems more like reacting to the stock and throwing something out there to get ASP's and margins up.

post #62 of 240
Quote:

Sorry bout that happy fingers. Yes businesses and yes apple corporations and any corporations for that matter would disagree with me, but I'm talking about the consumer. Now there will probably be the elite few 1% of the consumer population that will get it just to say that they have it.

Only Apple knows what the sales mix of various RAM capacities are currently, as well as what the trends are. Because this product now exists, I suspect Apple sees a developing demand for it. 

On a side note: My first Apple product has a whopping 128K of RAM. What difference 30 years makes.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #63 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Too expensive! Wow. I have a 64GB iPad which is getting pretty full, but an extra $430 from the "base" price is just too much. Not quite sure why the base model is still 16GB (especially for the iPad), and I think it is good to up the maximum storage... just think the price needs to be a little more grounded for people to be able to justify upgrading later on.

Agreed.  For the price one may as well buy a MacBook Air.  It's just as portable and much more useful.  

I also find it hard to believe that 128 GB is costing Apple any more than 64 GB did a few years ago.  It's not like they're using MLC Toggle NAND in these iPads, it's just slow flash memory that's dirt cheap.  

post #64 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

I hope by the iPad 5, Apple drops the 16GB model and make the 32GB the entry model at $499.

I would rather they keep it and lower the price by a hundred dollars instead.  

Until they allow us to merge our devices and just use one for all purposes, all I need on my iPad is documents which take almost no space at all.  My music can stay on my phone.  16GB is more than enough for some. 

post #65 of 240

Ooooohhhhhh..... I love this!

Flesh out the product line!  Release product when ready, Gridley!  Keep 'em guessing!

Well played!

Hmmm... Now what new software could be brought to the iPad requiring that capacity?

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #66 of 240
Quote:

You do realize that there is more than storage capacity there, right? 1rolleyes.gif

Um, yeah. 1rolleyes.gif

post #67 of 240
I've bought all four 64GB models at launch. While its the spec I've been wanting since the beginning of the iPad, I'm going to try and hold out for the 128GB iPad 5 version even though I could use the additional capacity now. Not sure how long I'll be able to restrain myself from buying this upgrade though.
Edited by Multimedia - 1/29/13 at 8:07am

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

post #68 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I've always said the two things keeping me from storing my music/podcasts on my phone is max storage, and eyes-free UI.  They're about 1/3 of the way from me dropping my iPod classic but still no dice.  I'd love to have that all-in-one experience, but the touch interface of the iPhone/pod touch just doesn't cut it.  So with that, I still say they need to update the iPod classic to SSD.  Now that they have 128gb chips in the iPad, I don't see why not.  I'll take a 32gb drop if i could have a thinner, lighter high capacity iPod Classic.  Plus it would justify the $249 price tag of the Classic.  The Nano's UI is just not eyes-free enough, and the home button is too far to the bottom of the device and awkward to reach for.

I guess it was obvious that the very first moment the iPod touches reached the same capacity as the Classic, that some other excuse would pop up.  1rolleyes.gif

- the iPod classic will never be updated with SSD

- they will never really make another Volkswagen Beetle

- Vinyl records won't be making a comeback

- Bluejeans have actually been out of style for many years. 

In short, nothing is forever. 

post #69 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Not stock market related, not random.

128GB is likely targeted at corporate purchases (for 99% of consumer iPad users, 128GB is superfluous storage as it's really for 'offline' use.  corp users require 100% availability of information, and if you don't support flash drives as a 'failsafe backup' you need local storage).  

I see it differently.

What does the average corporate user need that kind of storage for? PDFs don't take up much space, nor do PowerPoint (Keynote) presentations. I couldn't picture using even a small fraction of that space for corporate use.

Private users, OTOH, who have their iPad jammed full of photos, movies, and music may appreciate the extra space.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #70 of 240
Quote:

One day I hope I'm as rich as you...

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #71 of 240
Good. I filled up my 64GB iPad last spring backing up photos while on a trip.
post #72 of 240
This is smart, I hope they don't go with 16gb for the entry level in the iPad 5
post #73 of 240
Quote:

$70 differentiates an actual keyboard. As I type on my ipad, it's "ok"- but not even close to a keyboard. There is still plenty of room for the 11" MBA.  How bout the fact I can export from FileMaker on my air into a PDF to email. Can't do that on FileMaker go on the ipad.

To think "your" way is the only way is smug and arrogant.

post #74 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post

Quote:

Buy something when you need it. Apple supports their devices better than any other company in the space. It has always been the case with technology that within a few months, something better will be out, but that does not take away from your device performing the tasks which you bought it for. If Apple didn't update the iPad with the A6X in Oct and waited until March, then all the holiday season buyers would have a lesser processor. I think it was a great and valuable move for Apple to update when they did.

Unlike Android, you also easily get new features for several years after purchase.

Best post of this thread!

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #75 of 240
Quote:

I'm waiting for a bump in RAM so Photoshop Touch can handle images larger than 12 megapixels.  

post #76 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Wait a minute ....

Does this mean no new new iPads until October?!?

Aw, maaan ....

No!  It means Apple will release new products as technology becomes available and/or it is a business advantage to do so.

It's called "being agile".

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #77 of 240
Quote:

You forgot "and they're doing nothing to compete with the multiple phones from Samsung" as well as "Apple needs a cheap iPhone" and "Apple needs a bigger phone".

Damned if they do something, damned if they do nothing?

post #78 of 240

I suspect that the next version will be a lot lighter and possible smaller (smaller bezel) and thinner...

I just can't see any good reason to get this one with the next version most likely a few months away....

post #79 of 240
I think they missed an opportunity to eliminate the 16GB model and really squeeze the Surface and other Android tablets by making 32GB the defacto entry level.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

post #80 of 240

For those of you who thinks this marks the end of the iPod Classic. You're wrong. Yes it's time is limited. But, the iPod Classic has 160GB of storage. The iPad only has 128GB, it's still catching up. And it will be even longer before, Apple gets into iPhones or iPod Touches. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple launches new high-capacity 128GB Retina display iPad