or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's 128GB iPad aims to drive profits up a path competitors can't easily follow

Apple's 128GB iPad aims to drive profits up a path competitors can't easily follow - Page 3

post #81 of 152
Quote:
DaHarder View Post

... iOS still lacks a user accessible file system, so as to easily acess all of those 'CAD files' etc. one might load on all that new space.

Although I agree accessing files can be improved on iOS -- I wish individual files were a part of the Search feature --  iOS hardly lacks an accessible file system. It's just presented differently than the old-fashioned file system metaphor. And that presentation is obviously very desirable to the vast majority of mobile device users (iOS and Android). The old-fashioned file system metaphor presents a user with files before a specific application must be opened to work on that file. iOS simply prioritizes the application, bringing the user into an application first before presenting a view of associated files. That prioritization doesn't diminish the need for storage space. If anything I could argue many ways it brings efficiency to storage for less-savvy users.

post #82 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

But none of the competitors will try to sell a 128GB tablet at the same price! Ok except the always clueless MSFT, but still...

In the end, GOOG or AMAZ can easily sell a 128GB version of their tablets, e.g. NEXUS 10 with 128GB for $599, or Kindle Fire 8.9HD with 128GB for $499, which can easily undercut the iPad. 

No, they can't. They can produce one. They can market one. But it's very clear at this point that they won't actually be able to sell one.

All the bashing of the article is unfair, because the premise is very true. Apple has (as Tim Cook said last year) started to show a willingness not to leave a price umbrella over the low end. The introduction of the iPad mini showed that they aren't going to go to the same price point as competitors, but instead adopt a strategy of being "close enough" that consumers are willing to pay the slight premium to have an iPad and be in the iOS ecosystem. The introduction of another high end version of the iPad is a good strategic move because it gives Apple more margin at the high end, where no one else can compete, and gives coverage to the lower margin device. This puts even more pressure on the low cost competitors to be even lower cost. Apple is pursuing the same strategy on tablets that it has done on laptops. Suck all the profit out of the segment and then keep putting downward pressure on competitors. On the Windows side, MS is desperate to get out of this downward spiral, but it's doubtful the Surface Pro is going to enable it. On the Android side, there's currently not even an attempt.

post #83 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Yeah, virtually unlimited storage in a standard form that's cheap and interoperable with a wide range of other devices - who could possibly want that?

Yeah, and that's why iPad's market share sucks and that of the others dominates. /s
post #84 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Likely the single biggest obstacle for to having such a large amount of storage on an iPad is that iOS still lacks a user accessible file system, so as to easily acess all of those 'CAD files' etc. one might load on all that new space.

having a visible and accessible file system is not the point of the iPad.

Oh, "all those 'CAD files'" get stored in Autodesk's "cloud" as part of the App.  So no need for extra storage there. 

I still think traditional paper prints are better for the job site as they are bigger and easier to read instead of panning and zooming on an iPad. Plus the prints make it easier for discussing with coworkers instead of being huddled around a 10" screen.

Having the files in the cloud is convenient if you have broadband access but in the field you are likely to be using cellular data which can be troublesome for large files. The other thing about sharing files with sub contractors is it gets tedious setting up security accounts on your cloud. It is much simpler if just your reproduction house has a share account in your cloud and they print out the blueprints in mass for distribution to the contractors. Most subs only need specific layers anyway so giving them the entire file is a waste of time.

This is just speculation on my part. I have dealt with building plans a few times but I would be interested to hear how professionals use AutoCAD on iPad.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #85 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

What does Dilger mean by "fat" iPad?
Is the "fat" referring to the bump in storage or the physical size of the device?
So far, nothing on the Apple Store website showing it as an option.

Maybe he means "phat".

A reference to the 512KB "Fat Mac". Because 512KB was phat, for its day.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #86 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

That's an awful lot to read into a fairly standard storage bump...

It's understanding the implications of what often on the surface appear to be small, inconsequential things that usually gives more than superficial insight. Yes, anyone can see, especially after the fact, that an iPad mini will change the game in many ways, but that's fairly obvious, and you're already behind the game. You have to look deeper and consider whether things that at first glance seem trivial have greater importance if you want to understand what may, or is likely to, happen.

After all, until you focus on it, everything seems like noise. 

post #87 of 152

Thanks, DED, for the analysis. Good as ever. I don't need 128 GBs, but from my experiences with iPads and iPods, there oughta be a law against selling 16 GB devices. Or 32 GB devices like the Surface that use half of it for the OS. Talk about immediate dissatisfaction. More like yowls.

post #88 of 152

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 5/16/13 at 12:36pm
post #89 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgregor View Post

Where is all of this derision for the author coming from? Another great article DED!

All that Samsung advertising money buys a lot of bandwidth....

post #90 of 152

the most interesting info in the article is the profit margin chart, which documents that Apple's recent very high margins were likely a one time bump due to special circumstances. but also that its current margins are still above its long term average - and very high for any comparable company.

(not that this matters to "the market" of course. Apple stock is up 7% today YOY, while extremely low margin "nonprofit" Amazon is up 38%. for "the market," hype = value.)

everyone knows that Apple overcharges buyers for expanded storage models, and that this contributes to its high margins. but for most consumers iCloud and all the streaming web media options reduce the capacity they need a lot, so storage is not a big deal anymore like the old days. only hobbyists and techies ever fill up their storage nowadays (and post 99% of all website comments too i bet)(i'm a hobbyist).

as Apple clearly outlined in its press release for the 128G iPad, which DED didn't mention, it is aiming it at the enterprise market, which he did discuss at length. so in this case, the conventional wisdom that Apple timed this product announcement to undercut MS' new Surface Pro tablet is very likely correct. MS is hyping the Pro as the tablet for "real work" at a price few consumers would pay but businesses don't mind. and MS is undeniably an enterprise market heavyweight.

so we have now a head to head competition between the 128G iPad and the Surface Pro for the business tablet market, which DED did not get into much (yet).

the iPad has two big advantages out of the box: much longer battery life and much more available net storage after deducting the operating system usage from the total specced. and most important i think, that there is already a wide range of specialized business apps available for the iPad, plus a large software developer community that can produce customized focused-purpose "light" apps for any particular client relatively easily and economically. whereas all the specialized third party Windows business applications - a huge inventory far far beyond MS Office - are large scale application suites designed for Windows 7 and have not been formatted at all for a touch UI, let alone a tablet. they will not work well on a tablet, if at all, until they are. the big question then is how will the established Windows software industry respond to Windows 8? full software suite redesign for the touch Metro UI isn't quick, easy, or cheap. but until they are, few business can even use the Surface Pro, and its sales will be anemic after the initial group of early adopter MS fans buy theirs.

and those Windows business applications take a lot of storage space too, btw. because the current era of big cheap storage drives on PC's have made the issue of application size unimportant - until now. which takes us back to original problem. if the 128G Surface Pro only has a net of 83G available for actual use as reported, that is a real problem for many businesses unless there are new "light" versions of their specialized software available too, like the iPad apps.

but who is going to invest in all this software development for a new product with very uncertain prospects? and assuming that MS (bribes) subsidizes the major software companies to do it - i'm sure they will put $hundreds of millions into this - it's going to take the rest of the year. talk about a slow start ...

and that all begs the ultimate question: will many enterprises ever adopt Windows 8 at all? which is a different topic, but i think i know the answer - which is No, they are sticking with W7. and that makes the Surface Pro a one-off orphan product without much of a market no matter what.

so to wrap up, the 128G iPad is the Surface Pro Killer.

ps: just like it is now undeniable that the iPad Mini is the Surface RT Killer.

Edited by Alfiejr - 1/30/13 at 9:40am
post #91 of 152
I find it humorous when people cite tech sites to support some claim that Apple (insert product name) isn't (insert techy aspect) enough and will therefore fail. Do you not understand Apple's play book?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #92 of 152
Can't believe some of the comments here. I thought Dilger did an inciteful analysis of the difference between Apple and the lemmings. My next iPad will have 128GB because I keep doing more with it and putting more on it.
post #93 of 152

A very well written article.  The author has very deep insight of the technicals of various competing devices.  And he is able to link the technicals with sales.  And he explains the shortcomings of Android and Windows devices very well which the makers are trying to hide from the uninformed consumers.  And the 128 GB iPad is a brilliant move by Apple.  Because it is aimed directly at the shortcomings as explained by this author.  Thanks. 

post #94 of 152
Quote:

Yeah, virtually unlimited storage in a standard form that's cheap and interoperable with a wide range of other devices - who could possibly want that?

I guess people who are not technologically sophisticated enough to care about the trade-offs. Removing a "hole" in the side of my tablet that I'll never use, and it's corresponding "empty box" on the inside of my tablet, means more space for battery. Something I use every day.

post #95 of 152
Another think piece from DED, where he is working out a new concept, and you can see it taking shape as he writes. It's not surprising that it flies over the head of some of the categorical non-thinkers here. I think he stakes out the new ground pretty well.

Apple is now justifying its margins by going all out for the iPad as a portable business and professional machine, a replacement for many laptops. Yes, Android tablets may follow, but will anyone buy them? Will anyone buy the Surface Pro? However it turns out, Apple is moving into a new market here, and DED is addressing that.

Two other points I'd like to see addressed:

How long has it been possible for Apple to get the chips they need to do this?

What is the additional cost of sourcing, assembling and tracking new models—the additional logic boards, the actual memory chip(s), and the laying out of different assembly tracks for the different radios and colors? I think that the meme that 'Apple is ripping us off, look how cheap the parts are' is laughably simple-minded, but just how reductionist is it?
post #96 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

I would hate to be the one in the back of a court room speaking into my iPad.  LOL...

I think you can use the keyboard in the home screen to find your files.  Or you need an app that can find the files for you. 

post #97 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

But none of the competitors will try to sell a 128GB tablet at the same price! Ok except the always clueless MSFT, but still...

In the end, GOOG or AMAZ can easily sell a 128GB version of their tablets, e.g. NEXUS 10 with 128GB for $599, or Kindle Fire 8.9HD with 128GB for $499, which can easily undercut the iPad. 

Apple makes high margins by selling built-in flash memory. It has modest margins on it's lowest capacity devices, which makes it hard for competitors to get into the market by underselling them with a desirable low-end device. Then it has high margin devices with lots of flash memory, so the higher end customers have something to buy. If low end competition ever becomes a real problem, they'll just cut the price of their entry-level devices.

You can't compete with that strategy by making a cheaper high end device, since that by itself doesn't create the mass market that drives ecosystem and visibility.
post #98 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

I guess people who are not technologically sophisticated enough to care about the trade-offs. Removing a "hole" in the side of my tablet that I'll never use, and it's corresponding "empty box" on the inside of my tablet, means more space for battery. Something I use every day.

That's the direction my decision making went.

post #99 of 152

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 5/16/13 at 12:41pm
post #100 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

The iPad will continue to do well and dominate as long as a few things do not radically change.

1) Keep a far superior ecosystem. By that I mean that there are far more native iPad apps than native Android tablet apps. This is really out of Apple's controls and has more to do with app developers for both platforms. As long as the iPad has far more native apps that is a big advantage, possibly the biggest. 

2) Hope that no Android tablet is released with equal or superior hardware specs with the ability to reach 256GB of total storage for several hundred dollars cheaper.

3) Hope that Google doesn't become an MVNO and subsidize a 3G/LTE plan for around  $20 monthly for a 5GB data allowance on their tablets. 

So I guess this is an official hint from inside Google of what is to come.
post #101 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

What is the additional cost of sourcing, assembling and tracking new models—the additional logic boards, the actual memory chip(s), and the laying out of different assembly tracks for the different radios and colors? I think that the meme that 'Apple is ripping us off, look how cheap the parts are' is laughably simple-minded, but just how reductionist is it?

Very true. I mean, Apple's barely making ends meet. Oh, wait... wrong company.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #102 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Man, the way this thread is going I'd rather watch the BB10 live blog from RIM

Looks interesting, but pretty unfocused. What's the use of the phone video-editing application for an entreprise user?

post #103 of 152

Paid by the word?

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #104 of 152
Quote:

Geeks and nerds, a market segment Apple has always sensibly steered clear from. But then, you don't understand Apple, so you telling you this is a waste of time.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #105 of 152
Quote:

Geeks and nerds, a market segment Apple has always sensibly steered clear from. But then, you don't understand Apple, so you telling you this is a waste of time.
post #106 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

... as nice as it is to have a 128gb (on-board) storage option (at a rather exorbitant cost), merely increasing capacity does not fundamentally change the functionality of the iPad.

Likely the single biggest obstacle for to having such a large amount of storage on an iPad is that iOS still lacks a user accessible file system, so as to easily acess all of those 'CAD files' etc. one might load on all that new space.

Note: Several competing mobile devices have reached the 128gb storage level already via having 64gb of built-in storage plus (fully OS integrated) 64gb microSDXC/Class 10 cards (often found for around US 50.00) with 128gb microSDXC cards soon to be released.
Not Really... at least not until it gets a user accessible file system and the abilty to run apps in individual windows etc.

How do you back up your valuable files on the external SD cards on an Android based tablets?  With 128 GB of data on it. 

post #107 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple doesn't steer from geeks and nerds, it prevents them from tinkering too much, and doesn't cater to them. It's quite different, since much of Apple's customers from a historical perspective have been:

- geeks (music, movie, coding geeks, etc)

- related to a technological-type geek capable of advising them

- related to another sort of geek obviously enjoying their hardware with no trouble

Why would people buy an iMac if no one told them about the awesomeness?

Also, I've found over the years that saying "I'm a programmer" only works with the ladies if you add "I do Mac/iPhone software". and then again, you still need to have some sort of cultural justification (I do games, I do musea software, I create the (tools for the) animations in [insert movie with cute characters]). It gives another reason for geeks to buy Apple: Apple removes the cultural stain of being a nerd :D

post #108 of 152
Quote:

Guess you have never used an Android device. It is very easy and there are many ways to do it. I used to turn on the debugging menu from settings and then use ADB backup. Very similar to Super Duper! on the Mac in fact. 

I will say that the way apple does it with iTunes is still easier, but it is not hard to back up a 128GB Android device either.

I know you always need an app to do it.  My question is how do you physically do it? 

post #109 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I am surprised by the obvious dislike of the article author and the dismissal of the content (and its length), by so many here. I don't see whats so wrong. Its a good article and it is refreshing to have someone supporting Apple's strategy after reading so many know-it-alls telling us what Apple should do to avoid doom.

re the 128gb - It seems like a shrewd move. Many people will want the extra storage. It makes the iPad more of a laptop replacement and allows for more photos, videos, and music - the great storage joggers. Another point is that by upping the max storage to 128 gb, the 64 gb is now at the higher end of the middle ground. Many people will hold off from buying the highest end because it seems excessive. I wonder if the sales of the 64 gb iPad will increase as a result. 

Thank you for saying what I was thinking Paxman.  I completely agree.  In fact, I'll go as a far as to say that this was one of the best articulated arguments for why Apple is still on the right track for the most part.  It seems that the press/popular sentiment has turned against Apple for reasons that I suspect began with a concerted PR and marketing effort by Apple's competitors that gained traction among everyday potential customers and ultimately has infested this community as well (the new PR methods insure that some percentage of members of this community are paid to trash Apple) .  Most users and readers on this site are biased towards Apple, but that doesn't make us incapable of having a constructive discussion about strategy rather than name calling and trolling.  Kudos DED for a well thought out and well written article.

post #110 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalper View Post

Thank you for saying what I was thinking Paxman.  I completely agree.  In fact, I'll go as a far as to say that this was one of the best articulated arguments for why Apple is still on the right track for the most part.  It seems that the press/popular sentiment has turned against Apple for reasons that I suspect began with a concerted PR and marketing effort by Apple's competitors that gained traction among everyday potential customers and ultimately has infested this community as well (the new PR methods insure that some percentage of members of this community are paid to trash Apple) .  Most users and readers on this site are biased towards Apple, but that doesn't make us incapable of having a constructive discussion about strategy rather than name calling and trolling.  Kudos DED for a well thought out and well written article.

I totally disagree. DED's piece is a completely slanted and irritating to read rant, when what I really want to get is analyses, information and news. It's a simple matter, really: if he would make a small effort to not sound like a raving fanatic, I'd find his pieces much more enjoyable. Right now, I read all the posts, but only part of his article. I can't even tell if it's a correct article, or not (he tends to have correct views, but honeycomb them as soon as Apple's involved... and aciddip then when it's some other company).

I guess I'm reading Ai more to learn from the forum dwellers (or to laugh at their witticisms, on both sides) than for DED's prose. Obviously, if you disagree, good for you: he writes a lot :D

post #111 of 152

Yeah. Great. Now that everyone's got their cheap AAPL stock, lets spread positive news and drive it over 1 trillion!

post #112 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

Yeah. Great. Now that everyone's got their cheap AAPL stock, lets spread positive news and drive it over 1 trillion!

Damned... I waited too long :p

post #113 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

I totally disagree. DED's piece is a completely slanted and irritating to read rant, when what I really want to get is analyses, information and news. It's a simple matter, really: if he would make a small effort to not sound like a raving fanatic, I'd find his pieces much more enjoyable. Right now, I read all the posts, but only part of his article. I can't even tell if it's a correct article, or not (he tends to have correct views, but honeycomb them as soon as Apple's involved... and aciddip then when it's some other company).

I guess I'm reading Ai more to learn from the forum dwellers (or to laugh at their witticisms, on both sides) than for DED's prose. Obviously, if you disagree, good for you: he writes a lot :D

So you "can't tell if the articles are correct" by looking at the author's track record or by fact checking them or consulting their supporting attributions, and are troubled by "completely slanted and irritating to read rants" and at the same time, prefer reading anonymous troll comments making witticisms. 

Thanks for clearing that up. Maybe you should invest in Amazon and RIM and short Apple and see how that works out for you. 

post #114 of 152
Quote:

Guess you have never used an Android device. It is very easy and there are many ways to do it. I used to turn on the debugging menu from settings and then use ADB backup. Very similar to Super Duper! on the Mac in fact. 

I will say that the way apple does it with iTunes is still easier, but it is not hard to back up a 128GB Android device either.

I don't fundamentally disagree here, but I want to point out that going the extra mile in simplification makes all the difference.
In sure if you're sufficiently skilled, rooting an Android device with hacked firmware is not "hard to do". But it's still not the same thing as what Apple does with automatic syncing with iTunes or iCloud.

My dad owned an Android phone 3 years ago, and he never backed it up. But he also never loaded any new apps, never rooted it, and he didn't even know the OS running on it was called "Android". Let alone what version it ran (1.6) because Samsung helpfully hid that behind TouchWiz. My dad's pretty tech savvy when it comes to PCs, but he expected his phone to be an appliance, not a science project. However easy YOU may think it is to back up an Android phone doesn't compare to the simplicity of iTunes syncing. You just plug it in to your PC or Mac.

And BTW, I know that Apple learned this from 3COM/Palm. They perfected "one touch" syncing of PalmPilots to computers. Something that Apple egregiously failed to provide for the Newton. So Newton was always this disconnected island of information. For the life of the product, Apple never addressed this. It wasn't until the iPod that Apple finally showed that it learned that lesson. iPhone and iPads continue it. And now that my dad has an iPhone 4S, he's backing up, buying apps, and even upgrading his OS like a champ--without my help. Apple made this functionality extremely accessible to everyone.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #115 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

So you "can't tell if the articles are correct" by looking at the author's track record or by fact checking them or consulting their supporting attributions, and are troubled by "completely slanted and irritating to read rants" and at the same time, prefer reading anonymous troll comments making witticisms. 

Thanks for clearing that up. Maybe you should invest in Amazon and RIM and short Apple and see how that works out for you. 

Yep. Exactly what I said. You probably should go back to SamsungInsider, you'd be better there.

Edit: I wasn't aware you're DED himself. Thanks for taking the pain to flame me, I appreciate it ;)

Edited by lightknight - 1/31/13 at 6:58am

post #116 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
 And now that my dad has an iPhone 4S, he's backing up, buying apps, and even upgrading his OS like a champ--without my help. Apple made this functionality extremely accessible to everyone.

This.

It anyway fits in the whole point I've been making that Apple's success is less about appearance (even though what they build is gorgeous), or innovation, than it is about simplicity. Time Capsule is a (quite expensive) very nice exemple of that: buy it, click three buttons, forget about it until the day you need it.

post #117 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Removable storage on a mobile device is considered an unacceptable security problem by many corporate customers.

Quote:

That's definitely true for USB under Windows (the dreaded autorun.inf "feature"), but where has this been noted as a problem with SD cards on mobile devices in any way that transferring the same files over a network isn't?

1.) No ability to remote erase removable storage.

2.) To a lesser degree, control of sensitive data more difficult (intentional data copying by employees.)

post #118 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Many of this author's links are to other articles by the same author -- which, surprisingly, support the assertions in the current article.  The linked articles often contain other links to articles by the same author... thus you follow the daisy-chain that forms the impression that the author's opinions are settled science.

When first exposed to DED's writing, it may take a while for an Apple fan, like myself, to figure this out because DED/Prince McLean/Corrections/et al are telling us things we like to believe are true... even if they are not.

To see what I mean, just try following the links in this article... then the links in the kinked articles... realizing that many of the writerr are the same DED or DED using a pseudonym.

It's called either:  "Waltz me around, again, Willie"  or "Roll me over in the clover, roll me over lay me down and do it again".

Edited by Dick Applebaum - 1/30/13 at 2:35pm

post #119 of 152

Yes, because no one but Apple could get away with charging 300 dollars more for 30 dollars worth of increased memory.

post #120 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Yes, because no one but Apple could get away with charging 300 dollars more for 30 dollars worth of increased memory.

No one but Apple and everyone else charges more for NAND than the wholesale cost difference. But sure, go ahead and troll if you want to make ass out of yourself.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's 128GB iPad aims to drive profits up a path competitors can't easily follow
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's 128GB iPad aims to drive profits up a path competitors can't easily follow