or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 59% of iPhone users spend more than $100 per month on carrier bills

59% of iPhone users spend more than $100 per month on carrier bills

post #1 of 67
iPhone users have the highest carrier bills among all smartphone platforms, with with 10 percent spending more than $200 per month with their carrier.

CIRP

The data comes from the latest research by Consumer Intelligence Research Partners, which shared the info with All Things D. A total of 59 percent of iPhone users polled between October and December of 2012 indicated they spend more than $100 per month with their carrier, compared to 55 percent of Android users, 40 percent of BlackBerry owners, and 56 percent of Windows Phone users.

None of the iPhone owners polled by CIRP spend less than $25 per month on their bill, while just 6 percent fell in the $25 to $50 range. In comparison, 14 percent of Android users were under $50, and 30 percent of BlackBerry owners had that low of a monthly bill.

In the $51 to $100 range were 36 percent of iPhone owners, with the bulk ? 49 percent ? spending between $101 and $200 per month.

Carriers pay higher subsidies for Apple's iPhone to lock users into a new two-year contract. As a result, the carriers get customers to commit to monthly plans that are costlier on average than those used by owners of competing smartphones.

Michael Levin, co-founder of CIRP, told All Things D that he believes the difference comes from the fact that "all" iPhone users are on "expensive data plans," while some Android users are un prepaid or unsubsidized plans offered by regional carriers.

Carrier subsidy costs for the iPhone became a focal point for Apple last year, when some market watchers expressed concern that carriers could balk at Apple's higher subsidies. Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook downplayed those concerns last July, noting that the total subsidy that carriers pay is "fairly small" when compared with the monthly payments that carriers collect from their subscribers.

Cook also noted that the iPhone has a lower "churn rate," a term the wireless industry uses to describe the number of customers who leave a carrier in a given time period, He also said that iPhone users are also more likely to have an iPad with a data plan, while Apple's engineering teams work closely with carrier partners in an effort to find the most efficient way of handling data.

"At the end of the day, the carriers want to provide their customers with what their customers want to buy," Cook said. "And so the most important thing for Apple by far is to continue making the best products in the world."
post #2 of 67
This has to be a US poll.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #3 of 67

I doubt there are millions of people who pay $200 for an "expensive data plan" all for themselves.

I would suggest that the primary reason why a bill would be so high, is because it's for a family.   E.g. add in the kids who got an iPhone.

post #4 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Michael Levin, co-founder of CIRP, told All Things D that he believes the difference comes from the fact that "all" iPhone users are on "expensive data plans," while some Android users are un prepaid or unsubsidized plans offered by regional carriers.

My 15€/mo "expensive data plan" would like to disagree, Michael.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #5 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

I doubt there are millions of people who pay $200 for an "expensive data plan" all for themselves.

I would suggest that the primary reason why a bill would be so high, is because it's for a family.   E.g. add in the kids who got an iPhone.

Professionals maybe? Or people who can't live without checking AppleInsider and download TS's pictures several times a day?

post #6 of 67

Before my company picked up the tab (had to switch to Big Red from AT&T), my bill was between $134 to $136 a month with taxes.  Unlimited (read throttled after 3 gigs) data and unlimited everything else.

post #7 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This has to be a US poll.

I certainly would like to see figures for other countries, though I'm not surprised it's US-only.

Quote:

I would suggest that the primary reason why a bill would be so high, is because it's for a family.   E.g. add in the kids who wanted an iPhone.

It looks relatively platform agnostic. 59% iPhone vs. 53% with Android.

I didn't notice any mention in either article on multi-line / family plans, which should have been an obvious question to the writer at All Things D. The only way to get the full paper is to buy a copy, which is out of the question as far as I'm concerned.
post #8 of 67

We have Verizon iPhone service and Verizon FiOS Internet, TV, Landline.

If you priced our home service based on their cellular plan, FiOS would cost us over three grand a month.

Currently, our 90+Mbps FiOS bill is about 25% less than our two iPhone plan.

When will the mobile data bubble burst? They have our you know what's in a vice.

post #9 of 67
The bigger news item here is: There seems to be not much difference on this score between the major platforms. They all seem to be between 55% - 60%.

I am actually surprised by that!
Edited by anantksundaram - 1/30/13 at 7:19am
post #10 of 67
I'm one of the lucky 34% that still has unlimited data with AT&T (was a iPhone user way back when, and they have never made me change my plan), but I think paying over $100 is murder. Just like Cable TV they get away with it because its nearly a Monopoly. In this day and age of technology, I would have hoped that prices would have dropped. "Overuse" of data is not what's bogging down the lines, AT&T and Verizon have both admitted that they still have plenty of so-called horsepower, they just want us to think that its limited like Crude Oil.

I throw apples out the window for penguins to eat.

I throw apples out the window for penguins to eat.

post #11 of 67
I had the AT&T family plan before moving to the mobile share plan. Even with just 1 or 2 phones, I never spent over $100/phone. This was when I had to pay extra for text messages and had a 1400 minute plan. After AT&T changed to call anywhere, I dropped to a 700 minute plan and still had roll-over minutes. Now with 5 iPhones on a MobileShare 6GB plan our total bill is just over $300 or $60/phone. 6GB is a lot of data unless you're constantly watching movies. Even if I moved to the top data tier I don't believe it would put us at $500/mo so I'd like to know how people are paying so much per phone.
post #12 of 67

I fall in to the $101-200 category myself. I have an iPhone 4S on AT&T's network with unlimited everything. I don't find this hard to believe at all.

post #13 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I certainly would like to see figures for other countries, though I'm not surprised it's US-only.
It looks relatively platform agnostic. 59% iPhone vs. 53% with Android.

Exactly what I was thinking. This obviously is a US only, so with that in mind, we just learned that Android & iPhone control over 92% of the smartphone market here so to me... the other OS's are absolutely meaningless. What I see in this headline is a confirmation that cellphone bills are exceedingly expensive. Period.

post #14 of 67

I went from $129/month (original "unlimited" iPhone ATT plan, no text, some international calls, taxes, fees) to ~$50/month (Straighttalk + Google voice for international) on my out of contract IP4. Once Apple releases a phone that is truly worth the $700 price over my current IP4, I'll buy it unsubsidized and go with an MVNO or TMO (if they ever get their network in order) prepaid. If the only option is an expensive $100+ contract on the big carriers, I'll go Android.

Because those prices are an EXTREME RIPOFF.

post #15 of 67
Quote:

So, that many customers have family plans?

post #16 of 67
I pay 20 euros a month for :
3GB internet with tethering
Unlimited calls to all mobile phones in France, US and Canada
Unlimited calls to all landlines in 150 countries
Unlimited SMS/MMS
150 TV channels included
post #17 of 67
Does this survey ask how many iPhones are on your plan?
With two iphones, unlimited data for one, 2GB for the other, and the requisite 200 sms @ $5 for each, we're paying $120 plus taxes [as part of our $292/month Uverse bill]
post #18 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralParkMac View Post

I fall in to the $101-200 category myself. I have an iPhone 4S on AT&T's network with unlimited everything. I don't find this hard to believe at all.

I just checked and got up to $139/mo for unlimited calling, text messaging and the 5GB data plan. I didn't add international dialing. I would find a friend and check out MobileShare to see if you could drop the per phone costs down to a reasonable level.

post #19 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

Does this survey ask how many iPhones are on your plan?
With two iphones, unlimited data for one, 2GB for the other, and the requisite 200 sms @ $5 for each, we're paying $120 plus taxes [as part of our $292/month Uverse bill]

Wow that's a lot. In France we have packages at 30+15 euros for internet router + tv + unlimited calls on landline + unlimited everything on mobile.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmobile.free.fr%2F

post #20 of 67

The reason I stayed with AT&T when I got my iPhone 5 was that Verizon couldn't come close to matching my grandfathered plan's $65/month bill with FAN discount: 450 minutes, 200 texts, and "unlimited" data (throttled past 5 GB).  I use maybe 120 minutes, and on the order of 1 or 2 GB of data, but the real reason this plan works for me is that the lion's share my texting is through iMessage.

It would suck to have to buy one of the new plans today...

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

post #21 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Wow that's a lot. In France we have packages at 30+15 euros for internet router + tv + unlimited calls on landline + unlimited everything on mobile.

It does show Americans can really cut back on their costs. Free should expand in their developing economy!

post #22 of 67
Considering the iPhone is slowly moving more and more into the prepaid market, that would explain most of this.

Nearly every other platform has low-end phones available cheap on prepaid carriers. If/when Apple comes out with a new, lower priced, entry level iPhone for prepaid, this could change quite a bit.

Meanwhile I, and many others I know, am enjoying my iPhone on Straight Talk for under $50 per month after taxes. It isn't exactly perfect, but it works.

Apple really needs to relax the APN restrictions for unlocked iPhones running on AT&T MVNO plans.
post #23 of 67
I'm moving to sprint to join my parents. Even 89$ a month, the cheapest for a Verizon iPhone, is too much. Also I'm rooting for the little guy. I hope sprint does not disappoint.
post #24 of 67

Making people pay for sms has always been a scam.

Cell towers constantly communicate between them and it doesn't cost a thing.

post #25 of 67

Yep. Count me in. 

Welcome to Rogers.™

(then again, I still have my grandfathered 6GB data plan. If I leave, I can kiss that goodbye. Damn golden handcuffs.)

post #26 of 67
Holy crap!

I pay $50 a month for 250 daytime minutes, unlimited evenings/weekends, unlimited sms/mms, 6 GB data, $0.10/min long distance, call ID and voicemail.

Before I found this deal, I was at $65/month for the same thing minus discounted long distance.

What are people doing to hit the $200 mark?!?

(I'm in Canada)
post #27 of 67
Quote:

Subway trains keep moving whether there are 100 or 1000 passengers. So perhaps transit should be free?

post #28 of 67
Quote:

I would hope they calculated the cost "per line/device", otherwise it adds a bunch of other variables.

iPhone households might have more kids with smart phones or they might also have tables/computer on the account, etc.

post #29 of 67

Swedish 499 a month (USD79) for

Phone, 32GB Iphone5, 24 Months.

5GB data, 27MBit/s throughput on 3G

1000Min talk time, 1000 text messages.

(1000 mins are never used, iMessage often is free)

I also have five phonenumbers within the same

carrier network that are free to call, I only pay opening fee

(10 cents) and the call is free, no matter how long I talk...

This includes a twin-card for my iPad.

For me this translates as "as much as I can chew"...

Seems like Cell Phones in US means high prices and

pretty rotten data-traffic.

And Spotify was included in the deal...for 12 months...

In sweden people are cancelling their land-lines and goes all

cellular. ... it's cheaper...

post #30 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

I had the AT&T family plan before moving to the mobile share plan. Even with just 1 or 2 phones, I never spent over $100/phone. This was when I had to pay extra for text messages and had a 1400 minute plan. After AT&T changed to call anywhere, I dropped to a 700 minute plan and still had roll-over minutes. Now with 5 iPhones on a MobileShare 6GB plan our total bill is just over $300 or $60/phone. 6GB is a lot of data unless you're constantly watching movies. Even if I moved to the top data tier I don't believe it would put us at $500/mo so I'd like to know how people are paying so much per phone.

Your comments validate my costs. 4 iPhones, 6 gig data share, at around $260/month.

Seems the survey, or at least the article summarizing the survey didn't account for multiline plans. As far as I see it is irrelevant what phone you have, the billed usage fees are the same no matter what smart phone you buy.
post #31 of 67
Quote:

People seem to totally ignore the rest of the resources that each message takes.  It's like saying a package to me sent from halfway around the world should only cost as much as the last few feet, or even be free because the postman drives by every day anyway.

The cell tower comms are the smallest part of an SMS transfer, just like the postman is the last small part of the mail.  And even those small parts have a cost.

post #32 of 67

i am the 6%

post #33 of 67

I pay about $70/month for 450 minutes, 250 txt messages, unlimited data (grandfathered from POS Android), 18% off from work. How can anyone spend $200 on an individual phone plan

post #34 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Subway trains keep moving whether there are 100 or 1000 passengers. So perhaps transit should be free?

Actually, yes. Transit SHOULD be free.

It is not equivalent to "Transit should not have a cost", since transit should be managed by the state, that itself should outsource the activities involved to the cheapest company through clear, efficient public offers that the general public can check for foul play, and paid for through taxes.

The benefits are clear: less pollution due to personal cars since the public system is much more efficient, an economy that picks up due to the ability of workers to be at places they have to go to with no expense, cheaper operation than in a liberal economy...

Obviously, just like with ATT/Verizon in the Telecom "Bizness", some people would not like this as it would make their gold-studded Rolls a little less affordable for their still-gold-lined-anyway pockets.

But no issue, please remain convinced of being right and keep paying ten times what I pay for the same service.

post #35 of 67

The average consumer only cares if they can pay their "muntlies"...

If the monthly cost for their cell phone goes up, they will just lower how much they are paying on their credit card debt..  

You must consume.  Buy more, use more. Must have the latest gadget to impress everyone.  

I wonder how much a month social security will cover of their phone bill?

post #36 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Don't assume everyone in the U.S. pays high fees. I pay only $50 a month for unlimited everything, truly unlimited with no soft caps or throttling and that includes LTE and 3G, unlimited calls, and also unlimited texts. I use a lot more than 1,000 talk and texts a month so your plan in Sweden would not be very useful for me. I am with Sprint on a special legacy plan. It is no longer available to new customers. Millions of other people are also on legacy plans or get special discounts as high as 30% off every month. America may have some very expensive plans but is also has some incredibly cheap plans as well for people that were lucky enough to get and keep them. Any plan that doesn't include unlimited calls or texts would be useless to me and now that we have LTE your 5GB data cap isn't enough for me since I am averaging 8GB or more a month now. Others here might be jealous of your plan, I am not one of them.

Good for you sincerely :D

As an aside, it raises questions on a system where, apparently, some people who "got lucky" have a great deal, paid for by the people who "did not get lucky".

Doesn't exactly fit with the "to each according to their merit" dogma, but then again, dogma and reality never seem to go along ^^

post #37 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Actually, yes. Transit SHOULD be free.

It is not equivalent to "Transit should not have a cost", since transit should be managed by the state, that itself should outsource the activities involved to the cheapest company through clear, efficient public offers that the general public can check for foul play, and paid for through taxes.

The benefits are clear: less pollution due to personal cars since the public system is much more efficient, an economy that picks up due to the ability of workers to be at places they have to go to with no expense, cheaper operation than in a liberal economy...

Obviously, just like with ATT/Verizon in the Telecom "Bizness", some people would not like this as it would make their gold-studded Rolls a little less affordable for their still-gold-lined-anyway pockets.

But no issue, please remain convinced of being right and keep paying ten times what I pay for the same service.

If transit should be free and managed by the state, shouldn't cell phone use be free to?   Well at least for 47% of the people? 

We will only be a free and equal country when everyone has an unlimited data plan, right?

post #38 of 67
Quote:

People seem to totally ignore the rest of the resources that each message takes.  It's like saying a package to me sent from halfway around the world should only cost as much as the last few feet, or even be free because the postman drives by every day anyway.

The cell tower comms are the smallest part of an SMS transfer, just like the postman is the last small part of the mail.  And even those small parts have a cost.

That's a very accurate fact. The fact that SMS are a scam is unrelated to tower communications, it's related to the pricing rates compared to pure data.

post #39 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

My 15€/mo "expensive data plan" would like to disagree, Michael.

US plans are not so great. You can get cheap phones due to subsidies, yet they have to pay for them somehow. The phone companies spend a lot of what they take in on subsidies. I wish more of it went to improving the networks. The practice also makes it more difficult for smaller carriers to gain leverage, as most of them can't afford huge phone subsidies. You always pay for that phone somewhere.

Quote:

Are there any good articles on that? I have no idea how it works.

post #40 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

If transit should be free and managed by the state, shouldn't cell phone use be free to?   Well at least for 47% of the people? 

We will only be a free and equal country when everyone has an unlimited data plan, right?

That's a debatable question, but not one with a clear cut answer, and definitely not one solvable on AppleInsider...

It could be argued that your (sarcastic) affirmation happens to be true.

1- If the people of America decide to elect a President on that demand alone, who would you be to say they're wrong? It's democracy.

2- If the costs involved with offering unlimited data plans to everyone are affordable through fair and efficient use of taxes (which remains to be proven), it seems clear that it's a better option than expensive data plans for everyone through unfair rates and inefficient use of the legal system (which is currently, according to the data presented earlier, the case in America in the telecom industry).

I happen to believe that a limited data plan for free for everyone, paid for through taxes, and a commercial offer on top of it for customers with needs, probably is the best possible situation, but I understand that people might disagree. My solution, obviously, would allow productive people to be more efficient, engender a richer and more open country, and enhance freedom of speech (for better and for worse). It does mean that some losers out there get free service while offering absolutely nothing in exchange, which seems to be so horrible to the average american that they'd rather go for a suboptimal situation for everyone than allow Joe Drunk to have the basic health/public transportation/communication needs covered.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 59% of iPhone users spend more than $100 per month on carrier bills