or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › BlackBerry announces new company name, new Z10 & Q10 devices running BB10
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BlackBerry announces new company name, new Z10 & Q10 devices running BB10 - Page 2

post #41 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

...that whole Alicia Keys

 

New adventures in shark jumping. Who was the genius who thought this would be an enterprise pleasing addition?

post #42 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It sure took them a long time to come up with their own copy based on the revolutionary iPhone. The iPhone was released in 2007 and here we are in 2013, and they are presenting their touch screen based phone.

 

(...)

 Just who is their target audience?


Wait wait wait.

 

1- there were touch based phones before

2- Apple's iPhone is not that revolutionary (see OpenMoko). What is revolutionary is the ease of use and tight integration within the Apple ecosystem, topped off with awesome build quality

3- are you seriously arguing that Apple should be the only company allowed to do touch based phones?

4- I agree with the last sentence. Blackberrim doesn't know what to sell to whom. Their attempts to reach to developers have been pathetic at best, and while their new phone does look somehow professional, I'm afraid that the lack of focus will kill it before it can capitalize on the enterprise

5- Businesses have undergone "BYOD" transformations since the iPhone, and hat's something Blackberry won't be able to deal with imho, as they rely on two things: companies issuing their devices to employees, and some people seeing their device as a "I'm a pro" status symbol. BB means "I'm a dinosaur", right now, and "I'm an out of touch pro" sucks for a touch-phone.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #43 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post


Wait wait wait.

 

1- there were touch based phones before

2- Apple's iPhone is not that revolutionary (see OpenMoko). What is revolutionary is the ease of use and tight integration within the Apple ecosystem, topped off with awesome build quality

3- are you seriously arguing that Apple should be the only company allowed to do touch based phones?

4- I agree with the last sentence. Blackberrim doesn't know what to sell to whom. Their attempts to reach to developers have been pathetic at best, and while their new phone does look somehow professional, I'm afraid that the lack of focus will kill it before it can capitalize on the enterprise

5- Businesses have undergone "BYOD" transformations since the iPhone, and hat's something Blackberry won't be able to deal with imho, as they rely on two things: companies issuing their devices to employees, and some people seeing their device as a "I'm a pro" status symbol. BB means "I'm a dinosaur", right now, and "I'm an out of touch pro" sucks for a touch-phone.

1. Maybe there were, but they sure didn't work like an iPhone did, with the multi touch interface.

 

3. No, I am merely saying that Apple paved the way for everybody else, and changed the entire industry. Apple is like Classic Coke and everybody else is coming out with their own attempts at it, which reminds me of Key Food Cola. I never buy Key Food Cola, no matter how cheap it is.

 

4. I agree.

post #44 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Is anyone collecting all the "eat crow" references already? I'll start with the first one:

One of RIM's 17 CEOs upon the introduction of the iPhone: "Users need a physical keyboard. A virtual keyboard sucks ass. This iPhone? What a f-ing joke. It'll last 3 weeks. The BlackBerry is king and will whip its ass."

Today: "eschews a physical keyboard."

One serving of crow delivered.


Unlike Microsoft, Blackberry (RIM) got rid of the dead wood at the top and then reinvented its lineup.

 

Mike Dell is taking a different approach... using some of his own money to help take his company private.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #45 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post


You have to love how "standard" is somehow synonymous with "north-american".

 

France is not exactly the center of the universe.

post #46 of 107

I like what I saw. but... remember Palm?! They used to have something good as well and that didn't work. Apple and Samsung are eating the market. Even poor little Microsoft couldn't compete. My only hope that if someone buys BlackBerry let it not be HP!!

post #47 of 107

I do hope that Blackberry (yes, thats the new company name now) is able to at least survive, sao this looks like a very solid effort. It would make things more interesting for sure. I just have a feeling it will have a very uphill battle, when competing with the financial warchest and ecosystem headstart of the other players. I'm Canadian, so I want them to succeed, and its clear they've been humbled by the last few years and are putting a serious effort into making a good product and platform. The way things are shaping up now, it's basically iOS vs the garbage that is Touchwiz, and I'd take this over touchwiz anyday. 

post #48 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

New adventures in shark jumping. Who was the genius who thought this would be an enterprise pleasing addition?

It would have more sense to get Chuck Berry… or maybe not because that's what BB users have been doing for the past 6 years, chucking their blackberries.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #49 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They're already eating up iPhones.

So that's it? Game Over? There was a article in Yahoo yesterday where there's a markedly switch from the iPhone in Hong Kong and Singapore. Companies that once revered BBs will take these into consideration and many will switch back.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #50 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It would have more sense to get Chuck Berry… or maybe not because that's what BB users have been doing for the past 6 years, chucking their blackberries.

HA!!! You're all jokes today.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #51 of 107
I think this looks really good. I agree it will not make too many heavily-invested people and companies switch from iPhone ... But the good news here for iOS users is this will impel Apple to stay on its toes and introduce new features that make sense. The screen sharing is great, so are some of the UI features. Come on guys, competition is good!
post #52 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

 

New adventures in shark jumping. Who was the genius who thought this would be an enterprise pleasing addition?

 

Almost as bad as whats-her-face at the Windows 8 keynote, this celebrity schtick is so cynical and insulting. I'm glad Apple doesn't enagage in this kind of bullshit (in large part) at their keynotes. 

post #53 of 107

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #54 of 107
DOA
post #55 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That would be great is they were allowed to acknowledge that the iPhone or Apple even exists.

Which is why they're not in Samsung's position. They're at the edge of the precipice, holding Nokia's hand tightly, wondering what happened.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #56 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post


Wait wait wait.

1- there were touch based phones before
2- Apple's iPhone is not that revolutionary (see OpenMoko). What is revolutionary is the ease of use and tight integration within the Apple ecosystem, topped off with awesome build quality

1. The corpses of Palm / Handspring / Windows Mobile nods in agreement.

2. You mean "original", not "revolutionary." The iPhone did spark a revolution in what the public expected from their smartphones, and that in turn put companies that adapted quickly (Samsung) ahead of companies that did not (Nokia, RIM). Since 2007, the marketshare numbers for smartphones flipped from the old guard (Palm, Nokia, RIM) to the new (Apple, Samsung).

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #57 of 107

LISTEN TO THE VIDEO in the article.  All the way through.  

 

Priceless:

 

http://macdailynews.com/2013/01/30/how-to-dodge-interview-questions-about-apples-iphone-rim-style/

post #58 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmantle View Post

Different form factors, slick features, secure communication, business customers will eat this up. Predicting a big gain of market share assuming they don't overprice their services.

 

Unlike many of the posters on the thread (whether pro- or anti- BB) you get that from the company's POV the device is just an arrow, while the philosophy of the OS and underlying infrastructure is more about the target, i.e.., the Enterprise....

There are plenty of NODS to the consumer, but more because RIM (there go a lot of bad sex puns) Blackberry wants their business users to only need one phone they'll still find meeting their non-business needs. Any "consumer Consumers" who buy will simply be a bonus, at least in this latest "bet the company" operation.

 

Not saying it's all gonna work out for 'em, but think they have a fighting shot at their niche.  There's obviously been a whole lot of not only re-thinking going on at our neighbor up north, but a fair amount of new thinking about a paradigm for a modern smart phone designed ground up for large biz.  And I think they've a shot here. 

In fact, I'm more than a little surprised, given their flailing about wildly and badly since the iPhone's released.  A much better effort than all of those put together and then some.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I do hope that Blackberry (yes, thats the new company name now) is able to at least survive, sao this looks like a very solid effort. It would make things more interesting for sure. I just have a feeling it will have a very uphill battle, when competing with the financial warchest and ecosystem headstart of the other players. I'm Canadian, so I want them to succeed, and its clear they've been humbled by the last few years and are putting a serious effort into making a good product and platform. The way things are shaping up now, it's basically iOS vs the garbage that is Touchwiz, and I'd take this over touchwiz anyday. 


I won't say "fear not," but my decades of watching the digital revolution tell me they've done about the best job of differentiating themselves from what's already out there that has a chance of locking in a solid niche.  And Canada's cool by me.  And cold, so this wave's from a distance.  But hope of a viable Canuck phone maker lives as of today....

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Watched the video and drifted off.  Hm.

 

And you, sir, are (I'm guessing) not an IT manager, then??  So that special app store section specializing in things like Fedex shipping management or CRM is likely not your cup of tea.  But it is an important customer group's meat and taters.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcolley View Post

Greatest iPhone rip off of all time RIM must have hired some Samsung Engineers

 

There are certainly some nods to the iP5's form factor, but the OS, UI and management features are very much BB's own take.  The ability to accomplish business tasks is this phone's "Job One" and raison d'etre.  Take BB Balance, where the biz and downtime functions of the phone are isolated from each other, and IT is given a window into the business side as one example.

I've also read there's some back end software that will allow shops to manage BB's, iP's and Droids in concert. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post


4- I agree with the last sentence. Blackberrim doesn't know what to sell to whom. Their attempts to reach to developers have been pathetic at best, and while their new phone does look somehow professional, I'm afraid that the lack of focus will kill it before it can capitalize on the enterprise

 

5- Businesses have undergone "BYOD" transformations since the iPhone, and hat's something Blackberry won't be able to deal with imho, as they rely on two things: companies issuing their devices to employees, and some people seeing their device as a "I'm a pro" status symbol. BB means "I'm a dinosaur", right now, and "I'm an out of touch pro" sucks for a touch-phone.

 

Seems I remember reading they've promised 70,000 apps. And a richly-stocked selection of media, with (I heard) possibly a free music service and video deals inked with all or nearly all the big vid content kings.  If that's mostly true (even if most are not consumer-facing, though they've promised a lot of the standard couch surfing stuff), way ahead of Win Phone 8 out of the box.

They've specifically also addressed ways of managing both phones from the companies and BB's people bring in from home, though there will certainly be more of the former than the latter at and for a time after launch.  Not hopeless.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

France is not exactly the center of the universe.

 

Shhhhh....  ....don't tell 'em!!  The "Force d'Frappe" still exists....  (Bonus points for any Cold War fans out there who catch the ref)

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Not a bad looking OS. Reminds me a bit of WebOS which really was a very easy and fun to use OS. It will have a similar hurdle. WebOS primarily failed due to lack of apps compared to iOS and Android. There were other problems especially in terms of inferior hardware as well, but it was really a very good OS. Blackberry already has far more apps than WebOS ever had but still a pittance compared to iOS or Android. 

 

Assuming their phones are competitive in terms of hardware specs, I can see Blackberry leapfrogging Windows and staying a solid 3rd place for a while if they can work with app developers to bring more titles to their platform. They don't need 1M apps, just a few thousand at first of the most popular ones for the other platforms. There are a lot of former Blackberry users nostalgic to return to the fold and just waiting for an excuse to do so. This could be it. 

 

The WebOS phones, while very cool in concept were mis-managed from bill of materials to marketing to apps from day one.  This, as noted, feels different.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

DOA

 

If I were Jon Gruber, I'd file this post under "Claim Chowder" and throw it back atcha' a year from now if it's not....

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #59 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


It would have more sense to get Chuck Berry… or maybe not because that's what BB users have been doing for the past 6 years, chucking their blackberries.

Fred Berry would be my pick.

 

Rerun.....get it?

 

 

AppleMark

You talkin' to me?
Reply
You talkin' to me?
Reply
post #60 of 107

Or Ken Berry.

 

 

 

 

Then they can name it the new Mayberry10 RFD

 

 

 

 

You talkin' to me?
Reply
You talkin' to me?
Reply
post #61 of 107

Pogue's review in the New York Times sings the Z10's praises, especially its predictive text capabilities.

 

I do have to say that iOS's predictive text capabilities suck. Big time. I can't believe that after six years of iPhone use, the darn thing still types in 'gave' when I mean to type 'have' and 'live' when mean to type 'love.' And many more like that. Moreover, it has a serious bias against -- and does not seem to have the capability to remember -- non-US proper names.

 

Seriously improving the quality of its predictive texting capabilities would be, for me, the BIGGEST fix that iOS7 could make.

post #62 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


There was a article in Yahoo yesterday where there's a markedly switch from the iPhone in Hong Kong and Singapore.

Yeah, since an article in Yahoo! said so, it must be true. 1rolleyes.gif

post #63 of 107

Priceless, indeed. And pathetic too, I might add...... lol.gif

post #64 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

France is not exactly the center of the universe.


No, that's right. CERN* invented the web, the microcomputer comes from Lannion, "we"** built the fastest commercial liner, the biggest one, the fastest passenger train, the smallest nuclear aircraft carrier (which may, or may not, be a good thing, but a cool one nonetheless), and single handedly built satellite launchers back when the space race was on. It does make France slightly relevant, if clearly not the center of the universe.

 

You're anyway missing the point, which is that "standard" keyboard is relevant to a given market. In the US, standard is QWERTY. In Paris, it's AZERTY. In Japan, it's complicated (I know, I saw one, it has ひらがな all over it. I did not let it approach me, of course, I destroyed it with a flame thrower and survived the onslaught of alien characters...).

 

 

*CERN actually means Centre Européen de Recherche Nucléaire, and the name is French mainly because France has the atom bomb, to make it simple. It's a very european endeavor, and the main actors (Berners-Lee/Cailliau) of the invention of the web actually are British and Belgian. Europe is a complex beast, which is why I live in Amsterdam. Maar ik ben geen gekke Frans...

 

** It is a bit ludicrous to attribute to myself using "we" the merits of much more intelligent people, but it's one of the issues with nationalism.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #65 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


1. The corpses of Palm / Handspring / Windows Mobile nods in agreement.

2. You mean "original", not "revolutionary." The iPhone did spark a revolution in what the public expected from their smartphones, and that in turn put companies that adapted quickly (Samsung) ahead of companies that did not (Nokia, RIM). Since 2007, the marketshare numbers for smartphones flipped from the old guard (Palm, Nokia, RIM) to the new (Apple, Samsung).

1- And rightly so. Having been forced to work with these as a programmer, and to be honest STILL being forced to maintain existing systems, I'd revive them just for the opportunity of killing them again.

2- That's a very true definition of "revolutionary", but I'm afraid it's not the one that most people use when they say "Apple's revolutionary". It would, after all, make Microsoft a much more revolutionary company than Apple, since they pretty much redefined the PC world. Still, very right.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #66 of 107
I like how they named it the 1 letter that Canadians and Americans say differently. The "Zed 10".
post #67 of 107

And Zed Zed Top is still going 1smile.gif

post #68 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by qrob View Post

And Zed Zed Top is still going 1smile.gif

 

I thought Zed was from Zardoz.

post #69 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

France is not exactly the center of the universe.


Indeed. We all know it's Botswana.

post #70 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Pogue's review in the New York Times sings the Z10's praises, especially its predictive text capabilities.

 

I do have to say that iOS's predictive text capabilities suck. Big time. I can't believe that after six years of iPhone use, the darn thing still types in 'gave' when I mean to type 'have' and 'live' when mean to type 'love.' And many more like that. Moreover, it has a serious bias against -- and does not seem to have the capability to remember -- non-US proper names.

 

Seriously improving the quality of its predictive texting capabilities would be, for me, the BIGGEST fix that iOS7 could make.


Apple might be prevented by patents from adopting better predictive typing.

post #71 of 107
They have changed their company name, but how many people knew that Blackberry was RIM? So they are just calling their company by how people really knew them, Blackberry. If they really wanted to get out from under the bad Blackberry karma, they should have come up with a completely new name. A Blackberry is a Blackberry is a Blackberry... it will always be a Blackberry. Even though it is trying to change its spots. As the Apple ad says "If you don't have an iPhone, you don't have an iPhone."
post #72 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I see the letters q, w, e, r, t, and y in succession. Pretty dang sure that's what it is. No one knows what a Remington keyboard is.

 

 

You're just being a jerk as usual.  You know exactly what I mean.  

 

Almost all keyboards (Dvorak ones being the major exception) are QWERTY keyboards.  

 

The article attempts to differentiate between the iPhone keyboard and the Blackberry keyboard, or the Blackberry Z10 keyboard and the Blackberry Q10 keyboard, by referring to the one with the physical keys as "QWERTY" when in fact they are all QWERTY.  It just perpetuates the Stupidity that physical keyboards are QWERTY and others are not.  

 

It's just sloppy thinking and writing and all it does is energise the veritable army of ignoramuses who believe that virtual keyboards are not also QWERTY keyboards. 

post #73 of 107

1smile.gif1smile.gif1smile.gif

post #74 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post


Apple might be prevented by patents from adopting better predictive typing.

Then they should pay for the damn IP.

post #75 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Then they should pay for the damn IP.

And buy BB.

post #76 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

I thought Zed was from Zardoz.

And I thought Zed was dead
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #77 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

And buy BB.

If anyone should buy BB, it's probably HP.

 

Apple is doing fine on its own, as far as I can tell.

post #78 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

You're just being a jerk as usual.  You know exactly what I mean.  

 

Almost all keyboards (Dvorak ones being the major exception) are QWERTY keyboards.  

 

The article attempts to differentiate between the iPhone keyboard and the Blackberry keyboard, or the Blackberry Z10 keyboard and the Blackberry Q10 keyboard, by referring to the one with the physical keys as "QWERTY" when in fact they are all QWERTY.  It just perpetuates the Stupidity that physical keyboards are QWERTY and others are not.  

 

It's just sloppy thinking and writing and all it does is energise the veritable army of ignoramuses who believe that virtual keyboards are not also QWERTY keyboards. 


I didn't read it that way at all. I have an older BB that is a work phone (used only for calls and texting, of course) and it doesn't have a qwerty keyboard. I think that BB is only trying to ensure that people know it is qwerty and not some "press three times and you might get the letter you want" keyboard.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #79 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

If anyone should buy BB, it's probably HP.

 

Apple is doing fine on its own, as far as I can tell.


I think Michael Dell should buy it.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #80 of 107
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
Almost all keyboards (Dvorak ones being the major exception) are QWERTY keyboards.

 

Those in the English-speaking world. That's not "almost all", is it?


It just perpetuates the Stupidity that physical keyboards are QWERTY and others are not.  

 

It's just sloppy thinking and writing and all it does is energise the veritable army of ignoramuses who believe that virtual keyboards are not also QWERTY keyboards. 

 

I dunno, if you're so stupid that you don't recognize identical key layouts in physical or virtual form, are you anywhere near the market for any of these devices? Lizards can't discern the real from the virtual, but they don't tend to use many advanced electronics. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • BlackBerry announces new company name, new Z10 & Q10 devices running BB10
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › BlackBerry announces new company name, new Z10 & Q10 devices running BB10