or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › BlackBerry announces new company name, new Z10 & Q10 devices running BB10

BlackBerry announces new company name, new Z10 & Q10 devices running BB10 - Page 3

post #81 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by grblade View Post

I like how they named it the 1 letter that Canadians and Americans say differently. The "Zed 10".

Hey, thanks for clearing that up.  It was confusing to see people calling it the "Zed" without speaking in a Brit or Aussie accent. Cool.

But, PS, you forgot (well, to be fair it's a word not a letter), "about."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Almost all keyboards (Dvorak ones being the major exception) are QWERTY keyboards.  

The article attempts to differentiate between the iPhone keyboard and the Blackberry keyboard, or the Blackberry Z10 keyboard and the Blackberry Q10 keyboard, by referring to the one with the physical keys as "QWERTY" when in fact they are all QWERTY.  It just perpetuates the Stupidity that physical keyboards are QWERTY and others are not.

You are a bit harsh and willing to throw a ton of vituperative insults about, about a fairly minor matter, but, wow, you actually did have a point after all.....  ...so all due props for that (with a mandatory minus 5 deduction on style points).  1smoking.gif

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #82 of 107
Zed 10 1wink.gif Way to win over the USA clients

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #83 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I think Michael Dell should buy it.

...and shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #84 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I think Michael Dell should buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

...and shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders.

OK, I'll bite.

Michael who?

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

post #85 of 107

I like the GUI style better than Microsoft's. The hardware looks decent too.

One thing I think Apple could do is leverage the Retina display better. That is, instead of having essentially the same GUI as non-Retina, but sharper, actually do things that are only possible on Retina, such as very small text. There's a bit of this in iTunes 11 on a Retina Mac but it seems like there's more potential there.

post #86 of 107
Probably the closest copy of an iPhone yet - very similar in hardware look AND user interface feel. As most tech companies have learned, the new motto is "copy Apple or die". It worked for Samsung.
post #87 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipm View Post

OK, I'll bite.

Michael who?

What part of Michael Dell don't you understand?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #88 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

No, that's right. CERN* invented the web, the microcomputer comes from Lannion, "we"** built the fastest commercial liner, the biggest one, the fastest passenger train, the smallest nuclear aircraft carrier (which may, or may not, be a good thing, but a cool one nonetheless), and single handedly built satellite launchers back when the space race was on. It does make France slightly relevant, if clearly not the center of the universe.

You're anyway missing the point, which is that "standard" keyboard is relevant to a given market. In the US, standard is QWERTY. In Paris, it's AZERTY. In Japan, it's complicated (I know, I saw one, it has ひらがな all over it. I did not let it approach me, of course, I destroyed it with a flame thrower and survived the onslaught of alien characters...).

*CERN actually means Centre Européen de Recherche Nucléaire, and the name is French mainly because France has the atom bomb, to make it simple. It's a very european endeavor, and the main actors (Berners-Lee/Cailliau) of the invention of the web actually are British and Belgian. Europe is a complex beast, which is why I live in Amsterdam. Maar ik ben geen gekke Frans...

** It is a bit ludicrous to attribute to myself using "we" the merits of much more intelligent people, but it's one of the issues with nationalism.

and they have also made the coolest french fry/frozen french fry cooker ever!... the actifry by TFAL!... honestly, i have one (got it for christmas) and the ease of which it makes frys is amazing!... no more reheating the oven, flipping the frys half way... (and for me they are a bit dry, or soggy, or slightly burn tasting)
and Deep frying the frys a PAIN... (while fantastic, safety problems) you know, heating the oil, making sure it is at the right temperature, cooking the frys, then after that, waiting for the oil to cool, and then cleaning up...

TL;DR get the Actifry from TFAL... if you love frys... it does an amazing job of frozen frys (fresh frys too, but it is a little bit more Effort and time...)

Now, the price is a bit steep (250 dollars) but the product works and the ease of which frozen frys can by made... (dump the frys in, set the time, wait... and EAT)
Edited by haar - 1/31/13 at 7:14am
post #89 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What part of Michael Dell don't you understand?

His last name is Dell? I wonder if he was hired by Dell because he had the same last name as the company. What a coincidence¡

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #90 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

His last name is Dell? I wonder if he was hired by Dell because he had the same last name as the company. What a coincidence¡

Even more far fetched is that maybe just maybe he named the company after himself.
post #91 of 107

if the early reviews are accurate, the BB Z10 has one serious flaw - its mediocre camera - and one fatal flaw - poor battery life. no new product can break into in the crowded smartphone marketplace anymore with crucial basic drawbacks like these that matter to almost everyone. even if it has other attractive features, a "fresh" new UI, and a once-proud brand name (while businesses have already found other solutions to their email setups and moved on).

ask Palm how that turned out.

only question is what company will gobble up what is left of BB after the death watch starts in coming months. Facebook could make a bold move into hardware linked tightly with its social web. or a "merger" with Nokia (and firing of Elop) could give Nokia one last chance to survive as an independent OEM instead of becoming MS' Motorola. 

post #92 of 107

A good effort by BlackBerrry. If this new platform is successful I think it'll be at the cost of Apple more than Android somehow. iOS 7 had better be really good!

post #93 of 107
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post
iOS 7 had better be really good!

It will be. But why? It's already better than this.

RIM's trading on their name alone, which they've just changed. Their fortress is already overrun; all they can do now is try to knock out the intruders before all the defenders have been killed.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #94 of 107

Of course, by the time these phones hit the market, everyone will have forgotten about them.

post #95 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Of course, by the time these phones hit the market, everyone will have forgotten about them.

I sure hope not. I have nothing vested in BlackBerry but I would like to see them carve out a niche for themselves. I think their efforts here have earned it.

post #96 of 107

I think RIM Blackberry will do well with this.  I know more than a few people that miss their Blackberries after converting to iOS or Android, and would jump at a QWERTY/touchscreen phone with a modern OS and cool apps.  Blackberry's stock is tanking, but I think they have a future.  Certainly a better one than Nokia.  

post #97 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Hmmm, battle of the fruits?

Apple better watch out, I heard Facebook is producing a new smartphone named Kumquat. /s

So Facebook can spy on you  more effectively.

I once was  a FB user, but now can't get rid of FB spying on my life.

post #98 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

I think RIM Blackberry will do well with this.  I know more than a few people that miss their Blackberries after converting to iOS or Android, and would jump at a QWERTY/touchscreen phone with a modern OS and cool apps.  Blackberry's stock is tanking, but I think they have a future.  Certainly a better one than Nokia.  

Their OS 10 Apps had better be a LOT BETTER than the crappy Apps on their PlayBook !

Have had my PB for a year, still waiting for an App improvement, both with BB's and user Apps.

There also seems to be a confusing variety of PB App user interface standards(?)  in use.

post #99 of 107

One thing about BB10 - programming on it is far more delightful than on Android, particularly handling UI events. This could be why they managed to draw a reasonable developer crowd for launch.

post #100 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It will be. But why? It's already better than this.

RIM's trading on their name alone, which they've just changed. Their fortress is already overrun; all they can do now is try to knock out the intruders before all the defenders have been killed.

No one can say any mobile OS is better any other one. Some are superior in some ways, while others are superior in other ways.

One area where iOS is noticeably deficient compared to Android and particularly vis-a-vis BB10 is interprocess communications. Arguably, Apple is hindering this on purpose to protect privacy. But BB10 is also inheriting this strength from QNX.

post #101 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

if the early reviews are accurate, the BB Z10 has one serious flaw - its mediocre camera - and one fatal flaw - poor battery life. no new product can break into in the crowded smartphone marketplace anymore with crucial basic drawbacks like these that matter to almost everyone. even if it has other attractive features, a "fresh" new UI, and a once-proud brand name (while businesses have already found other solutions to their email setups and moved on).

only question is what company will gobble up what is left of BB after the death watch starts in coming months. Facebook could make a bold move into hardware linked tightly with its social web. or a "merger" with Nokia (and firing of Elop) could give Nokia one last chance to survive as an independent OEM instead of becoming MS' Motorola. 

Palm's main challenge was convincing carriers to carry the Pre. Blackberry is having no such trouble, at least not in the US.

Why are buying the dumb rumors about Facebook building a phone? Zuckerberg has repeatedly stated the obvious - Facebook needs to thrive on all mobile platforms to succeed. Building their own hardware will only limit their reach. Give that one a rest. It's a dumb idea.

post #102 of 107
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post
No one can say any mobile OS is better any other one. Some are superior in some ways, while others are superior in other ways.

Really? Because I'm pretty sure I can say that iOS is better than Newton OS.

post #103 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Really? Because I'm pretty sure I can say that iOS is better than Newton OS.

It seems safe to presume that he was talking about current major mobile OSes.  

post #104 of 107
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post
It seems safe to presume that he was talking about current major mobile OSes.  

The point I'm making is that he's wrong, is all.

post #105 of 107
I like it. Competition is good and it's good to see them back in the race. Doubt it will disrupt Apple or Samsung any time soon, but it buys RIM time.

... And I bet Microsoft and Nokia are suddenly a lot more nervous ...
post #106 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

if the early reviews are accurate, the BB Z10 has one serious flaw - its mediocre camera - and one fatal flaw - poor battery life.

The reviews on the battery life are very, very inconsistent. Some say it's solid, some say it's solid after a few days and some say it's 'poor' (though better than most Android phones".

As for the PALM discussion, that's superficial. Palm was up to eyeballs in debt, had one carrier to launch on and like $100 million to launch with and run the company on. Not exactly the same.

post #107 of 107

Encouraged by RIM, Steve Ballmer announced today that Microsoft will be changing their company name to "Majorly Hard" and demonstrated again how the Surface RT is a mediocre skateboard as well as a mediocre laptop and mediocre tablet.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • BlackBerry announces new company name, new Z10 & Q10 devices running BB10
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › BlackBerry announces new company name, new Z10 & Q10 devices running BB10