or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple says new Apple TV isn't redesigned, just features minor tweaks

Apple says new Apple TV isn't redesigned, just features minor tweaks - Page 2

post #41 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I won't mind smaller, but it's not as if it's a bulky device. I think it weighs less than the cables attached to it.

The only thing I really want is to make the Netflix app automatically play the next episode. The PS3 Netflix app plays the next episode automatically, press a button to skip the end credits to move on to the next episode. On Apple TV, the clumsy navigation means five button presses to play the next episode.

Yah, what's up with that?

On the other hand, one night I dozed off while watching on my phone and discovered the next day I was done with the season.

post #42 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Exactly. I got my Mom a Roku 2 XD a few months back while they were on sale for $50 which is a great deal. I was so impressed with all the content. Once you discover the private channel lists, there is an amazing amount of content. It even plays a lot of really simple games as well. The iPhone Roku app is also very nice.

What good is a new and improved Apple TV as long as they limit the content to so few channels? Most people simply don't think getting content from iTunes is a good deal. At least with Amazon prime you also get free shipping in addition to content. Apple needs to open up a bit more like Roku and add more channels and some games.

Being able to connect it with your other Apple products is a huge deal for me. Pandora and other services don't even factor into it.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #43 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I call BS on the coffee grinder

Impossible: this rumor was confirmed to me by trusted sources from Asia, working in a supply chain.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #44 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

On the other hand, one night I dozed off while watching on my phone and discovered the next day I was done with the season.

You've saved so much time of your life by combining those two wasteful activities, series and sleeping. You're almost ready to be an efficient chinese iPhone assembler...

post #45 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I've always wondered about this saying: shouldn't it be more aptly phrased "Can't eat your cake and have it too"?

If I have a cake, I have the option to eat it. But if I've already eaten it, I don't have it?

I never understood why you don't take your neighbor's cake...

post #46 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

That would be a good point. Even just pressing a button to continue would be nice.

They do sometimes pop up a question to ask if you're still watching.
post #47 of 121
I wouldn't mind it if they tweaked it so you could plug in a micro USB cable at the back without unplugging the HDMI cable first.
post #48 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

I never understood why you don't take your neighbor's cake...

Not a bad suggestion, but that might amount to stealing.....

post #49 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Being able to connect it with your other Apple products is a huge deal for me. Pandora and other services don't even factor into it.

You can't use Airplay with other devices, but you can stream content from a Mac to other devices. For instance, I have an X-Box 360 which I stream content from my Mac. The 360 also has Internet Explorer so I can just go to Pandora's website and stream from that.

Both the Roku and X-Box have lots of channels, many of which are free. Apple should open the App TV up to more Apps. Perhaps the size of the hard drive is the issue. 

post #50 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

"Blank! BLANK! You're not looking at the big picture!"

That's so going in my sig.

I thought it worked well. In that scene Fry was working on his "execu-speak". I thought of that scene when I originally read the doubling down on secrecy bit.

post #51 of 121

I understand stopping rumors in their tracks but this consistent rumor dispelling opens Pandora's box (pun intended) that if there happens to be a rumor that doesn't get shot down by Apple it will be regarded as fact by 'anal'-ysts and expected as a done deal by "investors."

You can't spell appeal without Apple.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #52 of 121
Quote:

As someone suggested in a related thread: velcro.

and a little mirror so the infrared remote signal can reach the back of the TV? And don't tell me to use the remote app on my iPhone - a physical button remote is much more usable than a touch screen remote.

post #53 of 121

I love my apple tv if just because NHL Gamecenter is apart of it

post #54 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

and a little mirror so the infrared remote signal can reach the back of the TV? And don't tell me to use the remote app on my iPhone - a physical button remote is much more usable than a touch screen remote.

The iPhone remote software is touchy to say the least. A Bluetooth remote would be nice. The Apple remote is fine for travel, but for home use, the size and buttons make the ergonomics questionable. That's another reason I just use a PS3. Its Bluetooth remote is more comfortable to me.
post #55 of 121
This is what you call a "cost reduction". Companies do it all the time. You change the components to get the BOM boat down or simplify assembly, reuse new shared components with other products, etc.

They were right to issue the statement since you prefer these changes to be invisible to the consumer.
post #56 of 121
Quote:
It's possible that Apple could be making the silent switch to an A5X chip in an effort to gradually ramp up production of the processor for another, more popular device.

Or they're trying to burn off six months worth of surplus parts that were meant for the now defunct iPad 3.

post #57 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Agreed. After the FCC leak, Apple wants to put an end to the speculation of what will be in the new version. If the functionality is unchanged why the new filing with FCC? It will be interesting to see what spin they will use when it is formally announced and it does have updated functionality.

They changed the broadband chip. That may require a new FCC filing.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #58 of 121
Quote:

I've always wondered about this saying: shouldn't it be more aptly phrased "Can't eat your cake and have it too"?

If I have a cake, I have the option to eat it. But if I've already eaten it, I don't have it?

Off-topic... but brilliant.  :)  It should be the other way.  But if you eat it, you wouldn't have it.  But technically- you can HAVE your cake, and eat it too.  But can't eat and have it.  Let's change everyone's mind starting with AI

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #59 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Mentioned this in the other thread:

I have the 3 Apple TV 3s and can easily imagine reasons to replace them.  Here is my wish list for what information we know so far:

-Applications (Larger SSD- the current 8gb isn't near enough- 16gb would be adequate, 32gb preferred).  You can't have Apps with the current device because of size limitations.
-Stream internet TV- whether it be Vios or U-verse.  As mentioned in this thread- they could even do a cable company.
-Built in DVR if it has internet TV (again- with 32gb, this would be attainable.  Or at the very least, a software tweak to be able to record and store on a Mac).
-Better search functionality via remote.  Specifically Siri.  Remote looks the same with an additional button you hold, it mutes what you're watching (or turns down substantially), and you tell it what to do or search for.

Software related:
-Unified search across all applications (Even if they dont have apps- this should happen).
-If no apps, add some other ones- like Amazon, HBO, Pandora, CNN, ESPN, or other popular ones.

I'd gladly not only replace my ATVs, but pay more in the process ($199).  By the way- this would make this the best box in the market.  By a mile.  There is absolutely no reason why Apple shouldn't have all the above on the next release (with the exception of internet TV- which is just a wish, but possible).

Actually there's a very good reason...it's called Apple TV.....

Errrr....TV Apple....

Well.... dammit....the actual TV set apple is Allegedly working on at the moment.

I assume Apple will save all the best features for this new TV so that it can be more impressive when they release it.
post #60 of 121
Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post
Actually there's a very good reason...it's called Apple TV.....

Errrr....TV Apple....

I just use "Apple TV" and "Apple HDTV" to differentiate.

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

post #61 of 121
Quote:

Not a bad suggestion, but that might amount to stealing.....

Unless your neighbor is Apple. And then it's OK to take their cake because they would be evil if they didn't share.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #62 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Apple seems to be getting slower and slower with ideas and innovations and new features in their products. Sad.

That's easy to say when you ignore new features in their products.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #63 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That's easy to say when you ignore new features in their products.

So bells and whistles to distract us from the lack of content. Genius.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #64 of 121

Here's what it means to be Apple.

• If they add new features/upgrade the guts but don't change the case, people post "it looks boring."
  • If they change the case without adding new features, people post "cosmetic changes only."
  • If they redesign the case and upgrade the guts, people post "innovation died with Steve"
  • If they ship a new, differentiated product in an existing line, people post "it's not really new. It's just thinner/smaller/cheaper."
  • If they ship a disruptive new product, people post "LOL@APPLE THESE PICTUREZ PROVE APPLE NEVER INVENTZ ANYTHING"

This is the way of things.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #65 of 121
When you make CPU wafers, often several dies don't function up to the standard needed for the original purpose of the chip (could be 10% of the total wafer). Some multi-core chips might have a core that does not function or the chip might not be able to reach full clock speed, or some L2 or L3 might not work. Intel would always take the best and use for their premium chips that could be overclocked. The chips that were not perfect would be clocked down and sold on the lower tier.

Apple is probably using any non-perfect A5x dies in the Apple TV to make good use of 'scrap' dies. This would be a perfect use for the Apple TV as it does not need the highest performance chips, and a great way to keep margin.
post #66 of 121
Quote:

FINALLY someone else sees this also. It really bothers me when people get this wrong. The concept is the "impossibility of having it both ways". The purpose of having cake it to eat it, so that is not impossible. However, trying to have it both ways of eating it, yet still having it, is the impossibility. 

Thanks for pointing this out. 

post #67 of 121
Condsidering The Apple TV is still extremely similar to the 2nd one, I will wait to buy till a decent improvement.(obviously excludes A5 upgrade)
post #68 of 121
Quote:

A "lot" are asking for apps? Just take a look at any one of the related threads: it's just a few whiners.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

My AppleTV is just my Netflix box. Don't really use it for anything else. It needs to be more like Roku. More content. Where's the Amazon streaming app? Other content apps? Hello?

Just buy a Roku then, and get on with life. If you're not using @TV for all of its fabulous functionality -- given your needs and preferences -- that is not Apple's problem. Hello?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Apple seems to be getting slower and slower with ideas and innovations and new features in their products. Sad.

Apple is Doomed.™1rolleyes.gif

just a few whiners?  why should a TV media device limit your choices of media sources?  Look at all of the video apps on the iPad.  HBO Go, Showtime Anywhere, Amazon Prime, Vudu, TedTalksTV, etc, etc.  Apple periodically adds apps to the built in set, but has yet to let people choose others to add.  It's like selling a TV that can only get a predetermined number of the available TV networks.  They tried a similar approach with the iPhone when it was first released, but later corrected themselves and created a thriving app store.

AppleTV has the best UI for streaming devices, but their competition is doing things they should be doing.  Roku lets you add apps.  I added a Roku to a TV that already has an Apple TV primarily for the Ted Talks app.  Roku also has global search.  Search for a title, it searches across Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, etc and lists which ones have it without having to manually go to each one.  You don't need a web browser for global search, you just need some hooks developers can use to make their results available to the search app.  You can also buy BluRay players with apps and an app stores.  Many TVs now come with apps and app stores.

Apple could do so much better than any of them, though.  What they do, they do very well, but they are missing at least 3 things

HDMI 1.4 with 3D support and 3D content in the iTunes store as well as 3rd party apps

App Store

Global search

post #69 of 121

I seriously don't get some of the comments in this thread.  For example, this talk of channels.  Have they not used Hulu+ on the Apple TV before?  It has hundreds of channels.  Does Roku provide some new, amazing channels not found there?  And the app store business has already been solved.  It's called Airplay with mirroring.  Anything that you can play on your mac or idevices can be played on the Apple TV.  The device isn't perfect obviously (continuous episode play in Netflix would be awesome) but most of the issues brought up in here makes it seem like the posters haven't even used an Apple TV before.

2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
post #70 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

I seriously don't get some of the comments in this thread.  For example, this talk of channels.  Have they not used Hulu+ on the Apple TV before?  It has hundreds of channels.  Does Roku provide some new, amazing channels not found there?  And the app store business has already been solved.  It's called Airplay with mirroring.  Anything that you can play on your mac or idevices can be played on the Apple TV.  The device isn't perfect obviously (continuous episode play in Netflix would be awesome) but most of the issues brought up in here makes it seem like the posters haven't even used an Apple TV before.

You can't Airplay everything, and why do I need 2 devices to view something?
post #71 of 121
Quote:

You don't know what you're talking about. Yes, it has Hulu and netflix. You can't AirPlay Showtime, Cinemax, hobo go, amazon instant video, vudu, bbc player, the list goes on, and on, and on.
And besides, if I want to listen to pandora, I shouldn't be forced to have my phone constantly streaming to my Apple TV.

Alan- I had completely forgotten that the Roku has universal search- which blows more holes in Gazobee's comment.

And anant- it isn't a "few" whiners. It's tons of people- several of which are diehard apple fans like myself. I realize Rokus superiority as a streaming device, but still have apple TVs because of iTunes access alone/iCloud with music. But I want Roku's search function and channels. That's not asking too much, honestly.
Edited by Andysol - 1/31/13 at 6:21am

post #72 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandail View Post

They tried a similar approach with the iPhone when it was first released, but later corrected themselves and created a thriving app store.

LOL. That one comment indicates your level of cluelessness.

post #73 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You can't Airplay everything....

Says who? Have you ever tried it?

post #74 of 121
Quote:

Says who? Have you ever tried it?

Andysol just posted a laundry list of what can't be Airplayed, and again why do I need 2 devices to watch something?
Edited by dasanman69 - 1/31/13 at 7:05am
post #75 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

You don't know what you're talking about. Yes, it has Hulu and netflix. You can't AirPlay Showtime, Cinemax, hobo go, amazon instant video, vudu, bbc player, the list goes on, and on, and on.
And besides, if I want to listen to pandora, I shouldn't be forced to have my phone constantly streaming to my Apple TV.

Alan- I had completely forgotten that the Roku has universal search- which blows more holes in Gazobee's comment.

And anant- it isn't a "few" whiners. It's tons of people- several of which are diehard apple fans like myself. I realize Rokus superiority as a streaming device, but still have apple TVs because of iTunes access alone/iCloud with music. But I want Roku's search function and channels. That's not asking too much, honestly.

Showtime, Cinemax and HBO require a subscription to their services to access their content and if you have a subscription then you don't need to airplay it because you access that through your cable box.  As for Amazon Instant Video, that would be Amazon's fault (or their content providers) as they could turn on airplay easily on their end AND if you can access that on your mac with Mountain Lion then you can mirror it (same with BBC Player).  So basically no valid criticism regarding content.

post #76 of 121
Quote:

Showtime, Cinemax and HBO require a subscription to their services to access their content and if you have a subscription then you don't need to airplay it because you access that through your cable box.  As for Amazon Instant Video, that would be Amazon's fault (or their content providers) as they could turn on airplay easily on their end AND if you can access that on your mac with Mountain Lion then you can mirror it (same with BBC Player).  So basically no valid criticism regarding content.

Of course there's a valid argument not everything on HBO GO is available on HBO on demand.
post #77 of 121
Quote:
Of course there's a valid argument not everything on HBO GO is available on HBO on demand.

I haven't found that in my own experience BUT if that is the case then you would access your cable account (in my case it was xfinity/comcast) and play it online and then do mirroring.  I highly doubt that these other boxes are giving people HBO for free.

post #78 of 121
Quote:

I haven't found that in my own experience BUT if that is the case then you would access your cable account (in my case it was xfinity/comcast) and play it online and then do mirroring.  I highly doubt that these other boxes are giving people HBO for free.

No of course they don't but why need 2 devices? It's kinda going back to carrying a cell phone, a MP3 player, and a PDA.
post #79 of 121
Andysol just posted a laundry list of what can't be Airplayed, and again why do I need 2 devices to watch something?

That's by choice, not by impossibility. Apple could easily remove the ability to block AirPlay from the SDK, forcing them into it.

post #80 of 121
Quote:

No of course they don't but why need 2 devices? It's kinda going back to carrying a cell phone, a MP3 player, and a PDA.

So you carry around your streaming box?  As for "needing" two devices, the Apple TV is considered icing on the ecosystem cake and Apple already assumes that you have either an iphone/ipod, ipad or a mac first.  If you don't, then you can still use it but it will have limitations.  If you don't like that then it's not the device for you.  My main gripe were the outright lies regarding content.  One poster even stated some bull about not wanting to be "tied to iTunes" which is straight up untrue.  You can own an Apple TV and NEVER touch iTunes (Netflix, Hulu+, YouTube, Vimeo, 3+ Sports "channels", Radio, Livestreams (Music Festivals and Keynotes), Podcasts).  Sounds like quite a bit of content to me.  And of course the rebuttal consists of a bunch of premium channels that certainly are not available to other streaming boxes out of the box that you can access with the Apple TV if you already have another apple device.

Basically, if one is going to be critical of something at least let that criticism be valid.  I'm not going around trashing Android because it doesn't mop my kitchen floors.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple says new Apple TV isn't redesigned, just features minor tweaks