or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 2013 Honda Accord, Acura RDX & ILX to offer Apple's Siri Eyes Free support

2013 Honda Accord, Acura RDX & ILX to offer Apple's Siri Eyes Free support

post #1 of 40
The American division of carmaker Honda announced on Wednesday it will integrate support for Apple's voice-driven Siri personal assistant into its 2013 Honda Accord and Acura RDX and ILX models.

Honda Accord
The 2013 Honda Accord will offer Siri Eyes Free integration as a dealer upgrade option.

The feature will be a dealer-installed option for customers who buy the latest model of the vehicles. Using a compatible iPhone running iOS 6, users will be able to direct Siri to perform specific tasks while keeping their eyes on the road.

"iPhone has become so integral to people's lives that they continue to use them in their vehicles," said Vicki Poponi, assistant vice president of automobile product planning, American Honda. "Offering Honda and Acura owners Siri and its Eyes Free mode via Bluetooth is an incredible opportunity to provide next-generation connectivity and meet our customer's ever-changing needs."

Honda was already announced last June as one of nine auto makers that planned to support Siri's Eyes Free mode. However, prior to Wednesday's announcement, it was not known which vehicles Honda planned to offer with Siri integration, or when those vehicles would become available.

Earlier this month at the Consumer Electronics Show, Hyundai also announced it would include Eyes Free support for Siri in its next-generation infotainment systems. Hyundai did not give any specific vehicle models.

General Motors did, however, announce support for its Chevy Spark and Sonic vehicles last November.

Hands Free allows the iPhone screen to stay off and help prevent the driver from being distracted by their device. The Siri personal assistant software talks to a user out loud, allowing them to pay attention to the road.

The other companies that have announced plans to support Siri Eyes Free are BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Land Rover, Jaguar, Audi, Toyota, and Chrysler.
post #2 of 40
'American carmaker Honda' really? American? That's like saying 'Chinese iPhone maker Apple'
post #3 of 40

American Carmaker Honda???

Edit: ThinkKnot beat me to it. Still, the end of the article is wrong... it should be:

The other American companies that have announced plans to support American technology Siri Eyes Free are American BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Land Rover, Jaguar, Audi, Toyota, and Chrysler. All hail our glorious leader.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #4 of 40

Yup, that was funny... didn't know Honda was an American Car Company lol.gif

post #5 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I think Honda moved their HQ to the U.S. a few years ago and if not are certainly the most American of any foreign car company.

In any case, this is a good step, a baby step, but a move in the right direction. I want a car with a full iOS experience in the dashboard.

Waaa, come on, you're spoiling the fun. I was going to put a North Korean iPad in that guy's hands...

post #6 of 40

They probably should have worded it a little differently.

American Honda Motor Co., Inc. of Torrance CA, announced on Wednesday...

Edit: I see they changed the copy slightly and is a little better but still wrong because American Honda is not a division of Honda. It is its own entity for financial purposes.

Edited by mstone - 1/30/13 at 1:33pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #7 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I think Honda moved their HQ to the U.S. a few years ago

Nope, their headquarter is still in Japan.... from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Corporate profile and divisions

Honda is headquartered in Minato, Tokyo, Japan. Their shares trade on the Tokyo Stock Exchange and the New York Stock Exchange, as well as exchanges in Osaka, Nagoya, Sapporo, Kyoto, Fukuoka, London, Paris and Switzerland.

The company has assembly plants around the globe. These plants are located in China, the United States, Pakistan, Canada, England, Japan, Belgium, Brazil, México, New Zealand, Malaysia, Indonesia, India, Thailand, Turkey, Taiwan and Perú. As of July 2010, 89 percent of Honda and Acura vehicles sold in the United States were built in North American plants, up from 82.2 percent a year earlier. This shields profits from the yen’s advance to a 15-year high against the dollar.[8]

post #8 of 40

Good for them. But too bad, 'cos they make the dullest, most uninspired cars in the world. Hopefully, the others will follow soon.

post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Good for them. But too bad, 'cos they make the dullest, most uninspired cars in the world. Hopefully, the others will follow soon.

File:Rubens Barrichello 2006 Brazil.jpg

post #10 of 40

post #11 of 40
Quote:

Really? How so? My Pilot begs to differ. A friend has an Acura that is both beautiful and dependable. He has some 200k miles on it and counting.

Pretty subjective opinion there.
post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The don't make that, they sponsor it ;)

post #13 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewyboy View Post

Quote:

The don't make that, they sponsor it ;)

They make the engines/chassis for Indy cars too. 

Edited by mstone - 1/30/13 at 1:55pm

post #14 of 40

I really wish that Toyota would release a software update to my Prius I bought last year for this though I know that they won't

post #15 of 40
Quote:

They make the engines too. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_in_Formula_One

Honda hasn't been in F1 since Brawn (now Mercedes) bought them out before the 2009 season, when they were planning to fold the team. In 2009, Brawn had the best car in F1 (development work done while it was still owned by Honda) and Jenson Button won the driver's title. Timing is everything.

Edited by anonymouse - 1/30/13 at 2:05pm
post #16 of 40

Apple has had car makers doing integration for a number of years, with iPod ports, this goes a step beyond that, but I think it's a good thing for Apple, the car makers, and the owners.

post #17 of 40
Quote:

I'm quite a fan of Honda's vehicles. The Accord is no Bugatti Veyron or Maybach I find them well made, economical, and stylish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

I really wish that Toyota would release a software update to my Prius I bought last year for this though I know that they won't

There is one but it's an Over-the-Air update so you're gonna have to do some Dukes of Hazzard jumps until it completely downloads 1biggrin.gif

Edited by SolipsismX - 1/30/13 at 3:18pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #18 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Quote:

They make the engines too. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_in_Formula_One

Honda hasn't been in F1 since Brawn (now Mercedes) bought them out before the 2009 season, when they were planning to fold the team. In 2009, Brawn had the best car in F1 and Jenson Button won the driver's title. Timing is everything.

I see they are still in Indy car. I was confused which cars they were making now.

post #19 of 40
Quote:

I see they are still in Indy car. I was confused which cars they were making now.

Those are just fancy carts. 1wink.gif

post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclancer View Post

Nope, their headquarter is still in Japan.... from Wikipedia:

Ugly building...

post #21 of 40
In what is not coincidental, Hyundai and Kia announce cars with Samsung Free Eyes.
post #22 of 40
This is probably one of the major product-related reasons why Forstall was fired. Because mapping with turn-by-turn driving directions is so important in the automotive software market. And because you can never completely erase the first impression (especially if it's negative).

Fortunately for Apple, most peoples' first impression of the new Maps is just fine. I've had zero problems with it. Tech weenies who read tech blogs (and quite a few paid astroturfers and paid trolls) made a big deal out of Maps' problems, but the greater consumer market never noticed.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #23 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

True, that.

post #24 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewyboy View Post

The don't make that, they sponsor it 1wink.gif

They probably make the engine which was a big hurdle for them because Indy rules state that if you want a car running your engine you have to provide your competition with the very same engine and they'd be entitled to use it in their cars.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The Accord is no Bugatti Veyron or Maybach I find them well made, economical, and stylish.

I agree that they are well-made and economical.

post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm quit a fan of Honda's vehicles. The Accord is no Bugatti Veyron or Maybach I find them well made, economical, and stylish.

This is a great day Solipsism! We genuinely agree about something. I drive an Accord and love it. I think the new 2013s are the best looking cars in the class (admittedly that isn't saying a lot).
post #27 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Honda hasn't been in F1 since Brawn (now Mercedes) bought them out before the 2009 season, when they were planning to fold the team. In 2009, Brawn had the best car in F1 (development work done while it was still owned by Honda) and Jenson Button won the driver's title. Timing is everything.

I remember. Honda also left F1 in the early '90's after dominating F1 for many seasons with Mclaren and Senna, ostensibly to work on more fuel efficient cars....I would say toyota kicked their a*s with the Prius! :)

Looking forward to all new Acura NSX! :)

post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

This is probably one of the major product-related reasons why Forstall was fired. Because mapping with turn-by-turn driving directions is so important in the automotive software market. And because you can never completely erase the first impression (especially if it's negative).

Fortunately for Apple, most peoples' first impression of the new Maps is just fine. I've had zero problems with it. Tech weenies who read tech blogs (and quite a few paid astroturfers and paid trolls) made a big deal out of Maps' problems, but the greater consumer market never noticed.

Hah, thanks for reminding me. I was looking for the Stedelijk Museum sunday. Apple Maps actually places two markers for it, both wrong.

I mean, fine. It's just a major tourist point.

Admittedly, they're not very far off, but  it was cold and windy, and I slipped badly on ice due to following the directions of Maps which tremendously annoyed me. yeah, I know, I could have asked around, but what's the point of carrying a mapping software then?

So, I'm not exactly enthused with Apple Maps.

post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Hah, thanks for reminding me. I was looking for the Stedelijk Museum sunday. Apple Maps actually places two markers for it, both wrong.

I mean, fine. It's just a major tourist point.

Admittedly, they're not very far off, but  it was cold and windy, and I slipped badly on ice due to following the directions of Maps which tremendously annoyed me. yeah, I know, I could have asked around, but what's the point of carrying a mapping software then?

So, I'm not exactly enthused with Apple Maps.

Kind of like the day I spent hours, looking for boxes, driving from one U-Haul location to another using Google Maps. The problem was every time I got to the location, there was no U-Haul store there. I wasn't exactly enthused with Google Maps.

There, see how that works, Google Maps sucks too.

post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

This is a great day Solipsism! We genuinely agree about something. I drive an Accord and love it. I think the new 2013s are the best looking cars in the class (admittedly that isn't saying a lot).

Doesn't it feel good to agree with me? You should do it more often.

post #31 of 40

Still no Audi or VW integration? Lame.

Forestall said last year they were part of it, but still nothing doing apparently:  http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/apple-siri-eyes-free/?icid=eng_latest_art

Edited by SpamSandwich - 1/30/13 at 3:28pm

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #32 of 40

Honda and Toyota are like Maytag. Reliable and dependable appliances, but not much soul.

post #33 of 40

Wow, Apple has another break through:  Siri Eyes Free can drive the car for you by commands and your eyes are free to look at anything you want while riding the car.  Isn't that cool? 1cool.gif

post #34 of 40
Dear Ferrari: Y U NO LIKE SIRI?
Eddy Cue: uh...?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Really? How so? My Pilot begs to differ. A friend has an Acura that is both beautiful and dependable. He has some 200k miles on it and counting.

my 2001 acura cl/s has 320,000 miles on it! I' keep her till she drops out from underneath me! Then i'll get one that hooks up to my iPhone!!

Edited by jmc54 - 1/30/13 at 5:56pm
post #36 of 40
Quote:

Good for them. But too bad, 'cos they make the dullest, most uninspired cars in the world.

You are clearly clueless about cars.

post #37 of 40
Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post
You are clearly clueless about cars.

Apparently, because I thought spoilers went out of style in the early '70s. 

Unless there's something under the hood I'm not understanding, I see zero innovation or even anything interesting in the design, operation, and performance of that thing.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #38 of 40
Guys, it says in the title: "The American division of carmaker Honda announced on Wednesday..."
post #39 of 40
Originally Posted by rosed152 View Post
Guys, it says in the title: "The American division of carmaker Honda announced on Wednesday..."

That was specifically edited after it was posted.

post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apparently, because I thought spoilers went out of style in the early '70s. 

Unless there's something under the hood I'm not understanding, I see zero innovation or even anything interesting in the design, operation, and performance of that thing.

Not sure what you referring to when you say "that thing". Type R is the designation given to a range of high performance versions across the Honda model range. Type R's typically have upgraded or unique suspension set ups, highly tuned NA engines developing over 100bhp per litre, and lightened / stiffened chassis. They are road going track cars. Hardly 'boring', and definitely not just Honda's with added spoilers.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • 2013 Honda Accord, Acura RDX & ILX to offer Apple's Siri Eyes Free support
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 2013 Honda Accord, Acura RDX & ILX to offer Apple's Siri Eyes Free support