or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: 'G/F2' touchscreen will make Apple's next 9.7" iPad thinner, lighter
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: 'G/F2' touchscreen will make Apple's next 9.7" iPad thinner, lighter

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
Apple later this year is expected to launch a new 9.7-inch iPad that will become thinner and lighter by using the same touchscreen technology as the iPad mini, according to a new report.

iPad


The details were published on Thursday by DigiTimes, which has a spotty track record but has been known to receive advance word of Apple's potential product plans from component suppliers. Like the current iPad mini, the next-generation 9.7-inch iPad will reportedly feature what is known as "G/F2 (DITO) thin-film type" touchscreen technology.

Switching to a G/F2 touchscreen will allow the fifth-generation iPad to be thinner and lighter than the current fourth-generation model, which uses a glass-on-glass touchscreen assembly.

Apple's alleged plans to use "DITO" technology in the next iPad is said to signal that the company believes it has "more adequate supply." Thursday's report indicated that Apple is likely to choose G/F2 technology over a "one-glass-solution," or OGS.

Apple has reportedly tapped Japan's Nitto for thin-film materials and Nissha Printing for touchscreen modules; while Taiwan's TPK will handle lamination; and LG Display and Sharp will reportedly supply display panels. Together, they are expected to be able to supply as many as 5 million units per month.

Adding support to the DigiTimes report is the fact that analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities reported late last year that Apple would switch the touchscreen technology on its next iPad to G/F2. Kuo said that Apple plans to "dramatically lower the eight and thickness" of its 9.7-inch iPad in a hardware refresh set for this year.

While reports stemming from unnamed sources out of Apple's supply chain are questionable, Kuo has a respectable track record in predicting Apple's future product plans.

Apple's anticipated iPad update is not expected to arrive until later this year, as just this week the company gave an unexpected update to the current fourth-generation model in the form of a new high-capacity 128-gigabyte model. The new high-end iPad will go on sale next Tuesday and will cost $799 for the Wi-Fi-only model, and $929 for a cellular-capable variety.
post #2 of 36
G/F2? DITO? DIGITIMES? GTFO!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #3 of 36

*phew* Thought it would be fatter, heavier.

 

I guess the display really is the last possible place to squeeze thickness out of these devices. Unless, of course, we start stacking PCBs and making them thinner, making more room for the battery… but then we have to deal with the board's components melting each other.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #4 of 36
I was just about to say "Awesome", but then read the first line- Digitimes- and stopped.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #5 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

*phew* Thought it would be fatter, heavier.

Get ready for those that complain about it getting thinner and that they'd rather have the battery life.  I wish Apple would release a 7" thick iPad with battery life that can last 14 days for video and 3 years standby just to see if those fools would buy it.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #6 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

*phew* Thought it would be fatter, heavier.

 

I guess the display really is the last possible place to squeeze thickness out of these devices. Unless, of course, we start stacking PCBs and making them thinner, making more room for the battery… but then we have to deal with the board's components melting each other.

 

Actually the display is the first place to look to squeeze thickness.  Most of the weight and thickness is the battery and for example IGZO panels can save up to 80% power, so thinner batteries can be used.

 

If I understand this correctly, the could use both DITO touch and IGZO panels for optimal performance. I like the mention of Sharp in there, they are the ones owning IGZO. Another interesting thing about IGZO is you could put a solar panel behind it and have a device that could be charge by ambiant light.


Edited by herbapou - 1/31/13 at 9:47am
post #7 of 36
DITO plus IGZO?

DITO instead of IGZO?

C'mon you journalists, make some phone calls.

Ok, maybe you're not journalists.

And what's with the knee-jerk DigiTimes comments? At least they give you something to chew on, and they get SOME things right. Be grateful for the crumbs you have. It's a slow news period. Do some research on IGZO vs. DITO. Sheesh.
post #8 of 36
Some people may mock further thickness/weight reduction, but I certainly wouldn't. I think every mm and every gram is critical, so that these things can be used in the largest amount of situations feasible, especially so that they can be held for long periods of time with little effort, which in many industries would be required. ie. hospitals etc. After getting used to the iPad mini, the iPad feels like a complete beast weight wise- a full sized iPad with a weight close to the mini would be incredible.
post #9 of 36
The only saving grace of this rumor is that KGI Securities Ming-Chi Kuo has said the same thing. No on trust Digitimes anymore. Not that Digitimes is releasing faulty information but rather their reports cannot faithfully be linked to shipping product. I'm sure a lot of what they get wind of is prototype testing.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Some people may mock further thickness/weight reduction, but I certainly wouldn't. I think every mm and every gram is critical, so that these things can be used in the largest amount of situations feasible, especially so that they can be held for long periods of time with little effort, which in many industries would be required. ie. hospitals etc. After getting used to the iPad mini, the iPad feels like a complete beast weight wise- a full sized iPad with a weight close to the mini would be incredible.

 

Agree.  I'll be replacing my iPad 3 with either the new iPad mini or the iPad 5 this year.  Depends on retina display and weight.  If I can get the iPad 5 but with a slimmer and less hefty design, I'll go with the full size. If not and the Mini has retina, then I'll go that route.

 

But really, in my perfect dream, the iPad mini with retina display is $329 and I buy 2 of those instead of the full size.

post #11 of 36

If this is in addition to the IGZO technology, then great and even the mini might be thinner next time.  If it's instead of IGZO this is bad news.  

post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


The details were published on Thursday by DigiTimes, which has a spotty track record ...


AI, you insult the word "spotty" when used in the same sentence with "DigiTimes".

post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Get ready for those that complain about it getting thinner and that they'd rather have the battery life.  I wish Apple would release a 7" thick iPad with battery life that can last 14 days for video and 3 years standby just to see if those fools would buy it.

an iPad 5 with the current thickness using all the components people are talking about, and all the extra space for battery, so that I can have a 20 hour battery?

 

I would buy it.

post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

 

Agree.  I'll be replacing my iPad 3 with either the new iPad mini or the iPad 5 this year.  Depends on retina display and weight.  If I can get the iPad 5 but with a slimmer and less hefty design, I'll go with the full size. If not and the Mini has retina, then I'll go that route.

 

But really, in my perfect dream, the iPad mini with retina display is $329 and I buy 2 of those instead of the full size.

I agree with your reasoning on waiting....but after that, I think the iPad mini is the future! :) Poor MS, wrong again! I.e., size/physical keyboards/full-on OS! :)

post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

If this is in addition to the IGZO technology, then great and even the mini might be thinner next time.  If it's instead of IGZO this is bad news.  

 

 

imo DITO is a layer above the panel so both can be used, but flaneur comments makes me wonder now. The mini use DITO on top of silicon LCD's, why not DITO on top of a Indium gallium zinc oxide LCD?

 

IGZO is a panel tech and DITO is a touch tech, unless mr Flaneur knows better I dont see why you cant used both?

 

IF the only ipad 5 improvement is putting the ipad mini touch above the current LCD and change the GPU it makes me wonder WTF are they doing at Apple? That would be a very unimpressive incremental upgrade.  Where are the carbon fiber cases? Where are new panels tech?  To charge a premium you need to be cutting edge, not lagging the market.


Edited by herbapou - 1/31/13 at 10:20am
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

*phew* Thought it would be fatter, heavier.

I like it, when your sense of humor shows through! This comment made me smile! :)

post #17 of 36

If anyone is going to make a full-size tablet thinner...it will be Apple. Plastics vs. aluminum. Apple wins!:)

post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I agree with your reasoning on waiting....but after that, I think the iPad mini is the future! :) Poor MS, wrong again! I.e., size/physical keyboards/full-on OS! :)

 

The MS Surface is actually a great product for the individual who is thinking "What my tablet needs is an OS that takes up half the available space."

 

/s

post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


AI, you insult the word "spotty" when used in the same sentence with "DigiTimes".

 

Yeah.  Technically, "spotty" means something with the odd mark on it, DigiTimes is more like "heavily stained." 

post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

 

 

imo DITO is a layer above the panel so both can be used, but flaneur comments makes me wonder now. The mini use DITO on top of silicon LCD's, why not DITO on top of a Indium gallium zinc oxide LCD?

 

IGZO is a panel tech and DITO is a touch tech, unless mr Flaneur knows better I dont see why you cant used both?

 

Well, even though I've blocked flaneur, he/she is totally correct.  

 

The point is why write an article without doing the tiny bit of research necessary to clarify this crucial point?  

post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

 

Agree.  I'll be replacing my iPad 3 with either the new iPad mini or the iPad 5 this year.  Depends on retina display and weight.  If I can get the iPad 5 but with a slimmer and less hefty design, I'll go with the full size. If not and the Mini has retina, then I'll go that route.

 

But really, in my perfect dream, the iPad mini with retina display is $329 and I buy 2 of those instead of the full size.

 

My ideal iPad would be the full sized one, with less bezel, and weight/thickness like the mini. I sold my iPad 3rd gen for the mini, and I do miss the retina display as well as larger size, not to mention some touch targets are just a bit too small for my liking. However, I wouldnt trade the weight for anything. 

post #22 of 36

I do believe we're not going to see a retina iPad mini. It'd just mean a lot fewer people buying the full iPad which would hurt AAPL's profit further, no matter how much lighter the full iPad could become. For casual use (which is the majority of sales in consumer mkt), iPad mini is a better size.

 

I really think we'd see the full iPad refresh much sooner than Oct'13, AAPL just can't afford waiting that long to get a thinner/lighter iPad out. We'll see it in July the latest, probably as sooner as March (yes March because this quarter's earning would be relatively 'horrible' without any new products)

post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post


imo DITO is a layer above the panel so both can be used, but flaneur comments makes me wonder now. The mini use DITO on top of silicon LCD's, why not DITO on top of a Indium gallium zinc oxide LCD?

IGZO is a panel tech and DITO is a touch tech, unless mr Flaneur knows better I dont see why you cant used both?

No, I don't know any better, and that's a good way to look at it, touch vs. the panel material.

My only point was, there was hope that IGZO is going to be the key development this year that will make the mini retina possible and the 10-inch lighter and smaller.

Then out of the blue there is this DITO story which was true but not followed up on for the mini. But not a word from Mr. Oliver of any link or non-link between the two screen techs. And nothing but railing against DigiTimes from the commenters, no discussion of the story at all.

Maybe i'm expecting too much from this site. At least you, herbapou, come across with a good point.
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

 

The MS Surface is actually a great product for the individual who is thinking "What my tablet needs is an OS that takes up half the available space."

 

/s

Right! :)

post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

I do believe we're not going to see a retina iPad mini. It'd just mean a lot fewer people buying the full iPad which would hurt AAPL's profit further, no matter how much lighter the full iPad could become. For casual use (which is the majority of sales in consumer mkt), iPad mini is a better size.

I really think we'd see the full iPad refresh much sooner than Oct'13, AAPL just can't afford waiting that long to get a thinner/lighter iPad out. We'll see it in July the latest, probably as sooner as March (yes March because this quarter's earning would be relatively 'horrible' without any new products)

But . . . but, Tim said "We're not afraid of cannibalization," we welcome it because it drives people into the Mac ecosystem, or words to that effect.

So many people, including uber fans like Gruber and Arment, etc., think the mini is the real iPad, they'd be crazy not to make a higher-pixel one. So, sorry to disagree on that point.

And maybe that's part of why their guidance is low for the next quarters. Mini is low-margin, rolling out IGZO is going to be more expensive.
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65C816 View Post

an iPad 5 with the current thickness using all the components people are talking about, and all the extra space for battery, so that I can have a 20 hour battery?

 

I would buy it.

 

If you don't care about thickness and heft, an external battery pack is the solution for you. Apple should continue making the iPad(s) as light and thin as possible, because this actually is what's important and best for most people. A battery life of effectively a day is fine for almost everyone. Such a device that is effortless to hold ought to be the goal. They shouldn't stop until it weighs nothing and is as thin as a sheet of paper, without sacrificing rigidity.

post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Some people may mock further thickness/weight reduction, but I certainly wouldn't.

Which people?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #28 of 36
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
Which people?

 

Well, I'm against anorexia in the modeling industry, but I don't pay too much attention to models, as they don't realistically portray women or the clothing they wear.

 

Guess those are related.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #29 of 36
Isn't the idea that Apple will use a newer, thinner technology for the display in the next generation iPad sort of common sense?
post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post


imo DITO is a layer above the panel so both can be used, but flaneur comments makes me wonder now. The mini use DITO on top of silicon LCD's, why not DITO on top of a Indium gallium zinc oxide LCD?

IGZO is a panel tech and DITO is a touch tech, unless mr Flaneur knows better I dont see why you cant used both?

IF the only ipad 5 improvement is putting the ipad mini touch above the current LCD and change the GPU it makes me wonder WTF are they doing at Apple? That would be a very unimpressive incremental upgrade.  Where are the carbon fiber cases? Where are new panels tech?  To charge a premium you need to be cutting edge, not lagging the market.

Herb, your last new paragraph—calm down. Don't rile up the trolls any more than necessary. 1wink.gif

Anyway, here's an overview of oxide TFT panels like IGZO as the salvation of Japan's LCD industry:

http://www.printedelectronicsworld.com/articles/are-igzo-backplanes-the-answer-for-the-display-industry-00004980.asp?sessionid=1

You are right, IGZO is about the "backplane" of the panels, where the pixels are switched by TFTs (thin film transistors).

So the new screens could be both IGZO backed and DITO "top-layered"—I made that last term up.

Hey AI we're not getting paid to be doing your basic damn legwork here!

Edit: Anyway, the innovation this year is likely to be the huge advntage that IGZO would mean for Apple's portable devices. It could be that this is why Apple and Foxconn have been spending billions on Sharp—to corner this revolutionary technology. That's why we need display expertise around here, so we can start shutting up the short-attention-span trolls who are forever ragging on Apple about their imagined decline in innovation.
Edited by Flaneur - 1/31/13 at 1:52pm
post #31 of 36
Well what is new?
post #32 of 36
The iPad mini does not have that great a resolution. Will the New iPad look bad also?
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by numba1 View Post

The iPad mini does not have that great a resolution. Will the New iPad look bad also?

Will it look bad? No. Will it have the same resolution as the iPad (4) and PPI of the iPhone 5? I doubt it for the next revision.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

 

If you don't care about thickness and heft, an external battery pack is the solution for you. Apple should continue making the iPad(s) as light and thin as possible, because this actually is what's important and best for most people. A battery life of effectively a day is fine for almost everyone. Such a device that is effortless to hold ought to be the goal. They shouldn't stop until it weighs nothing and is as thin as a sheet of paper, without sacrificing rigidity.

Because, of course, we all want to get paper cuts from holding our tablets ;)

post #35 of 36

i just want lighter and more rounded iPad Mini-like edges.  I could care less about thickness or retina.  I like my big 9.7"gen 2.  would not want to go smaller or thinner.  Retina is a luxury i could do without.  the PPI of the iPad 1&2 bothered me at first, but now i sort of forget it's not retina and am just immersed in my iPad experience. one would think...on day one the main two goals of the iPad should be 1) comfortable to hold longer than 10 minutes...so far they still need to improve the ergonomics of the iPad.  The mini is close but just not there yet.  Only thing mini has going for it is weight.  The current iPads have much too sharp edges that sort of dig into your hand after a while.  And 2) weight.  Which really is linked to #1 but the first point is more about ergonomics (how it feels in your hands) rather than mass.  These products are were developed to be used as a primary device...it's about time they start feeling like you could hold one in your hands for up to 8 hours a day.

post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Because, of course, we all want to get paper cuts from holding our tablets ;)

 

By that time, no one will remember what a paper cut was.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Rumor: 'G/F2' touchscreen will make Apple's next 9.7" iPad thinner, lighter
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: 'G/F2' touchscreen will make Apple's next 9.7" iPad thinner, lighter