or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple to cease European Mac Pro sales March 1 due to regulatory requirements

Apple to cease European Mac Pro sales March 1 due to regulatory requirements

post #1 of 162
Sales of Apple's Mac Pro desktop will stop in Europe on March 1 because of new regulatory requirements in the region.

Mac Pro

Apple announced that sales will halt in a month in a letter the company sent to resellers on Thursday, a copy of which was obtained by MacRumors. The company cited Amendment 1 of Regulation IEC 60950-1, but did not explain what in particular about the Mac Pro desktop is in violation.

Halting sales of the Mac Pro won't have much of an effect on Apple's bottom line, as the high-end professional desktop is largely a niche product for the company.

In fact, it's possible that the situation may have no effect at all on customers in Europe, as Apple has already revealed it's planning to update the Mac Pro this year. It's possible that Apple could update its aging desktop ? and subsequently comply with European regulations ? before sales are halted.

However, no timetable has been given for the Mac Pro update, with Apple only indicating that it will arrive sometime this year. Even analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who detailed Apple's planned product roadmap earlier this month, offered no indication as to when the new Mac Pro may arrive.

Apple's full letter provided to resellers on Thursday is included below:

As of March 1, 2013, Apple will no longer sell Mac Pro in EU, EU candidate and EFTA countries because these systems are not compliant with Amendment 1 of regulation IEC 60950-1, Second Edition which becomes effective on this date. Apple resellers can continue to sell any remaining inventory of Mac Pro after March 1.

Apple will take final orders for Mac Pro from resellers up until February 18th for shipment before March 1, 2013.

Countries outside of the EU are not impacted and Mac Pro will continue to be available in those areas.

post #2 of 162
The new Mac Pro - a stack of Mac Minis in the Mac Pro box! 1smile.gif
post #3 of 162

Maybe a power consumption issue?

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #4 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65C816 View Post

A rack like box with hot pluggable CPU/disk modules could be interesting.

post #5 of 162
Agree about the power consumption. Those Mac Pros use almost as much power as a refrigerator and Apple hasn't done anything over the past 6 years to bring the watts down.
post #6 of 162
This doc list the differences between the first and second editions of the IEC 60950-1 standard. Looks like power supply changes and surge protection issues to me.

Search for the word "significant" to find the changes that matter.

http://www.elliottlabs.com/documents/60950_requirements.pdf
post #7 of 162
I would take this to mean the replacement to the current Mac Pro is unlikely to launch in Europe before March 1st otherwise this letter would be moot.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #8 of 162
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
I would take this to mean the replacement to the current Mac Pro is unlikely to launch in Europe before March 1st otherwise this letter would be moot.

Could be made to cover any and all refurb sales after said launch.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #9 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Could be made to cover any and all refurb sales after said launch.

Any pre-purchased items they can sell. Refurbs arrive as Apple has the stock and they could simply not sell any refurbs to 3rd party retailers, which I'm not even sure they do right now.

post #10 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Maybe a power consumption issue?

That's the only thing I can think of too.

It's kind of stupid reason, but the Europeans always have screwy laws too.

Don't go to Italy unless you have a LOT of cash in your pocket to pay for tickets driving a car.  

post #11 of 162
The problem turns out to be that the fans are "unprotected"... but you have to open the case to get at those unprotected fans. Jeez.
post #12 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

The problem turns out to be that the fans are "unprotected"... but you have to open the case to get at those unprotected fans. Jeez.

Jesus, its not like the fans will cut your fingers off if you accidentally stick them in there. When I had my MacPro, I can't recall them spinning very fast to begin with. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #13 of 162

If that's the case, then good for Apple. They're basically saying, "You know absolutely nothing about cooling systems, so we're not going to sacrifice the quality of our device or engineering to meet your uninformed requirement."

post #14 of 162
What sales?

Who's actually buying these things?

I've been dying to buy a new Mac Pro for years but there's o way I'm spending several thousand on such old tech.

How long have thunderbolt ports been out? So much for a 'PRO' machine...
post #15 of 162
Quote:

What's your source on that?

post #16 of 162
Thanks AI for doing your journalistic duty and actually telling us what the problem is.
post #17 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Passing laws to limit power consumption to take some load off an already taxed grid is stupid. Yes, those screwy Europeans. Unlike in the US, Europeans actually stand up to corporate interests. 

post #18 of 162
Quote:

Like going after MS for their illegal practices on webbrowser build in OS and getting €497M from them. And repeating that a few years later. Those screwy Euro laws you mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie View Post

What sales?I've been dying to buy a new Mac Pro for years but there's o way I'm spending several thousand on such old tech.

You forgot to start your post with ' as a hardcore Apple user for the past 35 years it pains me to say'.

If you are dying to buy a Mac Pro then buy a Mac Pro. Pretty simply, really. If you don't need it, then don't.
post #19 of 162
Quote:
IEC 60950 is applicable to mains-powered or battery-powered information technology equipment, including business equipment and associated equipment, with a rated voltage not exceeding 600V

link
post #20 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Passing laws to limit power consumption to take some load off an already taxed grid is stupid. 

Yes, it is stupid and quite totalitarian. Even though the trend in recent years has been towards lower powered CPUs and mobile devices, if somebody wishes to buy a computer that consumes a bit more power, then nobody should be able to come along and tell them that they can't, especially not a bunch of hypocritical weenies in the EU. A Mac Pro should be damn powerful and not be constrained by any ridiculous energy requirements. If I'm laying down thousands of dollars for a Mac Pro, I demand a beast of a machine, and one that is not limited in any way.

If it is a power issue, then Apple should either halt all sales of the Mac Pro to the EU region, as there probably aren't too many pros there anyway. Or Apple can release a lower powered model for the EU region in which half of the cores are disabled. 

post #21 of 162
Passing laws to limit power consumption to take some load off an already taxed grid is stupid.

Why not just build out more power sources?

post #22 of 162
Quote:

Passing laws to limit power consumption to take some load off an already taxed grid is stupid. Yes, those screwy Europeans. Unlike in the US, Europeans actually stand up to corporate interests. 

You mean stand up to American corporate interests.

The Mac Pro is a workstation with workstation power needs.

post #23 of 162
"Apple doesn't care about pro users!" /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #24 of 162

The Europeans will have to use Windows or Linux. The joke is on them.

post #25 of 162

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 5/16/13 at 12:40pm
post #26 of 162
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
Yes, it is stupid and quite totalitarian. Even though the trend in recent years has been towards lower powered CPUs and mobile devices, if somebody wishes to buy a computer that consumes a bit more power, then nobody should be able to come along and tell them that they can't, especially not a bunch of hypocritical weenies in the EU. A Mac Pro should be damn powerful and not be constrained by any ridiculous energy requirements. If I'm laying down thousands of dollars for a Mac Pro, I demand a beast of a machine, and one that is not limited in any way.

If it is a power issue, then Apple should either halt all sales of the Mac Pro to the EU region, as there probably aren't too many pros there anyway. Or Apple can release a lower powered model for the EU region in which half of the cores are disabled. 

It has nothing to do with power.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/?newsid=3423807

It's supposedly a fan thing. The reason I'm confident that it's unrelated to power consumption is that it's not the most power hungry of all workstations. Sandy Bridge E machines are extremely power hungry. Anyway the focus on energy efficiency in electronics is there either way. Mobile devices have been a huge point of growth, and it is a huge factor there.

post #27 of 162
RoHS?
post #28 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

It has nothing to do with power.

It's supposedly a fan thing. The reason I'm confident that it's unrelated to power consumption is that it's not the most power hungry of all workstations. Sandy Bridge E machines are extremely power hungry. Anyway the focus on energy efficiency in electronics is there either way. Mobile devices have been a huge point of growth, and it is a huge factor there.

We can't have anybody touching the fan blades now, can we?lol.gif

If somebody is pro enough to buy a Mac Pro, you'd assume that they were also pro enough to not touch any fan blades. Maybe Apple should also put a warning label on the power contact, do not eat this cord, this cord is not meant for human consumption. Who knows what somebody might think of, without a regulation in place that would have stopped the person from eating the cord.

post #29 of 162

The requirement is for additional pylons.

It does worry me somewhat that Apple may be preparing a push for smaller standard desktop components. They've already shrunk so many existing standards, from sim cards to DisplayPort, DVI, VGA, and the iPod dock. They may be engineering more compact (and costly) versions of PCI, power supply, etc.

[this account has been abandoned]

[this account has been abandoned]

post #30 of 162
Just kill it and bring back the Xserve.
post #31 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

The requirement is for additional pylons.

It does worry me somewhat that Apple may be preparing a push for smaller standard desktop components. They've already shrunk so many existing standards, from sim cards to DisplayPort, DVI, VGA, and the iPod dock. They may be engineering more compact (and costly) versions of PCI, power supply, etc.

I suppose anything is possible but Apple's history with miniaturization is when it's something they can product in droves. The Mac Pro has never been no ever will be that kind product so I don't think we'll see any Apple designed PCIe slots that will result in no 3rd-party components for machine for the next Mac Pro.

I do think it ail finally get a redesign which will include a smaller, more power efficient power supply and the removal of both of the optical drives. I think we'll still see 3.5" drives but we may get mSATA on the mother board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

How is that a better alternative for those that would buy a Mac Pro.

post #32 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How is that a better alternative for those that would buy a Mac Pro.

Easier to use as cluster nodes to power stuff that has real computational needs. For everything else, the Retina MacBook Pros are just as good thanks to Thunderbolt.
post #33 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/155739/apple-to-cease-european-mac-pro-sales-march-1-due-to-regulatory-requirements#post_2269108"]We can't have anybody touching the fan blades now, can we?lol.gif

Can I s..t on it¿

What's next?

Really. As far as I know the fan hasn't changed, and even if the law did this no more for resellers seems baloney. But maybe Marvin can help out here?

PS Interesting Mac Pro thread over here
post #34 of 162

Computer fans don't hurt you anyway. One way to check they're on (if they're out of sight) is just to jam your finger in there. It will catch on your finger and stop, and when you remove your finger it will start again. Harmless. I mean, I wouldn't do it with an aircraft propellor :)

post #35 of 162
Quote:

Don't go to Italy unless you have a LOT of cash in your pocket to pay for tickets driving a car.  

Yeah sure. America and basically the rest of non-Europe countries have only wonderful laws that make perfect sense, due to the sense of duty that infuses the lawmakers everywhere else than in Europe.

/s

Europe actually has quite a logical body of law, per country, apart maybe for France which suffers from excessive legislation.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #36 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie 
Really. As far as I know the fan hasn't changed, and even if the law did this no more for resellers seems baloney. But maybe Marvin can help out here?

I was going to suggest it might have been banned due to small statured politicians claiming expenses on it as a second home but the link posted above details the problem:

"At issue are the large fans within the Mac Pro. Since they are unprotected, it would be possible to touch the fan blades.
According to Apple, the new requirements necessitate fan guards and some increased protection on the ports on the electrical system."

So the good news is it's getting a redesign and Mac Pros are probably going to get pretty cheap in Europe around March 1st.
post #37 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

"At issue are the large fans within the Mac Pro. Since they are unprotected, it would be possible to touch the fan blades.
According to Apple, the new requirements necessitate fan guards and some increased protection on the ports on the electrical system."

So the good news is it's getting a redesign and Mac Pros are probably going to get pretty cheap in Europe around March 1st.

Ah, good to see you post.

I don't get it, how are the fans unprotected? The case is the protection, no? I've never tried to boot it up with the side panel off, don't think you can, but then again there aren't any kids around a Mac Pro in pro environments, are there?

I for one hope they stick to the same design. The outer one that is, the inside gets redesigned almost every time. Which not that many people know or see, but ok.
post #38 of 162
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Since they are unprotected, it would be possible to touch the fan blades.

Uh oh! If I disassemble the cooling unit on my graphics card, there's a fan in there. A BARE FAN. I could touch it. This is horrible.

All fans must be fully encased in a single piece of molecularly-rebonded translucent plastic, just to be safe.

post #39 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65C816 View Post

Given that the Mac Mini is somewhat rackable and the Pro is not by any easy means I think we'll end up with something more like a triple decker Mac Mini box. The two extra levels will have removable back plates to facilitate adding RAM, graphics cards etc to a system run by a Fusion drive type system. Thunderbolt will be leveraged for adding additional drives, with perhaps even Apple made hard drives with the same enclosure for both HD based drives or SSD ones. And perhaps a thunderbolt connecting SuperDrive (just to avoid having to have an adapter dongle).

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #40 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Why?

It's a legit question. What is so unique about the Xserve, that can't be done with any existing system, that makes it so needed to bring it back.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple to cease European Mac Pro sales March 1 due to regulatory requirements