or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple TV may start carrying HBO shows in 2013

Apple TV may start carrying HBO shows in 2013

post #1 of 60
Apple is reportedly in talks with HBO to carry the cable content provider's shows on the Apple TV through the "HBO Go" app, with service said to start in the first half of this year.

HBO Go
HBO's Go service. | Source: HBO

According to people familiar with the negotiations, Apple plans to roll out the HBO Go app on its set-top streaming device by mid-2013, reports Bloomberg.

If the two companies reach an agreement, the launch of HBO's service would be the first Apple TV app to require pay-TV authentication. While Apple's device has a few subscription-based apps like Hulu Plus and Netflix, HBO Go would be the first offering from a major cable provider.

From what little is known about the supposed deal, HBO subscribers who also own an Apple TV will be able to access over 600 hours of on-demand films and television shows, though the exact nature of the content was not divulged. In its online iteration, HBO Go offers a range of movies, original TV series and special content like behind the scenes footage.

The internet-based HBO Go is already available to iTunes users as a universal iOS app, meaning any iPhone, iPad or iPod touch can take advantage of the service.

Apple's so-called "hobby" has become the topic of much discussion as of late, with a new model expected to launch imminently after the FCC outed specs for the unannounced device earlier this week. Apple CEO Tim Cook said in the company's quarterly conference call last week that some two million Apple TVs were sold over the quarter ending in December, a 60 percent increase from a year ago.

Most recently, a new device identifier was discovered in the latest Apple TV software update, which brought enhanced iCloud integration and the ability to connect a Bluetooth keyboard.
post #2 of 60
one would need to be able to sign up for a "HBO Go" ONLY subscription right on the Apple TV, like with the Hulu app and the Netflix app.
post #3 of 60
Isn't HBO Go already available through iOS?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #4 of 60
Does that include Apple TV in the UK.
post #5 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yes it is. And it's on OS X also.

post #6 of 60

I don't think it allows AirPlay, for whatever magical reason.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #7 of 60
Quote:

Yup, For a couple years now.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/05/03/hbo-go-for-ios-lets-you-play-over-1400-programs-from-just-about/

melior diabolus quem scies
post #8 of 60
I can't imagine what leverage Apple would have in a deal with HBO. Promise not to make any of their own original programming?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #9 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I can't imagine what leverage Apple would have in a deal with HBO. Promise not to make any of their own original programming?

My son is streaming it via his Xbox over FiOS. He's also got Epix delivered the same way. Good move on MS part.

EDIT: I see it's also on GoogleTV (which we don't have). Kinda surprised it wasn't already on AppleTV1confused.gif

Edited by Gatorguy - 1/31/13 at 4:10pm
post #10 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas040 View Post

one would need to be able to sign up for a "HBO Go" ONLY subscription right on the Apple TV, like with the Hulu app and the Netflix app.

There is no HBO Go only subscription.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #11 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Maybe that's what Apple is trying to get them to agree to.

post #12 of 60
Quote:

Now you can watch season 2 of GoT
post #13 of 60
Quote:

That would be a surprising turn of events. There are quite a few online petitions asking HBO for a subscription based service.
post #14 of 60

I just don't understand HBO's position on this. Obviously I'm not alone. But why, why, why would they not want me to pay them to watch HBO shows online? 

post #15 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't think it allows AirPlay, for whatever magical reason.

Correct. I'm able to get the audio to work but not the video. Fairly poor way to get my Bill Maher fix.
post #16 of 60
Quote:

In the US there's not yet, but there is HBO Nordic, which is subscription and which recently launched.

post #17 of 60
Quote:

I have an HBO Go only subscription. It costs me a cup of Starbucks here and there. Sharing friends are good to have ;-)

But yes, you are correct.
post #18 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Correct. I'm able to get the audio to work but not the video. Fairly poor way to get my Bill Maher fix.

It's not quite the same without the facial expressions.
post #19 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/155745/apple-tv-may-start-carrying-hbo-shows-in-2013#post_2269259"]In the US there's not yet, but there is HBO Nordic, which is subscription and which recently launched.

HD programming is only available on Samsung SmartTVs, and they only get SD on anything else.

http://www.arcticstartup.com/2013/01/08/hbo-nordics-underwhelms-early-adopters
post #20 of 60
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, this all falls under the category of "meh".

Now, if Apple and HBO could come together to swing a "stand-alone" HBO GO service on ATV, then Apple (and HBO) would rule the universe.

They would RULE the FRICKN UNIVERSE. And that would only be the start.

post #21 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

I just don't understand HBO's position on this. Obviously I'm not alone. But why, why, why would they not want me to pay them to watch HBO shows online? 

HBO is a major part of expensive cable packages. Cable operators undoubtedly pay them a lot not to offer HBO Go separately online.
post #22 of 60

Gee, Im so excited.  Can't wait to not watch it.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #23 of 60
I'll tell ya, my better half and me have been pretty much an Apple TV-only family for the past year or so. Streaming Netflix for the bulk, more recent movies from iTunes for the rest (with a brief trial into Hulu, which we later dumped due to commercials and no closed-caption). Watching regular TV (such as football games using our digital antenna) is downright painful, with all of the commercials. We'd never go back to cable or satellite.
post #24 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Gee, Im so excited.  Can't wait to not watch it.

Do you not watch Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones man?
post #25 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

I'll tell ya, my better half and me have been pretty much an Apple TV-only family for the past year or so. Streaming Netflix for the bulk, more recent movies from iTunes for the rest (with a brief trial into Hulu, which we later dumped due to commercials and no closed-caption). Watching regular TV (such as football games using our digital antenna) is downright painful, with all of the commercials. We'd never go back to cable or satellite.

Somebody has to pay for free sporting events.
post #26 of 60

Apple is going about this backwards.  Build an App store for AppleTV and they would already have HBO Go and much more content, for the same reason they already have it on the iPad.

post #27 of 60
If we very able to subscribe to HBOGO for a monthly fee without a major cable contract that would be the first real threat to the cable monopoly. This would be a great day for consumers.
We will just have to wait and see....
post #28 of 60

Maybe Apple will find a way to get a subscription only HBO (and Cinemax??) Go on the Apple TV. Would be great if so.

Otherwise, all is becomes is a replacement for a cable box. Like the Watch ESPN App on XBox. I get ESPN 360 on it only, but if I was a Verizon FiOS TV Subscriber, I would get ESPN, ESPN 2, etc as well. But ONLY if I was ALSO a Verizon FiOS Internet customer. And connected to my Verizon FiOS Internet Modem.

In other words, I could use my XBox, connected to the same TV my FiOS cable box is connected to, in my home, with my XBox connected to my FiOS Internet Modem to watch the same channels I could on my cable box.  I fail to see the point in this.

My overall theory? This is the first stage. As content providers, (I'll use Disney as an example, as they have the Watch ESPN, Watch Disney Channel, Watch Disney XD, Watch Disney Junior apps currently, and rumored other channels such as Watch ABC Family on the way) get more comfortable with the Internet distribution method, I believe they will begin to offer subscriptions directly to consumers. Cut out the Cable TV providers. At some point, and every Cable/Internet/Phone provider (Comcast, Charter, Verizon) know this, they will be only a pipe to our house, like the water department or electric company. They will be providing us with bandwidth, and the infrastructure, and we will be paying Disney directly for access to their content anywhere we are, on any device we want.

It is going to take a while, but it is coming. 

Maybe a premium movie channel, such as HBO, is in more of a position to start this, as their revenue essentially does rely directly on consumers.

post #29 of 60

in norway, denmark and sweden there is ... http://www.hbonordic.dk

post #30 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas040 View Post

in norway, denmark and sweden there is ... http://www.hbonordic.dk

And it sucks. http://www.arcticstartup.com/2013/01/08/hbo-nordics-underwhelms-early-adopters
post #31 of 60
Quote:

HD programming is only available on Samsung SmartTVs, and they only get SD on anything else.

http://www.arcticstartup.com/2013/01/08/hbo-nordics-underwhelms-early-adopters

Then that obviously sucks and it sounds like a real dumb decision.

post #32 of 60
Quote:

Quote:

Seems like if anybody could sew-up a deal like this, it would be Apple.

It really would be the "start" of a revolution. And HBO wouldn't look too bad for being a part of that revolution.

Here's hoping.

post #33 of 60

You know, since the FiOS App for iPad came out recently, I have actually been watching cable TV now.  I don't normally watch much TV.  I can already watch HBO on the FiOS app and HBO Go.

This deal will mainly be to complement cable packages that don't have HBO or that are not allowed to include it in their iOS app.

I am looking forward to dumping my set top box for an AppleTV hopefully an iCloud DVR and SIRI integration.

post #34 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

You know, since the FiOS App for iPad came out recently, I have actually been watching cable TV now.  I don't normally watch much TV.  I can already watch HBO on the FiOS app and HBO Go.

This deal will mainly be to complement cable packages that don't have HBO or that are not allowed to include it in their iOS app.

I am looking forward to dumping my set top box for an AppleTV hopefully an iCloud DVR and SIRI integration.
DVR?! I don't think so. That's an obsolete technology invented for the old TV channel paradigm playing shows on a schedule. We have streaming video now. Watch what you want when you want.

Now if only Apple could get shows in iTunes when they are aired instead of hours later. No I don't want to watch new episodes of Big Bang Theory the next day at 5am. Ugh
post #35 of 60
Quote:

Do you not watch Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones man?

Honestly I never watch TV.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #36 of 60
To get HBO Go you need to be subscribing to HBO through your cable provider. Which means you already get HBO and you probably have a DVR to record HBO, so what is the big deal? Pointless and useless.
post #37 of 60
Honestly, I am starting to get seriously unimpressed by the rubbish quality of the journalists on sites like AppleInsider who seem to be unaware that their audience is worldwide. It is not only US citizens who have access to the internet - that's the great thing about it. Just re-read this article and look at how it should have been re-worded by an intelligent journalist for a worldwide audience. HBO Go is NOT available outside the USA, at least not at present.
The truth is behind you
The truth is behind you
post #38 of 60
The only way this makes huge waves is if you can subscribe to it outside of needing a cable subscription...
post #39 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

To get HBO Go you need to be subscribing to HBO through your cable provider. Which means you already get HBO and you probably have a DVR to record HBO, so what is the big deal? Pointless and useless.

Why do you think that you need cable service to watch video? .

you can watch it when you travel and don't have access to cable.

you can watch it in a room not wired for cable

if they allow you to subscribe that way, you can watch it without having cable/satellite TV at all.

Also, on demand video is 100x better than using DVR where you have to know in advance you want to record it and nave to manage the free space on the DVR.

post #40 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandail View Post

Why do you think that you need cable service to watch video? .

you can watch it when you travel and don't have access to cable.

you can watch it in a room not wired for cable

if they allow you to subscribe that way, you can watch it without having cable/satellite TV at all.

Also, on demand video is 100x better than using DVR where you have to know in advance you want to record it and nave to manage the free space on the DVR.

To get something like HBO now, you usually have to get a package including other channels that you don't want.  So being able to get just what you want from Apple would be great.  Perhaps Apple can offer packaged deals.  Surely Apple will go after more than HBO.

Note also that a modern DVR does not have to function anything like existing DVRs.

How many US Cable TV Apps exist for iOS today?  (Not to mention content providers and international cable TVs and content providers.)

Comcast,

TimeWarner Cable,

Cox TV,

Verizon FiOS, 

AT&T U-Verse,

CableVision,

Charter Cable,

New England Cable,

Direct TV,

Dish TV,

They are all there and ready to go.

I think the Apple TV revolution is about to begin and really shake up the industry.

Time will tell.

Edited by AppleSauce007 - 2/1/13 at 2:28am
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple TV may start carrying HBO shows in 2013