or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung pokes fun at Apple lawsuits in Super Bowl teaser ad

Samsung pokes fun at Apple lawsuits in Super Bowl teaser ad - Page 2

post #41 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Amazing how quickly Samsung brings out the trolls.  Some of that $12B in advertising is being used for astroturfing no doubt. 1biggrin.gif

If it were up to me, anybody who finds that ad to be funny would be banned for life from this site. Luckily for those posers, it's not up to me.1smile.gif

post #42 of 186
Now this is funny.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #43 of 186
Funny, I am sure most of their design meetings went the same way.
post #44 of 186

I don't see how this can be connected to Apple at all. Everybody is suing everybody.

post #45 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Ironically the "shushing" is s copy of Dr Evil's mannerisms in the scene with Scott.

and the original is....

Scott Evil: It's no hassle...
Dr. Evil: Sh!
Scott Evil: But...
Scott Evil: I'm...
Scott Evil: All I'm say...
Scott Evil: There gonna get a...
Scott Evil: I'm...
Scott Evil: I'm just...
Scott Evil: Would...
Dr. Evil: Sh!... Knock-knock.
Scott Evil: Who's there?
Scott Evil: But...
Dr. Evil: Let me tell you a little story about a man named Sh! Sh! even before you start. That was a pre-emptive "sh!" Now, I have a whole bag of "sh!" with your name on it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118655/quotes?qt=qt0367860
post #46 of 186

I think all this BS is backfiring.  I will not buy anything Samsung or Korean now.  Used to deal with them 30 years ago seems that nothing has changed, maybe too many sea slugs messes the brain up

First rule of sales, don't knock the competition because it comes over as a cheap and makes your products look inferior, which by the way they are lol

post #47 of 186
Samsung must be in trouble if they are spending money on stuff like this. I mean, it's one thing to poke fun at people waiting in a line if you can show that your product does something that theirs doesn't, but this doesn't really draw attention to any reason to use their product...it's really kind of lame. Superbowl ads are very expensive, what a waste of money.
post #48 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I agree but it also has nothing to do with any Samsung product, oh except for the Galaxy Note 2 that's facing away from the camera.

Agreed! Its just funny....

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #49 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Agreed! Its just funny....

Yes it is but that's a lot of money to spend just to be funny.
post #50 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordon Eagan View Post

Samsung must be in trouble if they are spending money on stuff like this. I mean, it's one thing to poke fun at people waiting in a line if you can show that your product does something that theirs doesn't, but this doesn't really draw attention to any reason to use their product...it's really kind of lame. Superbowl ads are very expensive, what a waste of money.

They're not in trouble but I think it's a squandered opportunity to show millions upon millions of people what their devices can do.
post #51 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They're not in trouble but I think it's a squandered opportunity to show millions upon millions of people what their devices can do.

Not that I would compare this Samsung ad with the 1984 Apple ad in any other way except to say that ad also didn't show what the Macintosh could do.

Sadly for them, though, this teaser doesn't make me think of Samsung after seeing it. I'll have to wait to see the entire ad to know if that changes.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #52 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

Don't know what is the funnier: AI inventing Apple jabs in this Super Bowl ad where I fail to see any, or the usual people here believing so.
post #53 of 186
I thought the ad spot was more of a slight to the NFL than it was to Apple.

I watched the video before I read the article and the first thing I thought was "Better call Saul" Odenkirk was indeed channeling Saul in that commercial.
post #54 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

A poke at Apple? That's a stretch.

I thought the ad was jabbing the NFL. Like when the NFL sued fan sites for mentioning their teams and using team logos.

Yep. You can't say "Super Bowl", use team names, and any description of the game is the property of the NFL... I'm amazed that fans can talk about football with each other anymore. But... I guess that's somehow an Apple slam?

If it's a teaser maybe they actually do make fun of Apple elsewhere in the ad, but this clip certainly didn't.

post #55 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Milli Vanilli.

Please add URLs when you quote obscure people...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #56 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Pretty stupid.

Obviously, there's nothing about their phone that's good enough to talk about in a commercial so they have to make something dumb like this.

Of course, they failed to mention that the jury ordered them to pay over $1,000,000,000 for their blatant copying.

It's not stupid. And is it objective to say there is nothing good enough about their phone?

Here's why it's not stupid and is in fact clever - The ad is not targeting heavily Apple-biased folks like you. There are people who will never buy Apple. There are people who are not sure. So when the second group sees the Samsung ad and talks to the first group, how do you think they will react?

Objectivity.

Objectivity.

Objectivity.

Try it. You might like it.

post #57 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman2 View Post

I think all this BS is backfiring.  I will not buy anything Samsung or Korean now.  Used to deal with them 30 years ago seems that nothing has changed, maybe too many sea slugs messes the brain up

First rule of sales, don't knock the competition because it comes over as a cheap and makes your products look inferior, which by the way they are lol

Then don't buy the iPhone, or a Mac, or iPad - chock full of Samsung goodies. You're screwed. LOL!

And to expand your ignorance about Samsung to the whole nation of South Korea, what does that say about you?

post #58 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

It's not stupid. And is it objective to say there is nothing good enough about their phone?

Here's why it's not stupid and is in fact clever - The ad is not targeting heavily Apple-biased folks like you. There are people who will never buy Apple. There are people who are not sure. So when the second group sees the Samsung ad and talks to the first group, how do you think they will react?

Objectivity.

Objectivity.

Objectivity.

Try it. You might like it.

I accept that there are people who would never buy Apple products.

Now, please explain how this ad would make them want to buy Samsung's products.

Oh, and btw, I never said there was nothing good about Samsung's phones. I said that the fact that they don't even mention the phone in the ad suggests that THEY think so.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #59 of 186
Quote:

If it were up to me, anybody who finds that ad to be funny would be banned for life from this site. Luckily for those posers, it's not up to me.1smile.gif

So objectivity is not allowed?

post #60 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Exactly......this has NOTHING to do with Apple....

That's never stopped AndroidInsider before.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #61 of 186
Quote:

And to expand your ignorance about Samsung to the whole nation of South Korea, what does that say about you?

Samsung is responsible for 20% of South Korea's economy.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/07/whoa-samsung-is-responsible-for-20-of-south-koreas-economy/260552/

post #62 of 186
Quit crying. It's not aimed at Apple.
post #63 of 186
Whatever this ad is about, I doubt 90% of consumers are going to "get it".
post #64 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordon Eagan View Post

This isn't their Superbowl ad. It's just an on-line teaser to promote the 2-minute long one that will air during the game. If you're going to spend that kind of big money they'd be foolish not to do a bit of relatively inexpensive promotion ahead of time.

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #65 of 186
Quote:

I'm a black or white kind of guy.

post #66 of 186
Quote:

Objectivity?

What objective facts are in this ad?
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #67 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Objectivity?

What objective facts are in this ad?

WTF???

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #68 of 186
I fail to see how this relate to Apple in anyway... So it is me or AI who has cognitive troubles?
post #69 of 186
I actually like this. Unlike the other ads, they don't mock people. Also I don't think it's attacking apple.
post #70 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Funny.lol.gif

Even though Milli Vanilli was guilty of perpetrating a musical fraud, I do believe that they were more original than Samsung is when it comes to their phones and tablets.

And speaking of the super bowl, not that I really care, but I wonder if Beyonce is going to lip sync again, like she did during the inauguration? That is a pretty lame thing to do.

post #71 of 186
a teaser for the new Samsung four, generating buzz, being the new cool by hiring the "lawyer" from Breaking Bad, trying to make Apple look like yesterdays news. Bigger is better, and Samsung is driving that as hard as they can. and by market share, not doing too bad. Apple better realize that one phone, one form factor, one size, doesn't fit everyone.
post #72 of 186

Personally, I think interpreting this ad as a hit on Apple borders on paranoid insanity.    IMO, it's much more of a hit on the insanity of the ability of sports organizations to protect their trademarks to an absurd extent - like the British bakery who was made by lawyers for the Olympics to take down a store display of three intersecting pretzels.    

If they had made fun of the ability of someone to patent, copyright or trademark rectangles or curved corners, it would have been about Apple.   But this ad wasn't.   Apple fans need to be less sensitive.    Samsung has certainly had no reservations directly attacking Apple in their ad of people waiting on line for a new phone, so if they wanted to attack Apple, they certainly could have done so more directly.

post #73 of 186
Most iPhone / iPad users are too busy enjoying their iOS devices and iTunes content to give a rats ass about Samsung's self-conscious commercial.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #74 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Quote:

Milli Vanilli.

Milli Vanilli doesn't really have anything to say... Either!

Edited by Dick Applebaum - 2/1/13 at 8:16am
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #75 of 186
Some of you take things (and yourselves) too seriously. I don't think the ad was aimed at Apple...and so what if it was? Will it honestly change anything? Does it really affect your life in any meaningful way?
post #76 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Milli Vanilli doesn't really have anything to say.

50% of Milli Vanilli definitely doesn't have anything to say, because I believe that one half of Milli Vanilli committed suicide a long time ago.

post #77 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Personally, I think interpreting this ad as a hit on Apple borders on paranoid insanity.    IMO, it's much more of a hit on the insanity of the ability of sports organizations to protect their trademarks to an absurd extent - like the British bakery who was made by lawyers for the Olympics to take down a store display of three intersecting pretzels.    

If they had made fun of the ability of someone to patent, copyright or trademark rectangles or curved corners, it would have been about Apple.   But this ad wasn't.   Apple fans need to be less sensitive.    Samsung has certainly had no reservations directly attacking Apple in their ad of people waiting on line for a new phone, so if they wanted to attack Apple, they certainly could have done so more directly.

I agree that it's not about Apple.

That doesn't make it any less stupid.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #78 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/155748/samsung-pokes-fun-at-apple-lawsuits-in-super-bowl-teaser-ad/40#post_2269585"]50% of Milli Vanilli definitely doesn't have anything to say, because I believe that one half of Milli Vanilli committed suicide a long time ago.

Get it right, he 'accidentally' took too many pills and drank too much.
post #79 of 186
Couple Things:

1. Those of you saying this is a waste of a superbowl Ad... it's not the superbowl Ad. It is, as the title says, a teaser for the superbowl Ad.

2. I'm a huge apple fan. Own ALL apple products. I find this ad to be hilarious and effective. It out apples apple. It, along with their other ads, is doing what the "I'm a Mac Ads" did to Microsoft. Samsung is slowly painting Apple as the new Microsoft. Old, not funny, not cutting edge, not innovative. I know this single ad doesn't do that, but all of their ads in total are chipping away at the Apple image of being popular, new, and up to date. iOS is stale. The iPhone is small and stale. They are creating that with their ads.

3. If you don't think this is a shot at Apple... you're crazy!
post #80 of 186
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Milli Vanilli doesn't really have anything to say.

50% of Milli Vanilli definitely doesn't have anything to say, because I believe that one half of Milli Vanilli committed suicide a long time ago.

I did not know that.  The realtors who sold our house in 1989 – 1990 were big Milli Vanilli fans...

I never appreciated their taste and got sick of hearing about them  -- while watching the price of our house (and the market) tank.  

I was not surprised to hear they were phonies... and thought good riddance...

No personal slight to anyone intended.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung pokes fun at Apple lawsuits in Super Bowl teaser ad