or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › inability to download vids

inability to download vids

post #1 of 9

I own a 24" iMac running Snow Leopard.  I am unable to download most vids or movies and I don't know why.  Do I need a codec?  The free codecs are only temporary.  I use QT or VLC to play vids  but currently, I can only download perhaps one out of 2,000.  Any ideas?

post #2 of 9

Welcome.

Define "vids". Where? What? Why?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #3 of 9

Vids - short clips from current movies, updated vids on older clips.  Not a movie watcher online but do want to keep up to date on movies at theaters.  Also, the occasional adult clip and vids from places such as bestgore.com, etc....

post #4 of 9
Originally Posted by keel View Post
Vids - short clips from current movies, updated vids on older clips.  Not a movie watcher online but do want to keep up to date on movies at theaters.

This doesn't tell us anything. What filetypes are they, in what are you trying to play them, etc.

Also, the occasional adult clip and vids from places such as bestgore.com, etc....

Dear heavens… So… FLVs, I assume…

post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by keel View Post

Vids - short clips from current movies, updated vids on older clips.  Not a movie watcher online but do want to keep up to date on movies at theaters.  Also, the occasional adult clip and vids from places such as bestgore.com, etc....

Do you have problems with sites that are less revolting?

post #6 of 9

hahahaa....yes, I have problems with every site.  99% of the vids on a website I can not download.  People have been telling me that sites are now blocking people from downloading for free and forcing you to buy their own player system before you're allowed to download their vids.  All the vids are either mpg, avi or wmv files.  However, if this is true, then all these websites changed their policies in the last few months as I was able to download anything n everything prior to that timeframe.  People have suggested that I have virus's that are preventing me from downloading.  I've downloaded a number of free virus-checking software and they find quite a few corrupted files, trojans and a number of decompression bombs but none have impacted the daily operation of my Mac other than what I think may or may not be a slowing-down of operations.  The free software will not let me remove the virus's.  Can you recommend a good quality piece of software?  If my issue isn't virus's, than my issue is one of two things - 1. I'm missing some codec or codecs.  2.  The websites have begun blocking downloads without the purchase of their specific video player system.  I primarily am using Quicktime 10.0 to view any vids.  In my system prefs, I have and use the following prefs:  Deja Vu, DivX 9, Flash Player, flip4mac 2.4.4.2 & Perian 1.2.3.

post #7 of 9
You don't have a virus. You're just being blocked from doing it.

On-machine codecs won't help you download from websites.

Get rid of flip4mac and update Perian if it isn't already all the way up. Grab HandBrake to convert anything that isn't MP4. That's, of course, After you manage to download the files in the first place.

Anyway, at this point, unless Apple brings back the Activity window, I don't see a way to download files that the site doesn't explicitly allow or that a Safari extension doesn't open up.

post #8 of 9

thank-you for the advice and willingness to work with me.

post #9 of 9

Hey, no probs. I miss being able to flip over to the Activity window and grab a video stream, myself. 

In terms of playback as a file on your machine, all you need is QuickTime to play and HandBrake to convert everything. If you want to spend a little less time converting, QuickTime with the last version of Perian (it's discontinued and already starting to break in the newest versions of OS X) and HandBrake, or just vanilla QuickTime with VLC (which I hate, myself). 

Between the players QuickTime and VLC, there's no file they can't handle. 

If you have the ClickToFlash extension, that will change over Flash-based files on many (not all) websites to their MP4 equivalents, and then downloading them is just a right-click (on the video itself) away.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › inability to download vids