or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple exec John Couch meets with Turkish president over possible $4.5B iPad buy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple exec John Couch meets with Turkish president over possible $4.5B iPad buy

post #1 of 82
Thread Starter 
Apple's Vice President of Education John Couch on Friday sat down with Turkish President Abdullah G?l in a meeting covering a possible education initiative worth $4.5 billion, as well as the incorrect layout of the Turkish "F-keyboard."

Turkey Meeting
Apple VP John Couch (right) discusses an education initiative with Turkish President Abdullah G?l (left).
Source: President of Turkey's official website


According to Turkish blog Ima Dergisi, Couch was joined by other Apple executives in his meeting with President G?l, which reportedly focused on an educational initiative to put up to 15 million iPads in the hands of Turkey's young students.

Worth some $4.5 billion, the tablet program has Apple pushing for a contract, but a deal has yet to be reached as the parties negotiate further. While not the main topic of discussion, the layout of the Turkish "F-keyboard," which has a number of keys set in the wrong position, was also mentioned.

Most recently, Turkey was introduced to the iPhone 5 on Dec. 14, less than two weeks after Apple launched the iTunes Music Store in the region as part of a 56-country rollout.
post #2 of 82

Please don't turn this political. I don't even know how it could—is Turkey even in the news beyond its border with Syria?—but really, there's not going to be much, if any, political reason for this.


While not the main topic of discussion, the layout of the Turkish "F-keyboard," which has a number of keys set in the wrong position, was also mentioned.

 

Uh, no, it's their positioning, not the "wrong" position… It's no more "wrong" than AZERTY or the Japanese keyboard.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #3 of 82
Cha cha Ching

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

Reply

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

Reply
post #4 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Uh, no, it's their positioning, not the "wrong" position… It's no more "wrong" than AZERTY or the Japanese keyboard.

I think you misunderstand, Apple accidentally swapped the position of two keys on the Turkish F keyboard from where they're supposed to be. It's a bug.
post #5 of 82
Originally Posted by konqerror View Post
I think you misunderstand, Apple accidentally swapped the position of two keys on the Turkish F keyboard from where they're supposed to be. It's a bug.

 

Ah! Thanks for the correction. If we see a quick 6.1.1 update that fixes this, we'll know this sale went through.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #6 of 82
Apple will have little chance of winning this contract. It will go to the highest bidder and that will be Microsoft. Microsoft has never been shy about spending money and this will be an excellent project to get those ZunePads some quick market share. All Apple wants to do is accumulate reserve cash as a safety net for when all carrier subsidies disappear. Microsoft doesn't need a safety net because Windows OS and Microsoft Office will never go away. A Microsoft tablet venture will only add to sales of both.
post #7 of 82

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 7/5/13 at 3:12pm
post #8 of 82

John Couch is a dedicated company man -- survived both eras of Steve Jobs, despite Steve actively killing his baby (the Lisa).  I was completely surprised by the fact that he's still there -- good for him!

post #9 of 82
I think these figures must be wrong somehow, $4.5bn?
post #10 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Apple will have little chance of winning this contract. It will go to the highest bidder and that will be Microsoft. Microsoft has never been shy about spending money and this will be an excellent project to get those ZunePads some quick market share. All Apple wants to do is accumulate reserve cash as a safety net for when all carrier subsidies disappear. Microsoft doesn't need a safety net because Windows OS and Microsoft Office will never go away. A Microsoft tablet venture will only add to sales of both.

 

Who said they want the surface? Turkey may have sense.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #11 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyDude View Post

John Couch is a dedicated company man -- survived both eras of Steve Jobs, despite Steve actively killing his baby (the Lisa).  I was completely surprised by the fact that he's still there -- good for him!

 

You could say he's sitting comfortably. lol.gif

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #12 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I think these figures must be wrong somehow, $4.5bn?

 

You do know roughly what an iPad costs, right? The figure would be pretty accurate. Case in point, worldwide in the Christmas quarter just gone, Apple sold 23 million iPads, total. This single order from Turkey would be for 15 million iPads. Why else do you think Apple's running after the order? Sounds tooooooo good to be true if you ask me, we'll see.


Edited by Ireland - 2/1/13 at 4:49pm
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #13 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

 

Sounds to good to be true if you ask me, we'll see.

Yup, I agree.

post #14 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

 

You do know roughly what an iPad costs, right? The figure would be pretty accurate. Case in point, worldwide in the Christmas quarter just gone, Apple sold 23 million iPads, total. This single order from Turkey would be for 15 million iPads. Why else do you think Apple's running after the order? Sounds to good to be true if you ask me, we'll see.


Also most likely these will not be the latest iPad. Maybe iPad2.

post #15 of 82
Of course, for Apple to get the order, they'll have to discount off of list price.

So the headlines will ignore the $4.5 B in added revenue (not to mention the added credibility) and solely mention that Apple's margins fell in that quarter.

Therefore, the stock price will drop.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #16 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Of course, for Apple to get the order, they'll have to discount off of list price.

So the headlines will ignore the $4.5 B in added revenue (not to mention the added credibility) and solely mention that Apple's margins fell in that quarter.

Therefore, the stock price will drop.

 

Doesn't bother me. I've already lost all my money. I'm getting out of the stock game for good. Life lesson.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #17 of 82

This is how a Turkish website is characterizing the meetings with Apple: Turkey doesn't want to be treated as a second-class country anymore. 

http://www.worldbulletin.net/?aType=haber&ArticleID=102678

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #18 of 82
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
This is how a Turkish website is characterizing the meetings with Apple: Turkey doesn't want to be treated as a second-class country anymore. 

 

O~f course… 

 

Look, if they want in on the first run, buy more product.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #19 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyDude View Post

John Couch is a dedicated company man -- survived both eras of Steve Jobs, despite Steve actively killing his baby (the Lisa).  I was completely surprised by the fact that he's still there -- good for him!

 

Yeah!  John looks pretty damn good in that picture -- he is my age, mas o menos.  I thought he retired long ago, and was surprised to learn he is VP of Education at Apple.

 

John is a very gregarious person and if anyone can close a deal such as this, it is he...

 

Go John! Go Apple!

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #20 of 82

I'm assuming that they're meeting with other companies also, looking into all of the options, and if this is a bidding war, then Apple will probably not and should not win. If one customer buys 15 million iPads, then great, but Apple shouldn't give too much of a discount. If it comes down to money and budget in the end, with Turkey trying to cheap out and save a buck or two, then Apple will probably not win. Let Turkey's students end up with some Android crap instead, it'll be their loss. They'll be dumber because of it.

 

It makes no difference to me if Apple has an extra four Billion in their cash pile or not. It's not like their cash pile is helping the stock in any way. 

post #21 of 82
For a $4.5 billion purchase I would want Tim Cook to be present.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #22 of 82
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It makes no difference to me if Apple has an extra four Billion in their cash pile or not. It's not like their cash pile is helping the stock in any way. 

 

The extra marketshare will, regardless if the analysts want it to or not. 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #23 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

This is how a Turkish website is characterizing the meetings with Apple: Turkey doesn't want to be treated as a second-class country anymore. 

http://www.worldbulletin.net/?aType=haber&ArticleID=102678

They are a second rate country, at least as far as Apple is concerned. That's why stuff there is released later than in other more important markets.

post #24 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

The extra marketshare will, regardless if the analysts want it to or not. 

You're right, the extra worldwide marketshare would be a positive, though I'm sure that certain people will find some negatives to pull out of the of story also, if it were to happen. 

post #25 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm assuming that they're meeting with other companies also, looking into all of the options, and if this is a bidding war, then Apple will probably not and should not win. If one customer buys 15 million iPads, then great, but Apple shouldn't give too much of a discount. If it comes down to money and budget in the end, with Turkey trying to cheap out and save a buck or two, then Apple will probably not win. Let Turkey's students end up with some Android crap instead, it'll be their loss. They'll be dumber because of it.

 

It makes no difference to me if Apple has an extra four Billion in their cash pile or not. It's not like their cash pile is helping the stock in any way. 

 

I wouldn't minimize Apple's (the iPad's) chances here.   The Turkish president met with Tim Cook in Cupertino.   They say they do not want to be treated as "second class" citizens -- why would they initiate an educational program with "second class" tablets?   There are lots of incentives that Apple can offer including price -- the competition can offer only price.  

 

John Couch knows how to close this kind of deal!

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #26 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

 

Doesn't bother me. I've already lost all my money. I'm getting out of the stock game for good. Life lesson.

That obviously sucks, but how could you lose all of your money on AAPL? It's not like the stock went to zero. Two ways I could see losing money on AAPL is if somebody was playing with risky options or by using a lot of margin, but not by just holding common stock without margin.

post #27 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

You can file this one under HOPING THE NATO ADMISSIONS COMISSION IS WATCHING

You mean EU? Turkey has been NATO since 1952.
post #28 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

 

I wouldn't minimize Apple's (the iPad's) chances here.   The Turkish president met with Tim Cook in Cupertino.   They say they do not want to be treated as "second class" citizens -- why would they initiate an educational program with "second class" tablets?   There are lots of incentives that Apple can offer including price -- the competition can offer only price.

 

John Couch knows how to close this kind of deal!

Yes, I hope that you are right. Obviously a deal has more components to it than just price, unless somebody has the mindset of a Fandroid of course, and in that world price reigns supreme, above everything else. Hopefully the Turkish President doesn't have the mindset of a Fandroid.

post #29 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

For a $4.5 billion purchase I would want Tim Cook to be present.

 

Tim and Phil will attend the Turkey Apple Store opening and the Turkey Research Facility opening


Edited by Dick Applebaum - 2/1/13 at 6:18pm
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #30 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyDude View Post

John Couch is a dedicated company man -- survived both eras of Steve Jobs, despite Steve actively killing his baby (the Lisa).  I was completely surprised by the fact that he's still there -- good for him!


I was surprised as well to see John Couch's name.

 

As it is, Couch left Apple in 1984 and then came back in 2002 as VP of Education.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #31 of 82

Yeah, Apple should drop the opportunity to win the complete youth of an emerging country of 75 million people to save some percent margin!
 

post #32 of 82

Haha. Yes I was going to point out that QWERTY is not the only correct layout! Turks actually use two variants: a modified Q-layout and the F-layout.

 

A piece of random personal information: I was working for Unisys in Istanbul in 1990-1993 and writing mainly banking apps for Windows 3.0 & 3.1 in Borland Pascal with a bit of assembly thrown in for good measure.

 

At that time Microsoft only supported the modified Q-layout Turkish keyboard. I convinced my boss to let me buy the Microsoft DDK and then hacked it about to support the F-layout. I then wrote a small bios checksum app that would make it quit gracefully if it ran on anything other than a Unisys PC and then we gave it away to our clients for free.

 

At that time Microsoft in Turkey was only a representative office and they told me several times at local IT fairs that they had tried to reverse engineer the driver to make it work on other PCs! They caught up about a year later, but Unisys definitely enjoyed the head start :)

 

EDITED: I took out a particular phrase, lest I offend someone; it was used amongst British programmers for when their programs behaved badly and core'd. But having looked up it's origins, I can see that it's a bit dodgy :)


Edited by binex - 2/1/13 at 7:36pm
post #33 of 82

WOW!  If this deal comes about and enriches Apple's coffers by $4.5B, obviously it will mean a 10%+ drop in Apple stock price. </s>

/

/

/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #34 of 82
15 million iPads? Holy fucking hell that is a big deal if it goes through. That's almost how much Apple sold globally in a quarter.
post #35 of 82

 

Interesting story - I'd love to hear more details.

post #36 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by binex View Post

Haha. Yes I was going to point out that QWERTY is not the only correct layout! Turks actually use two variants: a modified Q-layout and the F-layout.

A piece of random personal information: I was working for Unisys in Istanbul in 1990-1993 and writing mainly banking apps for Windows 3.0 & 3.1 in Borland Pascal with a bit of assembly thrown in for good measure.

At that time Microsoft only supported the modified Q-layout Turkish keyboard. I convinced my boss to let me buy the Microsoft DDK and then hacked it about to support the F-layout. I then wrote a small bios checksum app that would make it quit gracefully if it ran on anything other than a Unisys PC and then we gave it away to our clients for free.

At that time Microsoft in Turkey was only a representative office and they told me several times at local IT fairs that they had tried to reverse engineer the driver to make it work on other PCs! They caught up about a year later, but Unisys definitely enjoyed the head start 1smile.gif

EDITED: I took out a particular phrase, lest I offend someone; it was used amongst British programmers for when their programs behaved badly and core'd. But having looked up it's origins, I can see that it's a bit dodgy 1smile.gif

I miss Borland's compilers. They were a pleasure to use. Interesting anecdote about the Unisys-specific coding you did 1smile.gif
post #37 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalM View Post

Yeah, Apple should drop the opportunity to win the complete youth of an emerging country of 75 million people to save some percent margin!
 

 

If I was Apple, I'd be willing to sell at cost for that kind of deal if it came to that- but obviously it won't come to that. Even if they don't make a dollar selling all those iPads, the net positives would still be absolutely massive. 

post #38 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

<...> Microsoft doesn't need a safety net because Windows OS and Microsoft Office will never go away. A Microsoft tablet venture will only add to sales of both.

 

Microsoft is invincible !

 

 

post #39 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

 

You do know roughly what an iPad costs, right? The figure would be pretty accurate. Case in point, worldwide in the Christmas quarter just gone, Apple sold 23 million iPads, total. This single order from Turkey would be for 15 million iPads. Why else do you think Apple's running after the order? Sounds tooooooo good to be true if you ask me, we'll see.

 

Yeah, especially if it is an all at once deal or broken into 2 or 3 deliveries then I think it works out to be real nice at $300/iPad (depending on what model they get of course). When you are talking those kind of dollars without all the headaches involved with selling them one at a time I suspect $300/iPad is a very reasonable markup, not to mention it is well over 60% of last quarters sales with no one else buying one (and that seems rather doubtful).

 

The one small negative would be what it would do to the pipeline if in fact it is an all at once deal.

 

FYI: How many competitors do you think have their best knee pads in their briefcase along with the airline tickets to Turkey.

post #40 of 82
Turkey is a big user of Apples WebObjects with Project Wonder. They are rolling out this app to all their students. Would make sense that they keep going with the wonder of WO and iPad.

Cheers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple exec John Couch meets with Turkish president over possible $4.5B iPad buy