or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple 'leaving money on the table' by not releasing big-screen iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple 'leaving money on the table' by not releasing big-screen iPhone - Page 4

post #121 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

We see this one a lot. Here's the basic form of the argument: Because something once happened that someone thought wouldn't, anything and everything will happen.

Is that really the argument you want to make?

But you really can't say that it won't either.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #122 of 307
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post
I bet if they do introduce a larger iPhone, it'll cannabalize at least 20% of the current iPhone market…

 

[citation needed]


It won't take lawsuits. It just takes a better product that appeals to the most people it possibly can, at a price that satisfies the market. Easy enough, wouldn't you say?

 

No, it takes lawsuits. Anyone can churn out whatever crap they want and people will pay for it because it's one cent cheaper than the better alternative.


As far as your second comment. That is about as dumb of a reply I can think of. Many of you can't see the forest through the trees, can you?

 

But you agree with what I said, since you don't seem to have any sort of reply or rebuttal.


You'd have to be a fool to think Apple isn't going for marketshare. It just doesn't need said.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #123 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

So limited...

40 million S3, 10 million note 2, 30 million (razr, xperia, One, dna, EVERY SINGLE high end android phone now) costumers Apple lost just because they do not offer big screens.

All these phones lose on everything else, cost the same, but have bigger screens, that's the reason they sell.
Would you lose something if Apple creates another iPhone model?

Stop your non-sense, please. 

And how do you know those could've been Apple customers?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #124 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post


Buahahaha... A niche product is one that doesn't have universal appeal. Last I looked, even though Windows 8 is a bust, it still has nearly 90% of the market, making the Mac a niche product. 

 

Sorry, but not having majority market share doesn't make you a niche product. 10% of anything isn't a niche, nor is raw market share alone the only consideration regarding whether something is a niche product. Macs are not niche products. Apple isn't chasing niches.

post #125 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


But you really can't say that it won't either.

 

Sorry, that's not an argument either.

post #126 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

So limited...

 

40 million S3, 10 million note 2, 30 million (razr, xperia, One, dna, EVERY SINGLE high end android phone now) costumers Apple lost just because they do not offer big screens.

 

All these phones lose on everything else, cost the same, but have bigger screens, that's the reason they sell.

Would you lose something if Apple creates another iPhone model?

 

Stop your non-sense, please. 

Not entirely. The other comment I find most often as to why Android users choose it over iPhone is customizability. You can swap just about everything out from the keyboard to the widgets and icons. Many people like that personalization they can do.

post #127 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

 

Sorry, that's not an argument either.


Why, because it isn't YOUR argument? That was so dumb, I have no idea why you bothered...

post #128 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

 

Sorry, but not having majority market share doesn't make you a niche product. 10% of anything isn't a niche, nor is raw market share alone the only consideration regarding whether something is a niche product. Macs are not niche products. Apple isn't chasing niches.


Stay in denial all you want...

post #129 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

... history repeats itself.

 

I'm pretty sure you're just a troll at this point, but, no, the evidence is in and history does not in fact repeat itself.

post #130 of 307
No1 wants big ass phones .. except a few idiots who would be better off with a android in the first way. I say.. Just leave the current screen size and stop whit the nonsence of the "screen battle"
post #131 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

[citation needed]

 

No, it takes lawsuits. Anyone can churn out whatever crap they want and people will pay for it because it's one cent cheaper than the better alternative.

 

But you agree with what I said, since you don't seem to have any sort of reply or rebuttal.


You'd have to be a fool to think Apple isn't going for marketshare. It just doesn't need said.

Don't need a citation. I was waging a bet, not asserting a fact.

 

Then explain to me how the iPod won out? It wasn't the cheapest. Certainly products from Sandisk and others were cheaper.

 

No, I don't. I think it was so stupid, it didn't require a rebuttal.

post #132 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigod View Post

Apple missed this a year ago.  Now Cook says they have the perfect form factor with the iPhone 5 and have no intention of changing that.  Denial not just a river in egypt.  Apple completely missed the boat here.  If no larger iphone in 2013 they are going to fall even further behind.  If apple does do a larger iphone late this year or next year samsung will already have their S5 and S6 out leaving the slower moving apple further behind.   Sad to see things stall out so fast in Jobs absence.

Look what happen to Apple in the last year, they only had the most profitable calendar year in human history. Such a failure. They have 2/3 rds of the mobile profits and yet they are "falling behind". Gimme a break. Apple will release a 5" iPhone if and when it's ready (and profitable).

Btw, Apple missed out on those net books too.
post #133 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by newrocket View Post

No1 wants big ass phones .. except a few idiots who would be better off with a android in the first way. I say.. Just leave the current screen size and stop whit the nonsence of the "screen battle"


Funny, given the marketshare outside US, the market seems to disagree with you. Android now pummels the iPhone in worldwide marketshare.

post #134 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Sorry, that's not an argument either.

It's not a argument it's the truth.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #135 of 307
Phablets feed the 'bigger is better' croud.. the 'muscle' nerds large move to it because it was the latest.. Then you have those that don't want to carry 2 devices, and merge the two with a phablet.

My issue, updates - Samsung design's a pre-death nail into their products when it comes to updates, they draaaaag their feet as long as possible once it's not the newest device to 'encourage' you to upgrade.. they make money from that, not the OS updates. I've had a iPhone 4 since retail. it's running iOS 6.1 - yea, it doesn't get all features, but it's not the newest. But at least it's up-to-date and secure.

Me, I end up reaching for m tablet anyway. So I figure, stick with what I have.
post #136 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


Look what happen to Apple in the last year, they only had the most profitable calendar year in human history. Such a failure. They have 2/3 rds of the mobile profits and yet they are "falling behind". Gimme a break. Apple will release a 5" iPhone if and when it's ready (and profitable).

Btw, Apple missed out on those net books too.


Hey buddy, GM once had 60% marketshare and was the most profitable car company in the world. Where are they now?

post #137 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

Phablets feed the 'bigger is better' croud.. the 'muscle' nerds large move to it because it was the latest.. Then you have those that don't want to carry 2 devices, and merge the two with a phablet.

My issue, updates - Samsung design's a pre-death nail into their products when it comes to updates, they draaaaag their feet as long as possible once it's not the newest device to 'encourage' you to upgrade.. they make money from that, not the OS updates. I've had a iPhone 4 since retail. it's running iOS 6.1 - yea, it doesn't get all features, but it's not the newest. But at least it's up-to-date and secure.

Me, I end up reaching for m tablet anyway. So I figure, stick with what I have.


And that's why it's popular and legal to install custom ROMs like Cyanogenmod when the phone starts to age. Not an elegant solution, but it works for many of them. Then there's the Nexus route, which is mostly like the iPhone, except its not available on all carriers.

post #138 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post


If apple doesnt have a big screen when my contract expires, i am buying a nexus phone. And i am not alone


I may do the same.

post #139 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

 

 

You beat me to it by 2 minutes :-)  Add call options to the mini and ipad, and boom:  "Problem" solved.

You guys have never actually seen a Nexus 4 or a Galaxy III, have you?  I'm wondering if you've even seen a mini.

post #140 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


It's not a argument it's the truth.

 

Right, because we've seen how dialed in to that you are. lol.gif

post #141 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

But you really can't say that it won't either.

That's a informal fallacy that represents a false dichotomy. He never stated that it won't happen again only that you can't say it will happen again simply because it has happened before.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #142 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post


If apple doesnt have a big screen when my contract expires, i am buying a nexus phone. And i am not alone


I'm a huge apple fan, and I'd much rather have a 5 inch or bigger phone from them, but I wasn't going to hold my breath.  A few months ago I switched to a Galaxy Note 2 and I absolutely love it.  I'm a huge reader, both online and kindle books, and the screen is nearly identical in size to a paper back book and incredibly comfortable to read on.  I don't think it's better...it just suits me very well.

 

I find people criticizing larger screened phones to a bit lazy.  The complaint is almost invariably mingled with the idea that it is too big "for a phone."  I've been saying for two years now that the device in your pocket is not a phone.  It has phone technology, but it isn't a phone.  Less than a year ago I jailbroke my iphone and stuck an app on it that allowed me to view which apps I used the most.  After the first and second month my "phone" app was at number thirteen.  It's even "worse" now - I have the smallest phone call plan available and  I still only talk for a total about about twenty or thirty minutes a month...of my 450 minute plan.  At the top of the list: text messages, email, facebook, zite, kindle, dropbox, google docs, and the like.  After two years of this kind of result (I used both my iphone 4 and 4s the same way) I'm surprised more people haven't really caught on: as much as humans have a disposition to take what they're given, we really ought to stop calling these devices "phones."  Especially if there are twelve other things I do on mine far more often.  Even if my galaxy note 2 was bigger than the beast you had in your kitchen in the eighties and early nineties, can you really say my phone is "too big" for an email browser/composer? Messaging?  Reading magazine-type information?  Reading paperback-sized books?  Sure, I talk on the phone occasionally, but most of my calls last about one or two minutes.  Does anyone really think I am hindered by holding something that is merely one inch longer than what everyone else holds to their ear? 

 

Yeah, we call them phones.  But one could just as easily call it any of the names of the twelve apps I use more than my phone.  And I'd bet anyone I know a hundred dollars their phone app is not in their top three most used apps.  I'll win a lot more money than I lose.  It's not a phone.  It's a mobile device.  Hell...it's literally a Personal Computer.  Calling it a PC makes more technical sense than calling it a phone.  One handed use is nice, but I'm not concerned about how many hands I have to use when I'm standing in line or sitting on a couch browsing the web or reading a book.  Your phone is a PC, folks.  And the perfect size is the one that fits your needs the most. 

post #143 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

 

I’m genuinely curious as to why you want a phone with a bigger display? Everyone I have seen with a large Android device pressed against their heads looks like absolute twats. I can understand wanting a bigger display for content such as games/books/movies etc but then why wouldn’t you just get an iPad?

 

Apple has explained why they went for the 4” display, it’s the biggest they could go and still maintain one handed operation.


I can answer you. What you are calling a "phone" for me it's a pocket computer which happens to be also a communication device. But its first function, for me, is as a computer. My desktop computer had always the biggest screen I could get, or afford. Why? Because I need to work on my computer screen and I want as much information on the screen as possible. That's why I have bought first a 14 inch display, then 15, 21, 24, and finally 27 inch. On my pocket computer I want the same thing. A big screen so I can work comfortably and see as much information as possible but also it should still fit in my pocket so I can have maximum mobility. Why not an iPad? It doesn't fit into my pocket. I want a pocket computer not a bag computer.

post #144 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Calls for Apple to make an iPhone with a larger display around 5 inches diagonally are growing among analysts, who see a big-screen iPhone as a major revenue opportunity.


Fixed that for ya, AI.

iMac 21.5" 2.7 GHz (2011), 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM; iPhone 5c 16GB White; iPod Touch 4G 8GB Black; iPod Touch 2G 8GB
Reply
iMac 21.5" 2.7 GHz (2011), 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM; iPhone 5c 16GB White; iPod Touch 4G 8GB Black; iPod Touch 2G 8GB
Reply
post #145 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

 

I'm pretty sure you're just a troll at this point, but, no, the evidence is in and history does not in fact repeat itself.


No troll at all. You're just someone that lives, breathes, and craps everything Apple and believes it cannot do anything wrong - the hypnotized... That's exactly what makes companies make bad decisions - when they no longer have anyone telling them their ideas aren't perfect. Like I said, I've seen all the ups and downs. I've owned Macs when everyone thought it would just go the way of the dinosaur. I sure hope Apple doesn't begin another tailspin. If they miss market opportunities or fail to refresh their product according to market demands, this will happen. Just think, Blackberry was king and RIM was on top of the world. Then came the announcement of the iPhone... The same thing can happen to any company.

post #146 of 307
Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post
I'm a huge apple fan… but… 

 

Uh… huh.


Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post
You're just someone that lives, breathes, and craps everything Apple and believes it cannot do anything wrong

 

Another falsehood.


If they miss market opportunities or fail to refresh their product according to market demands, this will happen.

 

No, it won't.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #147 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Yes, me too! I have no contract any more and I still have my old iPhone 4, which is perfectly functional by the way. But I can promise you, I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER IPHONE with a 3.5-4 inch screen!!! NEVER!!! Either you give me a 4.7-5.5 inch iPhone or BYE BYE Apple! And don't give me that crap talk about Apple should ignore me bla, bla, bla! Just try to ignore me! Just try it! But you know what? I don't think Tim Cook is that stupid.

 

No, Tim Cook obviously is not stupid enough to ignore YOU. I mean, not YOU. Oh, the horror. I'm sure retaining YOUR business is the top priority of Tim Cook and Apple.  

 

Honestly, I don't think anyone gives a shit what you buy- so stop being so self-righteous, threatening to leave Apple, and just buy whatever you want. Believe it or not, Tim Cook won't lose any sleep over your busying decision, so stop pretending he will. I have nothing against a bigger phone, but your childish attitude is moronic. 

post #148 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post


Hey buddy, GM once had 60% marketshare and was the most profitable car company in the world. Where are they now?

 

Let's see, they used to make Hummers, didn't they?

What happened to that "bigger/better" market?

Booga: "Elon Musk goes for the stars, [Ballmer] installs Windows on a basketball team's computers.  Sounds about right."
Reply
Booga: "Elon Musk goes for the stars, [Ballmer] installs Windows on a basketball team's computers.  Sounds about right."
Reply
post #149 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

 

Let's see, they used to make Hummers, didn't they?

What happened to that "bigger/better" market?


Yeah, that was the reason for their demise... They still make Suburbans. Dumb answer.

post #150 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

No, Tim Cook obviously is not stupid enough to ignore YOU. I mean, not YOU. Oh, the horror. I'm sure retaining YOUR business is the top priority of Tim Cook and Apple.  

 

Honestly, I don't think anyone gives a shit what you buy- so stop being so self-righteous, threatening to leave Apple, and just buy whatever you want. Believe it or not, Tim Cook won't lose any sleep over your busying decision, so stop pretending he will. 


You miss the fact that he's not alone. There are others out there the feel the same. There are Android users that would be iPhone users if they had the option. Glad you're not running a company because you are completely closed off to other ideas. That doesn't work very well too long in business.

post #151 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's a informal fallacy that represents a false dichotomy. He never stated that it won't happen again only that you can't say it will happen again simply because it has happened before.

No he's acting like it never happened before.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #152 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

1/100th? I bet if they do introduce a larger iPhone, it'll cannabalize at least 20% of the current iPhone market, let alone attract another 10's of millions of users. It won't take lawsuits. It just takes a better product that appeals to the most people it possibly can, at a price that satisfies the market. Easy enough, wouldn't you say? Like I said, iPod did it, and it did it with multiple variations - iPod Classic, iPod Nano, iPod Touch, iPod Shuffle. Something for eveyone...

 

As far as your second comment. That is about as dumb of a reply I can think of. Many of you can't see the forest through the trees, can you?


That's right. We can't tell leaves and trees apart.

post #153 of 307
I have been an iPhone user since 2007 as well, and i -almost- switched to a Galaxy SIII or Note II before I upgraded to my iPhone 5. The screen size was the big draw for me and why I almost made the switch, but remained with Apple mainly due to the ecosystem. We have multiple tablets at our house (iPad, Kindle Fires), but I'd really like a larger screen phone to reduce eye strain and allow me to read on it for extended periods without going nuts. I would love a larger screen option for iPhone. The "phonification" of the iPad mini is a great idea, but I believe that the mini is just a bit too large for practical phone use.
post #154 of 307
I don't get why some of you even care if Apple made a bigger phone. Don't buy it, stay with the smaller one, but plenty will definitely buy a bigger one.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #155 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


And how do you know those could've been Apple customers?

Because all these phones lose on every single metric against the iPhone (besides the screen size) and android does not provide a similar user experience. even if it is half of that number, do the math.

post #156 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I don't get why some of you even care if Apple made a bigger phone. Don't buy it, stay with the smaller one, but plenty will definitely buy a bigger one.


Exactly, including me. I love my iPhone, but I want a bigger screen. I see this as a lost opportunity for Apple if they don't do something like this.

post #157 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

No, Tim Cook obviously is not stupid enough to ignore YOU. I mean, not YOU. Oh, the horror. I'm sure retaining YOUR business is the top priority of Tim Cook and Apple.  

 

Honestly, I don't think anyone gives a shit what you buy- so stop being so self-righteous, threatening to leave Apple, and just buy whatever you want. Believe it or not, Tim Cook won't lose any sleep over your busying decision, so stop pretending he will. I have nothing against a bigger phone, but your childish attitude is moronic. 

Are you so close minded to believe I'm just ONE? I can guarantee you that Tim Cook IS losing sleep right now because he chose to ignore me... and the other millions who want a big screen. Look where AAPL is right now. Do you think 450 is low? Just wait until it hits 300!

post #158 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Look what happen to Apple in the last year, they only had the most profitable calendar year in human history. Such a failure. They have 2/3 rds of the mobile profits and yet they are "falling behind". Gimme a break. Apple will release a 5" iPhone if and when it's ready (and profitable).

Btw, Apple missed out on those net books too.

Then what's the 11" MBA? Just an expensive net book.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #159 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I don't get why some of you even care if Apple made a bigger phone. Don't buy it, stay with the smaller one, but plenty will definitely buy a bigger one.

I valid reason might be they are shareholders and think it would be a bad direction for the company but I haven't heard anyone say that simply don't want it to exist.

I have heard many people say it needs to exist because there are Android-based phones that are bigger. I don't think Apple matching the size of an Android-based device simply because it exists makes any sense.

I certainly have no problem with it and have argued as to how Apple could do it based on their history of the iPad mini. I don't think I'll be interested in it (just like I'm not interested in the iPad mini, but for different reasons) but I'm perfectly fine if it exists… and I assume most others are, too, so long as Apple is doing because they see a market desire they can capitalized on not simply because a competitor vendor did it.
Edited by SolipsismX - 2/5/13 at 11:13am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #160 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Because all these phones lose on every single metric against the iPhone (besides the screen size) and android does not provide a similar user experience. even if it is half of that number, do the math.

Most people don't take metrics into consideration. Some people just don't choose Apple devices. There are plenty that chose Android before the big screens came out.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple 'leaving money on the table' by not releasing big-screen iPhone