or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple 'leaving money on the table' by not releasing big-screen iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple 'leaving money on the table' by not releasing big-screen iPhone - Page 5

post #161 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


No he's acting like it never happened before.

 

No, SolipsismX was correct in his analysis. You are incorrect in yours.

post #162 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Most people don't take metrics into consideration. Some people just don't choose Apple devices. There are plenty that chose Android before the big screens came out.


Most of those were because Apple wasn't on their chosen provider. Let's face it, had Verizon not launched the "Droid" campaign, Android wouldn't be where it is. They only did that because the didn't carry the iPhone and needed to compete within the space. Android had been around for sometime before the campaign, but mostly ignored. That all changed when the commercials hit the air with that now famous "droid" sound.

post #163 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post


Hey buddy, GM once had 60% marketshare and was the most profitable car company in the world. Where are they now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post


Yeah, that was the reason for their demise... They still make Suburbans. Dumb answer.

GM lost focus and tried to produce a car for everyone. What's the diff between a Chevy, Pontiac, Saturn sedan? It used a shotgun approach and almost went under.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Then what's the 11" MBA? Just an expensive net book.

Are you seriously trying to compare an MBA to a Netbook? Net books are under powered, cheap pieces of junk with low battery life and cramped keyboard and screen.
post #164 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post


I can answer you. What you are calling a "phone" for me it's a pocket computer which happens to be also a communication device. But its first function, for me, is as a computer. My desktop computer had always the biggest screen I could get, or afford. Why? Because I need to work on my computer screen and I want as much information on the screen as possible. That's why I have bought first a 14 inch display, then 15, 21, 24, and finally 27 inch. On my pocket computer I want the same thing. A big screen so I can work comfortably and see as much information as possible but also it should still fit in my pocket so I can have maximum mobility. Why not an iPad? It doesn't fit into my pocket. I want a pocket computer not a bag computer.

It amazes me that people don't get your point.  And that there are adults who literally base most of their argument on the idea that "other people might think you look stupid" is the quintessence of cognitive underdevelopment.  Really?  You're a grown man and you feel passionately about your choice of phone precisely because you are concerned about whether other people think you look silly using something else?  Okay. 

post #165 of 307
These analysts contradict themselves by saying Apple is about "high-end leadership" but then saying Apple should release a 5" display with much lower pixel density than current high-end leading phones (to retain current resolution specs).

These analysts also misrepresent Apple's true brand traits. Apple has always been a company that believes in %u2013 as Steve Jobs frequently quoted %u2013 "skating to where the puck will be, not where it is." So they skated to where would be, skated away with the puck leaving everyone in their dust, scored several goals with the puck in an empty net. Finally the goalie and other players caught up with them. Wasting resources with a done puck is not the Apple way. I believe Apple thinks the touchscreen smartphone phenom is done %u2013 in terms of being revolutionary. So now they're resetting for skating to the next puck.

I think these analyst are very useful to Apple as examples of folly that Tim Cook can show to the board. Just keep their advice running on a ticker in the boardroom and make decisions based on doing the opposite.
post #166 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Because all these phones lose on every single metric against the iPhone (besides the screen size) and android does not provide a similar user experience. even if it is half of that number, do the math.

 

It's hilarious that you believe every smartphone buyer is making a researched, rational decision based on knowledgeable consideration of all the 'metrics', and user experience, and that making a bigger iPhone will obviously refute this. It's a fact that carriers are heavily pushing Android phones. It has nothing to do with the size, but many other financial considerations. Carriers aren't pushing and recommending the S3 because of the size. 

post #167 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post


I have an iPhone 5 and I think its 4-inch Retina is great. The problem with Apples strategy though is that they produce one phone a year and assume it will be great for everyone, which is not the case. I work with low-tech people all the time, and many older folks have trouble typing on a small screen, hitting the touch targets, and just can't see the text. Not to mention bigger screens can be great for web browsing, videos, etc.

The line of reason, i supppose, is that there's no reason they can't produce a 4-incher and a 5-incher simultaneously. There are 5 different iPod form factors being sold at any given time, and it's not like Apple found THE perfect ipod form factor. Why not keep the iPhone 5 size for those who like it, and sell an iPhone+ for those who want it?

I think the iPod and MacBook path is the direction they'll be heading.

 

Hmmm. With an IGZO screen they may be able to get voice radios inside a iPad mini with a somewhat smaller battery.... 

post #168 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post



GM lost focus and tried to produce a car for everyone. What's the diff between a Chevy, Pontiac, Saturn sedan? It used a shotgun approach and almost went under.
Are you seriously trying to compare an MBA to a Netbook? Net books are under powered, cheap pieces of junk with low battery life and cramped keyboard and screen.


No, GM stopped responding the the demands of the market. They began producing cars people didn't want to buy. They were being eaten alive by their competition. GM had long been making a car for everyone, even when it was doing good. There were Novas for cheap transportation to Corvettes and Cadillacs and everything in between. They got caught up in bean counting, and the days where a Cadillac was substantially differentiated from a Chevy were long gone. They were badge engineered cars that used substandard materials. In its heyday, Earl wouldn't let the Pontiac design team even look at what the other teams were doing, and the same for all the other design teams. They had to design their own products with their own identity.

 

The MBA was Apples attempt at the netbook market, IMO. Jobs declared that Apple didn't do junk, so a small form factor that wasn't junk at a reasonable price was developed...the MBA. What a nice alternative it is...

post #169 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Because all these phones lose on every single metric against the iPhone (besides the screen size) and android does not provide a similar user experience. even if it is half of that number, do the math.

It's hilarious that you believe every smartphone buyer is making a researched, rational decision based on knowledgeable consideration of all the 'metrics', and user experience, and that making a bigger iPhone will obviously refute this. It's a fact that carriers are heavily pushing Android phones. It has nothing to do with the size, but many other financial considerations. Carriers aren't pushing and recommending the S3 because of the size. 

That's a very good point!
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #170 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post


If apple doesnt have a big screen when my contract expires, i am buying a nexus phone. And i am not alone

 

And? No one, including Apple is likely to cry because there will always be someone ready to take your place

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #171 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider 
Joining Wu this week in calling for an iPhone with a bigger display was Ben A. Reitzes of Barclays. He believes that sales of "phablets" with screen sizes greater than 5 inches will catapult from 27 million in 2012 to 230 million in 2015.

That's some catapult. Why stop at 230 million though? If they are making up numbers and growth rates, why not 70 trillion? These analysts' projections are below expectations and rather disappointing. I would call on them to improve whatever it is they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider 
He predicts a 5-inch iPhone would offset some of the average selling price declines Apple would see from an anticipated low-cost iPhone for emerging markets.

So the bigger iPhone with higher margins is there to offset the lower margin cheaper iPhone. That's funny how they assume people will pay more for the bigger phone. The cheaper iPhone is really what they're after for the emerging markets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider 
"The iPhone has lost a significant number of sales by buyers either wanting a larger screen or being drawn to how much better the large screens look in stores," he said.

Q1 2013
Samsung Galaxy S3 = 15m
Galaxy Note II = 8m
http://www.techspot.com/news/51294-samsungs-record-quarter-83-billion-profit-63-million-phones-sold.html
Divide by 10 to get actual total sold = 2.3m
iPhones total = 47.8m - if at least half of those are iPhone 5, which is likely = 24m

The iPhone 5 outsold both the S3 and Note II combined last quarter. If Apple had lost customers, Samsung would also have shown an increase in their sales but they didn't. It was around 6m per month for the S3 after launch and is now down to 5m per month.

Newsflash: Samsung sales are dropping, people tired of big clunky phones. Big phones no good for emerging markets where they are weak from hunger and can't hold big phones. Samsung should make their flagship phone 4" to keep up with iPhone demand.
post #172 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Uh… huh.

 

Another falsehood.

 

No, it won't.


Uh...huh..

 

Right back at you.  What on earth was the point of that?  If there was no point, why communicate it?  I think your dander is up about something else and you're taking a swing at the wrong guy for the wrong reason.  My purpose in saying I'm an apple fan is within the same sentence you took it from: I want a large phone...but I want it from Apple because I'm a fan of Apple's products.  Where on earth is the fallacy there?  You're hyper vigilant because you're used to people using their alleged apple fandom to support their criticism of apple.  But that wasn't what I was doing.  Slow down, man.  I don't post a lot, but for the most part I think we're on the same team....except for my enjoying a big screened phone. 


Edited by Sol77 - 2/5/13 at 11:24am
post #173 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie View Post

The phone is fine.  If you want something bigger get a tablet.  Seriously who wants to carry something that big?  I think the iphone 5 is perfect combination of both.

Everyone that owns a Galaxy Note, which I'm seeing more and more of in my profession. Doctors love them because it's easy to look at X-rays and other images. Admins love them because they can display entire documents bad spreadsheets with minimal amounts of scrolling or zooming.

Whether some people want to admit it or not, the market for iPhone-sized displays is becoming saturated. They don't have to replace the entire lineup with larger screens, just give consumers the option.
post #174 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


GM lost focus and tried to produce a car for everyone. What's the diff between a Chevy, Pontiac, Saturn sedan? It used a shotgun approach and almost went under.
Are you seriously trying to compare an MBA to a Netbook? Net books are under powered, cheap pieces of junk with low battery life and cramped keyboard and screen.

Same could be said of the smaller tablets out yet to counteract them Apple made the iPad mini. Doesn't matter how crappy netbooks are the fact was that people were buying them in droves. I believe that the 11" MBA is a netbook done right.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #175 of 307

So these Wall Street clowns and tech press goons whine and complain about Apple not innovating yet every time they give advice to Apple it's basically 'copy Samsung'. 1oyvey.gif  Sure Apple could release a 5" phone but what's innovative about that?  All it is is copying what Android has already done.  If I want a clone of Samsung I'll go buy the real thing.

post #176 of 307
Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post
What on earth was the point of that?

 

If you actually have an argument, you can state it without doing that. 

post #177 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No, SolipsismX
was correct in his analysis. You are incorrect in yours.

Then I don't want to hear you praising if and when Apple makes a bigger phone.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #178 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Then I don't want to hear you praising if and when Apple makes a bigger phone.

 

That doesn't follow either from my criticism of your "arguments"

post #179 of 307

Do these Analysts ever take into account the fact that Samsung spent over $12B last year in marketing/advertising, with a large chunk no doubt spent on the Galaxy brand.  Basically Samsung bought market share and mind share by spending an enormous amount of cash on marketing,  Will they be able to continue to do that year after year?  And at some point will consumers get sick of all Samsung all the time?  Over saturation isn't necessarily a good thing.

post #180 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

If you actually have an argument, you can state it without doing that. 


You need to relax, man. Read that sentence again a few times.  It isn't what you think it is...you're fighting the good fight and then you punched me because I looked like the guys you're fighting.  Let's try it again: I want a bigger phone.  Because I love Apple, I want it from them.  But they don't make it.  Ergo, I have to go elsewhere.  You think I'm trying to use a claim of being an apple fan to criticize apple, but what I'm saying is that I want a big phone...and I'd prefer apple to make it.  You got hooked on the "but" thinking that I was criticizing them.  I wasn't.  They just don't make the phone I want.  My saying that was pertinent because I was explaining why I went elsewhere.  It's a completely legitimate point.  You've got your dander up about the wrong guy.

post #181 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post


I'm a huge apple fan, and I'd much rather have a 5 inch or bigger phone from them, but I wasn't going to hold my breath.  A few months ago I switched to a Galaxy Note 2 and I absolutely love it.  I'm a huge reader, both online and kindle books, and the screen is nearly identical in size to a paper back book and incredibly comfortable to read on.  I don't think it's better...it just suits me very well.

 

I find people criticizing larger screened phones to a bit lazy.  The complaint is almost invariably mingled with the idea that it is too big "for a phone."  I've been saying for two years now that the device in your pocket is not a phone.  It has phone technology, but it isn't a phone.  Less than a year ago I jailbroke my iphone and stuck an app on it that allowed me to view which apps I used the most.  After the first and second month my "phone" app was at number thirteen.  It's even "worse" now - I have the smallest phone call plan available and  I still only talk for a total about about twenty or thirty minutes a month...of my 450 minute plan.  At the top of the list: text messages, email, facebook, zite, kindle, dropbox, google docs, and the like.  After two years of this kind of result (I used both my iphone 4 and 4s the same way) I'm surprised more people haven't really caught on: as much as humans have a disposition to take what they're given, we really ought to stop calling these devices "phones."  Especially if there are twelve other things I do on mine far more often.  Even if my galaxy note 2 was bigger than the beast you had in your kitchen in the eighties and early nineties, can you really say my phone is "too big" for an email browser/composer? Messaging?  Reading magazine-type information?  Reading paperback-sized books?  Sure, I talk on the phone occasionally, but most of my calls last about one or two minutes.  Does anyone really think I am hindered by holding something that is merely one inch longer than what everyone else holds to their ear? 

 

Yeah, we call them phones.  But one could just as easily call it any of the names of the twelve apps I use more than my phone.  And I'd bet anyone I know a hundred dollars their phone app is not in their top three most used apps.  I'll win a lot more money than I lose.  It's not a phone.  It's a mobile device.  Hell...it's literally a Personal Computer.  Calling it a PC makes more technical sense than calling it a phone.  One handed use is nice, but I'm not concerned about how many hands I have to use when I'm standing in line or sitting on a couch browsing the web or reading a book.  Your phone is a PC, folks.  And the perfect size is the one that fits your needs the most. 

 

With all due respect, I think you're an extreme fringe case, in terms of using a phone. 20-30 min a month? That's less than a minute a day. Please don't try to draw conclusions as to the direction Apple should go based on those numbers, because I don't know a single person who uses their phone that little. Most of us have friends, family, work, and business calls constantly. Apparently you don't communicate with anyone by phone or have a social/work/family life that requires it - I'm not attacking you, but thats not how most people live. You're a fringe case, and you should aknowledge that, which is why an iPhone being used as a phone is irrelevant to you. To the vast majority, that isn't irrelevant.  The phone app is by far my #1 app, email is second, safari or maps is 3rd, and then everything else. I'm guessing most people follow that rough pattern. Believe it or not, a phone IS still the most important function of these devices. 

post #182 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

That doesn't follow either from my criticism of your "arguments"

Let's settle this once and for all:

Q: Would be upset if Apple made a larger (display) iPhone?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #183 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

These analysts have a good point. Apple is leaving money on the table. In fact, I will go farther. Apple should not only launch a larger screen smartphone, they should launch tablets with graduating sizes: 4.5", 5", 5.5", 6", 6.5", 7", 7.5", (7.85"), 8", 8.5", 9", 9.5" and (9.7"). After all, they have already *copied" Samsung's strategy by launching a small tablet. So why not go all it and copy the Samsung's marketing strategy of covering every half inch from Lilliput to Brobdingnag.

There are people in these forums who claim they will buy an iPhone right now if it had a 5.723" screen. Right. Now.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #184 of 307
What's the point of enlarging the display and keeping the same pixel resolution? Isn't the advantage of a larger screen that more information is displayed? Personally I have no desire for a larger screen but it's obvious that others do. I think Apple's primary problem now is price, not screen size. I saw a Radio Shack commercial last night offering the Galaxy S3 for $99. Apple can't afford to price itself out of the market like it does with personal computers. Sure, Mac sales are up, but they're a drop in the bucket compared to overall PC sales. Apple's recent success is 100% due to the iPhone and iPad. If these devices become too expensive compared to the competition, Apple is done.
post #185 of 307
It's all about sales v cost of production. If Apple thinks they can sell enough oh phablets to recover the cost of setting up a production line they will make phablets. If not they will stick with the iPhone. Fewer products leads to reduced production costs.
post #186 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

And? No one, including Apple is likely to cry because there will always be someone ready to take your place

Shaw Wu would claim the sky is falling and it's the 80s all over again. And AppleInsider would milk it for the forum traffic.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #187 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

With all due respect, I think you're an extreme fringe case, in terms of using a phone. 20-30 min a month? That's less than a minute a day. Please don't try to draw conclusions as to the direction Apple should go based on those numbers, because I don't know a single person who uses their phone that little. Most of us have friends, family, work, and business calls constantly. Apparently you don't communicate with anyone by phone or have a social/work/family life that requires it - I'm not attacking you, but thats not how most people live. You're a fringe case, and you should aknowledge that, which is why an iPhone being used as a phone is irrelevant to you. To the vast majority, that isn't irrelevant.  The phone app is by far my #1 app, email is second, safari or maps is 3rd, and then everything else. I'm guessing most people follow that rough pattern. Believe it or not, a phone IS still the most important function of these devices. 


No disrespect taken, but where did you get the idea that I drew conclusions about what Apple should do?  My entire post was about defending the value of larger size screens...when did I assert that Apple should make them?  What I would like and what Apple should do to be successful are two different things.

 

I have a family.  We don't require phone talks to figure out when to eat dinner.

I'm not a fringe case...but my own numbers are certainly in the minority, yes.

I'm not suggesting that people with families should "get over" having a phone.  Actually, I think I was pretty adamant about people using what works for them.

No need to argue the point - I agree, the phone IS the most important APP on the device...but only because it is the one you don't want to be caught without in an emergency.  I work in tech, and most of the guys I know do not spend significant time on their phones...and they are married, most of them with many children.

I disagree about that rough pattern.

 

Incidentally, we probably both agree that Apple should do just as they have always done...continue to make an awesome phone and not worry about anything else.  I personally want one, but I am not at all making the argument that Apple "ought" to join that market.  I just know I'd be a lot more satisfied with theirs if they did. 

 

Something I want to add to this to clarify my major point is not that the phone is irrelevant.  I would never leave my house without the ability to make phone calls.  My point is that people are doing a lot more on their devices than they were many years ago, and as the computational power and ease with "phones" increases, the legitimacy of arguing that a smaller phone is Necessarily better is decreasing.  I understand if people want one handed devices.  It's convenient.  But with more power and potential, people are using these phones in ways that make having a larger screen a worthwhile investment...even if one compromises one handed use.  I'm not about saying, "it's better."  I'm saying, it's legitimate, and while the phone is arguably the app you most need in ANY pinch, it is the extend of use of one's phone that determines the functionality of a screen size.  A big screen does NOT hinder phone calls.  It DOES enhance a huge range of other activities. 


Edited by Sol77 - 2/5/13 at 11:56am
post #188 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

That doesn't follow either from my criticism of your "arguments"

Nothing at all. I firmly believe my position and you yours. Just don't change your song later.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #189 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

That doesn't follow either from my criticism of your "arguments"

So?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #190 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

 

 

Easy man.  40 isn't old...I'm still mid 30s, I don't want to think of 40 as "old" just yet.

 

Well, 40 may not 'be' old in terms of our lives these days (ask anyone over 40, we don't 'feel' old, mostly!)...but the human body's limitations begin to encroach once you're past the 40 mark, I know because at 44, my optometrist pointed out to me that my eyes were just beginning to lose their ability to refocus up close. She told me that I don't need reading glasses...yet. But, I'm on the verge. True, I'm now 45-1/2 and still without the reading glasses...but I the reality is there. I don't have a problem focusing on my iphone screen or reading the type, but I can understand that for some people it may just be too small to read off of in comfort.

post #191 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

With all due respect, I think you're an extreme fringe case, in terms of using a phone. 20-30 min a month? That's less than a minute a day. Please don't try to draw conclusions as to the direction Apple should go based on those numbers, because I don't know a single person who uses their phone that little. Most of us have friends, family, work, and business calls constantly. Apparently you don't communicate with anyone by phone or have a social/work/family life that requires it - I'm not attacking you, but thats not how most people live. You're a fringe case, and you should aknowledge that, which is why an iPhone being used as a phone is irrelevant to you. To the vast majority, that isn't irrelevant.  The phone app is by far my #1 app, email is second, safari or maps is 3rd, and then everything else. I'm guessing most people follow that rough pattern. Believe it or not, a phone IS still the most important function of these devices. 

It's an interesting question.  My guess is that for most people (In the US at least--what do I know about how people behave in Asia or whatnot), the phone app is NOT the most important aspect of the device.  Personally, I'm like the guy you quoted.  Most days I don't use my iPhone as a phone at all.  I'm in hours of meetings a day and exchange hundreds of emails, so I'm no hermit.  It's just that the mobile phone aspect is not all that important.  Obviously you're on the other "extreme" but I expect that most iPhone owners are somewhere in the middle. 

 

In any case the "how does it look when I hold it to my head" factor is pretty darn silly.  If I'm going to make a call of any length at all, I'll use earphones or the speakerphone feature.  I probably spend 3 minutes a week holding it to my ear.

post #192 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by brulltyme View Post

 

Well, 40 may not 'be' old in terms of our lives these days (ask anyone over 40, we don't 'feel' old, mostly!)...but the human body's limitations begin to encroach once you're past the 40 mark, I know because at 44, my optometrist pointed out to me that my eyes were just beginning to lose their ability to refocus up close. She told me that I don't need reading glasses...yet. But, I'm on the verge. True, I'm now 45-1/2 and still without the reading glasses...but I the reality is there. I don't have a problem focusing on my iphone screen or reading the type, but I can understand that for some people it may just be too small to read off of in comfort.

 

Yep.  As soon as I turned 40 I went from being able to read the microprinting on US currency to not being able to read a newspaper comfortably without reading glasses.  It was almost that abrupt.  My eyes must have had a 40-year warranty.  iPhone EZ Reader edition?

post #193 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

 

Sorry, but not having majority market share doesn't make you a niche product. 10% of anything isn't a niche, nor is raw market share alone the only consideration regarding whether something is a niche product. Macs are not niche products. Apple isn't chasing niches.

 

Not to mention Windows 8 doesn't have 90% of the market. The vast majority of Windows users are non-Windows 8/Win 7 users.

post #194 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

 

Yep.  As soon as I turned 40 I went from being able to read the microprinting on US currency to not being able to read a newspaper comfortably without reading glasses.  It was almost that abrupt.  My eyes must have had a 40-year warranty.  iPhone EZ Reader edition?

 

 

I'm getting depressed.  I wore glasses/contacts since age 12 (21 years) until getting Lasik last year.  I want to at least enjoy it a few years before having to put on reading glasses LOL.  Nah, I knew in advance that was going to happen.  But for now I'm grateful, 20/15 vision.

 

On topic - it doesn't bother me a bit if Apple makes a larger phone, honestly.  I'm quite happy with my iPhone 5 screen size for now, but to each his or her own.  Variety is the spice of life, they say. 

 

It's pretty stupid how so many people here are getting riled about whether Apple should make an object a little bit bigger.  There are much larger problems in life, I'd say...

post #195 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

So limited...

40 million S3, 10 million note 2, 30 million (razr, xperia, One, dna, EVERY SINGLE high end android phone now) costumers Apple lost just because they do not offer big screens.

All these phones lose on everything else, cost the same, but have bigger screens, that's the reason they sell.
Would you lose something if Apple creates another iPhone model?

Stop your non-sense, please. 

I would argue that the reason they sold what they did had more to do with the special offers attached to them (gift cards, BOGOs etc. ) than screen size.
post #196 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post



The MBA was Apples attempt at the netbook market, IMO. Jobs declared that Apple didn't do junk, so a small form factor that wasn't junk at a reasonable price was developed...the MBA. What a nice alternative it is...

The Netbook began in late 2007. The MBA was intro'd in jan 2008. Apple didn't respond to the Netbook craze. It forged a new path to ultra portables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Same could be said of the smaller tablets out yet to counteract them Apple made the iPad mini. Doesn't matter how crappy netbooks are the fact was that people were buying them in droves. I believe that the 11" MBA is a netbook done right.

Thing is no company was making money on them. They sacrificed profits for market share. Luckily Apple does not think that way. Market share doesn't pay the bills.

If there is money to be made, Apple will get in the market. If there is a 5" iPhone, it won't replace the 4" one.
post #197 of 307
I'm getting a 5 inch +/- this year. Apple had better have one for me.
post #198 of 307
Originally Posted by toysandme View Post
Apple had better have one for me.

 

Try to enjoy your Samsung garbage!

post #199 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

 

You may not be alone, but I also don't think you're representative of the general public. Chasing niches is not what Apple needs to do.

 

Hilarious comment this. iPod aside, chasing niches is all that Apple does.

 

 

Simple fact of life is that people have their own personal preferences about screen size, and the closely correlated device size. This is true of smartphones, as it is true of Notebook computers, as it is true of tablets.

 

Apple recognises this in the last two categories, offering multiple screen sizes in iPads and MacBooks. Time for them to offer more choice with the iPhone. Otherwise they lose sales, and marketshare, and down the line, then developers ... and become even more of niche seller.

post #200 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCore View Post

Natural evolution-  the screen should be larger-   Apple must IMO,  develop a slightly larger form factor for a variety of reasons.
When the Iphone was released it was a huge step forward in many ways.  Today,  the small screen lacks.  

Reasons-  Typing accuracy,   eyesight limitations,   ease of use etc,  visual real estate.   Slimmer, lighter phones can easily handle the larger screen.

No point in letting other companies get a leg up. 



Apple should evolve to a 5" screen size, its a natural  direction.  Lets call it "Guy-phone"-    for those of us with big mitts. 

Those seeking smaller form factor-   a wrist worn repeater would do the trick.   I truly hope Apple is developing,  that too,  is a natural direction.  Again, no point in letting other companies..........

Apple will eventually release a larger iPhone. They are probably testing one right now to make sure everything is perfect from a usability standpoint before releasing it. There will probably be one released when a new version of iOS is released, though not necessarily iOS7. I don't think they will go the 5 inch plus route but something in the range of the G3 seems reasonable.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple 'leaving money on the table' by not releasing big-screen iPhone