or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple 'leaving money on the table' by not releasing big-screen iPhone

Apple 'leaving money on the table' by not releasing big-screen iPhone - Page 6

post #201 of 307
Originally Posted by kept View Post
…chasing niches is all that Apple does.

The opposite, in fact.

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

post #202 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Try to enjoy your Samsung garbage!

I think he'll be staying with Apple.  How's your iPhone 1 doing these days?

post #203 of 307
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post
I think he'll be staying with Apple.  How's your iPhone 1 doing these days?

Receiving daily use. You really think Apple would make a 5" phone one year after their 4" phone?

post #204 of 307

Why all these arguments about why Apple should or shouldn't have a 5-in iphone?  Just wait a bit, either the big-screen phone wave will die down or Apple will release a 5-in iphone.  Just as simple as that as Apple decided to follow the small screen tablet with the ipad mini.  That was a right decision.  (or not?? depends on how you look at it.  But who cares, it's here.)

post #205 of 307
Quote:

Receiving daily use. You really think Apple would make a 5" phone one year after their 4" phone?

Not as a replacement for the 4" and I doubt they'd use a resolution not already being utilized hence my 4.94" prediction weeks back. Note they released the iPad (3) with double the resolution in the same year as the iPad mini. If they deem the market worthy enough to enter and consider a 264 PPI display still highly usable without any damage to their iPhone brand than I think it could happen with as much upheaval as with the iPad mini.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #206 of 307
Quote:

Anything is possible. (4.94 not 5)

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #207 of 307
Quote:

I'm glad to hear it.

And yes I do.  That's 5" give or take.  Apple would be foolish to not tap such a large market.  For the purpose of this topic, I think there are four groups of phone customers, two of which Apple could appeal to with a larger phone:

1.  People who own the iPhone and want nothing larger than 4" or who might even be unhappy with Apple's choice to move up to 4".  These people will not choose the larger iPhone.

2.  People who own the iPhone and want a larger device.  These people will be attracted to the larger iPhone.

3.  People who own Android phones simply because they want a larger screen but would prefer to use an iPhone.  These people will be attracted to a larger iPhone.

4.  People who own Android phones because they prefer Android over iOS.  These people will not choose the larger iPhone.

I'm not going to give you any citations because this is purely speculative, but I think category 2 is at least 50% of the current iPhone market, though clearly not 50% of the vocal forum members here.  I think category 3 is between 20% and 30% of the current Android market.

Regardless of where the market percentages actually lie (be it 30% of iPhone users or 50% of Android users...you name it), I think there is a market that Apple is ignoring.

post #208 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit 
Anything is possible. (4.94 not 5)

Apple has demonstrated that the unexpected is possible when it's done for the right reasons. Switching to Intel, switching to unix, discontinuing the XServe, making an MP3 player, making a phone, making a tablet, making a slightly smaller tablet, making a widescreen phone without comprimising the width of the device.

A few people saying 'I want one' isn't enough to be the right reason. There would have to be significant market demand, which isn't demonstrated in the sales figures when the iPhone 5 outsells all of them:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/01/the-5-best-selling-phones-in-the-u-s-are-from-just-2-companies-apple-and-samsung/

There would have to be a very good reason why they would go back on what they said about the iPhone size being designed around the comfortable reach of a human thumb.
post #209 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevt View Post

Hilarious comment this. iPod aside, chasing niches is all that Apple does.

Simple fact of life is that people have their own personal preferences about screen size, and the closely correlated device size. This is true of smartphones, as it is true of Notebook computers, as it is true of tablets.

Apple recognises this in the last two categories, offering multiple screen sizes in iPads and MacBooks. Time for them to offer more choice with the iPhone. Otherwise they lose sales, and marketshare, and down the line, then developers ... and become even more of niche seller.

This is something people dont grasp, people do buy different products based entirely on their preference of what they want. If there is a market for a bigger (or smaller) product then Apple would be unwise to not tap it, especially if its going to sit at the premium end of the spectrum.

Now people complaining about having a bigger screen cause it makes the phone more difficult to use most likely havent realized there are some glaring usability problems with iOS that just dont make any sense anymore and need to be changed pretty damn soon. Jumping from the 4 to a Nexus device and now the 5 these have stood out the most

Just a couple of examples is that the back button is in the top left corner of numerous apps...this made sense when the screen was smaller but now its pretty difficult to use the phone easily with one hand, Android hasn't had this issue since their system controls are on the bottom of the phone. 

Next issue is the music controls, when in the app they are on the bottom (makes sense its easier to skip and play songs) but on the lock screen music controls are at the top and that means you have to rake your hand across the phone and that simply just doesn't make sense. Android puts the music controls in the middle of screen which makes it far easier to reach. I wish iOS did this but that would require a retooling of how notifications work on the home screen.

If Apple pushes beyond the paradigm they've established and make some changes to iOS i dont think Apple adding a bigger screen will make any problems with usability

post #210 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Apple has demonstrated that the unexpected is possible when it's done for the right reasons. Switching to Intel, switching to unix, discontinuing the XServe, making an MP3 player, making a phone, making a tablet, making a slightly smaller tablet, making a widescreen phone without comprimising the width of the device.

A few people saying 'I want one' isn't enough to be the right reason. There would have to be significant market demand, which isn't demonstrated in the sales figures when the iPhone 5 outsells all of them:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/01/the-5-best-selling-phones-in-the-u-s-are-from-just-2-companies-apple-and-samsung/

There would have to be a very good reason why they would go back on what they said about the iPhone size being designed around the comfortable reach of a human thumb.

Like I said earlier, arguing that there isn't demand for a larger iPhone simply because it outsells all other phones is fallacious.  There is only one phone running iOS: the iPhone.  All sales of iOS phones are sales of iPhones.  People have no choice but to choose the iPhone if they prefer iOS to Android.  If in some parallel universe iOS was running on a multitude of phones including but not limited to the iPhone, iPhone sales would be dramatically lower because the market for devices running iOS would be fragmented among many handsets.  And if in that same parallel universe, the iPhone was by far the best selling iOS device, then we could begin to draw conclusions about its success.  Would it be the screen size?  Would it be the build materials?  Would it be the home button?  Would it be the speaker quality?  Nobody knows because that universe isn't our universe.  In our universe, all we know is that more people buy phones with iOS than buy specific phones made by Samsung, HTC, Motorola, Sony, LG, or any other manufacturer. 

post #211 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Calls for Apple to make an iPhone with a larger display around 5 inches diagonally are growing among investors, who see a big-screen iPhone as a major revenue opportunity.

Apple's also leaving money on the table by not selling cinnamon raisin bread, raspberry wheat beer, and trips to the moon.

"leaving money on the table" is a stupid reason to push for a change in strategy. Unless you sell 100% of everything that someone needs, you're ALWAYS leaving money on the table. There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, being focused on producing a narrower line of industry leading products has been demonstrated to be the more profitable choice - just look at Apple's results next to HTC, for example.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #212 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Stay in denial all you want...

You might want to review the dictionary definition of "niche" before you go further.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #213 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Apple's also leaving money on the table by not selling cinnamon raisin bread, raspberry wheat beer, and trips to the moon.

"leaving money on the table" is a stupid reason to push for a change in strategy. Unless you sell 100% of everything that someone needs, you're ALWAYS leaving money on the table. There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, being focused on producing a narrower line of industry leading products has been demonstrated to be the more profitable choice - just look at Apple's results next to HTC, for example.

It's a pretty big table and Apple is eating plenty. I guess investors want Apple to eat it all.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #214 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You might want to review the dictionary definition of "niche" before you go further.

A baked flan or tart with a savory filling thickened with eggs?

post #215 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

There are several ways to wear  a phablet. You can carry it in a holster if you want to look even more ridiculous than wearing a fanny pack.

You can chain it around the neck. Heck, guys used to wear huge alarm clocks this way, why not a phone?

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #216 of 307
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post
In our universe, all we know is that more people buy phones with iOS than buy specific phones made by Samsung, HTC, Motorola, Sony, LG, or any other manufacturer. 

There's a reason for that.

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's a pretty big table and Apple is eating plenty. I guess investors want Apple to eat it all.

They demand Apple eat it all, otherwise they are doomed. And then when Apple does, they get sued for anti-trust issues.

post #217 of 307
Add phone capability to the iPad and iPad mini, and another phone to match the samsung 3, and shut everyone up. Having an iPad, it would be great to be able to take a phone call with a bluetooth headset while collaborating on a spreadsheet on the screen.
post #218 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

A baked flan or tart with a savory filling thickened with eggs?

Savory indeed!

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #219 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

An iPad mini 'phone' with the bluetooth earphone that I already use 100% of the time, and I'm in.

It's called SKYPE

post #220 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

If apple doesnt have a big screen when my contract expires, i am buying a nexus phone. And i am not alone

There definitely is a market for a larger screen iPhone.

I know a few people who bought the Samsung S for it's larger screen.  They admit they put up with shorter battery charge life and other android weaknesses.

I find the iPhone size fine, but not all have my very good close vision.

I find those who like the larger screen, definitely don't have my very good close vision. I prefer the higher quality iPhone screen, they don't notice the difference.

My suggestion is slightly less than 5" and greater than 4.5", perhaps about 4.7".

post #221 of 307
Quote:

Yes but not as a replacement. If there's money to be made Apple will enter the category.
post #222 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I’m genuinely curious as to why you want a phone with a bigger display? Everyone I have seen with a large Android device pressed against their heads looks like absolute twats. I can understand wanting a bigger display for content such as games/books/movies etc but then why wouldn’t you just get an iPad?

Apple has explained why they went for the 4” display, it’s the biggest they could go and still maintain one handed operation.

I find it rather easy to operate my 4.6" galaxy Nexus with one hand.  I am 6'-4" with big hands and simply find the iPhone too small...

I Started with Android because i have to use Verizon, but I stayed with it because I simply liked the screen and size of the Galaxy Nexus over the iPhone 4 which was the iPhone at the time.  I can't see the 1/2" added to the bottom of the iPhone 5 much of a reason to switch to the iPhone...

Seven people at my office got new phones in the last two months of the year.  All but one got Galaxy phones over iPhones (Two Switched from iPhone 4).  

Apple is losing customers over this issue...

post #223 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post

I just think it's too damn big. Put that in your back pocket, and see how fast it is stolen in a crowd?

I keep my galaxy Nexus in my front pocket.  Why do people always have to put the phone in their rear pockets????

I never understood the reasoning on that one....

post #224 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I’m genuinely curious as to why you want a phone with a bigger display? Everyone I have seen with a large Android device pressed against their heads looks like absolute twats. I can understand wanting a bigger display for content such as games/books/movies etc but then why wouldn’t you just get an iPad?

Apple has explained why they went for the 4” display, it’s the biggest they could go and still maintain one handed operation.

I need a bigger screen because i do a lot of internet on my phone and i need something between a tablet and a small phone for the job. I also would like a bigger screen because i cant see well at short distance now. I used low prescription glass for reading but i dont carry those all the time. 5" phones are here to stay, regardless of the people you thinks that because they dont need them, nobody needs them.

Another thing i like about the nexus 4 is its only 360$ unlock. Its the most popular phone at my work place amount people shopping for a new phone.
post #225 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

The Nexus 4 is made by LG.  I don't want to speak for the other gentleman, but the Nexus 4 is on the same level of quality as an iPhone 4 or 4s.  Glass back/front, it's a very well made phone.  My overall opinion is that Android phones are crap, cheaply made - except for this one.  If Google and it's hardware partners continue on that path, watch out.

Again, I don't want to speak for the other guy as your question was directed at him, not me - but 4.7 inches (Nexus 4) isn't much larger than the iPhone 5.  I will agree on the 5 + inch behemoths, etc, it's just ugly.  I know people love the Galaxy Note but it's just too big to use as a phone (my opinion)

But 4.7" on the Nexus is pretty much usable with one hand.  As much so as my iPhone 5.

Indeed. Most of the android devices dont have well balance specs and often have huge bottlenecks. But the nexus 4 is very well design and balance allowing a very nice price for what you get. Imo its beats the crap out of the more expensive iphone 4 and iphone 4s. To top it off I think android as leap over iOS in terms of innovation and power, making it a better OS for the moment.

It makes wonder what the hell is apple doing? They are sitting on pile of cash and not doing much of anything with it.
post #226 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Oh... so the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S weren't selling that well so Apple brought out the 4" iPhone 5 to compete with the larger phones that were selling well...  1rolleyes.gif

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #227 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

How do you know he's going with a Samsung?

Indeed. If I ever buy an android device its going to be a Nexus, I want something i can upgrade without dealing with manufacturers layers on top of android.
post #228 of 307
Quote:

Indeed. Most of the android devices dont have well balance specs and often have huge bottlenecks. But the nexus 4 is very well design and balance allowing a very nice price for what you get. Imo its beats the crap out of the more expensive iphone 4 and iphone 4s. To top it off I think android as leap over iOS in terms of innovation and power, making it a better OS for the moment.

It makes wonder what the hell is apple doing? They are sitting on pile of cash and not doing much of anything with it.

I'm sure Apple isn't gonna spend money just to spend it. Why waste 12.5 billion on a has-been mobile device company?

Btw, you prob mean Android 4.2 is better because most Android devices are stuck at 2.x.
post #229 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCore View Post

Natural evolution-  the screen should be larger-   Apple must IMO,  develop a slightly larger form factor for a variety of reasons.

When the Iphone was released it was a huge step forward in many ways.  Today,  the small screen lacks.  

Reasons-  Typing accuracy,   eyesight limitations,   ease of use etc,  visual real estate.   Slimmer, lighter phones can easily handle the larger screen.

No point in letting other companies get a leg up. 

Apple should evolve to a 5" screen size, its a natural  direction.  Lets call it "Guy-phone"-    for those of us with big mitts. 

Those seeking smaller form factor-   a wrist worn repeater would do the trick.   I truly hope Apple is developing,  that too,  is a natural direction.  Again, no point in letting other companies..........

I agree and have noticed many women have trouble holding the 4.5" and larger phones.

Even with my large hand the Samsung S3 is a handful, the largest phone I could safely hold.

post #230 of 307
It is indeed clear that Apple does not know how to make money!
post #231 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

Apple is losing customers over this issue...

If it's not this issue it's another:
No cheap feature phone for developing markets
No NFC chip
No SD card slot
No OLED screen with PenTile
No quad core CPU
No removable battery
No side loading of apps
No Android

All with the same justification: "Android is winning! Samsung is winning! Tim Cook needs to copy them to stay competitive!"

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #232 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I'm sure Apple isn't gonna spend money just to spend it. Why waste 12.5 billion on a has-been mobile device company?

Btw, you prob mean Android 4.2 is better because most Android devices are stuck at 2.x.

Perhaps a little surprising: Over 42% are now reported to be running 4.x.

It's a slow grind, and you're right that just over half are still on a 2.x version, but it's getting better.

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #233 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewyboy View Post

Yawn,
Same people said Apple was "leaving money on the table" when netbooks came about. All I have to say is WHEN Apple releases an "iMessage" for voice calls, it will shift the market.

What are you talking about. Such an app exists for long time. It is called FaceTime. And guess what it supports video as well.
post #234 of 307

With about 99% confidence, I believe that:

1. Apple will eventually make a 4.5-5" phone (and perhaps keep making a smaller model as well). 

2. About 95%* of the people who have written in this thread to argue that either (a) that Apple never will do so and/or (b) that such a device would be useless/dangerous/thiefbait will eventually own and like one. I would save the evidence of what they're saying now so that I can write "gotcha" when they reverse themselves later, but I'm too lazy.

* Respect to tallest skil for not reversing himself on the value of the iPad mini...so far. He did have to admit he was wrong about the market demand for it, though.

Bonus thought: IMO, I think 4.5" is the right size for a phone, 7" (4x3 aspect) the right size for an ebook reader, and 10" (16x9 or 16x10) the right size for a full-function tablet. But I'm not going to pretend that my preferences are the God-Given Truth for everybody.

post #235 of 307
Quote:

There's a reason for that.

You're right, and I explained it fully in the post you quoted from.

post #236 of 307
Poor eyesight is a big driver behind these big phones. Seniors like the simplicity of use of iOS, but they can't see what they're doing because they're old with crappy eyesight. They love the ipad because they can see it. Just give them the big iphone they want and I'll buy one too.
post #237 of 307
Quote:

The opposite, in fact.

You keep saying it, but providing no proof. The Mac is a niche player, period. It's a great computer, but it's not for everyone, and the market mostly has dismissed it, thus far. I love the Mac, but lets get real here. It's only a few percentage points above Linux in the market, and if you factor in enterprise usage, it gets waxed by Linux. It's a niche player, period.

post #238 of 307
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post
The Mac is a niche player, period.

No, it's built for the middle man. For the everyone. It's the computer designed for the person in the middle of the road, everyone, as broad as possible, to cover as large a market as possible. The niches are the people for whom it doesn't work. The people who believe they need multiple internal hard drives or the ones who DO need copious amounts of RAM and workstation processors. 

It's a niche player, period.

Ah, the old "If I keep repeating it, that makes it true" bit.

post #239 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by toysandme View Post

I'm getting a 5 inch +/- this year. Apple had better have one for me.

Or..what? You'll send Tim Cook an angry email? Apple is not going to make a 5inch phone this year. Accept that and move on. 

post #240 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by BauTC View Post

Quote:

If apple doesnt have a big screen when my contract expires, i am buying a nexus phone. And i am not alone
Agree.  I will also go with a larger screen if Apple does have one when my iphone contract expires--it would be first non-Apple phone since the iPhone was released.  Also, no I don't want phone functions in an iPad mini.  Finally, I also understand that many of you don't want a larger screen.  That's fine.  It's why there is an 11" and 13" MBA and a 13" and 15" MBP.  People want some options with screen size.  I will make due with pocketability problems and one handed operation problems to gain the benefits of the larger screen,

Apple could solve this issue by releasing two models and doing away with the others.  1. A plastic low end model with a 3GS body, lightning connector, and 4" screen.  2. A high end 5" screen with current body style of the ipad mini or current iphone five with upgraded internals.  This would solve their problem with size of screens.  Gives them a lower cost option and pushes lightning across all phones.
What about the people, who currently make up the vast majority of iPhone 5 and 4s users, who want a high end, smaller phone, with the best quality build anf best internals?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple 'leaving money on the table' by not releasing big-screen iPhone